PDA

View Full Version : Camera

Drake
06-23-2008, 00:41
Ok, so I am looking to do the trail next year, and I am looking for the best camera to do it with. My current consideration is the Canon G9. I know, its an expensive camera to take with me in a not so tame environment, but I want the flexibility of really good quality pictures, and the ability to enlarge them. Therefor, I am looking for at least an 8+ megapixel camera. I also want a 6X + zoom. I also want manual controls on it. Oh, and as few moving parts as possible.

I came to the G9 as a decision because it fits all those, unfortunatly its a 400 dollar camera....to take with me on a 6 month hike through rough terrain. Just curious what other people used on the trek. Keep in mind also that I plan to create a phot journal out of this, so again, the quality of pictures, at least some key shots, must be as good as it can get.

Thanks much

Dakota_
06-23-2008, 01:16
Check out the Panasonic DMC-TM4. It has a Leica 10x lens (Leica is a superb lens manufacturer) and 28 mm lets it shoot wide shots as well. The 10x zoom is awesome. It is about 8 mega pixels and can also record video.

It fits in my hipbelt pocket.

Dakota_
06-23-2008, 01:19
Oops, typo...it is the DMC-TZ4 not TM4

Heater
06-23-2008, 03:00
[quote=Drake;650654]

I have the G7 which is the G9 predecessor. (they skipped G8)

They are great cameras. I have taken mine out on 3 day trips but not on the AT or in real rainy conditions. It is great for the price, size, weight and functionality combined. Takes excellent photos too! :D

rafe
06-23-2008, 08:36
Might as well wait 'till next year to buy it, as digicams come and go pretty quickly. That said, I've had good luck with Canon digitals. Started with a G2, about six years ago, then an A620 as of 2006. No problems.

One consideration is to have a camera that's light enough to carry on a shoulder strap (for quick access) and cheap enough so that if you lose or break it you haven't broken the bank. If the camera is so fancy (or large) that it has to be "protected" and carried inside the pack -- it's lost a lot of value, right there.

earthbound
06-23-2008, 09:24
I'm using the Olympus Stylus camera. Mine is a 7mp but they probably will have a higher mp camera by the time you start. I love it out here because it is waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, and dustproof. It has been great. I keep it in my hipbelt pocket during bad weather. I can take pictures in the rain when others are keeping their cameras hidden in bad weather. I've dropped it in a waterfall, froze it several nights early on, and have taken a few underwater pictures. I've been impressed by the image quality and its indestructibility. its great for a thru hike

Lyle
06-23-2008, 12:11
Guess my experience with the Olympus Stylus line is different from the above. Mine is a Stylus 600. Very small, weatherproof, good name - these were the reasons I bought it.

However: I am very disappointed with the picture quality. Some are good, but there is no consistency. I find it very difficult to get a properly focused shot. I've been using cameras from simple point and shoot film, Nikon SLR film, Point and shoot digital and now a Nikon digital SLR. This Olympus is by far the least consistent.

As always, YMMV

Now after that rousing review, anyone wanna buy this camera, I have an extra battery for it, and a 1 Gig SD card. Make me an offer via PM. :D

winger
06-23-2008, 15:18
The TZ5 is the upgrade to the T4.
I bought it about a month ago, fantastic camera and will be my carry along on backpacking trips, casual hikes, etc etc.

2Questions
06-23-2008, 15:35
I've been pleased with my Canon S3 IS. 6mp with 12X zoom. Fits in a special hip belt case. Why do I like it so much? LCD screen is pivotable, IS mode for shaky low light shots without flash, stitch assist to create wide angle shots, AA batteries, great Canon features.

Kerosene
06-23-2008, 19:42
If I was going to be out there for months, then I'd definitely upgrade from my Pentax Optio 5Si to something that is waterproof. Unless you're doing professional photography or enlarging beyond 8x10, I'm not convinced that you need all 8 MP, but the 6X zoom will come in handy.

Look for an LCD screen that won't wash out in bright sunlight, and make sure that you have a good feel for what sucks up battery power. I'd spring for a second proprietary battery (or even a third if you take a lot of pictures!), plus a 2 GB memory card. Put your recharger in your bounce box and perhaps a replacement memory card.

hurryinghoosier
06-23-2008, 19:59
Olymus Stylus 850 SW
Great pictures
Many automatic settings
WATERPROOF,

bigcranky
06-23-2008, 19:59
I have a G-7, and have carried it on section hikes up to 8-10 days. As long as you are willing to keep it protected in your pack when the weather is bad, it's a great camera. Good manual controls, very good quality images for a point and shoot. The only downside for me is the extra weight, but the charger is pretty light. The camera, charger, 2 batteries and 2 cards weighs about 17 ounces total.

If you don't want to drop the $450, Canon makes some A-series cameras with similar lenses, internally stabilized, etc. The A-650 is $300, and the A-590 is $155, both at B+H Photo (one of the good stores.)