PDA

View Full Version : Damascus is kool..

Swiss Roll
06-23-2008, 09:55
I visited the town for the first time yesterday on my way from Almost Heaven to Sweet (Sweat) Home. I guess it never registered with me that the Creeper is there. Bikes and hikers everywhere! It was like this harmonic convergence of my two favorite activities. I just walked around town for a couple hours, poking in the shops, puttering along the trail in my crocs-a total tourist. I can't wait to get back and do the Creeper. That brings me to my question; How do most people bike the VCT; a thru-bike of the whole thing or in two parts, ending each half in Damascus? Thanks. What an awesome town.

trippclark
06-23-2008, 10:30
I visited the town for the first time yesterday on my way from Almost Heaven to Sweet (Sweat) Home. I guess it never registered with me that the Creeper is there. Bikes and hikers everywhere! It was like this harmonic convergence of my two favorite activities. I just walked around town for a couple hours, poking in the shops, puttering along the trail in my crocs-a total tourist. I can't wait to get back and do the Creeper. That brings me to my question; How do most people bike the VCT; a thru-bike of the whole thing or in two parts, ending each half in Damascus? Thanks. What an awesome town.

The most popular route is from Whitetop to Damascus. That is the only section that I have biked and I have done so 4 or 5 times. I want to do the other half, but have not yet. My impression from talking with others in the bike shops in Damascus is that the Abingdon to Damascus (or Damascus to Abingdon) section is much, much less traveled.

CaseyB
06-23-2008, 10:53
It was like this harmonic convergence of my two favorite activities. .

Lots more biking other than the Creeper:

Mtn: Iron Mountain Trail 'system', 150+ miles of mostly connected singletrack strung out east of town
Road: US58, Shady Valley loops, severa; others which can be based out of town

10-K
06-23-2008, 11:21
Lot's of people hiking the AT up that way too. I passed more people hiking between Grayson-Highlands and Damascus last week than I did thru hikers when I hiked Springer to Fontana last month. I bet I never hiked for more than an hour my entire 75 mile hike without passing at least one other person. I passed at least 5-6 groups of 10 or more which I suspect were wilderness youth organizations judging by ages.

Wonder
06-23-2008, 12:27
No other place like it!!!!!

max patch
06-23-2008, 12:42
I can't wait to get back and do the Creeper. That brings me to my question; How do most people bike the VCT; a thru-bike of the whole thing or in two parts, ending each half in Damascus? Thanks. What an awesome town.

The overwhelming majority do Whitetop to Damascus only.

We did that a couple months ago and on our next trip we're going to do the whole Creeper over 2 days; each half ending in Damascus.

When we're done we play basketball at the town park.

generoll
06-23-2008, 13:07
Damascus as a town never impressed me all that much, but wow the countryside! I loved the Highlands and definitely want to go back and do some more hiking and just general laying around. Scales was neat and I'd love to base some loop hikes out of there.

I don't think the ponies are saddle broke so might as well leave your tack at home. ;)

CaseyB
06-24-2008, 00:04
Lot's of people hiking the AT up that way too. I passed more people hiking between Grayson-Highlands and Damascus last week than I did thru hikers when I hiked Springer to Fontana last month. I bet I never hiked for more than an hour my entire 75 mile hike without passing at least one other person. I passed at least 5-6 groups of 10 or more which I suspect were wilderness youth organizations judging by ages.

Howdy 10-K! Didn't know you were still hiking. We met north of Hiawassie / US 76, trailname Conductor.

Tennessee Viking
06-24-2008, 02:11
A lot of people will shuttle up to the end near Whitetop and bike back into Damascus or further to Abingdon.

My father goes on it regularly and does that. He usually shuttles through some Creeper shop next to MRO and Blue Blaze.

But he tells me of a few people that ride it daily. THE ENTIRE THING DAILY.

You haven't had the entire Damascus experience until you run through MRO, eat at the Dairy King (if it hasn't changed), attend Trail Days with a water gun in hand, and run into and chat with the all the Damascus hiking locals.

Its the best road route on the trail.