PDA

View Full Version : Getting Off

Monkeywrench
06-24-2008, 08:16
A question for those of you who started a thru in the past and got off the trail before completing your hike: Why did you get off?

I know the odds are against completing a thru and I am just trying to do what I can to improve my odds. I figure knowing why others got off and trying to prepare, either physically or mentally, can only help. In addition to knowing why you got off the trail, I'd like to hear what you think now. Do you regret your decision? Do you now think you could have stayed on if you had [rested for a couple days / seen a doctor / not listened to that other person / taken the advice of your fellow hikers / called home more often / ???????]?

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 08:17
A question for those of you who started a thru in the past and got off the trail before completing your hike: Why did you get off?

wasn't fun anymore

rafe
06-24-2008, 08:22
Agree with LW. Actually, it was only a few weeks after meeting LW. ;)

fiddlehead
06-24-2008, 08:50
I believe that if you know you are going to finish (when you start) then you will finish.

If you are not sure, your chances are not so good.

modiyooch
06-24-2008, 08:58
I got off due to weather. It was 1980 and there wasn't much advice to be found while I was planning. I was 21 and definately waited too late in the year to get started. I'm still working on that trail, but I am enjoying each trip. I moved to NC in 1981 to be closer to the trail to accomplish my goal. I notice the thru hikers that concentrate on high mileage everyday, and it makes me think that their only goal is to reach the finish line. Are they enjoying their hike or are they just trying to get it over with? It seems to be another "rat race" but different venue. If you get to the point where you are just trying to get it over with, I would reevaluate why you are even out there. Then there is the thru hiker that has to quit. They beat themselves up over the fact that they have to quit, but don't realize that they have accomplished so very much to reach the point where they quit. What they have accomplished is admirable. It should be a trip of memories, not regrets because you didn't finish in one season. And I really can't relate to the ones that start completely over at Springer because they had to quit somewhere inbetween. Personally, I want to see the rest of the trail AND I WILL eventually get there. And when I do, I don't feel that I have achieved any less than the thru hiker because I had to do it in sections. Everyone's hike is unique. Enjoy it.

Lyle
06-24-2008, 09:36
I got off due to weather. It was 1980 and there wasn't much advice to be found while I was planning. I was 21 and definately waited too late in the year to get started. I'm still working on that trail, but I am enjoying each trip. I moved to NC in 1981 to be closer to the trail to accomplish my goal. I notice the thru hikers that concentrate on high mileage everyday, and it makes me think that their only goal is to reach the finish line. Are they enjoying their hike or are they just trying to get it over with? It seems to be another "rat race" but different venue. If you get to the point where you are just trying to get it over with, I would reevaluate why you are even out there. Then there is the thru hiker that has to quit. They beat themselves up over the fact that they have to quit, but don't realize that they have accomplished so very much to reach the point where they quit. What they have accomplished is admirable. It should be a trip of memories, not regrets because you didn't finish in one season. And I really can't relate to the ones that start completely over at Springer because they had to quit somewhere inbetween. Personally, I want to see the rest of the trail AND I WILL eventually get there. And when I do, I don't feel that I have achieved any less than the thru hiker because I had to do it in sections. Everyone's hike is unique. Enjoy it.

This is all true, I agree whole heartedly. I also agree with Lone Wolfs very succinct. "wasn't fun anymore". Two ways of saying the same thing.

Gee, not often I get to say I agree with Lone Wolf!! :D:D

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 09:43
The main reason people get off has nothing to do with boredom, loneliness, injury, lack of money.

Like Wolf said, people quit when they're no longer having a good time.

Or to put it a different way, people quit because the Trail fails to live up to their expectations, and this is often because people had unrealistic expectations from the outset. The Trail tends to be overly glamorized, and all these NOVA or National Geographic specials, or attractive articles in glossy outdoor magazines, well this only helps portray a not necessarily true picture of the realities of life on the Trail for six months.

I think the Trail proves a lot tougher than most people (both in terms of mental and physical challenges) are expecting. And when it gets too tough, people go home.

jersey joe
06-24-2008, 09:53
I agree with Jack, most people that drop off the trail do so because they had unrealistic expectations at the outset.

Also, it takes a decent amount of hard work to complete a thru hike, it isn't ALL fun. Many people can't handle the hard work involved, stop having fun and drop off.

ofthearth
06-24-2008, 10:03
deleted/double post

ofthearth
06-24-2008, 10:03
All of the above. I think if you read what the posts say, including Jacks, it comes down to not having fun. "boredom, loneliness, injury, lack of money" sounds like not having fun to me. If your feet are hurting you it's hard to "enjoy yourself". I think LW was in the Marines and I somehow think that would be a little more challenging, both mentally and physicllay, than the AT. It just takes a little more to say "This is no fun for me". If it is a goal that you set for yourself and you enjoy it then you will get it done. Enjoy your walk in the woods.

jersey joe
06-24-2008, 10:07
I think LW was in the Marines and I somehow think that would be a little more challenging, both mentally and physicllay, than the AT.
I disagree only for the mere fact that it is much easier to stop a thru hike then just up and quit the Marines. One of the biggest challenges is not quitting when it is so easy to do so.

ofthearth
06-24-2008, 10:28
Like the AT the toughest part of the USMC is the boredom. (and maybe the food).

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 10:29
i was never bored and the food was fine

rafe
06-24-2008, 10:47
Also, it takes a decent amount of hard work to complete a thru hike, it isn't ALL fun. Many people can't handle the hard work involved, stop having fun and drop off.

That's a good point. But not so much "can't handle" as "choose not to."

There's a natural urge to use our free time to be lazy and not work too hard. Nothing wrong with that. It's more than a bit weird to want to use your free time on something that's going to involve a lot of hard work and discomfort. At the start of a thru-hike, the freedom and sense of adventure are powerful, and doubts are easy to suppress.

Some folks, after a few days or weeks or months on the trail, re-evaluate the balance sheet and decide that whatever they're getting from the trail just isn't quite worth the work and discomfort.

taildragger
06-24-2008, 11:02
I got off due to lack of fun and funds.

I got sick and got off the trail to reevaluate my gear and go to yosemite to adjust to altitude, and take it easy till I got better. After a week of having to force myself to eat, drink, and not throw everything up, I just found myself not able to have near the fun that I had planned to.

That and figuring out how to get back to a trail that was on fire became a logistical nightmare with the information that I had available in Yosemite.

ofthearth
06-24-2008, 11:07

Then you didn't get sent to radio school, get assigned to amtracs and spend your time aboard ship. But then Naples was interesting

Blissful
06-24-2008, 11:52
There will be plenty of times the trail isn't fun. There will be tough stuff and fun stuff. Good days and bad days. But if it's something you really want to do...almost a passion of sorts, then you have good chance of getting through it to the end, even when it isn't fun on that particular day or days.

Having a good support system on the home front helps as well.

But it's true...the trail is really all mental.

Lyle
06-24-2008, 12:13
Never make the mistake of deciding to get off trail on a bad day. Wait until a good day, if you still feel like getting off, then that may be the thing to do. Take a few days or a couple of weeks to make your decision.

Newb
06-24-2008, 12:16
Backpacker magazine made it looks so easy...

Footslogger
06-24-2008, 12:21
Been said already but it can all be summed up in one word ...EXPECTATIONS.

I remember vividly hearing hikers commenting as early as Neels Gap that ..."this wasn't in the brochure".

Unless it's a repeat hike ...preconceived notions about what a thru is like are generally false.

You gotta stay really flexible !!

'Slogger

yappy
06-24-2008, 12:23
Funny, it broke my heart when the pct ended... I knew what the real world was all about and the woods seemed like an infinitly better place to be at the time. The At, first long hike, was a relief to finish mixed in with unease at going back to the " real world ". Now, with all the hikes since I LOVE being out and can't wait to go again. Ya gotta love it, embrace the challenge. Fun, is not the first word that comes to mind. rewarding might for me. Like someone said NEVER quit on a bad,rainy,painful,lonely UNFUN day. quit on a beauty of day..when ya think you could walk for miles,gobbling up the experience along that way. Then, maybe it jusy isn't for you... no regrets. It isn't the beat all end all of life, just a lovely way to see this country and maybe learn a thing or 2 along the way.

jersey joe
06-24-2008, 12:28
That's a good point. But not so much "can't handle" as "choose not to."

There's a natural urge to use our free time to be lazy and not work too hard. Nothing wrong with that.
I personally think that there is something wrong with choosing to fail to meet a goal that you set for yourself because you are lazy and don't want to work to hard.

yappy
06-24-2008, 12:34
I like that the fact that these trails force you to see your weaknesses and knock down barriers til another 1 comes along and then maybe you knock that one done too. walls and fears ya did'nt even know ya had. On the AT I did'nt want to go home knowing that i had'nt given everything i had. Those bad days always turned into a good day if I hung in there. Just like life. There isn't anything wrong with getting off but it was'nt for me at least not yet. I think the Cdt will be the one that you have to check everything at the door and start all over again.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 12:39
I personally think that there is something wrong with choosing to fail to meet a goal that you set for yourself because you are lazy and don't want to work to hard.

it's just hiking. katahdin is just a mountain

yappy
06-24-2008, 12:47
right on lone wolf. That is the simple truth. This is kinda a different subject but i have seen too many times when people are hiking with dogs or mates that 1 is dragging the other. it is just a freaking dirt path ! Just cuz you are having a great time does'nt naturally mean your partner is....dog or human.

jersey joe
06-24-2008, 12:59
it's just hiking. katahdin is just a mountain
You can pretty much say "it's just" about anything...not putting value in anything would make for a pretty miserable life. Thru hiking the AT is a pretty good accomplishment in my book.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:02
Thru hiking the AT is a pretty good accomplishment in my book.

it's ok. finishing a 50 mile trail ultra is a better accomplishment in my book

jersey joe
06-24-2008, 13:05
it's ok. finishing a 50 mile trail ultra is a better accomplishment in my book
Not sure about better, but that's a pretty good one too.

rafe
06-24-2008, 14:46

Not saying you're right or wrong -- just that it's not your call to decide what folks do with their time, or their lives. :cool:

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 15:51

No matter how hard you try to spin it, it's a 6 month vacation from the real world. Lots of leisure activities require dedication and hard work. The trail isn't unique in that regard. And plenty of people choose not to follow through on their leisure and recreation plans. If it's that important to you, and you prove something to yourself by doing it, fine, but for 99.9% of people hiking is something they do to have fun. For most who attempt a thru hike the thrill and novelty wears off within the first month or two. To continue on, miserable for 3 or 4 more months, while they are supposed to be enjoying themselves is pointless. People find thru-hiking interesting, and they'll congratulate you on your personal accomplishment but there ain't no tickertape parade or prize. It ain't worth being miserable over.

You can pretty much say "it's just" about anything...not putting value in anything would make for a pretty miserable life. Thru hiking the AT is a pretty good accomplishment in my book.

Compared to what? A shorter hike? Sure. To an education, a career, raising a family, serving one's country, contributing to one's community? Things that take an entire lifetime, not just 5 or 6 months? Hiking is a selfish pastime. Sorry, but it's way down my list of life accomplishments.

rafe
06-24-2008, 15:58
Well put, buzzard (Msg. 30). By the way, when Bearpaw made the point (a few months ago) about hiking being a "selfish pastime," there was widespread disagreement over that remark.

Time To Fly 97
06-24-2008, 16:11
4EB: But yet, a thru-hike is on your list of life accomplishments. By acknowledging this, you are agreeing with JJ that this is not a trivial undertaking. I have an education, have served my country, have a great family...and I love that I have thru-hiked. One because it was a blast for me, but two and more importantly, it changed me. I think I contribute more, am a better person, am kinder, look for the good, relish opportunities to help people, etc. I wasn't like this very much before I thru-hiked. I wonder if you will feel (after you thru-hike) that you have achieved a life changing accomplishment also.

Happy hiking!

TTF

cannonball
06-24-2008, 16:23
Not sure about better, but that's a pretty good one too.
Adopting and raising 2 children in addition to having your own special needs child is an accomplishment.Makes you feel like your life really counts for something. Don't see how hiking nearlly 2200 miles would compare but would like to try it.

Time To Fly 97
06-24-2008, 16:51
Nothing like having a child which has filled me with more love that I thought possible. A thru-hike is very different. An analogy that comes to my mind is a special school that teaches you about spirit, about identity, about sustained joy and about interacting with great people in a pure environment (no media, no stress, living in the present). When you are surrounded by beauty, challenges overcome, real conversations, no stress, saratonin/endorphin/adreneline/dopamine, for 6 months...there is no way not to be changed. It is hard to describe...but you get in tune with everything. You see the good in everyone, kharma in action, etc. I feel like I could stereotype every thru-hiker as being a truly good person because of this experience. If you think about how little time there is in life (with work, commuting, family, obligations, constant media and information barrage, IM, cell phones) it is no surprise that most people don't learn these things or at least to any great extent. How could you when your spiritual times come in quick blips in between all the other things you have to be concerned with. Thru-hiking is like walking with God - you are never same after you've been touched... and the longer you go on the hike, the more you learn.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Yahtzee
06-24-2008, 16:58
To answer your question, mine is exactly what LW said, it ceased being fun. I had thruhiked before and had many long hikes under my belt and I returned expecting more of the same. I just hit a long unlucky stretch of freaks, crime and crappiness in '03 and just north of Silver Hill Campsite in CT I turned to my hiking buddy and said "I'm done". There were certainly alternatives to stopping, like waiting for the back of the pack, generally my comfort zone, and pushing on. But after a series of insane occurences, general childishness on the part of other hikers and poor choices on my part, the better part of valor said to stop.

Of course, I wished I waited for the back of the pack to catch up, but C'est la vie.

Sly
06-24-2008, 17:12

If your only goal was to reach Katahdin maybe you're the one that failed. :rolleyes:

rafe
06-24-2008, 17:19
If your only goal was to reach Katahdin maybe you're the one that failed. :rolleyes:

Ouch. That's a bit harsh.

Sly
06-24-2008, 17:32

Yah think? :sun

Patchfoot
06-24-2008, 17:52
Echoing what some have said, I don't think there is anything bad in stopping a thru hike a few months in for whatever reason. It's not like you're gonna cure cancer once you reach Katahdin.

I think the best damn thing about doing a thru hike is the fact that it's a fairly independent trip and the only thing keeping you doing miles or on the trail is you. If you don't wanna be there you can leave. Considering our sedetary beige society anymore just wandering around in the woods for a few weeks or months is a pretty decent accomplishment anyway.

For me though, Injuries, injuries, injuries. If you are younger and still believe you are fairly indestructible months of hiking can really disabuse that notion. There are limits to grin and bear it when a torn up body is just gonna call it quits.

I can't wait till I have the time and money to hike again without being a hard headed idiot who doesn't listen to his body. I don't regret getting off the trail, but I do regret letting dumb ass crap in my life become so important in the years following it.

slow
06-24-2008, 18:23

So you gave up 5 times?

IF after 2 or 3 then 4 or 5....some never get it.

The reason for 1...well no fun ...but will try again.

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 18:23
LW has the answer for me!
I've done three 2,000+ mile canoe trips, a 1,000 mile canoe trip, several 300 to 500 mile canoe trips, thru hiked several small trails and thru hiked the AT twice all w/o quitting.
Last year in the middle of the Sierras, the MOST BEAUTIFUL mountain terrain that I've ever witnessed, the middle of my PCT thru, the middle of something that I've dreamed of for 40 years....I quit and went home! Sure I was low on money but it didn't matter...I would have quit anyway. IT WASN'T FUN ANYMORE!!!!!!
I'll go back and see Oregon and Washington but only the JMT in California. The rest of California just turned me off so bad that the Sierras couldn't save my hike.

I can't wait for my next AT thru!

geek

slow
06-24-2008, 18:41
lw Has The Answer For Me!
I've Done Three 2,000+ Mile Canoe Trips, A 1,000 Mile Canoe Trip, Several 300 To 500 Mile Canoe Trips, Thru Hiked Several Small Trails And Thru Hiked The At Twice All W/o Quitting.
Last Year In The Middle Of The Sierras, The Most Beautiful Mountain Terrain That I've Ever Witnessed, The Middle Of My Pct Thru, The Middle Of Something That I've Dreamed Of For 40 Years....i Quit And Went Home! Sure I Was Low On Money But It Didn't Matter...i Would Have Quit Anyway. It Wasn't Fun Anymore!!!!!!
I'll Go Back And See Oregon And Washington But Only The Jmt In California. The Rest Of California Just Turned Me Off So Bad That The Sierras Couldn't Save My Hike.

I Can't Wait For My Next At Thru!

Geek

L.w. Quit 5 Times...that's Your Answer.

rafe
06-24-2008, 18:47

The difference is that LW doesn't call himself a thru-hiker. In fact, in case you've missed it, he's often rather dismissive of those who do.

stranger
06-24-2008, 18:53
I attempted my second thru-hike this year and decided to leave the trail in Atkins, around mile 540. My first hike ended in Pearisburg, then I came back and hiked to Waynesboro, then got off there in 1995. I remember in 2001 hiking 500 miles through the mid-atlantic and having to leave the trail cause I was out of money...I also remember not being heartbroken about it either.

So for me atleast, there seems to be a personal threshold that sits around the 500 mile mark. I wouldn't say it's boredom, although I found it very hard to keep things interesting, and it certainly wasn't because it was too hard physically, I was doing 18's through Georgia, etc...Was it mentally tough? Not really as I find long distance hiking very easy mentally, there is very little you need to think about, the path is clear, marked, miles come relatively easy, it rains, you get wet, you cook, hang your food, you sleep, you do it again tomorrow...that's an easy life.

So I guess it comes down to desire...which I didn't really have after about Erwin. I kept hiking, I enjoyed my time, I wasn't depressed or down, I wasn't complaining, but there was also no fire, no strong desire to "make it". So I decided to do something else.

I still plan on doing some more miles this summer, perhaps the Long Trail again or maybe do a few hundred more miles on the AT. I can hack it, I can do the miles, I can deal with the rain, blisters, knee pain, sore muscles, etc...I just find that after about 6-7 weeks I start to lose interest.

That's me.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 18:57

i quit more than 5 times you peckerhead :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-24-2008, 18:58
i quit more than 5 times you peckerhead :rolleyes:

Classic Lone Wolf. :D Made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 19:03

YEP!!! ask anyone who knows me...I have said it for years....if it ain't fun why do it?
Quitting isn't a sign of failure as much as a change of interest.:-?

geek

rafe
06-24-2008, 19:07
I just find that after about 6-7 weeks I start to lose interest.

That's me.

You're not alone. ;) 650 miles in 1990, about 600 in 2007, many small sections in between. Quitting always gnawed at me. Tried to rationalize it, but the itch always came back. Last year I managed to meter out my patience perfectly. I could feel it running out in the last couple of weeks, and especially the last few days. By contrast, the first few weeks (in both cases) were mindless bliss.

slow
06-24-2008, 19:27
The difference is that LW doesn't call himself a thru-hiker. In fact, in case you've missed it, he's often rather dismissive of those who do.

In case you dont know...tell me 1 person then L.W. with more ml in the history of the A.T. THAT NEVER FINISHED...NONE.HE QUIT.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 19:33
tell me 1 person then L.W. with more ml in the history of the A.T. THAT NEVER FINISHED...NONE.HE QUIT.

W T F? :D does that mean

Lyle
06-24-2008, 19:39
In case you dont know...tell me 1 person then L.W. with more ml in the history of the A.T. THAT NEVER FINISHED...NONE.HE QUIT.

Who cares, he still gets up and goes out again. He's probably seen all the trail he wants to, some of it many times. Not everyone looks at hiking as a competition, public OR personal. It's called HYOH.

Jason of the Woods
06-24-2008, 19:39
Of course even if I were going all the way this year I still probably wouldn't call myself a thru-hiker due to fear of Jack and his posse having a fit. In any light I'll bag a few more miles before the calendar flips.....

musicwoman
06-24-2008, 21:11
I guess whenever the trail gets boring for me, I will hang it up. I have no need nor desire to say I thru-hiked. I take much more pride in raising my kids than in completing any footpath.

It's all a matter of what's important to you.

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 21:14
Jason, you just don't quit......

Hey, howz about a little advice: Get the chip off your shoulder and the stick out of your ass and your chances of finishing might improve. :rolleyes:

musicwoman
06-24-2008, 21:19

Hey, howz about a little advice: Get the chip off your shoulder and the stick out of your ass and your chances of finishing might improve. :rolleyes:

My Lord, do you ever quit trying to stir things up??

musicwoman
06-24-2008, 21:19
Of course even if I were going all the way this year I still probably wouldn't call myself a thru-hiker due to fear of Jack and his posse having a fit. In any light I'll bag a few more miles before the calendar flips.....

Don't you know when to leave well enough alone?

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 21:21
My Lord, go read post#52.

Who's doing the stirring, eh?

If the guys feels the need to cheap shot me every time he posts, he's gonna get a reply.

musicwoman
06-24-2008, 21:23
My Lord, go read post#52.

Who's doing the stirring, eh?

If the guys feels the need to cheap shot me every time he posts, he's gonna get a reply.

I addressed him as well.

It's a shame. If anyone came onto this site to find a sense of community within the legion of AT hikers here, they would be sorely disappointed in many of these posts.

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 21:26
Every community has a few jerks, MW. I wasn't even ON this thread, wasn't even taking part in the discussion, and he has to cheap shot me.

So lighten up, I wasn't stirring up anything; I was merely replying to a nitwit.

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Bearpaw88
06-24-2008, 21:27
I addressed him as well.

It's a shame. If anyone came onto this site to find a sense of community within the legion of AT hikers here, they would be sorely disappointed in many of these posts.

Getting off?

I thought this thread was about something else entirely.

While I am hear it sounds like the guy did have a stick up his ass, and any decent community would have the courtesy to remind him to pull it out. Whats the problem?

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 21:30

Perhaps the wording is harsh, but the sentiment rings true to me. Listening to those who have completed the AT in one season, the common theme appears to be that they went not only for the journey, but to learn more about themselves and/or resolve some internal conflict. Those that are only looking to get to the end or to add an AT thru-hike "notch" to their pack belt appear to be less likely to succeed. At least that is my observation, your experience may differ.

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 21:31
4EB: But yet, a thru-hike is on your list of life accomplishments. By acknowledging this, you are agreeing with JJ that this is not a trivial undertaking. I have an education, have served my country, have a great family...and I love that I have thru-hiked. One because it was a blast for me, but two and more importantly, it changed me. I think I contribute more, am a better person, am kinder, look for the good, relish opportunities to help people, etc. I wasn't like this very much before I thru-hiked. I wonder if you will feel (after you thru-hike) that you have achieved a life changing accomplishment also.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I don't think a thru-hike is trivial - it's a major undertaking. But at least to me, it doesn't define a person the way other accomplishments do. It's a selfish pleasure. A personal accomplishment. It's something I'd like to do, something I desire, but not something I need. I quit a thru back in '76 after about 450 miles. And yes, there is still a desire, and my eldest daughter would also like to thru-hike, so we are trying to get it together for 2010, health and schedules willing. But completing a thru won't change who I am. I know that for some others it is a life changing accomplishment. But for me I don't honestly think it would be. Perhaps that's why the journey itself must be fun for me. I'm not seeking to escape from this world, or conquer any demons, I'm not in a major life transition, etc. I'm not really seeking anything more than just enjoyment out of it.

The worst that can happen is we stop enjoying it and have a nice long section hike!

musicwoman
06-24-2008, 21:32
Getting off?

While I am hear it sounds like the guy did have a stick up his ass, and any decent community would have the courtesy to remind him to pull it out. Whats the problem?

Just trying to keep the peace here. We've got one individual who likes to stoke the fire, and another who doesn't mind burning at high temp:-?.

I was attempting to throw alittle cold water on things is all;).

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 21:34
Getting off?

While I am hear it sounds like the guy did have a stick up his ass?

Hey, whatever people get off on is okay in the privacy of their own home.:D

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 21:36
Just trying to keep the peace here. We've got one individual who likes to stoke the fire, and another who doesn't mind burning at high temp:-?.

I was attempting to throw alittle cold water on things is all;).

LOL. Sounds like something I used to try to do on occasion. Any attempts to throw cold water here is like throwing cold water on a grease fire, you end up with more fires, not less. :D

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 21:40
I don't think that the accomplishment of a thru hike changes you but 5-6 months solid of being out there does change you. It makes you so much more atune to what you actually need or want to be happy everyday. If you walk from Georgia to Maine and live on the trail for 6 months and it DOESN'T change you, then I don't think that you got anything out of the hike.

geek

musicwoman
06-24-2008, 21:43
Well, I am doing what's important to me now. Which means I am signing off to watch "The Sound of Music" with my 10 year old.

Night all:)

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 22:01
I don't think that the accomplishment of a thru hike changes you but 5-6 months solid of being out there does change you. It makes you so much more atune to what you actually need or want to be happy everyday. If you walk from Georgia to Maine and live on the trail for 6 months and it DOESN'T change you, then I don't think that you got anything out of the hike.

geek

Interesting discussion.

Perhaps the experience changes you only if you go out there seeking change?

Perhaps for those not seeking change, they come back changed, even though that was not the original goal?

Perhaps some have changed, but it was so gradual that they didn't know they changed until they arrived home and their loved ones say, "who are you?" :)

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 22:03
Well, I am doing what's important to me now. Which means I am signing off to watch "The Sound of Music" with my 10 year old.

Enjoy! The teenage years, coming to a show near you sooner than you think, will bring you different joys. ;)

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 22:14
Interesting discussion.

Perhaps for those not seeking change, they come back changed, even though that was not the original goal?

Perhaps some have changed, but it was so gradual that they didn't know they changed until they arrived home and their loved ones say, "who are you?" :)

So true!:cool:

geek

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 22:17
Interesting discussion.

Most people hopefully grow from their life experiences. And these do change or hopefully add to who we are. Some consider leaving the trail a failure, others consider hiking for a long as you can a success. Just being out there adds something to who you are already. I think most people come away with a sense of rejecting a lot of the conspicious consumerism in society - the notion that things are necessary for happiness. It would be tough not to come to this conclusion, when you know in your heart that some of your happiest moments come sitting by a warm fire gazing at the stars - with no more than what you can carry on your back.

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 22:24
The most important thing that I learned from my hikes is that I love electricity...but I don't need it.

geek

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 22:26
Most people hopefully grow from their life experiences. And these do change or hopefully add to who we are. Some consider leaving the trail a failure, others consider hiking for a long as you can a success. Just being out there adds something to who you are already. I think most people come away with a sense of rejecting a lot of the conspicious consumerism in society - the notion that things are necessary for happiness. It would be tough not to come to this conclusion, when you know in your heart that some of your happiest moments come sitting by a warm fire gazing at the stars - with no more than what you can carry on your back.

Well said.

Failure to try new things is much worse than trying and failing. The latter should be always be viewed as a successful learning experience.

rafe
06-24-2008, 22:33
The most important thing that I learned from my hikes is that I love electricity...but I don't need it.

geek

Try posting to Whiteblaze without it. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 22:34

geek

Me too - I was an electrician for 30 years. Other peoples love of electricity paid for a lot of the things I don't need. :D

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 22:37
I talk on white blaze when I have down time at work...takes my mind off of the stress. I don't have internet at home. When I want to really talk to other hikers...I go hike!:cool:

geek

Wise Old Owl
06-24-2008, 22:41
wasn't fun anymore

Agree with LW. Actually, it was only a few weeks after meeting LW. ;)

Hmmm something going on here...

Sleepy the Arab
06-24-2008, 22:54
I know the odds are against completing a thru and I am just trying to do what I can to improve my odds.

I'll address this.

I figured the completion rate of thru-hikers at 20%. It was then a simple matter of causing four others to quit. Bingo - instant 100% odds!

stranger
06-24-2008, 23:13
Everyone needs to calm the fu#k down here, this was a thread asking why those who decided to leave the trail did in fact do so. This wasn't a thread about what it takes to thru-hike or how manly your are. Get a grip people, this ain't some fu#king question about your trail mentality, but a question to why some people decide the AT isn't for them after some time.

Such pathetic children on here, it makes me sick.

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 23:21
Everyone needs to calm the fu#k down here, this was a thread asking why those who decided to leave the trail did in fact do so. This wasn't a thread about what it takes to thru-hike or how manly your are. Get a grip people, this ain't some fu#king question about your trail mentality, but a question to why some people decide the AT isn't for them after some time.

Easy there big fella. You want a clean thread? Next time post in the straight-forward area. Regular forums expand on different points and go in different directions. Just so ya know for next time. :)

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 23:25
Easy there big fella. You want a clean thread? Next time post in the straight-forward area. Regular forums expand on different points and go in different directions. Just so ya know for next time. :)

It's his first, edit: sorry, second post in this thread. He ain't the OP. Somehow he appointed himself Moderator Emeritus.

FWIW, this thread wandered a bit, but less than most, and a lot of different and good viewpoints came out.

rafe
06-24-2008, 23:31
It's his first post in this thread.

Actually, it's not. (See Msg. #44.)

FWIW, this thread wandered a bit, but less than most, and a lot of different and good viewpoints came out.On that point I agree. A couple of minor brawls but pretty low-key by WB standards.

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 23:33
It's his first, edit: sorry, second post in this thread. He ain't the OP. Somehow he appointed himself Moderator Emeritus.

FWIW, this thread wandered a bit, but less than most, and a lot of different and good viewpoints came out.

Thanks. Too much time on WB turns one a bit blind to the more outrageous posts and posters (or posers), although they can produce some of the biggest rolling-eye laughs at the same time. :rolleyes::D:)

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 03:43

a 10 year old should be in bed at 10 at nite

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 04:53

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 04:56
a 10 year old should be in bed at 10 at nite

How long do you think a 10 year old will stay awake watching The Sound of Music? :p

camojack
06-25-2008, 05:02
How long do you think a 10 year old will stay awake watching The Sound of Music? :p
♪ So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye... ♪ :D

Jason of the Woods
06-25-2008, 07:48

No chip here. I am just speaking from my recent run-in with you and I didn't even call you a nitwit. You obviously feel the need to be "Cool". Good luck with that.:D

NICKTHEGREEK
06-25-2008, 08:01
Backpacker magazine made it looks so easy...
It is easy. So is butchering chickens. Can you imagine cutting chicken parts 8 hrs a day for the next 6 months? Like the man says, it ain't fun anymore.
My personal threshold of pain is a week to 10 days depending on how many distractions there are. After that it's time for a change.

jersey joe
06-25-2008, 08:01
Not saying you're right or wrong -- just that it's not your call to decide what folks do with their time, or their lives. :cool:
I don't want to tell folks what to do with their time or lives. But I can have an opinion about it. Someone who really wanted to hike a thru hike and dropped off because they were lazy and dropping off was just easier might look back on the experience and wish they hadn't dropped off the trail and stuck with it.

Compared to what? A shorter hike? Sure. To an education, a career, raising a family, serving one's country, contributing to one's community? Things that take an entire lifetime, not just 5 or 6 months? Hiking is a selfish pastime. Sorry, but it's way down my list of life accomplishments.
I wasn't comparing a thru hike to any other accomplishment.

Adopting and raising 2 children in addition to having your own special needs child is an accomplishment.Makes you feel like your life really counts for something. Don't see how hiking nearlly 2200 miles would compare but would like to try it.
Of course some will have other bigger accomplishments in their lives...

Not my only goal, but it was a goal.

musicwoman
06-25-2008, 09:49

7 minutes:)

MOWGLI
06-25-2008, 09:50
7 minutes:)

School out this week in New York? Down here, it lets out before Memorial Day, but starts up in early August. Go figure.

musicwoman
06-25-2008, 10:09
School out this week in New York? Down here, it lets out before Memorial Day, but starts up in early August. Go figure.

1/2 days this week in my district, then they're out for the summer.

Time To Fly 97
06-25-2008, 10:46
I don't think a thru-hike is trivial - it's a major undertaking. But at least to me, it doesn't define a person the way other accomplishments do. It's a selfish pleasure. A personal accomplishment. It's something I'd like to do, something I desire, but not something I need. I quit a thru back in '76 after about 450 miles. And yes, there is still a desire, and my eldest daughter would also like to thru-hike, so we are trying to get it together for 2010, health and schedules willing. But completing a thru won't change who I am. I know that for some others it is a life changing accomplishment. But for me I don't honestly think it would be. Perhaps that's why the journey itself must be fun for me. I'm not seeking to escape from this world, or conquer any demons, I'm not in a major life transition, etc. I'm not really seeking anything more than just enjoyment out of it.

The worst that can happen is we stop enjoying it and have a nice long section hike!

Right on and I do agree that the journey is what it is all about. I would say that a thru-hike does change you like school would, or basic training would. You never forget that. The title "thru-hiker" is just for me (agreed) and I like that.

Most importantly, I hope you end up hiking with your daughter. Mine is 2 and it would be one of the greatest things I could imagine to share that time with her when she is old enough .

Happy hiking!

TTF

OutdoorsMan
06-25-2008, 12:56
Like the AT the toughest part of the USMC is the boredom. (and maybe the food).

What's wrong with Marine Corps chow? I always had enough and loved it. I was seldom bored in the USMC either except for inspections, parades, dog and pony shows, putting twelve series of recruits through PI, being aboard ship well.....I guess that there IS a certain amount of boredom in the Corps.

slow
06-26-2008, 20:42
Who cares, he still gets up and goes out again. He's probably seen all the trail he wants to, some of it many times. Not everyone looks at hiking as a competition, public OR personal. It's called HYOH.

5 time 3/4 is not a hyoh...YOU QUIT.

slow
06-26-2008, 20:56
YEP!!! ask anyone who knows me...I have said it for years....if it ain't fun why do it?
Quitting isn't a sign of failure as much as a change of interest.:-?

geek

Have you done 3/4 5 times OR MORE..?IF so tell me why ...AS L.W.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:00
5 time 3/4 is not a hyoh...YOU QUIT.

hey kid! just up from your nap?

slow
06-26-2008, 21:30

Never a real ?FROM YOU.

BTW i still have a free trip for you.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:31
BTW i still have a free trip for you.

tell me

slow
06-26-2008, 21:57
tell Me

You Know ...and No 3/4 Or Your On Your Own ...and Good Luck.

slow
06-26-2008, 22:29

ALSO would love to see the first time 3/4 is stuck in muck waist deep with no help,90% you will die.BTW NOT FOR YOU OR ANYONE.
Not talking hills but down here can be hard.

jessicacomp
06-27-2008, 12:54
I got off the trail this year because of a hurt knee. I really did not want to get off and limped many miles before I decided I was being irresponsible.
I went up to Front Royal, doing work for stay at the outfitters with hopes that in only a few weeks, I'd just get back on the trail from there. I saw a few people quit the trail around there due "not having fun." I ended up not getting back on the trail because my knee still throbs a fair amount ,and I think I need to get it looked at by a sport's doctor.
So anyway, for now I've joined the world of section hiking, which I am still a little bummed about. But I've loved doing trail magic, and any thru hikers this year can expect to see me in new england with, what I'd like to think of as, pretty good trail magic.

rafe
06-27-2008, 13:08
Jessica... section hiking ain't so bad. You can schedule your hikes to be with the thrus... or to avoid 'em. Cool thing is, it's your choice.

Footslogger
06-27-2008, 13:12
From personal experience I think it's a lot harder to section hike than to do a thru. For 3 years my wife and I went back to fill in sections (in Maine) that she missed in 2001. There's the mental, physical and logististics to deal with.

Not saying my thru was terribly easy by any stretch ...but going back to Maine 3 years in a row to knock out 120 mile sections was a lot harder than hiking Maine during my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

rafe
06-27-2008, 13:21
From personal experience I think it's a lot harder to section hike than to do a thru. For 3 years my wife and I went back to fill in sections (in Maine) that she missed in 2001. There's the mental, physical and logististics to deal with.

Not saying my thru was terribly easy by any stretch ...but going back to Maine 3 years in a row to knock out 120 mile sections was a lot harder than hiking Maine during my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

From Wyoming -- for sure, a section hike of the AT is going to be a logistical nightmare. As an east-coaster with my sights on the PCT, it's clear that I'm never going to finish it that way. Excluding the Whites, my completion of the AT required 19 sections, at best count. But the "logistics" were part of the fun. A lot of driving (not much fun) but a number of nice bike rides through New England countryside, logging roads, etc. Not surprisingly: sections close to home were short. As the sections ranged farther from home they got longer.

gravityman
06-27-2008, 15:46
Getting back to the OP's question -

We got off the trail in 2001 because my wife's feet (Neuromas) and her intestinal distress (5-10 times a day, mucus, extreme weight loss). 3 months, 1000 miles in to the hike.

In 2005 we went back, started in GA and finished the entire trail without any thoughts of getting off (but plenty of days where we wished we were doing anything but hiking).

What went wrong in 2001? Could be have stopped it? I'm not sure, but we might have been able to. Here's what lead us to realize we needed to leave:

The Cause of the foot problem - My wife didn't know how shoes should fit. Neither did I. Snug around the forefoot seemed fine to her, as long as she wasn't getting blisters. She also started with some serious full leather boots. In the end, the constant squeezing of her forefoot with each step caused the nerve than runs between the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal to inflame and become exceptionally painful with each step. After about 1.5 months by the end of the day she would be crying or close to it. Hurt like hell, and she's a tough one, so I know it was bad. This is a somewhat common problem, and any easy fix. But we were really on a budget, and didn't want to have to drop $100 on new shoes again, since she just bought new boots for the hike. She had some low cut shoes mailed to her in Damascus, but they were too tight too.

The solution to the foot problem - Her feet bothered her for about 1 year before it cleared mostly up. She knew how shoes should fit her, and she went to a sports medicine clinic to get orthotics that put a metatarsal pad under her foot too keep those bones from collapsing. We trained for and ran a marathon in 2004. This gave us the confidence that we could hike the entire trail, as it's about 500 miles of running in 4 months, the most miles we could get in while working. Running is A LOT harder on the body than hiking, and it exposed a lot of issues physically for both of us, but none of those showed up hiking (bursitis in the hip, ITBS). Interestingly enough, her feet did start to bother her at about the GA-NC line but we knew how to handle it from the research. I built up the pad to support the metatarsals a bit, and that solved the issue. PHEW!

The cause of the stomach problem - No idea! We didn't treat much water. But she was also tested for giardia, but it was never found. This plagued her for 3 years after we got off the trail. Was giving Flagyl, but it didn't solve it.

The Solution for the stomach problem - She was diagnosed with IBS. That didn't make it go away, just gave her some pills to take that didn't really help. Then she got a kidney infection in 2004, and was loaded up with Cipro to kill it real fast, since it is such a serious thing if it gets in your blood. Guess what? After the kidney thing went away, so did the IBS! We can only guess she picked up C-diff (a bacteria in the intestines that is very hard to kill and causes all kinds of intestinal issues) somewhere along the trail (NO IDEA!) and the Cipro killed it. But in 2005 we were MUCH more careful about water, and treated with MIOX which also kills crypto. No stomach issues beyond the normal ones.

So, my suggestions for anyone that tells us they are through hiking, besides the normal 'start light' blah blah blah -

Try to run a marathon. The training and miles are very similar in a mini-way. It will work out a lot of physical issues. The mental challenge of running 4-6 days a week is very similar.

Treat your water - Trying to get a through hike together HARD. Getting the cash, time, and period of your life to align isn't going to be easy. It's silly to take this risk.

Another issue that we worried about - Lymes! We knew this would be a hike ender. So we educated ourselves on this. Use Permithrin on your clothes starting as soon as the weather turns somewhat warm and the leaves come out. Reapply from bounce box once a month. We were around hikers that were pulling off several ticks a day or more. We had 1 on my wife the entire trip! The tiny ticks that give you lymes are HARD to see. Also, lymes isn't the only thing that gives you problems. Method Man 2005 got off from some other illness due to ticks. So it's worth every bit of protection you can get.

Also, more generally - Seriously - DON"T LISTEN TO THE FOLKS ON INTERNET FORUMS! They will give you all kinds of advice that sounds reasonable from the armchair. It's amazing how much of that doesn't apply to your hike. I was really paying attention to AT-L thinking - "WOW these are people that have DONE it! I gotta take their advice." Well, actually, it put me in a mindset that set us up for failure. All the talk about - don't stay in town too long, you'll never want to leave made me push ourselves out of town too soon, too fast. We didn't get a chance to diagnose our problems or recover physically. The in-and-out of town in one day as much as possible sounds great, but really, only do it if you WANT to. You don't HAVE to. At the time, it was preached as something that MUST be done.
Don't treat water - bad advice!
Use bleach - almost as bad.
Do big miles in the rain - What a load. If we hiked big miles in the rain, it was because it worked out, not because it was the best time to do it. Do the miles when you want to do them.
Average 15 miles per day - Average whatever you feel like. We averaged close to 12. It was much better that way.
Don't take too many zeros - Take as many as you want
Take as many zeros as you can - Don't take too many zeros :)

There's a ton of suggestions out there, and on these pages. Think about them, but make sure you realize it's not THE way to hike. There are plenty of ways to make it from GA to ME. Go the way YOU want to, and what works for YOU.

I'm sure I have more to say about this, but that's enough, since you shouldn't be taking advice from the internet ANYWAY! Even in person, a past through hiker will give advice that they didn't necessary follow. I don't know why, but I've seen it. We've heard plenty of past through hikers that we've hiked with say things about how to hike we KNOW that they did the opposite of!

Gravity (and Danger) GAME 2005, GAWV 2001, LT 2004-2005

rafe
06-27-2008, 16:13
Interesting post, GravityMan. Now, about the zeros... and noting that I am not now, nor ever have been a thru-hiker... I still think a "nearo" is smarter than a "zero." But I hasten to add -- that's from the POV of a section hiker with X miles to do and Y days to do it in. Or maybe it's from the POV of a middle-age fat guy who's learned that consistency is more important than bursts of speed. Maybe it's different for the youngsters, I dunno. I was 36 on my first long-distance hiking attempt.

gravityman
06-27-2008, 16:51
Interesting post, GravityMan. Now, about the zeros... and noting that I am not now, nor ever have been a thru-hiker... I still think a "nearo" is smarter than a "zero." But I hasten to add -- that's from the POV of a section hiker with X miles to do and Y days to do it in. Or maybe it's from the POV of a middle-age fat guy who's learned that consistency is more important than bursts of speed. Maybe it's different for the youngsters, I dunno. I was 36 on my first long-distance hiking attempt.

I don't think a Nero is smarter than a zero, unless it's smarter for you at that time. The danger is thinking "Neros are smarter than zeros." When it's raining the next day, and you have it in your mind that you HAVE to do a few miles out because "Neros are smarter than zeros," that is was adds up on your Psyche and can really wear you down.

Do what works for you that day. The neros we did do, we did because we wanted to. Almost all of them were actually done going in to town where we zeroed the next day. Mainly because we didn't want to do a big day. But if neros are what you want to do because you don't like spending money in town, or because you want more time in the woods, that's great! Just don't get caught thinking that it's what you SHOULD be doing...

At least that's what we learned in 2001 about getting mentally fatigued, and we tried hard not to do that to ourselves in 2005 with a reasonably amount of success (as measured by the fact that we never discussed leaving the trail. Taking zeros, yes, but never leaving).

Gravity

Sly
06-27-2008, 17:35
This year, on the PCT, I've been King of the Nero and Zero! Add some Blue and Yellow.

Besides hiking sections of PCT, I had plans on doing the Tahoe Rim Trail while visiting a friend in Lake Tahoe but can hardly see the mountains because of the smoke from the wildfires in NoCA. Instead, I found a little work painting. Tonight I get to double my money playing Blackjack!

Gravityman good info on the neuromas, of which I was suffering.

rafe
06-27-2008, 18:06
I'd be interested in other folks' opinions on zeros. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

The Old Fhart
06-27-2008, 18:31
I found that I'd go stir crazy taking a zero. What seemed to work better was to get to town in the afternoon, get a spot in a hostel, do laundry, get mail and whatever, then pack and leave mid-morning the next day.

It appeared that many other hikers have their metabolism cranked up to high that even on a zero day in town, they can't sit still and would walk around town most of the day just to burn off all that energy. I found my time was better spent making forward progress on the trail.:sun

max patch
06-27-2008, 18:38
Whenever possible -- it depends on where the towns are -- I preferred to hike 6 days and take a zero on the 7th. I believe that a full day of rest is beneficial in allowing the body to recover. Of course, nearos can be beneficial to your wallet.

Footslogger
06-27-2008, 18:48
I'd be interested in other folks' opinions on zeros. Good? Bad? Indifferent?
===========================

I don't remember really "planning" on them. They just happened. Sometimes I felt like I just needed a day without a pack on my back. Sometimes I got into town too late in the day for re-supply and decided to grab a good meal, shower and a night's sleep in the bed - - and then used the next day (or most of it) to re-supply and get ready to head out.

I never kept track of my zeros but all in all about the only ones I probably could have done witout were the 3rd and 4th days in Damascus. The rest of them were welcome respits.

If/when I hike the trail again I would approach it the same way. If I felt like I needed one I would take one. Both the body and mind need a break now and then from the pounding.

'Slogger

Mrs Baggins
06-27-2008, 19:21
For me, it was foot and ankle pain so bad I couldn't stop sobbing. For my husband, he would agree with LW - he just wasn't having fun anymore. And he was tired of listening to me sob. We were convinced that we were prepared but we realized that, even though we had all the right gear and believed we were physically prepared, and we DID believe we'd make it, there is a mental preparation that we did not have. Now we know.

Blissful
06-27-2008, 19:36
Enjoyed my zeros when we took them - lounged around and ate a lot. For some reason, whenever it was time to get back on the trail after a town stop, I'd get a bout of nerves, wondering what the next section would entail, what would happen, etc.

Cannibal
06-27-2008, 19:41
The folks that I know that have dropped-off this year have mostly given the cause as "not fun anymore"; I can understand that. Not every single day is fun, but it reminds me of golf when you get that one really good shot and it makes you come back again.

When it sucks I walk until it doesn't or a take a zero. A night at Elmer's kept me going at Hot Springs (the deep tissue massage at the resort didn't hurt either :D). All things considered I'm having the best time of my life, I just have to remember it on the bad days.

Certainly not for everyone.

Slo-go'en
06-27-2008, 19:45
For the last 4 years, I've been doing long ass section hikes, typically 300 to 500 miles at a time. I try to take a full zero after the first 7-10 days out. After that it depends. Down south where there are frequent low cost hostels, the temptation to take an extra day off is great, especially if its raining when you get up. Farther north where overnight stays get much more expensive, one night is it no mater what unless there is a compelling need for that second day. More often its get into town and back out as quick as possible, then take a zero at a nice shelter if I need a rest.

The real king of zero's is a guy who calls himself Zero. Check out his trialjournals for last year. He started in late January and finished in late November. At least half of that time was taking zeros.

rafe
06-27-2008, 20:28
I found that I'd go stir crazy taking a zero. What seemed to work better was to get to town in the afternoon, get a spot in a hostel, do laundry, get mail and whatever, then pack and leave mid-morning the next day.

It appeared that many other hikers have their metabolism cranked up to high that even on a zero day in town, they can't sit still and would walk around town most of the day just to burn off all that energy. I found my time was better spent making forward progress on the trail.:sun

This is kind of where I was at last summer. Every fourth or fifth day was an "easy" day -- about half the usual mileage, with a town or hostel stop. It seemed to work well. Kept the momentum going, and used the time efficiently.

ZEKE #2
06-29-2008, 20:07
What a wonderful thread! I just got off the trail due to severe shin splints in my right leg. I wish that I would have recognized exactly what the pain was, and how to treat it early. I took a week off in Pearisburg, VA. I listened to folks that said that all I needed to heal was a week. When I got back on the trail I reinjured the shins, but to a greater degree, causing pain greater than I could stand. I realized that the recovery period was going to be long and that the trail would be there waiting for me.

That's the brain talking. When it comes to my heart, I have to keep telling myself that a thru-hike does not define me, 700 miles was a great accomplishment, and it will be even better when I start off where I got off or attempt another thru. I hope that I can be at peace with this soon.

But for now, thanks for the banter, at least I'm smiling!

Lone Wolf
06-29-2008, 20:12
When it comes to my heart, I have to keep telling myself that a thru-hike does not define me, 700 miles was a great accomplishment, and it will be even better when I start off where I got off or attempt another thru. I hope that I can be at peace with this soon.

you get it. see ya on the trail :)

Pony
07-10-2008, 19:08
By the time I got to Kincora hostel I had been having thoughts about leaving the trail for about a week prior. I took a zero at Kincora to try and sort these feelings out. By the time I got to Damascus my attitude sucked even worse so I took another zero. The next night I was sitting in the woods by myself, completely miserable. Everything I owned was filthy, I was constantly hungry, and really starting to hate trail food, and I had lost at least 15 pounds. I missed everything about home, girlfriend, family, friends, dog and cat. I missed having a cold beer in my backyard, and watching my garden grow. The next morning I hiked back to Damascus and got a bus ticket home. At first I beat myself up about the decision, but after I thought about it, I made the right choice. I don't look at it like I quit, rather than started a hobby. Now I get to look forward to hiking Wayensboro to Harper's Ferry this fall, and if I get the time next spring I'm going to Trail Days and then start walking north until I either reach Waynesboro or feel like going home. I just couldn't see the point in hiking through some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and be in such a crappy mood that I didn't enjoy it. The only time I really regret my decision is when I'm at work, but then I remind myself that I made that choice. Now that I have set a time when I will be going back to the trail I am once again excited about the AT. I feel much better about the trail now that I realize I don't have to do it all at once. The most regretable decision I can think of would have been to not start the trail at all.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2008, 20:15
By the time I got to Kincora hostel I had been having thoughts about leaving the trail for about a week prior. I took a zero at Kincora to try and sort these feelings out. By the time I got to Damascus my attitude sucked even worse so I took another zero. The next night I was sitting in the woods by myself, completely miserable. Everything I owned was filthy, I was constantly hungry, and really starting to hate trail food, and I had lost at least 15 pounds. I missed everything about home, girlfriend, family, friends, dog and cat. I missed having a cold beer in my backyard, and watching my garden grow. The next morning I hiked back to Damascus and got a bus ticket home. At first I beat myself up about the decision, but after I thought about it, I made the right choice. I don't look at it like I quit, rather than started a hobby. Now I get to look forward to hiking Wayensboro to Harper's Ferry this fall, and if I get the time next spring I'm going to Trail Days and then start walking north until I either reach Waynesboro or feel like going home. I just couldn't see the point in hiking through some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and be in such a crappy mood that I didn't enjoy it. The only time I really regret my decision is when I'm at work, but then I remind myself that I made that choice. Now that I have set a time when I will be going back to the trail I am once again excited about the AT. I feel much better about the trail now that I realize I don't have to do it all at once. The most regretable decision I can think of would have been to not start the trail at all.
you "get" it :)

ed bell
07-10-2008, 20:43
<snip> I don't look at it like I quit, rather than started a hobby. Now I get to look forward to hiking Wayensboro to Harper's Ferry this fall, and if I get the time next spring I'm going to Trail Days and then start walking north until I either reach Waynesboro or feel like going home. I just couldn't see the point in hiking through some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and be in such a crappy mood that I didn't enjoy it. The only time I really regret my decision is when I'm at work, but then I remind myself that I made that choice. Now that I have set a time when I will be going back to the trail I am once again excited about the AT. I feel much better about the trail now that I realize I don't have to do it all at once. The most regretable decision I can think of would have been to not start the trail at all.I gotta say that I admire your guts and thoughtful post about this. One thing about the concept of a thru hike that has always bothered me is the possibility that the attempt and or unsuccessful completion could actually have a negative impact on the activity itself. In other words, one could suck the joy out of backpacking for good by pushing oneself beyond the point of enjoyment. I enjoy the pursuit of backpacking far to much to ruin it for the rest of my life. Good for you, OSUBCS#1. As LW said, you "get it". The AT ain't going nowhere.

rafe
07-10-2008, 21:46
I gotta say that I admire your guts and thoughtful post about this. One thing about the concept of a thru hike that has always bothered me is the possibility that the attempt and or unsuccessful completion could actually have a negative impact on the activity itself. In other words, one could suck the joy out of backpacking for good by pushing oneself beyond the point of enjoyment. I enjoy the pursuit of backpacking far to much to ruin it for the rest of my life. Good for you, OSUBCS#1. As LW said, you "get it". The AT ain't going nowhere.

I quit because some of the craziness of thru-hiking was dragging me down. I was pretty sure I'd keep on backpacking as long as health and circumstances allowed. Just not necessarily five months at a time. ;)

ed bell
07-11-2008, 01:13
I quit because some of the craziness of thru-hiking was dragging me down. I was pretty sure I'd keep on backpacking as long as health and circumstances allowed. Just not necessarily five months at a time. ;)My reply to OSUBCS#1 originates from my support of my finance's 2003 attempt. In the end I probably wanted her success more than she did. She had a great time and completed about 800 miles. She came close to spoiling the activity by pushing too hard. I know this will not effect everyone.

Red Hat
07-14-2008, 14:05
I got off less than two days ago. After doing more than 1000 miles in previous years, I thought a SOBO was a great idea. I could either finish as a couple of sections, or go all the way for a complete thru. What I didn't count on was Maine. Sure I knew Katahdin would be difficult. It was amazing and awesome, and I loved it. The bugs, bog, rocks, roots, and rain in the 100 mile wilderness didn't even get to me. What did it was "bouldering". You are walking along and in front of you is a cliff of rock with a white blaze and you have to figure how to get up or down that rocky cliff somehow. Crawling on all fours going up, hanging on to trees or rocks, or sliding down on your rear carefully clutching at anything on the way down, knowing that any slip could be your last... Sounds like fun? Maybe, once or twice, but not over and over. After 100 miles, it finally hit me that I didn't come out to put my life in danger. I came out to hike and this wasn't hiking... Am I disappointed? You bet! So I wimped out... or did I?

4eyedbuzzard
07-14-2008, 14:23
...So I wimped out... or did I?

Sounds like you weren't having fun anymore. Rock scrambling ain't for everyone. You tried it and didn't like it is all. Nothing wrong with that.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2008, 16:30
I got off less than two days ago. After doing more than 1000 miles in previous years, I thought a SOBO was a great idea. I could either finish as a couple of sections, or go all the way for a complete thru. What I didn't count on was Maine. Sure I knew Katahdin would be difficult. It was amazing and awesome, and I loved it. The bugs, bog, rocks, roots, and rain in the 100 mile wilderness didn't even get to me. What did it was "bouldering". You are walking along and in front of you is a cliff of rock with a white blaze and you have to figure how to get up or down that rocky cliff somehow. Crawling on all fours going up, hanging on to trees or rocks, or sliding down on your rear carefully clutching at anything on the way down, knowing that any slip could be your last... Sounds like fun? Maybe, once or twice, but not over and over. After 100 miles, it finally hit me that I didn't come out to put my life in danger. I came out to hike and this wasn't hiking... Am I disappointed? You bet! So I wimped out... or did I?

wimp out? heck no. it's just walkin'. go back out another time

Roots
07-14-2008, 16:51

Did you wimp out? H*LL NO!!! You actually attempted what many and I mean many only talk about. Do NOT kick yourself for that. Any hike is worth the time and work and effort you put into it. When I did my section in April I felt that 200 miles was nothing compared to the people around me attempting a thru. Then there was this one guy at Mt Collins shelter in the Smokies that convinced me otherwise. He said that 200 miles is not to be taking lightly. There are people that do not walk that in years of living. When I thought about it that way, he was right. Be proud for what you accomplished and know the trail is always there to go back to. :)

Appalachian Tater
07-14-2008, 17:05
The people I knew who quit their thru-hike due to reasons other than injury didn't make a rash decision. Some of them stayed on the trail for weeks after they really wanted to quit, either because they hoped their feelings would change or because their friends encouraged them to continue because their friends hoped that the hiker's feelings would change.

Reasons vary:

It wasn't what they expected and they weren't enjoying actually walking all day, climbing up and down mountains. I don't think this is such an awful reason to quit.

Miss the spouse and/or family. That's a hard one. I think it ends up being a matter of priorities becoming clearer.

No more money. That's another hard one. Some people don't start out with enough money and others spend too much along the way.

Occasionally, someone finds something they're looking for. One guy I knew ended up staying at a communal farm.

Some people run out of time and have to return to a job or school.

A repeat NOBOer I met decided to hike the Long Trail instead of continuing on the A.T.

A thru-hike is like college, it's better to go ahead and complete it while you're still in it if you plan to ever finish. Many people who quit saying they'll finish later never do.

Pony
07-24-2008, 02:33
Sorry if I am chimig in late on this topic, but I've been a bit out of touch with technology lately. When I decided to leave the trail, many people thought it was a tragedy. "Oh, I'm sorry", "just stick it out for while", "Are you sure?" I was ready to leave and I wasn't going to let anyone change my mind. Too many people that I met had the mindset (including me) that if they didn't thru-hike they were failures. That's simply not true. I've hiked over 600 miles this year. Outside of the WB community I don't know anyone who has done that. Does that make me special?.... NO.
Let me answer that question again with an emphatic NO!
Wimping out? Anyone who walks hundreds of miles on their own, for their own desire is not a wimp, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
Roots, 200 mi. is a big deal, and you shouldn't feel guitly because that's ALL you did. Hiking is hard, whether it's 5, 500, or 5,000 miles.
What I'm trying to say is, if you enjoy hiking, then go hiking, if not then thar's your problem. Miles are arbitrary. At any rate, HYOH.

A thru-hike is like college, it's better to go ahead and complete it while you're still in it if you plan to ever finish. Many people who quit saying they'll finish later never do.

A.T., good post, however I quit college twice, but later finished. I will finish the A. T. just not in one hike.

rafe
07-24-2008, 05:52
A.T., good post, however I quit college twice, but later finished. I will finish the A. T. just not in one hike.

Heh. My college career was just as crooked and disordered as my AT-sectioning career. There was a seven month wander through Europe in the middle of it. I just can't do anything straight. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 08:15
Thru-hiking ain't for everyone and even many of the ones who do make it all the way say, "I will never do that again".

Welcome to the more enlightened section-hiking club. You will enjoy it more and have something to look forward to each year.

BlindMoose
07-24-2008, 09:41
The way I figure it, anyone could go at anytime anywhere, in fact I (and probably you) have cheated death several times in my life. So I figure i'm on a free roll now anyway and there's nothing to lose. So I might as well follow my dreams and then dream some more and then follow those too. Nothing to lose - no reason to stop.
BM

Kirby
07-27-2008, 20:47
Thru hiking is not for everyone. It never has been and never will be.

Kirby

trailfoot
07-27-2008, 22:30
I Hiked this year (2008) and was determined to reach Mt K no matter what. I was busting 15's for a little while then got into mid 20's. Hiked the first 24 or 26 days by myself, then I ran into a few guys on my way into Damascus. We started hanging out off and on (read http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5632 for more info) It took awhile but our group grew to 5 and then things started to slow down and my goal was slipping farther and farther away. That was OK I just moved my finish date back and then back and then back. Finally everyone was going to NYC or Kent for a few days. That left me alone for 700 miles to finish the last 4 states.

I had been thinking about heading home for 3 states and after leaving the boys I decided it was best to head home to my wife and two kids. At the time I was happy with my decision meaning I was at peace. I had dreamed of hiking from GA to ME and nothing else ever mattered. Not special places like Damascus, McAfee's knob, LeHigh Gap, and other places along the trail. What mattered to me was thuhiking the AT. When i was OK with leaving I left.

I also had the worst feet of the bunch. I constantly had blisters or soars on my feet. It took 2 months of soaking in epson salt and hot water to clear out the callasus, plus my feet are still a little numb.

Tip on half socks make sure they are not too small as they will rub up and down on the skin and make them raw.

Now that you have all that info. The question is do I regret getting off. HELL YA. At first I didn't even want to finish the 700 miles left now I want to finish the 700 miles. Heck I might even do something that I said I would do and that is I might even hike the whole thing again some day. Didn't think I would ever say that.

I did hear the mud in ME was terrible this year and it would have probably sent me home because my feet would have been torn to shreds. One of the hikers took my advice and purchased some VT darn tough socks. I hiked over 1,000 miles on my one pair and I still wear them today (no holes). He burned through his pair and had less than 500 miles on them. The mud in ME was brutal.

Mister
01-22-2012, 04:48
Started on January 1st 2012, turns out it's cold. My gear broke, couldn't afford newer, warmer, lighter stuff. Oh well. Trail isn't going anywhere...

WingedMonkey
01-22-2012, 07:33
Started on January 1st 2012, turns out it's cold. My gear broke, couldn't afford newer, warmer, lighter stuff. Oh well. Trail isn't going anywhere...

Wasn't your announced 2011 south bound hike also a failure? Maybe you need to go camping, enjoy the woods a little.

Monkeywrench
01-22-2012, 11:45
It was strange seeing this thread come up again this morning. I started this thread back in '08 when I was contemplating and preparing for my thru-hike. I did complete my thru-hike in '09, and to a large extent it was just as I expected. I suppose I had an advantage over many thru-hikers in that I have been hiking for many decades, so didn't suffer the shell-shock I saw many others going through as they experienced the realities of hiking; that it's not all beautiful vistas and gentle breezes; that it also includes difficult climbs and rain and mud and bugs and blisters. I knew that people dropped out as early as Neels Gap, but was still stunned when I actually saw it happening. It still boggles my mind that people put their lives on hold and set out on a 6-month long hike without ever having spent a single night in the woods!The first time I got off the trail was when I was just shy of Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro), when I went home for 10 days to spend some time with my daughter after she gave birth. My first day home I was totally lost and pining for the trail. I remember that I had thrown my clothes in the washer and was waiting for them to dry so I could get dressed and go to the store to get some food. It took me a while to realize that I had a whole closet full of clothes that I could wear and didn't have to wait around.After I got back on the hike was still fun and fulfilling, but a bit of the magic had been lost. I felt like before my break I had been totally attuned to trail life, and couldn't imagine being anywhere else. After the break, I never got that feeling of being completely "in place" back. By the time I reached New England I was starting to have physical problems; mostly with my knees. The Whites kicked my ass and left me barely limping along. I got off the trail twice and went home to heal. I ended up slack-packing a lot of southern Maine, which was a very different experience than backpacking is. I suffered right through the Bigelow Range, making relatively low mileage and constantly frustrated with my lack of hiking ability. Finally the trail flattened out after the Bigelows and I found myself flying again. I was SO happy. I cruised to Monson and on through the 100-mile Wilderness. My wife drove up from Bostona and climbed Katahdin with me on Sept 27, 2009. When I read back through the blog I kept during my hiker, I see that I had many wonderful days through New England, but when I think back on it what I remember is a constant state of frustration with the difficult terrain and my wonky knees. I mostly remember wanting it to be done and over with. I figure that must be what so many talk abou as deciding it's not fun anymore and time to go home. But if I had done that I know I would still be regretting it. One of my goals when I started was to complete a thru-hike, and I am incredibly glad that I was able to do that. I understand that not everybody would have made the same decisions I did, but they were mine to make and I'm glad I did. I remember when I started to meet southbounders and remarking on their fresh exuberance for the hike, and it helped me recall feeling that way in the early months of my own hike. It is a wonderful feeling, and I'm not sure I would have felt the same exuberance at starting out on a long and arduous adventure if I didn't have the firm goal of completing a thru-hike. Well, I'm rambling on a cold and snowy winter day, so I'll stop now.

Del Q
01-22-2012, 12:00
I tell people that the "romantic" notion disappears on like day two, or sooner based on weather or a few big ups on the same day.............novelty wears off. Thru hikers have all of my respect.

4shot
01-22-2012, 13:36
I mostly remember wanting it to be done and over with. I figure that must be what so many talk abou as deciding it's not fun anymore and time to go home. But if I had done that I know I would still be regretting it. One of my goals when I started was to complete a thru-hike, and I am incredibly glad that I was able to do that.

I too wonder what brought this thread back to life. I also remember being physically and mentally wore out in NE, especially the last 300 miles. I cracked a tooth in Mass. and was in so much pain I thought I would quit. Of course, my wife supported that and also told me over the phone I'd probably regret quitting later on. The more I thought about it, I realized she was right so I pushed on. Got my tooth fixed in Dalton. Like you, it would have bothered me to quit - it would have nagged at me as unfinished business. Climbing K and touching the sign brought closure to a wonderful and difficult journey.

I plan to do a 3 -500 mile hike this summer. It is interesting how my perception of that mileage has changed after doing a thru-hike. i want to experience the trail now as a section hiker.

Doc Mike
01-22-2012, 17:54
you get it. see ya on the trail :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ZEKE #2http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=656577#post656577) When it comes to my heart, I have to keep telling myself that a thru-hike does not define me, 700 miles was a great accomplishment, and it will be even better when I start off where I got off or attempt another thru. I hope that I can be at peace with this soon.

Quitters always have an excuse and in their mind it is justified.
According to some on here no excuse is a good one and to others any excuse is a good one.
Oh I wasn't happy, or it wasn't fun, I lost interest, something became more important. If you say your going to do something then do it. Otherwise if after saying you were going to through hike and then didn't just admit that you pussed out. Your word needs to mean something.

another example...Marriage..say your vows till death do us part and then stop after "its not fun anymore".

Some will say its not the same. If you don't keep your word in all things than you are a liar. period.

thats my .02

WingedMonkey
01-22-2012, 22:09
It is a wonderful feeling, and I'm not sure I would have felt the same exuberance at starting out on a long and arduous adventure if I didn't have the firm goal of completing a thru-hike. Well, I'm rambling on a cold and snowy winter day, so I'll stop now.

It's in the 70's here in South Florida and I'm half crazy wishing I was testing the cold at my second family's home a half mile down the trail from the Cookie Lady on the trail in the Berkshire hills. A Thru-Hike is neer the end of hiking.

WingedMonkey
01-22-2012, 22:12
It's in the 70's here in South Florida and I'm half crazy wishing I was testing the cold at my second family's home a half mile down the trail from the Cookie Lady on the trail in the Berkshire hills. A Thru-Hike is neer the end of hiking.
A Thru-Hike is never the end of hiking

RockDoc
01-30-2012, 00:57
I hiked 1000 miles and then I thought it might be more fun to do something else for a while.
I was right.

Pony
01-30-2012, 14:20
Quitters always have an excuse and in their mind it is justified.
According to some on here no excuse is a good one and to others any excuse is a good one.
Oh I wasn't happy, or it wasn't fun, I lost interest, something became more important. If you say your going to do something then do it. Otherwise if after saying you were going to through hike and then didn't just admit that you pussed out. Your word needs to mean something.

another example...Marriage..say your vows till death do us part and then stop after "its not fun anymore".

Some will say its not the same. If you don't keep your word in all things than you are a liar. period.

thats my .02

I pussed out in Damascus in 2008. I hiked from Damascus to Katahdin in 2010, and never pussed out except when it came to fording the Kennebec. What makes the difference? Does continuing to do something that is unenjoyable make you not a pussy, or just stupid?

Blissful
01-30-2012, 15:24
I pussed out in Damascus in 2008. I hiked from Damascus to Katahdin in 2010, and never pussed out except when it came to fording the Kennebec. What makes the difference? Does continuing to do something that is unenjoyable make you not a pussy, or just stupid?

Why did you ford the Kennebec anyway? Curious with the canoe available (?) You all were looking good on Mt Washington

Place I lost it - Mahoosuc Notch, alone in the rain with a stocked backpack SOBO. A nightmare. Took me two days to get over it (kept hiking though)

Anyway, why thru? Section hiking is great!

4shot
01-30-2012, 22:38
I was right.

Of course you were..not necessary to say this. Whatever people do, they always rationalize it as being right. That's true whether you finish or quit or don't even start, "you" were right in your decision. people are never wrong...if you don't believe me, just ask them.

Pony
02-02-2012, 13:24
[QUOTE=Blissful;1246549]Why did you ford the Kennebec anyway? Curious with the canoe available (?) You all were looking good on Mt Washington

QUOTE]

No, I didn't ford the Kennebec, I pussed out. Really I had no intention of it, I was 16 miles into a 22 mile day, and the water was at least chest deep. Hillbilly Dave was a welcome sight. And yes we all made it without pussing out.

lemon b
02-04-2012, 13:17
Hiking isn't a contest. Those who can go top to bottom I have nothing but respect and alittle envy toward. Everyone is different in what they can do in life. I think stopping usually has to do with the no more fun factor because of the weather, lack of money factor. Just keep on hiking.... and please always come back when in that mood.

TOMP
02-11-2012, 17:33
I tell people that the "romantic" notion disappears on like day two, or sooner based on weather or a few big ups on the same day.............novelty wears off. Thru hikers have all of my respect.

Probably true but those people were never in love with hiking anyway.

I see alot of posts that seem to attack both people that didnt finish as well as those that did. Doesnt seem like the right attitude. No one ever said you had to finish so if you dont who cares.

And hiking a selfish endeavor? Depends on the person hiking. If all hiking is to you is a walk in the woods then yeah I guess its selfish. But to me its much more, its kinda like an education because I always leave the trail with knowledge I didnt have before. In a way educating yourself is a selfish endeavor too. But its only selfish if you never do anything with the knowledge you have obtained. Many people leave the trail inspired and go on to do great things that they never would have otherwise.

I am thru-hiking this year so who knows what I will get out of the experience. But hiking has always been my muse and inspiration of deep thoughts and has completely enriched my life.

ajwatson
02-23-2012, 21:53
I'm glad I found this thread. Its been fun reading for the past 30 minutes or so. As for me, I stopped in Damascus last summer because it wasn't fun, it was boring etc. Does anyone NOT have to deal with these issues at some point?
I regret coming off the trail, but I'm still thankful I tried. I changed a lot in those 3 weeks, and the trail will still be there when I am ready to try again.

GolfHiker
02-28-2012, 19:48
Great thread. So many good points, perspectives, thoughts, philosophies, responses, etc. I wonder about the age/maturity of those responding, and if you noticed, most of us are "um....", mature. I believe that alone gives you a totally different perspective on long distance hiking. So much in your life has shaped your values, your desires, your willingness to handle challenges. I just wanted to share my .02/cents on this.

Capt Nat
03-08-2012, 10:38
I'm gearing up/preparing for the class of 2013 thru. Two catagories of reasons I don't get to complete are things beyond my control and things I can control. I can only work on the things I can. I can't control sickness, injury, death in the family (a real possibility), or serious family/personal emergency. Some things are more important than hiking. I am happy with every day I have and will be happy with whatever time I have on the trail. I really do want to do the whole distance though. Whatever happens, I'm grateful for the Appalachian Trail and I like listening to the hikers who have done it. You guys rock!

Sevsa
03-08-2012, 19:09
In 1998 I had to get off in GSP because my then wife got very sick. By the time she was well again it was too late to continue and I have never had the opportunity to try again since then. However I am retiring in 2014 and will be on the AT again that spring attempting a thru but this time with company, my present wife. Second time is a charm.

stranger
03-12-2012, 08:02

Sigh....this is why I don't drink anymore, apologies...

However, I do think we are all out there for different reasons, and for some perhaps the most important thing is to finish, for others it's clearly not the case. For me, long-distance hiking is a process, an experience, it's not fixed and it does change as time goes on, because I change as time goes on.

I might try a third attempt in 2013, I would have to change a number of things from my previous hikes. It would have to be fast in order for me to keep interest, and I would have to find ways to keep motivated after the 500 mile mark, my thresholds of the past. I know I CAN walk the AT, that's not a question in my mind...but that's also not what's relevant.

The question is...Do I WANT to thru-hike the AT, and I don't know the answer to that question right now. As the saying goes...'Everyone wants to be an author but very few people want to write a book'.

4shot
03-12-2012, 20:27
The question is...Do I WANT to thru-hike the AT, and I don't know the answer to that question right now. As the saying goes...'Everyone wants to be an author but very few people want to write a book'.

or, as another saying goes, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. The only reward there really is in walking the thing, aside from meeting some wonderful people along the way, is the knowledge that you gain control of yourself...you refuse to give in to the impulse to quit. and if you never feel the urge to quit, then it's just a 5-6 month vacation as they say.:bananayou are truly talking about a win-win scenario here.

pdcolelli42
03-15-2012, 20:20
This has become very interesting. How can you say this is a vacation? A vacation from what? All it really is is a journey in a particular point in my life. It's more of a transition in my life than a vacation. I quit my job to do this, I'm not planning on going back afterwards. I plan for my life to be completely different after this. When I'm done hiking the AT I hope to buy a car (just sold mine) and travel across the country to the west. I want to see what the west has to offer. Once I get there I will either look for a job again and start saving money for my next big adventure or volunteer somewhere in exchange for shelter and food. My point is, this hike has it's place in the grand scheme of things in my life and it's no vacation, more of a transition into a new way of life. I'm not going to be a slave to the traditional ways of holding down a job for the rest of my life all just to retire, I'm going to live my life the way I want starting now.

Next point, I fail to really see how attempting/completing a thru hike would cause me to be selfish. Consider this, I have no wife, no kids, few people I'd call friends, sure I have parents and a sister but to be perfectly honest I'm growing tired of being around them. It seems like they constantly judge what I do, question my choices, and don't even understand what I do or even the way I think. I at least try to think of it from their perspective. I understand that they may think it's a bad idea that I quit college which was nearly 3 years ago, I understand they may think it's crazy to spend 5 months of my life in their minds wasted on the trail, I understand they don't see life the way I do pertaining to the holding down a job thing. They just don't understand the way I have chosen to live and it seems like they don't even pause in their lives to consider my thoughts as to why I chose to be this way. To me that's selfish, me doing what I want with my life may be a little selfish but at least I think more deeply on the matter than them. I've sold nearly all my possessions, my TV, my car, my bed, all the gear I won't need, basically everything that I wont be carrying on my back during this hike (minus some things like my tools and a few clothes that I'll use later in life). I'm starting to get so caught up on all this I can't even complete this thought. Maybe it is selfish in that I'm not doing it for anyone but myself, but then again who else could it possibly be for?

Oh well, I don't know what else to say now but I'm sure someone will have something to say about this.

pdcolelli42
03-15-2012, 20:21
Oh I remembered one other thing I'd like to add to my above post. How bout those who have not thru hiked don't comment on those who have, and those who have thru hiked don't comment on those who have not because neither of you will be able to truly understand the others point of view.

HT1
03-15-2012, 20:40
Pneunonia.

stranger
03-16-2012, 08:59
This has become very interesting. How can you say this is a vacation? A vacation from what? All it really is is a journey in a particular point in my life. It's more of a transition in my life than a vacation. I quit my job to do this, I'm not planning on going back afterwards. I plan for my life to be completely different after this. When I'm done hiking the AT I hope to buy a car (just sold mine) and travel across the country to the west. I want to see what the west has to offer. Once I get there I will either look for a job again and start saving money for my next big adventure or volunteer somewhere in exchange for shelter and food. My point is, this hike has it's place in the grand scheme of things in my life and it's no vacation, more of a transition into a new way of life. I'm not going to be a slave to the traditional ways of holding down a job for the rest of my life all just to retire, I'm going to live my life the way I want starting now.

Next point, I fail to really see how attempting/completing a thru hike would cause me to be selfish. Consider this, I have no wife, no kids, few people I'd call friends, sure I have parents and a sister but to be perfectly honest I'm growing tired of being around them. It seems like they constantly judge what I do, question my choices, and don't even understand what I do or even the way I think. I at least try to think of it from their perspective. I understand that they may think it's a bad idea that I quit college which was nearly 3 years ago, I understand they may think it's crazy to spend 5 months of my life in their minds wasted on the trail, I understand they don't see life the way I do pertaining to the holding down a job thing. They just don't understand the way I have chosen to live and it seems like they don't even pause in their lives to consider my thoughts as to why I chose to be this way. To me that's selfish, me doing what I want with my life may be a little selfish but at least I think more deeply on the matter than them. I've sold nearly all my possessions, my TV, my car, my bed, all the gear I won't need, basically everything that I wont be carrying on my back during this hike (minus some things like my tools and a few clothes that I'll use later in life). I'm starting to get so caught up on all this I can't even complete this thought. Maybe it is selfish in that I'm not doing it for anyone but myself, but then again who else could it possibly be for?

Oh well, I don't know what else to say now but I'm sure someone will have something to say about this.

People hike for different reasons, for some it's a life changing experience that leads to another existence, for others it's simply a break away from their normal life which may be full of heavy responsibility and stress...no two people go on the AT for the same reasons.

Some people thru-hike the AT and never hike again, others use it as a gateway for other grand adventures, still some others have plans like yours then find themselves crying at some bus station in GA or NC...

Only one thing is for certain, you have absolutely no idea about long-distance hiking until you do it, and everyone has different reactions to it.

WingedMonkey
03-16-2012, 12:19
Oh I remembered one other thing I'd like to add to my above post. How bout those who have not thru hiked don't comment on those who have, and those who have thru hiked don't comment on those who have not because neither of you will be able to truly understand the others point of view.

Your choice of avatar makes that more confusing. Most members use that avatar AFTER a thru-hike.

kayak karl
03-16-2012, 12:42
People hike for different reasons, for some it's a life changing experience that leads to another existence, for others it's simply a break away from their normal life which may be full of heavy responsibility and stress...no two people go on the AT for the same reasons.

Some people thru-hike the AT and never hike again, others use it as a gateway for other grand adventures, still some others have plans like yours then find themselves crying at some bus station in GA or NC...

Only one thing is for certain, you have absolutely no idea about long-distance hiking until you do it, and everyone has different reactions to it.
i agree and someone 22 will have a hard time understand that. after rearing 4 kids and working for 44 years, it's a vacation:)

pdcolelli42
03-16-2012, 16:03
Your choice of avatar makes that more confusing. Most members use that avatar AFTER a thru-hike.
Sorry, didn't really realize it was for completed thrus only. I thought it was for people thru hiking from GA>MA. I'll change it.

You're exactly right, it's totally different for everyone. If anything, my plans commit me more to my thru hike, and for the record I've already caught myself crying in NC/TN on a hike. I'm already a hiker, I know what I'm getting myself into. Although there is still plenty left that is unknown.

i agree and someone 22 will have a hard time understand that. after rearing 4 kids and working for 44 years, it's a vacation:)
You fit into the same category that I classified my parents in. You fail to see it from my perspective. Age may have some to do with it, but age does not always equal wisdom. In my opinion you can't just say "some 22yo won't understand" that is a broad generalization. You'd have to at least meet me and listen to what I have to say to understand it from my point of view. I don't know how old you are but it would be similar to me saying you're just some old man who would have a hard time understanding my take on life because your already set in your ways. Just because it's your opinion that it's a vacation doesn't just make it a vacation. Relevant to my life it is not a vacation but more of an experience or a journey as I described it earlier.

pdcolelli42
03-16-2012, 16:10
I actually went to change it and saw an avatar that said "2000 miler NOBO" that looked exactly the same so I'm going to keep the one I have now because there's one specifically for completed thrus. The one I have to me represents exactly what it says, I'm a thru hiker on my way from GA>MA. If some other people weigh in here and correct me I'll change it but the way it reads to me doesn't mean it must be used after a thru.

Also wanted to add another comment to this. For some, yes it is merely a vacation. For others it is something different. The way I described my feelings on the matter I don't see it as a vacation. You agreed that people hike for different reasons. I'm not doing it for vacation.