PDA

View Full Version : favorite smokies campsites

Ashepabst
06-24-2008, 09:16
for me a great campsite can make the trip (even if the hike turns out to be lackluster). what are some of your favorites?

#13 @ sheep's pen gap, between gregory and parson's bald is def one of the best.

i had the pleasure of staying at #38 on mt. sterling last september. there are a few secluded sites off the trail, south of the summit that set in a gorgeous open forest.

i haven't stayed there yet, but i've seen (and i'll be there on saturday if all goes according to plan) #26 off the Miry Ridge Trail. it doesn't look like it's had much use at all compared to so many in the park.

you?

--casey

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 09:17
all my stealth sites are my favorites

spunky
06-24-2008, 09:49
campsite 84 on Hazel Creek trail - on a stream, NO horses allowed, beautiful, large site

Campsite 17 near Abrams Creek ranger station is a sweet site

Campsite 18 is really pretty on a creek but I've never stayed there

70 is nice at the junction of Jonas and Forney Creeks

Of course 13 Sheep Pen Gap on Gregory and 38 on Mt. Sterling are great sites!

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a campsite. These are some of the nicer ones with flat tent sites on beautiful creeks. This is probably not the "complete" list.

Rcarver
06-24-2008, 10:23
I'm wondering if #26 has any water. There are several springs dry right now. The park website has #24 as being dry. I think it is meant to read either 26 or 42. Both of these sites dry up pretty quickly when we haven't had rain in a while. I called the park back country office about the #24 listing, telling the guy that if #24 was dry we are in trouble. What with it being right beside the little river. He said he didn't know. He would have to check it out. It is still listed on the website. But, i still feel that it is wrong.

generoll
06-24-2008, 13:56
Enloe Creek is one of my favorites. It's small and requires a reservation, but I love the bridge and the cataracts there. It might be a decent swimming hole in the summer.

Ashepabst
06-24-2008, 13:59
I'm wondering if #26 has any water. There are several springs dry right now. The park website has #24 as being dry. I think it is meant to read either 26 or 42. Both of these sites dry up pretty quickly when we haven't had rain in a while. I called the park back country office about the #24 listing, telling the guy that if #24 was dry we are in trouble. What with it being right beside the little river. He said he didn't know. He would have to check it out. It is still listed on the website. But, i still feel that it is wrong.

i suspect you're right. it is one of the higher sites in the park. i've tried calling the backcountry office about water near #26 but haven't been able to get through yet. please let me know if you find out.

the little brown book says there's a spring at the site and that, otherwise, i'm looking at a 2-mile round trip to the lynn camp prong headwaters.

Rcarver
06-24-2008, 14:21
i suspect you're right. it is one of the higher sites in the park. i've tried calling the backcountry office about water near #26 but haven't been able to get through yet. please let me know if you find out.

the little brown book says there's a spring at the site and that, otherwise, i'm looking at a 2-mile round trip to the lynn camp prong headwaters.

I've been calling all day trying to get reservations for a trip and the phone either just rings or is busy.

Silver Bear
06-24-2008, 18:30
#31 is a great site. It is between 2 streams. At the end of Porters Creek Trail.

sliderule
06-25-2008, 16:30
I've been calling all day trying to get reservations for a trip and the phone either just rings or is busy.

I had the same experience over the last three days. I finally got answer; the poor fellow that I spoke with was incredibly slow. I had to give him my phone number one digit at a time!!! But I did get a reservation for Sheep Pen Gap on Sunday. Hopefully the flowers at Gregory Bald are still blooming.

sliderule
06-25-2008, 16:32
#31 is a great site. It is between 2 streams. At the end of Porters Creek Trail.

Some might argue that the Porters Creek Trail ends on the AT.

Rcarver
06-25-2008, 17:28
I had the same experience over the last three days. I finally got answer; the poor fellow that I spoke with was incredibly slow. I had to give him my phone number one digit at a time!!! But I did get a reservation for Sheep Pen Gap on Sunday. Hopefully the flowers at Gregory Bald are still blooming.

Must have been the same guy I talked to. It took about as long to give him my information as it did getting someone to answer the phone.
Maybe, he was across the room from the phone and I just didn't let it ring enough times for him to get to it.

MOWGLI
06-25-2008, 17:32
There's a nice site on the BMT on Deep Creek. Great fishing there. There's another on the Lakeshore Trail near a canoe pull out. That makes a sweet swimming spot. Don't know the campsite numbers though.