PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

woodsy
06-23-2008, 08:33
Yeah I got it on my forearm. At first thought it was a couple bug bites and the compulsion to scratch and appearance of blisters realized what it was.
Have been seeing alot of it in the woods and been really careful around it but somehow got it anyway.
So, just wondering what people in the field or on the trail use when the drug store is miles and days away.
Tried the baking soda paste 2x yesterday , relieved the itch for awhile but this morning no better.
Usually use Caladryl but have none on hand.
So whats a good field remedy that you've tried and works?
Juice from the stem of Jewelweed (http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm) is said to work but can't always find that.
edit: Juice from the stem before it flowers, crushed leaves are poulticed on recent rashes according to Peterson's Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs

Panzer1
06-23-2008, 08:37
If your on the trail and you get poison ivy the most you can do is wash real good with soap and water and don't scratch. You should always have soap when on the trail.

Panzer

JERMM
06-23-2008, 08:41
I keep a tube of cortisone cream in my pack, it's what works the best for me until I can get into town.

MOWGLI
06-23-2008, 08:45
Jewelweed is said to work but can't always find that.

Jewelweed does indeed work fine.

bigmac_in
06-23-2008, 08:58
I would agree with the cortisone cream.

The trail was LOUSY with poison Ivy from Sassafrass Gap to about Plum Orchard Gap in Georgia last week when I was on the trail. The trail maintainers had wacked most of it down from that point on - it wasn't bad to Deep Gap, NC where I got off the trail.

mudhead
06-23-2008, 09:17
I keep a tube of cortisone cream in my pack, it's what works the best for me until I can get into town.

You can also try oatmeal in paste form, if you have it in the house.

You may want to bite the bullet and go to town.

MOWGLI
06-23-2008, 11:04
If you get into a patch of posion ivy, don't hop into a hot shower afterwards. That'll only open your pores and make the exposure worse. Use cold water at first to rinse off the oils.

Lyle
06-23-2008, 11:12
Zanfel - over the counter, expensive, works immediately and GREAT.

Highly Recommended.

berninbush
06-23-2008, 12:06
Don't do what my friend did. ;) He had a massive rash all over his back, and he decided the cure would be to get a little sunburned so the sun would "dry up" the rash. Well, I think the burn did make him forget about the rash, but he miscalculated and got really major sunburn. I was spraying him down with Solarcaine (which might actually help Poison Ivy too... I don't know... it has local anesthetic). He deeply regretted that choice of "cure"!!

senache
06-23-2008, 12:46
Severe cases require steroids. Less severe, topical remedies. So as far as I'm concerned, if cortisone won't do, get medical attention and steroids.

woodsy
06-23-2008, 12:53
Zanfel - over the counter, expensive, works immediately and GREAT.

Highly Recommended.
At $30..00 per 1 oz. container, I think I'll get to know my Jewelweed better.
Read about and experimenting with Alo Vera juice from a house plant this morning. 5 hrs later have reduced swelling and no itching, works relatively fast.
I realize you won't find aloe in the woods but but many people have a "burn plant" in their home for a free alternative.

2Questions
06-23-2008, 13:05
Depends where your hiking of course...but I noticed that my poison ivy rash dries up pretty quick after swimming in the ocean. I've experimented with success covering the rash area with salt water from the brine tank of my water softener. Not likely to find one of those on the trail though!

Sissygirl
06-23-2008, 14:14
I am one of those that need only see it, seemingly, to break out. I did have a light case after completing GA several weeks ago. Last year I had to have shots, because the delightful stuff got on the inside of my eyelids. No thrill there!

Blissful
06-23-2008, 14:21
One tube in my first aid kit on the trail was hydrocortisone (the other was neosporin). Used it many times and glad I had it.

At home I use Zanfel. Price is worth it over the agony if the stuff spreads.

Lyle
06-23-2008, 15:05
At $30..00 per 1 oz. container, I think I'll get to know my Jewelweed better.
Read about and experimenting with Alo Vera juice from a house plant this morning. 5 hrs later have reduced swelling and no itching, works relatively fast.
I realize you won't find aloe in the woods but but many people have a "burn plant" in their home for a free alternative.

One ounce tube is good for several applications. More than one application has never been necessary for me. The stuff works!!! Itching disappears immediately, rash is gone in a day or two.

Well worth the cost compared to a week or more of misery and the additional risk of infection.

To each their own.

mudhead
06-23-2008, 15:08
Did the aloe vera work on the blisters, or the popped blisters?

Slimy goober, but if it works!

Panzer1
06-23-2008, 15:12
FYI, Panzer

Zanfel™ Poison Ivy Wash is a safe and effective topical solution for poison ivy, oak, and sumac. It is the only product known to remove urushiol, the toxin responsible for the reaction, from the skin after bonding, enabling the affected area to immediately begin healing. After using Zanfel, itching and pain are the first things to be relieved, usually within 30 seconds.

Unlike Zanfel, other products temporarily reduce itching but do nothing to remove urushiol. Zanfel removes urushiol by binding with it to create an aggregated cluster, which can quickly and effectively be washed away with water. Zanfel can be used at any time after exposure. Zanfel can be applied on any external body area, including the face and genitals, and is safe for use by children and pregnant or nursing women. In the case of systemic, or blood-based reactions, prescription steroids are usually required. If you suspect a systemic reaction, see your doctor immediately. Zanfel can be used in conjunction with steroid treatments.

use this product?
A: Zanfel™ Poison Ivy Wash is the only product known to remove poison ivy (urushiol) from the skin before or after breakout, providing virtually immediate relief of itching and pain.

Q: How does Zanfel stop the itching, redness, and swelling?
A: Zanfel removes urushiol, the oil in poison ivy that binds to the skin and produces the symptoms of itching, redness, and swelling. Zanfel surrounds and removes the toxin from the dermal layers so that the body may immediately begin healing, and will no longer attack itself. This process is done very quickly and efficiently so that relief usually comes within 30 seconds!

Q: Is Zanfel safe to use during pregnancy?
A: Yes. Zanfel is also safe for use by nursing women.

Q: Can I use Zanfel on the eyelids?
A: Yes. As with other strong soaps, Zanfel should be applied carefully, avoiding direct contact with the eye. If contact occurs, rinse the eye with cold water until the irritation subsides.

Q: Is it safe for the face and genitals?
A: Yes.

Q: Are there any side effects?
A: Yes. A good night's sleep without itching.

Q: Does zanfel have a shelf life?
A: Zanfel has a 10 year shelf life, so stocking up is no problem!!

Q: When I wash with Zanfel, how long will it be before I actually feel better?
A: The itch and pain are usually gone in 30 seconds!

Q: Do I have to use it soon after I get the rash?
A: Zanfel is effective at any point after contact with poison ivy and will provide relief regardless of how long you have suffered with the allergic reaction.

If you know within the first hour that you contacted poison ivy, sumac, or oak, some experts claim that plain soap and water might wash it off the skin. They suggest that washing is effective if you catch it within the first two to four hours after exposure. Other experts believe that unless you wash within the first 10 minutes, the oil will bind to the skin. Once the oil has bonded, Zanfel is the only substance known to remove the oil.

Q: What is a course of treatment with Zanfel?
A: Poison ivy, sumac, and oak secrete a toxin called urushiol oil. When human skin contacts this oil, it sets up an allergic reaction that causes itchy rashes, blisters, and lesions. A course of treatment with Zanfel involves washing the affected area until no itching remains. Some spots may contain more urushiol oil than others and, therefore, require a second washing with Zanfel. If you feel any itching whatsoever, you have not properly completed the first treatment!

After completing the first treatment, you should be itch-free and, within 24 hours, 75-80% of the rash also should disappear. For most people, no more treatments are required. For others, the deeper oils that were out of Zanfel's reach the first time begin to move up to the surface, and the itch may return within two to 24 hours, depending on the severity. In this case, a second treatment may be required. Note: For any severe reactions typically having the appearance of thick leathery spots, further applications may be needed in those areas only .

Q: How does it work?
A: Zanfel works safely into the dermal layer of your skin, binds to the urushiol oil, and, when rinsed off, takes the oil with it down the drain.

Q: It feels rough. Will it damage my skin?
A: Even though Zanfel is safe on damaged skin, excessive scrubbing with this or any other product is not recommended. Remember that the goal is to remove the urushiol oil, and this usually takes no more than 15 seconds of scrubbing. In fact, Zanfel also deep cleans the skin, promoting fast healing of the wound at the same time it is removing the toxin. Zanfel feels good when you scrub with it, even on cuts.

Q: Can I use Zanfel to clean off garden utensils and other items that have urushiol on them?
A: Yes. It is as effective on utensils as on human skin.

Q: Can Zanfel prevent me from getting poison ivy?
A: No. Zanfel actually removes the toxin

woodsy
06-23-2008, 18:50
Did the aloe vera work on the blisters, or the popped blisters?

Slimy goober, but if it works!
Yes it does by golly, much better now after 3 free applications today.
Swelling and itching took a serious hit, the twelve or so blisters are drying up.
Not saying other remedies mentioned here don't work but found relief without going to the RX. To each their own.:D
Heres the quote from a herbal remedy site which made me try it. I was desperate and didn't want to go to town.

Aloe Vera

Please add poison ivy treatment suggestion for your readers.Topical application of Aloe Vera Gel (whole leaf)99.5% Is very effective in healing the rash quickly.Aloe Vera is one of the few substances that is able to penetrate all the layers of the skin and absorbing foreign matter within.

rafe
06-23-2008, 19:29
Tecnu. It's a liquid soap made to deal with urushiol (the stuff that makes poison ivy and poison oak so nasty.) Get it at most drug stores. Comes in a small plastic bottle, not too expensive. I see from the web there's also a version that comes in a squeeze tube (http://www.tecnuextreme.com/index.htm).

clicker
06-24-2008, 09:13
Tecnu is the best! When I was a pro tree climber, I got poison ivy about once a week, and Tecnu always worked right away. It actually has diluted paint thinner or something that breaks down the oils, and grit in it to help scrub the stuff away. Tecnu extreme is one of the best products ever.

mudhead
06-24-2008, 09:16
Has anyone tried waterless hand cleaner to remove the oily stuff?

ozt42
06-24-2008, 11:23
If you are really lucky you are immune like me :)

I used to rub poison ivy on my hands and touch people I didn't like :D

Lyle
06-24-2008, 11:34
If you are really lucky you are immune like me :)

This too will pass...

Panzer1
06-24-2008, 15:56
I think two advantages of the Zanfel are:
1) since it only weights 1 ounce it is practical to carry and is small enough for your med kit
2) it has a shelf life of 10 years.

Panzer

IceAge
06-24-2008, 16:59
This too will pass...

Indeed, and when it does pass, it will SUCK!

I was immune to poison ivy for 32 years, apparently I got exposed one too many times and had my first case at age 33. It was a rager.

Slosteppin
06-24-2008, 19:12
Mudhead,
I carry a can of GOOP (waterless mechanics hand cleaner) in my truck just in case I get into poison ivy while doing day hikes or trail work. I've always been very allergic. The mechanics hand cleaner works very well. I've used it several times after getting in the stuff.

Slosteppin

sheepdog
06-24-2008, 19:42
This too will pass...
I'm 52 and the stuff still can't hurt me.:)

woodsy
06-24-2008, 20:10
Y'all cut it out , you're making me itch!

mudhead
06-24-2008, 20:23
Mudhead,
I carry a can of GOOP (waterless mechanics hand cleaner) in my truck just in case I get into poison ivy while doing day hikes or trail work. I've always been very allergic. The mechanics hand cleaner works very well. I've used it several times after getting in the stuff.

Slosteppin
Cool. Thanks.

Bearpaw88
06-24-2008, 22:28
Has anyone tried waterless hand cleaner to remove the oily stuff?

The stuff does work. Anything with alcohol is the best to get the oils off, but regular soap will work as well. I would urge people to not buy the expensive soap specifically made for removing ivy oils. It is a rip off as any soap will do. I use rubbing alcohol on trail whenever I even think I touch it. I have had it head to toe several times in my life so I am careful. I did get it while hiking this year but only a few patches on my leg. I just kept it clean and didn't scratch it (as much as I could). RX steroids work in bad cases within a day.

Ramble~On
06-24-2008, 23:55
I'm pretty sure that it was a similar thread here on WB that someone mentioned rubbing DAWN dish soap onto the infected area. I get poison ivy once or twice a year no matter how careful I am around it.
I had some on my arm for a day or two and tried the DAWN thing-it worked...not only did it clear up the rash it also stopped the itch in a about a minute. I'm ot sure if all dish soap are the same but remember hearing that regular "DAWN" works.

Bleach works :eek: but you might not want to go this route.
I've had severe poison ivy...lots of it and it wouldn't go away...
A little bird whispered that if you lance the rash and apply bleach with a Q tip it'll kill the rash.....a tad extreme but it works instantly and clears up the rash in about a day. Wipe the skin down with bleach, lance the blisters and bleach them... Extreme yeah but it works.

Cortaid Poison Ivy Care "Removal Scrub" is pricey but works great

teachergal
06-25-2008, 00:20
I got PI a few years back from my dog - I hadn't realized I'd been exposed - I used the zanfel and it worked only I had a bad case, made worse I think by the Zyrtec I'm on - anyway when I finally went to the dr - after it was mostly healed - she suggested that I wash the dog and myself in Dawn. I got a topical steriod ointment that cleared things up pretty quick...

Ramble~On
06-25-2008, 04:37
I wonder what it is about Dawn that works for P.I.
When I used it I smeared it onto dry skin and rubbed it in until it was almost dry. The itching stopped really fast and the rash went away after a day or two.

canoehead
06-25-2008, 07:52
Many times the cure grows right next to the cause of the itch.
wash it ASAP, Oil can hang around on gear for a long time.

woodsy
06-25-2008, 07:52
With hiking and poison ivy season upon us, its great to hear all the different remedies for fighting the itch and oil.
I'm on my 3rd day of applying aloe vera gel from a houseplant and although its not an overnight cure it keeps the itch at bay pretty well.
I did get to town and picked up some cheap $5.oo calamine stuff called IVAREST, claims 8 hour relief and is practically useless. Aloe gel is working much better.

mudhead
06-25-2008, 11:06
Time to fertilize that plant.

Likes lime, too.

PM me if you are lacking.

Bear Cables
06-25-2008, 11:09
Non scented Ban Roll-on deoderant , just don't reuse it under your arms.:eek:

I'm wondering if purell would help. I used it on some very inflamed gnat bites and found it worked better than the bug bite stuff. It contains alcohol and dries the area up. I'm thinking that plus a dose of benadryl at night might be helpful.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 13:42
Non scented Ban Roll-on deoderant , just don't reuse it under your arms.:eek:

I'm wondering if purell would help. I used it on some very inflamed gnat bites and found it worked better than the bug bite stuff. It contains alcohol and dries the area up. I'm thinking that plus a dose of benadryl at night might be helpful.

benadryl is very helpful to keep the itch down

teachergal
06-25-2008, 17:41
Dawn cuts grease - oil is grease.

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2008, 17:48
Not poison ivy, but amazing. We have vines every where here in the D.C. area. I put this hose up less than 24 hours ago and look what's happened.

Chance09
06-25-2008, 19:01
This is copied from wikipedia so if its incorrect i apologize, but i read it the last time i had posion ivy and thought it interesting. Especially the part about how poison ivy "spreads" while in all actuality it doesn't spread its just a part of your body that had less oil on it.

"The reaction caused by poison-ivy, urushiol-induced contact dermatitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol-induced_contact_dermatitis), is an allergic reaction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergy). Around 15%[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy#cite_note-3) to 30%[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy#cite_note-4) of people have no allergic response, but most if not all will become sensitized over time with repeated or more concentrated exposure to urushiol. Note that reactions that worsen over time may progress to anaphylaxis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis) and can therefore be dangerous, even life-threatening.
For those who are affected by urushiol, it causes a very irritating rash. In extreme cases, corticosteroids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corticosteroids) can be needed to treat rashes and severe itching. The first symptom of contact is a severe itching of the skin that develops into reddish colored inflammation or non-colored bumps, and then blistering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister) of the skin occurs. In severe cases, clear fluids ooze from open blistered sores. Once the urushiol poison has had contact with the skin, it is quickly bound to the skin.
The oozing fluids released by itching blisters do not spread the poison. The appearance of a spreading rash indicates that some areas received more of the poison and reacted sooner than other areas. The blisters and oozing result from blood vessels that develop gaps and leak fluid through the skin; if the skin is cooled, the vessels constrict and leak less. If poison ivy is burned and the smoke then inhaled, this rash will appear on the lining of the lungs, causing extreme pain and possibly fatal respiratory difficulty. If poison ivy is eaten, the digestive tract, airway, kidneys or other organs can be damaged.
Understanding why new lesions may develop for two weeks (studied on forearm) after one exposure was made clear by a University of Miami scientist: larger amounts have earliest onset and largest reaction, smallest produce a delayed reaction. The overall severity 'progresses' with the combined active lesions. Therefore, the last new lesion should occur at two weeks after last exposure, the total rash (untreated) may go on for 3-4 weeks.
Urushiol oil can remain active for several years, so handling dead leaves or vines can cause a reaction. In addition, oil transferred from the plant to other objects (such as pet fur) can cause the rash if it comes into contact with the skin."

Panzer1
06-25-2008, 19:19
Can animals eat poison ivy?

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 19:28
Can animals eat poison ivy?

Panzer

Apparently so.

Although poison ivy causes many of us discomfort, the plant has some merits. For example, many birds including warblers, woodpeckers, bluebirds and vireos, eat poison ivy berries. Rabbits, deer, black bear, and muskrats and other animals eat the fruit, stems and leaves.

Thick stands of poison ivy provide cover for small wildlife. The plant's ability to thrive in disturbed habitats also makes it valuable in protecting soil from erosion.http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2005/03/50.htm

Poison-ivy sap and its urushiol are basically harmless to everything but us. Deer, goats, horses, cattle, and many birds eat the foliage and fruits of the poison ivy plant. Flea beetles and armyworms chew their leaves, unaffected, says John Meyers of North Carolina State University. These parts are loaded with sap. Humans, though, are a different story. Eighty to 90 % of adults will get an allergic rash. All it takes is 50 micrograms (less than a grain of salt) of urushiol and at least a two-time exposure.

The human-blistering agent (urushiol) in the sap probably has no value to the plant’s survival: an accidental byproduct. Poison-ivy sap evolved as a gooey aid for injuries and a weapon against disease. The resinous sap helps heal plant wounds and may slow growth of infection-causing fungi and bacterial spores.http://www.wonderquest.com/ivy-octopus.htm

Bob S
06-25-2008, 19:41
Wipe the area down with gasoline, it washes the oil right out.

A few years ago a friend and I walked through some ivy, we noticed it a little while later that we did this. I immediately wiped down my legs with gasoline from my Svea stove. Then washed them with cold water & soap a few times. She did not want to do this, after all gas smells. I did not get any of the scratching or breakouts on my legs, she did. The gasoline worked great.

I know someone will post how it’s bad to wipe gasoline all over your legs with a rag, but it works and is a lot more pleasant then all that itching from ivy.

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 19:45
Wipe the area down with gasoline, it washes the oil right out.

A few years ago a friend and I walked through some ivy, we noticed it a little while later that we did this. I immediately wiped down my legs with gasoline from my Svea stove. Then washed them with cold water & soap a few times. She did not want to do this, after all gas smells. I did not get any of the scratching or breakouts on my legs, she did. The gasoline worked great.

I know someone will post how it’s bad to wipe gasoline all over your legs with a rag, but it works and is a lot more pleasant then all that itching from ivy. There are less harmful ways of removing the oil and preventing the rash than using gasoline, such as using rubbing alcohol.

Amputating the affected limb would be an effective method of preventing an outbreak as well, but non-harmful methods of treatment are preferred!

Bob S
06-25-2008, 20:06
I didn’t think it would take long, the first post after mine about gas being dangerous.

I an almost 50, I have worked with my dad for years on cars (he was a mechanic and worked on autos all the time) Since I was 7 or 8-years old I have cleaned auto parts with gasoline or kerosene a few times a month. I got it all over my hands and it never did anything bad to me.

I can understand a person not wanting gas on them, but it washes off and it does kill the ivy oils on your skin. To me it’s worth it.

I have Ivy Out in my first aid kit, it doesn’t work as well as gas.

Bob S
06-25-2008, 20:09
Amputating the affected limb would be an effective method of preventing an outbreak as well, but non-harmful methods of treatment are preferred!

It’s amazing how you make the jump from wiping your leg down with a few ounces of gas to cutting it complete off with a saw or the like. You need a reality check.

mudhead
06-25-2008, 20:10
You keep using the gas if you want.

Try not to huff it.

Hey Woodsy! Did you read the part about recurring eruptions? Yeehaw!

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 20:12
It’s amazing how you make the jump from wiping your leg down with a few ounces of gas to cutting it complete off with a saw or the like. You need a reality check.
Just making it apparent that just because a treatment is effective doesn't mean it should be used. Rubbing alcohol will work just as well. A detergent would also remove the oil. I'm not saying that gasoline wouldn't work, I'm just saying it certainly isn't necessary to use it when there are safe and effective treatments available. Thalidomide prevents nausea in pregnant women, too.

Joey
06-25-2008, 22:42
My Grandmother was born and raised in the mountains near Canton, NC. She said they used a small bar of lye soap and wash real good and that will clean the oil/sap from your skin. I am very allergic to it and have to have shots if I get infected bad. I found some lye soap in Saluda, NC and have used it a couple of times after being exposed to poison Ivy. Well, I DID NOT break out in the rash. The lye soap worked.

SunnyWalker
06-25-2008, 23:13
But how do you get poison ivy under the eyelids?? rubbing your eyes?

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 23:30
But how do you get poison ivy under the eyelids?? rubbing your eyes?If you get the oil on your hands or arms and touch your eyes then you could get it there. This would be easy to do while asleep. The blisters are basically an allergic reaction to the oil.

Many people who have fever blisters do not realize that if they touch their eyes after touching the sores they can get a herpes infection of the eyes which can even cause a need for corneal transplant to restore vision.

There are good reasons your mother told you to keep your hands off your face.

dmax
06-26-2008, 00:18
An idea I had would be to keep your eyes open for jewels weed, if you don't have anything else. If your still a day or two from your next town, you could cut some pieces of the plant and put it in a zip-lock bag, to use at a later through out the day.
For bad cases I use zanfel but I'll sure try some of the other ways everybody has mentioned, Well, except the amputating thing.

Bearpaw88
06-26-2008, 00:25
My Grandmother was born and raised in the mountains near Canton, NC. She said they used a small bar of lye soap and wash real good and that will clean the oil/sap from your skin. I am very allergic to it and have to have shots if I get infected bad. I found some lye soap in Saluda, NC and have used it a couple of times after being exposed to poison Ivy. Well, I DID NOT break out in the rash. The lye soap worked.

Lye soap does work better than other soaps to remove the oil, but I have found alcohol to work even better. The higher % the better.