PDA

View Full Version : How is hammock camping at Neels gap?

urbansix
06-24-2008, 10:12
I was planning a 3-day section in a couple of weeks, Unicoi Gap to Neels Gap with my kid. Plan is to drive up to Neels one evening (4th of July most likely) and then get a shuttle ride to Unicoi the next morning, hike back to the car.
The only other time I hiked through Neels Gap it was early morning and I blasted through and didn't really pay attention to their camping sites. I just remember there was a lot of open grassy areas behind the hostel (& frisbee golf...) , and then it got pretty steep soon after that. Are there plenty of hammock-friendly camping spots (for 2 hammocks), or would I have better luck further up the trail?
Another option would be a stealth site somewhere between Byron Reese parking lot and Neels Gap. Again, wasn't looking for it the last time. I know it's No Camping at Reese, but there's ~2 miles of trail.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 10:16
there's plenty of places to hang either side of the road

Kerosene
06-24-2008, 10:21
There's a nice tent/hang area perhaps half a mile north of Neels Gap, although there were a number of tenters there when I passed through several April's ago. Regardless, there are a lot of trees with minimal underbrush in that area that should work just fine for hammockers.

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 10:23
Um, last I checked, hammock camping required the presence of two trees.

There is no shortage of these at Neel Gap. :rolleyes:

But seriously, urbansix, just go north for a few minutes from the road, you'll be fine.

urbansix
06-24-2008, 10:41
Cool - thanks for the input! Yeah - there are trees everywhere, but I was remembering steep & narrow coming down from the Blood Mountain side of the highway, and climbing out of the back side of the hostel area, after the tent clearings. But sounds like I'm good to go. Thanks again!

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 10:49
Any questions about this, talk to Winton or his staff when you get there; they'll be glad to help you out.

take-a-knee
06-26-2008, 00:26
Um, last I checked, hammock camping required the presence of two trees.

There is no shortage of these at Neel Gap. :rolleyes:

But seriously, urbansix, just go north for a few minutes from the road, you'll be fine.

Yeah, there are trees everywhere, along with four foot tall brush in places, if you plan to just "hang anywhere", bring your slingblade. Otherwise, look for a campsite.