PDA

View Full Version : Trail Maintenance Advice

rootball
06-23-2008, 16:05
There is a 5.5 mile trail that I use often to get to a ridge. It ties into some good loop hikes. The trail is in great condition at the lower end, but the upper 2 -2 1/2 miles are getting really overgrown with Laurel. There are at least 8 logs across the trail that are a real pain - too low to go under, and just high enough to drag a nad.
I want to cut some logs and clear some brush. Just enough that the trail is passable without tearing a pack or poking out an eye.
What is a good tool for getting through laurel? I don't want to chop my leg off or get that numb wrist feeling from chopping all day. Has to be hand power - I don't want anyone else to have a bad weekend because of my noise-although I rarely if ever see people on this trail.
I saw this, but do not want to shell out that kind of money
http://www.woodmanspal.com/

I really like the look of that tool. Is there a poor boy option that anyone knows of for something similar. I have an old machete, but it sucks and has a taped up plastic handle.

******* Disclaimer I just want advice on the best tool for this job- life lessons, moral advice, and general ******* comments are not welcome.

MOWGLI
06-23-2008, 16:10
Who owns the land? If it's the US Forest Service, they can probably provide you with the tools that you need.

I don't think the tool in the link will be very effective. A good hand saw and pair of loppers should suffice.

ki0eh
06-23-2008, 16:15
Unless prohibited, a powerful hand-carried brushwhacker with a three-cornered blade will take Kalmia latifolia back 5 to 10 years in one afternoon per mile. I only did a third of my A.T. section with one because I felt guilty about how it looked without a crew to drag the branches out of the trail. A month later and now two years later it looked great. So I went back and finished the section with a buddy (definitely good with power tools) to help kick the stuff out of the trail. Depending on one's motivation, an hour of two of buzzing soon evaporates in the moths and years of pleasant experiences for those hiking the trail.

There is much sage, pithy, and non-bureaucratic advice based on the author's four decades of volunteer trail maintenance experience, much of it fighting what he sometimes refers to as the "state weed," in this publication: http://www.hike-mst.org/overseers.pdf

If you really must stay non-powered, the Corona hand saw and a pair of powerful loppers will help. When new the Fiskars geared bypass loppers (which I discovered at a Wal-Mart when I forgot the ones that cost 2x and work 1/2 as well) will work nicely. This year the Wal-Mart buyers seem to have looked askance at the short handled geared loppers so I was told by another fan of those that one might need to look online. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000950Q2/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=277661601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004SD73&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JGFZ77AFVHY4KAN3H8V I guess you could use anvil loppers on laurel but I always carry the bypass because I'd rather not carry two sets. Don't twist when cutting with loppers so the loppers last a lot longer.

jlb2012
06-23-2008, 16:27
I agree with MOWGLI - a good hand saw like the Corona 21 inch pro pruning saw and a pair of loppers will do most blow down/ brush up work - the Corona pro will do up to 12 inch hardwood and up to 18 inch softwood when assisted with a wedge (I used to use an old dulled hand ax head for a wedge)

biggest thing to watch out for - tennis elbow or shoulder bursitis - either one of which can really suck

walkin' wally
06-23-2008, 17:24
Would you want to adopt that section of trail for maintenance? Someone must own it so maybe go see the owner and see if someone is already supposed to be maintaining that section. I'm sure other hikers would appreciate your efforts. :)

I like meeting other hikers when I am working on my section.

rootball
06-23-2008, 19:55
I hope I can get one this week. I'm all fired up about trail fixin'. Anyways, thanks for the comments. And I think the saw is a very safe alternative to whackin around in the woods with a big sharp knife.

ki0eh
06-23-2008, 21:40
Don't forget the power loppers. Big timesaver! :)

Tennessee Viking
06-24-2008, 02:26
I just use loppers for roots, branches, and rodos. Then hedge shears for weeds. Then hand saws, pulaski axes, and cuttermatics for small trees and blowdowns. Chainsaw and wedges for the big ones (which you have to be certified for).

canoehead
06-24-2008, 05:59
I agree go with the Walkin' Wally idea first. then use the tools mentioned by buliwyf
thats about it.

Lyle
06-24-2008, 09:08
I applaud your intentions and in no way wish to discourage you from becoming involved with trail maintenance. I have a couple of "Howevers" tho:

1) Please do try to find out who is responsible for this section officially. Coordinate your efforts with them. Sometimes there are landowner/legal issues and if some of those are going on then any significant cutting/trimming/reconstruction can get those folks into some serious trouble. I speak from experience of our local chapter of the North Country Trail Association - Our chapter president got threatened with severe legal action/fines over brushing a section of existing trail without the proper permits. Also, the National Park Service offers insurance for volunteers who are operating with the official maintaining organization in case of injury during your work (you do not need to be a member of the organization, just officially working on their behalf). They do not cover individuals working unsanctioned. This is part of their Volunteers in the Parks program.

2) Please do some research on the proper way to trim/maintain a trail. Things such as how wide/high to trim, where to make your cuts, and for heavens sake, how to SAFELY do tree removal! Many times, well intentioned individuals have trimmed in ways that leave some pretty significant hazards to hikers/bikers/horse folks, without even realizing it. Granted, we often are trying to discourage some of these uses, but again, you may be setting the official/legal maintainers up for some legal problems if anyone gets hurt as a result of improper trimming.

Most any organization will welcome a volunteer with open arms, please do help out. But there are real reasons for doing so officially. Thanks again for your willingness to help out, that's how I got started years ago, just wanting to give something back.

notorius tic
06-24-2008, 09:22
I applaud your intentions and in no way wish to discourage you from becoming involved with trail maintenance. I have a couple of "Howevers" tho:

1) Please do try to find out who is responsible for this section officially. Coordinate your efforts with them. Sometimes there are landowner/legal issues and if some of those are going on then any significant cutting/trimming/reconstruction can get those folks into some serious trouble. I speak from experience of our local chapter of the North Country Trail Association - Our chapter president got threatened with severe legal action/fines over brushing a section of existing trail without the proper permits. Also, the National Park Service offers insurance for volunteers who are operating with the official maintaining organization in case of injury during your work (you do not need to be a member of the organization, just officially working on their behalf). They do not cover individuals working unsanctioned. This is part of their Volunteers in the Parks program.

2) Please do some research on the proper way to trim/maintain a trail. Things such as how wide/high to trim, where to make your cuts, and for heavens sake, how to SAFELY do tree removal! Many times, well intentioned individuals have trimmed in ways that leave some pretty significant hazards to hikers/bikers/horse folks, without even realizing it. Granted, we often are trying to discourage some of these uses, but again, you may be setting the official/legal maintainers up for some legal problems if anyone gets hurt as a result of improper trimming.

Most any organization will welcome a volunteer with open arms, please do help out. But there are real reasons for doing so officially. Thanks again for your willingness to help out, that's how I got started years ago, just wanting to give something back.
Get the weed wacker out get the cut saw an "KISS it" you walk the trail an think off the ithers around you..

MOWGLI
06-24-2008, 09:22
Another advantage of notifying the landowner or land manager... On federal lands, if you sign up as a volunteer, you are completely covered in the event that you are injured. If you are out there on your own and injure yourself, you're SOL.

On trails maintained by non-profit groups... the non-profit can use your volunteer hours to match federal & state grants. So they always want to know who is doing what & where. Your volunteer time is worth upwards of $16/hour to a non-profit. I think the federal rate may be actually over $18/hour these days.

Lyle
06-24-2008, 09:25
On trails maintained by non-profit groups... the non-profit can use your volunteer hours to match federal & state grants. So they always want to know who is doing what & where. Your volunteer time is worth upwards of $16/hour to a non-profit. I think the federal rate may be actually over $18/hour these days.

Very true, another great reason to join officialdom.

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 09:33
Lyle: Excellent post!

rootball
06-24-2008, 16:07
I did not know about all the reasons to be 'official'. Some really good reasons. I already called this morning and they put me through to the trail maintainers voice mail - I left a message and my number - he is supposed to be in on Wednesday. I hope it is easy to sign up to be a volunteer and lend some assistance.
I am glad I posted my question in this board - thanks again for all the advice, I learned much more than I sought.

rootball
07-19-2008, 19:50
I got signed up on Friday as a Volunteer. They have the tools that I need and were very helpful. I have already worked on the trail a few days over the last few weeks. Thanks again for all the advice- it got me headed in the right direction.

ki0eh
07-20-2008, 17:32
Great!! We're glad to have you!

LIhikers
07-21-2008, 13:26
Welcome to the great world of trail maintenance.