PDA

View Full Version : Slippery when wet

Slo-go'en
06-23-2008, 20:38
It been raining a lot up here in the "North Country" the last couple of weeks, as if often does in June. There was a break in the weather Saturday afternoon, so I went on a day hike up the side of Mt Madison to Dome Rock and quickly discovered the Montrail boots I've been using this season don't stick to wet rock - at all. :eek: In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a pair of light weight boots which will.

Sure wish I could find something that works even half as well as my old Limmer classic heavy weights. (now on thier third pair of soles) I still use them on occasion when I want bulletproof feet, but thier way too heavy to use on anything but short trips now in my old age and sore knees.:(

fiddlehead
06-23-2008, 22:41
Limmer's use Vibram soles don't they?
I know a guy who sewed Vibram soles onto his bedroom slippers and turned them into comfortable outdoor shoes.
He was quite an inventor, always looking for ways to improve on things.

Are you using Montrail Trail running shoes? Like the Vitesse? My Vitesse's always seemed to grip the slippery rock great. I even used them in snow in the Himalayas up to 20,000'

I believe the trail runners have better soles than just their regular runners that marathon guys would use. Let us know your model please.

4eyedbuzzard
06-23-2008, 22:54
Lot of different Vibram compounds made. Some are stickier than others. Usually a trade off of tackiness vs durability.

Slo-go'en
06-24-2008, 01:29
Not sure what model they are, but are full boots with gortex. One reason I bought them was they had Vibram soles. I put 500 miles on them this spring and are still in good shape, no complaints there. All in all, a pretty decent boot. But even with less wear, I had some trouble with wet rocks in NC. Came close to taking a header couple of times. Too bad there's no way to test a boot on wet rock before you buy them!

fiddlehead
06-24-2008, 02:42
I'd try the trail runners.
But then, if you're used to Limmers, trail runners will feel like you are not even on your feet.

Why not try spilling some water on a tile or smooth cement floor in or near the store and compare them to your Limmers?

mudhead
06-24-2008, 07:34
I have had better luck in the past with soles that are "two" component. Two different materials. Guess one is stickier. But they wear out quick.

It has been so damp here on the coast, that the black lichens are happy. Some shady spots have "algae" or some other green stuff. Alot of rocks are "sweaty." Nothing sticks to that greasiness. OK on the open granite.

Try your running shoes.

Old Hillwalker
06-24-2008, 08:35
I too have never found another boot not counting "rock shoes" that have the stickines of my 1980 Limmer Standards. I have been trying out a pair of Keen Arroyos for my upcoming thru and they are wonderfully light and seem pretty stable, but they tend to be slippery. Last Saturday I wore them up Falling Waters, across Franconia Ridge and down Skookumchuck and slipped and fell once with lots of minor slippage going down hill on less than dry rocks and ledges. I also found myself looking at every foot placement which with my Limmers is not normally necessary. I was only carrying about 15 pounds and worry that once I get up to around 25 pounds that there will be problems. I intend to bounce my Limmers for use on "K", the Whites, PA rocks, and when winter sets in. The Keens are my mud/water/mild terrain choice. I spent some with an older couple on the trail near Moose Hillock last summer who did their full thru using Keen Arroyos and had nothing but praise for them.

Blissful
06-24-2008, 11:56
Not much seems to grip good on slimy, wet rocks unfortunately. My trail runners don't. :(

Kerosene
06-24-2008, 14:17
Here's an out-of-the-box (off-the-wall?) idea: Before you throw the boots away, think about trying to "sipe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping)" the Vibram soles by cutting a series of tight, moderately deep grooves into the soles with a very sharp, thin knife. This should improve traction, but at the expense of accelerated wearing. I almost resorted to doing this through the Whites, even though conditions were relatively dry, as my Vibram soles with 500 miles weren't nearly as tacky as I would have liked.

Many tire stores do this to re-invigorate a set of worn tires. I wonder if they'd do it on a pair of boots?

funkcicle
06-24-2008, 14:20
I always remind myself (and anyone I happen to be hiking with) aloud when encountering wet rocks: "Wet rocks are NOT my friend." They're sly... don't immediately jump out as menacing, but man they're the most terrifying thing in the woods to me.

Kerosene
06-24-2008, 14:44
I always remind myself (and anyone I happen to be hiking with) aloud when encountering wet rocks: "Wet rocks are NOT my friend." They're sly... don't immediately jump out as menacing, but man they're the most terrifying thing in the woods to me.Ahh, then you haven't met their close cousin -- wet roots or logs stripped of their bark!

Summit
06-24-2008, 15:12
No matter what the shoes or soles, there is no substitute for careful foot planting when traversing wet rocks, roots, and logs. One shouldn't try to maintain a 4mph pace in those conditions! ;) I definitely wouldn't go slicing up the soles. They wear out and break down fast enough without any encouragement! :)

saimyoji
06-24-2008, 15:16
Felt always grips wet rocks. Try making a felt over-sole you can slip on when you need. Kinda like a felt crampon type thing.

rafe
06-24-2008, 15:25
Wet wood is the worst.

Time To Fly 97
06-24-2008, 15:50
I slipped off a bog bridge in Maine and (thanks to my Lekis) landed on my feet...but chest deep in bog mud. Sometimes it is just meant to be that you get a challenge thrown your way : )

BTW -It was a cold day and yet the mud warm. Shocking contrast to the icy water I cleaned off in. Good times!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Old Hillwalker
06-24-2008, 18:57
I slipped off a bog bridge in Maine and (thanks to my Lekis) landed on my feet...but chest deep in bog mud. Sometimes it is just meant to be that you get a challenge thrown your way : )

BTW -It was a cold day and yet the mud warm. Shocking contrast to the icy water I cleaned off in. Good times!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Sounds like the "sinking bog bridges" of Mt Success

Slosteppin
06-24-2008, 19:03
I hiked around Isle Royale in 2 weeks late last summer. We had 4 days of rain. I was hiking alone on the most difficult trail (mostly bare rock) for 3 of the rainy days. I was wearing New Balance 805 trail runners. I never slipped. but I was also very careful every step that I had at least one hiking pole planted firmly. I consider the hiking poles as important as soles with a good grip.

Slosteppin

mudhead
06-24-2008, 20:32
Ahh, then you haven't met their close cousin -- wet roots or logs stripped of their bark!

Wet wood is the worst.

Dry oak leaves. With frost. Kissing cousin.

Mr. Clean
06-28-2008, 12:42
Can't compare to Limmers, but Beans Mtn treads stick as well as anything I've ever worn.