View Full Version : Drowning at the James River Foot Bridge

Hikerhead
06-24-2008, 13:15
From The Roanoke Times....

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/166946

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 13:19
Sad story.

Over the years, lots of folks have come here to Whiteblaze to advocate or brag about "bridge jumping" expolits.

This is frequently a bad idea.

Hikerhead
06-24-2008, 13:21
I've canoed in that lake and have been hung up on stumps just underneath the surface that you could not see.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:22
Over the years, lots of folks have come here to Whiteblaze to advocate or brag about "bridge jumping" expolits.

who would that be?

Freeleo
06-24-2008, 13:23
i jsut dont like to jump into water i cant see through no matter how tall or short the jump and this jsut reinforces that fear

jersey joe
Sounds like a freak accident. Says the kids jumped and swam in the river all the time.

Jack Tarlin
Not naming anyone, Wolf, so calm yourself.

All I said was that folks have come here to crow about the joys of bridge jumping.

As I already said, this is not always a good idea. Sometimes it gets people hurt or killed.

You disputing this or what?

Appalachian Tater
06-24-2008, 13:24
I've canoed in that lake and have been hung up on stumps just underneath the surface that could not see.

i jsut dont like to jump into water i cant see through no matter how tall or short the jump and this jsut reinforces that fear
You can never be sure of what the conditions will be in a moving body of water, as far as objects in the water, fixed or in motion, as well as water currents.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:25
i jump off the bridge in hanover

DesertMTB
06-24-2008, 13:29
Not naming anyone, Wolf, so calm yourself.

He just asked who would that be? Seems pretty calm to me.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:30

:rolleyes: really. jackieboy seems to be THE drama queen on here lately :cool:

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:32
i've jumped off the train bridge down river in hot springs several times. that's a scary-ass jump

MOWGLI
06-24-2008, 13:40
Sad story. My heart goes out to the family. I jumped off bridges and rock ledges all the time as a youth and a younger man. But for the grace of god, there go I.

max patch
06-24-2008, 13:40

LW is stirring the pot.

LW knows who Jack is referring to. I'll give credit to Jack for not saying more and thus avoiding the typical WB bash fest that would surely ensue.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:45
LW is stirring the pot.

LW knows who Jack is referring to. I'll give credit to Jack for not saying more and thus avoiding the typical WB bash fest that would surely ensue.

lw is not stirring the pot. lw has no idead who jack is referring to. now if you want to discuss fording....

double d
06-24-2008, 13:51
There are few things in life worse then hearing of a young person drowning, especially while they were on their summer vacation swiming in a river that they seemed to know well. I think we all had our Tom Sawyer experiences as youths. My heart goes out to the family.

Blissful
06-24-2008, 15:19
When we crossed last year kids were jumping off of it. They have no fear.

Pedaling Fool
06-24-2008, 15:33
In the days before I got to the bridge I remember hearing thru-hikers talking about all the jumpers, so when I crossed this year, in a SOBO direction, I saw some trail maintainers jumping off the bridge. I know they were maintainers because I saw them the next day doing trail maintenance. I remember thinking: Someone's eventually going to die doing this. Not claiming to be a Nostradamus, just predictable because of the waterfall downstream.

Sad, but what can you do.

Moe
06-24-2008, 20:53
That is sad. An eighteen year old just drowned a day or so ago in a swollen river here in Northern Illinois. Water is powerful. Don't **** with it.

Phreak
06-24-2008, 20:57
now If You Want To Discuss Fording....
...lol...

OutdoorsMan
06-24-2008, 22:45
Is this the same bridge where we see thru's jumping off of a bridge in "Walking With Freedom"?

Pedaling Fool
06-24-2008, 23:45
Is this the same bridge where we see thru's jumping off of a bridge in "Walking With Freedom"?
Never seen the movie, but here's a pic.

kanga
06-25-2008, 08:57
i've jumped off the train bridge down river in hot springs several times. that's a scary-ass jump

that's an awesomeass jump! i have pictures of our co-ed nekkid bridge-jumping team from '96 at that bridge!!

kanga
06-25-2008, 09:00
that's sad that the boy drowned. did anybody hear exactly why? did he hit something or did he wash down to the falls that jg mentioned?

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 13:47
I am interested in finding out whether this young man was doing a simple feet-first jump off the bridge, a simple head-first dive, or doing some sort of flips before he entered the water. I also would be interested if he was sober or not and/or if he entered the water near a bridge pylon.

I am looking forward to my first jump off this bridge when the opportunity presents itself.
The height appears to be about the same as the bridge into Hanover and the White River Bridge (between 18-22').

The scorecard is now:

Kennebec = 1
James River = 1
Billville Hiker Feed (Duncannon) = 1
Sunrise Mt. Pavilion = 1
Low Gap Shelter = 1
Tray Mt. Shelter = 1
Double Spring Gap Shelter = 2
Hurricane Gap = 1
Vanderventer Shelter = 1
Wapiti Shelter = 2
Bluff Mountain = 1
Big Meadows = 2
Keys Gap = 2
Wolfsville Rd = 2
Birch Run Shelter vicinity = 1
Thelma Marks Shelter (now Cove Mountain Shelter) = 2
Fox Gap = 1
south of Delaware Water Gap = 1

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 13:56
Well, seems to me lots of people over the years have expressed a desire that Mr. Doyle go jump off a bridge.

Glad to see he evidently got the idea first. Best of luck with this new one, guy!! :D

Oh, and let the record show that while he might have been in Duncannon, I don't recall him attending our feed (even tho everything was free!) or putting in an appearance. He's been invited to our events and campsites many times, but he's always been too afraid to show up. :rolleyes:

Alligator
06-25-2008, 13:59
I am interested in finding out whether this young man was doing a simple feet-first jump off the bridge, a simple head-first dive, or doing some sort of flips before he entered the water. I also would be interested if he was sober or not and/or if he entered the water near a bridge pylon.

I am looking forward to my first jump off this bridge when the opportunity presents itself.
The height appears to be about the same as the bridge into Hanover and the White River Bridge (between 18-22').

The scorecard is now:

Kennebec = 1
James River = 1
Sunrise Mt. Pavilion = 1
Low Gap Shelter = 1
Tray Mt. Shelter = 1
Hurricane Gap = 1
Vanderventer Shelter = 1
Wapiti Shelter = 2
Bluff Mountain = 1
Big Meadows = 2
Keys Gap = 2
Wolfsville Rd = 2
Fox Gap = 1
south of Delaware Water Gap = 1I believe those are deaths he's keeping track of.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 14:01
A scorecard of death and making light of a young man's death by drowning. Truly pathetic Warren.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:03
Oh, I get it now. Thanx for pointing this out. What a weird, twisted, morbid thing to want to keep track of. :rolleyes:

But speaking of hiker deaths at the Kennebec crossing, Warren, wanna tell us what the deceased was doing at the time of the tragedy?

Gee, you don't wanna talk about that?

Didn't think so.

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 14:05
Alligator-"A scorecard of death and making light of a young man's death by drowning. Truly pathetic Warren."We have come to expect no less from Warren.

kanga
06-25-2008, 14:05
A scorecard of death and making light of a young man's death by drowning. Truly pathetic Warren.

seriously? i thought it was bridges he'd jumped off.:confused:
but where did he make light?
not defending, just confused.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 14:07
seriously? i thought it was bridges he'd jumped off.:confused:
not defending, just confused.He said he was going to jump off the same bridge. Think that would go over well at the kid's funeral?

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:08
But speaking of hiker deaths at the Kennebec crossing, Warren, wanna tell us what the deceased was doing at the time of the tragedy?

trying to cross the river when the water was way too high?

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:09
not defending, just confused.

he didn't. jack just hates him

kanga
06-25-2008, 14:11
He said he was going to jump off the same bridge. Think that would go over well at the kid's funeral?

no, but i doubt that piece of info is newsbreaking enough to make it to the funeral. i watched while some kid grabbed a rope too low and jumped off the rock quarry down here. he didn't let go and slammed back into the side, killing himself. i still showed up at the rock quarry for the next pow-wow.
i wouldn't think it would be disrespectful to jump off the bridge?

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:12
Aw, s***, let's not rehash this to death again. Fording the river is a dangerous thing to do. So is jumping off bridges. Advocating either is not a particularly useful or bright thing to do, especially for someone who brags about being an "educator."

Wolf knows this, too. He's just crying Wolf.

Not sure what Warren's excuse is.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:13
No, Wolf, you're wrong. It's not about "hate." It's just that I don't think people should come here and cheer on or advocate stuff that gets people crippled or killed.

I simply don't think that doing this is a public service.

You and Mr. Doyle are cordially invited to disagree.

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 14:13
no, but i doubt that piece of info is newsbreaking enough to make it to the funeral. i watched while some kid grabbed a rope too low and jumped off the rock quarry down here. he didn't let go and slammed back into the side, killing himself. i still showed up at the rock quarry for the next pow-wow.
i wouldn't think it would be disrespectful to jump off the bridge?

Wow. That must have been a hard thing to witness.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 14:14
i wouldn't think it would be disrespectful to jump off the bridge?It's what you say when nobody can hear you that is truly a measure of yourself.

kanga
06-25-2008, 14:14
jack, have you ever been on mcafee knob?

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:15
Aw, s***, let's not rehash this to death again. Fording the river is a dangerous thing to do. So is jumping off bridges. Advocating either is not a particularly useful or bright thing to do, especially for someone who brags about being an "educator."

Wolf knows this, too. He's just crying Wolf.

Not sure what Warren's excuse is.

huh? fording the river is safe if done early in the morning

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:17
No, Wolf, you're wrong. It's not about "hate." It's just that I don't think people should come here and cheer on or advocate stuff that gets people crippled or killed.

I simply don't think that doing this is a public service.

You and Mr. Doyle are cordially invited to disagree.

warren hasn't advocated or cheered on anything or anybody in this thread.

kanga
Wow. That must have been a hard thing to witness.

it was horrible. it's still a fresh image and it's been almost 20 years. didn't help that all 50 or so of us were skipping school and everybody was too freaked out to call the cops to report it.

Jack Tarlin
If this goes on, it'll kill the thread, which would be a shame.

Seems to happen a lot shortly after Mr. Doyle chimes in. :rolleyes:

A young man has died in a tragic, entirely avoidable accident. This isn't about the Kennebec river. It's about common sense.

If people want to defend foolish, reckless behavior, this is a singularly inappropriate thread on which to do it.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 14:20
common sense is not common
people will believe what they want to believe

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:20
If this goes on, it'll kill the thread, which would be a shame.

Seems to happen a lot shortly after Mr. Doyle chimes in. :rolleyes:

A young man has died in a tragic, entirely avoidable accident. This isn't about the Kennebec river. It's about common sense.

If people want to defend foolish, reckless behavior, this is a singularly inappropriate thread on which to do it.

no. it seems to happen when YOU chime in

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 14:24
it was horrible. it's still a fresh image and it's been almost 20 years. didn't help that all 50 or so of us were skipping school and everybody was too freaked out to call the cops to report it.

I know what you mean. I saw an auto fatality 20 years ago and I can still remember the scene like it was yesterday.

P.S. Are you a Bulldawgs fan? You guys got a big game tonight!

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:24
All I said was that jumping off bridges is pretty reckless and stupid, and can get people badly hurt or worse.

If the poor kid who died here was available for comment, I suspect he'd agree with me.

And that was my "chime."

kanga
06-25-2008, 14:28
I know what you mean. I saw an auto fatality 20 years ago and I can still remember the scene like it was yesterday.

P.S. Are you a Bulldawgs fan? You guys got a big game tonight!

woof! woof! woof! damn skippy!
there's dogs and then there's DAWGS!!!

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 14:36
woof! woof! woof! damn skippy!
there's dogs and then there's DAWGS!!!

My coworker is a dawgs nut too. He wasn't very happy this morning though.

kanga
06-25-2008, 14:39
oh, he's one of them...

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 15:40
The "Demonizing Duo" have entered the house.

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 15:43
WD-"The "Demonizing Duo" have entered the house."You and Wolfie. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:45
You and Wolfie. :rolleyes:

fart and jackie. tater tot will be along soon

Alligator
06-25-2008, 15:52
I called him on this one.

Here's the fellow's guestbook (http://www.legacy.com/roanoke/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=112166180) Warren. He wasn't drinking and his cousin (http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/james_river_drowning_victim_identified/6017/) was out warning people about it soon after. You want to let his family know you'll be jumping soon?

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:53
fart and jackie. tater tot will be along soon
tater's the other one? i thought it was gator.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:54
tater's the other one? i thought it was gator.

it used to be TJ but he doesn't post much any more

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:55

Here's the fellow's guestbook (http://www.legacy.com/roanoke/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=112166180) Warren. He wasn't drinking and his cousin (http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/james_river_drowning_victim_identified/6017/) was out warning people about it soon after. You want to let his family know you'll be jumping soon?
did you find out what happened yet? what was the cousin warning about? just that he died or what caused it? weird currents?

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:55
it used to be TJ but he doesn't post much any more
who's tj?

Alligator
06-25-2008, 15:56
did you find out what happened yet? what was the cousin warning about? just that he died or what caused it? weird currents?Read the article. He drowned after jumping in the river. The cousin was warning some other would-be jumpers.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:58
who's tj?

TJ aka Teej

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:01
Read the article. He drowned after jumping in the river. The cousin was warning some other would-be jumpers.
thank you captain obvious. it was apparent to me that he drowned after jumping in the river. one usually does have to be in water for that to happen. however, as it was a jump they had done before, i was wondering whether he hit his head, or got the breath knocked out of him, or hit the pyling, or ended up going over the waterfall, or if the river was so low he hit the bottom... see where i'm going with this?

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 16:07
Kanga-"...see where i'm going with this?"Drop your ghoulish obsession with this tragedy, you're begining to look like Warren.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:08
thank you captain obvious. it was apparent to me that he drowned after jumping in the river. one usually does have to be in water for that to happen. however, as it was a jump they had done before, i was wondering whether he hit his head, or got the breath knocked out of him, or hit the pyling, or ended up going over the waterfall, or if the river was so low he hit the bottom... see where i'm going with this?I gave you the link, read it yourself for the details:rolleyes:.

MOWGLI
06-25-2008, 16:10
I gave you the link, read it yourself for the details:rolleyes:.

There aren't any "details" in the article. That was Kanga's point.

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 16:11

Thanks for the info to help me answer one of my questions concerning his drowning. This info also raises another question: Did he suffer an epileptic seizure?

I see no reason to notify his family of when I will jump off that bridge as I see no reason for you to ask that question.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:11
Drop your ghoulish obsession with this tragedy, you're begining to look like Warren.

ghoulish? seriously? i just wanted to know what happened.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:12
There aren't any "details" in the article. That was Kanga's point.

The 623-feet-long pedestrian bridge is about 50 feet high, said Gary Roakes, public safety director for Amherst County. The water near the center of the river is about 20 feet deep, he said.
Annie Downing, district ranger for the National Forest Service, said the river is inherently dangerous and its depth and hazards are constantly changing.
“There is no prohibition against jumping from the bridge,” Downing said. “The railing is seven to eight feet high for a reason. That is so we don’t have to prohibit it. The railing is a sign that there is danger below, to stay on the bridge. … People need to realize it is not a swimming area. It is not a jumping platform.

Enough details for me. She needs anything else, she can call the investigators. It's still a little early though, considering they haven't buried him yet.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:14
Enough details for me. She needs anything else, she can call the investigators. It's still a little early though, considering they haven't buried him yet.

blow it out your ass gator, i want more details, i can ask here in the forum where people are following the occurance. i don't need to ask the investigators, as it appears they are most likely busy.

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 16:17
Drop your ghoulish obsession with this tragedy, you're begining to look like Warren.

Pfft. Nothing ghoulush nor obsessive on wondering what the detail are. Don't be an asshat.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:19
blow it out your ass gator, i want more details, i can ask here in the forum where people are following the occurance. i don't need to ask the investigators, as it appears they are most likely busy.Then don't quote me when you're feeling too lazy to get the information yourself.

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 16:19
I gave you the link, read it yourself for the details:rolleyes:.

Aren't you supposed to be a moderator here? Don't act like a condescending *******.

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 16:22
Kanga-'ghoulish? seriously? i just wanted to know what happened."Ghoulish (def.)-"Fascinated with corpses"

I'm sure if anyone involved wanted to let some ghoul know they'd call you personally. Drop it.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:22
Then don't quote me when you're feeling too lazy to get the information yourself.
i didn't quote you so much as ask you a question that i thought you might have the answer to. sorry, i didn't know you were such a jerk. it is duly noted and won't happen again.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:23
Aren't you supposed to be a moderator here? Don't act like a condescending *******.Look, I am not going take every punch thrown at my because I'm a mod. She want's to be sarcastic, I'll be sarcastic.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:23
Ghoulish (def.)-"Fascinated with corpses"

I'm sure if anyone involved wanted to let some ghoul know they'd call you personally. Drop it.
what crawled up your ass today? i'm not fascinated with corpses i'm curious about the situation. and don't tell me what to do please.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:24
i didn't quote you so much as ask you a question that i thought you might have the answer to. sorry, i didn't know you were such a jerk. it is duly noted and won't happen again.And I told you to read the article for the level of detail you wanted. Then you got sarcastic. Like you weren't jumping on me because I said something to Warren?

MOWGLI
06-25-2008, 16:25
what crawled up your ....

It involves Warren, and has since post #2. That's the issue. Plus, he's NEVER wrong, so don't waste your time.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:28
And I told you to read the article for the level of detail you wanted. Then you got sarcastic. Like you weren't jumping on me because I said something to Warren?
um, jumping on you for warren, lemme go back and read this through again....
nope. not jumping on you. just asking you to clarify something i didn't understand rather than make an assumption.

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 16:29
Ghoulish (def.)-"Fascinated with corpses"

You can't attack someone like that and tell them to drop it. You drop it *******!

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 16:31
Oh, ok. I saw your real name. Explains a lot Richard.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:32
um, jumping on you for warren, lemme go back and read this through again....
nope. not jumping on you. just asking you to clarify something i didn't understand rather than make an assumption.Sure;).

you know, you really should be over here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38479 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38479)

it's where all the cool kids are.

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2008, 16:32
You can't attack someone like that and tell them to drop it. You drop it *******!
Kanga's doing pretty good on her own, don't think she needs any help:sun

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 16:34
Kanga-"what crawled up your ass today? i'm not fascinated with corpses i'm curious about the situation. and don't tell me what to do please."Thank you for showing your true character. The more you post the more inane you look. Also your obsession with Alligator's and my nether regions is perverse.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:34
Sure;).

what does that have to do with warren? i just told ed to take a look at this thread. man, you sure do have a high opinion of yourself today if you think it's all about you.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:36
Thank you for showing your true character. The more you post the more inane you look. Also your obsession with Alligator's and my nether regions is perverse.

i didn't think i'd ever hidden my true character. i don't like asshats and i'm not going to take their crap. did anybody else have a problem understanding that?
as for y'all's nether regions - you're right. i can barely contain myself. i've got chills.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:37
what does that have to do with warren? i just told ed to take a look at this thread. man, you sure do have a high opinion of yourself today if you think it's all about you.You're the cool kid today, not me. It looks like you called in your friends list.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:40
You're the cool kid today, not me. It looks like you called in your friends list.

honey, i'm always the cool kid. didn't you know that?

Alligator
06-25-2008, 16:43
honey, i'm always the cool kid. didn't you know that?Sweetie, I'd have never guessed. Bless your heart.

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:46
Sweetie, I'd have never guessed. Bless your heart.

LOL! good answer!

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 16:48
Kanga-"i didn't think i'd ever hidden my true character."

Kanga-"what crawled up your ass today?"
Kanga-"blow it out your ass gator..."
I see you don't quite grasp sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Kanga-"i don't like asshats"Self-loathing and failure to capitalize are self-esteem issues.;)

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:54
I see you don't quite grasp sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Self-loathing and failure to capitalize are self-esteem issues.;)
i'm glad to see you think you have wit. at least somebody does...

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2008, 16:59
Looks like everyone blew their wad. Time for a cigarette break.:sun

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 17:01
Kanga-"i'm glad to see you think you have wit." Enough to distract you from your ghoulish pursuit . Works great.:welcome

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 17:10
LOL@thread :p

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 18:13
ghoulish? seriously? i just wanted to know what happened.

the trinity is blinded by their hatred for warren. the rest of us understood your inquiry

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 18:15
Aren't you supposed to be a moderator here? Don't act like a condescending *******.

he's one of the warren haters :D

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 18:33
Mowgli:

You recently cited Post #2 in this thread.

I just re-read that post.

It is exactly three sentences long.

In the post, I said that over the years, quite a few folks have come here to Whiteblaze to either advocate bridge-jumping, or to brag about therir own experiences with this phenomena.

I futher said, speaking of bridge jumping, that the practice wasa frequently a bad idea.

I named nobody in my post. I was at pains to say that "lots" of folks had advocated or bragged about bridge jumping. No individual was singled out; nobody was named.

So with that in mind, please re-read post #2 and tell us what you object to in that post.

If bridge jumping is, in fact, NOT a bad idea, tell us why you feel this is so.

Thank you.

sheepdog
06-25-2008, 19:06
Kids die driving fast cars. Kids die driving motorcycles. Kids die riding bikes and jumping off bridges. I hate it when kids die, but feeling invincible and bulletproof is the best part of being a kid. Luckily most of us live through it. I am sorry for the family and I pray for their healing.

MOWGLI
06-25-2008, 19:38
So with that in mind, please re-read post #2 and tell us what you object to in that post.

If bridge jumping is, in fact, NOT a bad idea, tell us why you feel this is so.

Thank you.

I don't need to re-read post #2. And I don't "object" to any aspect of it.

And regarding bridge jumping, this is a tragedy. Especially for the kid's family and friends. But if on a hot day I happened on a bridge with no signs prohibiting jumping, and saw locals successfully jumping into the water, I might join them. In fact, I have jumped off of a 25'-30' cliff with my daughter in past years. When she was young, I taught her to jump off a 15' waterfall at a spa we belonged to in Vernon, NJ. That helped build her self confidence and provided hours of good summer fun.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 21:32
Thanks for the info to help me answer one of my questions concerning his drowning. This info also raises another question: Did he suffer an epileptic seizure?

I see no reason to notify his family of when I will jump off that bridge as I see no reason for you to ask that question.Since you acted inspired to replicate the conditions of this young man's death, it's reasonable to suggest that you share that with the family.

Or don't you think it would be comforting?

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 21:33
Since you acted inspired to replicate the conditions of this young man's death, it's reasonable to suggest that you share that with the family.

Or don't you think it would be comforting?

he's gettin' to you too :) don't succumb

Alligator
06-25-2008, 21:34
he's gettin' to you too :) don't succumbThis one's wrong Wolf. You don't do crap like that right after someone dies.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 21:42
Some people obviously do...... :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 21:46
some people have absolutely no sense of decency and are eager to repeatedly prove it-so sad.

rickb
06-25-2008, 21:53
I think Warren forgot to mention the Clarendon Gorge.

I wouldn't recommend bridge jumping or motorcycles. Especially the latter.

I removed the diving board from my pool.

My choice.

People die and get hurt on the trail and other pursuits.

Dunkin Donuts kills far more.

Living life with too many fears is worse. Why is everyone so sensitive? You value life, then save one. If you don't know to whom you can write a check, google. Being offended by acquaintances is a waste of time, save outrage and disappointment for family and close friends, if anyone.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 22:05
For me this isn't about the bridge-jumping Rick, it's about showing a little decency for someone who just died.

We make a contribution every month and it goes towards saving lives.

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 22:19
Once again, it is a reading comprehension thing combined with "we see (interpret) with what we possess."

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:23
Yeah, and the prevailing view on what people are seeing is that you're being an insensitive douche.

That clear enough for you?

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 22:26
Yes, just more 'name-calling' from an adolescent-like bully. Maybe we should call it "The Seven Year Bitch".

Alligator
06-25-2008, 22:28
Once again, it is a reading comprehension thing combined with "we see (interpret) with what we possess."
Your first comments on reading about this young man dying are how did it happen and that you plan to jump off the bridge. You'd never done it before, then suddenly decided it was in the future. It's right below.

The scorecard is now:

Kennebec = 1
James River = 1
Sunrise Mt. Pavilion = 1
Low Gap Shelter = 1
Tray Mt. Shelter = 1
Hurricane Gap = 1
Vanderventer Shelter = 1
Wapiti Shelter = 2
Bluff Mountain = 1
Big Meadows = 2
Keys Gap = 2
Wolfsville Rd = 2
Fox Gap = 1

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 22:29
Yes, just more 'name-calling' from an adolescent-like bully. Maybe we should call it "The Seven Year Bitch".

You know what Warren I just got through reading everything you said on this post to figure out if you are as big of a jerk as some say, and what you've written on this forum is despicable. So ya you deserve a little name calling here.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:30
Warren: That would be really funny if not for the fact that your friend Wolf called me the exact same thing on another thread a few minutes back, and it didn't faze you a bit. In fact, you said not a word.

So don't give us the "I'm so offended at this name calling" bit, cuz nobody's buying it. Like so many other things, you're full of self-righteous crap.

And the crucial difference between us, Warren, is that I'll call you out to your face, and not from hundreds of miles away. Maybe in 10,000 years, you'll try it. But I kinda doubt it.

See ya.

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 22:34
Warren: That would be really funny if not for the fact that your friend Wolf called me the exact same thing on another thread a few minutes back, and it didn't faze you a bit. In fact, you said not a word.

So don't give us the "I'm so offended at this name calling" bit, cuz nobody's buying it. Like so many other things, you're full of self-righteous crap.

And the crucial difference between us, Warren, is that I'll call you out to your face, and not from hundreds of miles away. Maybe in 10,000 years, you'll try it. But I kinda doubt it.

See ya.

You have had several opportunities in the past several years to do that, but you haven't.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 22:34
God forbid that was your own son Mr. Doyle. Go say something decent in the guestbook.

Good night.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:36
Nice challenge there, Warren. Be careful what you wish for.

See ya in October! When I call you a douche in front of fifty people, I hope they film it for posterity. :rolleyes:

Tabasco
06-25-2008, 22:37

I don't think it's an act.....................

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 22:38
You have had several opportunities in the past several years to do that, but you haven't.

and he won't

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:39
Betcha fifty bucks you're wrong, Wolf. :D

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 22:46
WD is in just as bad taste as Don West poetry. Who can forget WD's reading at the Gathering in Hanover.

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 22:49

See ya in October! When I call you a douche in front of fifty people, I hope they film it for posterity. :rolleyes:I'll give your $20 if you do it twice, once for me by proxy.

rafe
06-25-2008, 22:50
Anything like Vogon poetry? :-?

Oh freddled gruntbuggling,
Thy nacturations are to me
As plurdled grabbleblotchits
On a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my footing turlingdromes
And hooptiously drangle me
With crinkly binglewurgles,
For otherwise, I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't!

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:54
Couldn't get past the first line there, Terrapin.

I have no idea what "gruntbuggling" might be, but the fact that you're publicly promoting it doesn't seem surprising. :eek:

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 22:59
_terrapin_"Anything like Vogon poetry?"It's not as bad as: "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning";)

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 23:00
Anything like Vogon poetry? :-?
Oh freddled gruntbuggling,
Thy nacturations are to me
As plurdled grabbleblotchits
On a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my footing turlingdromes
And hooptiously drangle me
With crinkly binglewurgles,
For otherwise, I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't!

I rather like like Vogon poetry as long as I don't run into any Vogons . lol:D

Frau
06-25-2008, 23:06
We live only a few miles from there and are there often on weekends. The most recent group of young folks had made a rope swing with bike cycle handlebars on the end. They got great big Tarzans swings (and yells) most every time. One young man I watched two weekends ago lost his grip and looked like he was going to hit the pylon. I cringed, but he did not hit it.

I thought to myself at the time that someone was going to get hurt. I just figured it would be a different way.

I know how the parents feel, and hope that one day I will be together enough to speak to other parents who have lost a child. We can help each other.

Frau

Frau
06-25-2008, 23:09
HAHA, bicycle handlebars not bike cycle.

Fr.

Wise Old Owl
06-25-2008, 23:19
that's sad that the boy drowned. did anybody hear exactly why? did he hit something or did he wash down to the falls that jg mentioned?

Yes in other posts on the internet from news sources - he jumped into a underwater wood pile and forced himself into something he could not escape from.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 23:25
There have been several near drownings in Hanover in recent years from divers/jumpers getting stuck in underwater obstacles below the Ledyard Bridge; these obstacles cannot be seen from the bridge above. And there have been several serious injuries from folks jumping off the bridge in nearby West Hartford, Vt.

It's a really stupid thing to do.

OregonHiker
06-25-2008, 23:38

See ya in October! When I call you a douche in front of fifty people, I hope they film it for posterity. :rolleyes:

"Liquid Courage" :mad:

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 23:55
Every single summer someone drowns in a nearby lake after using the illegal rope swing, rock jump or just swimming outside the lifeguard rope. Every year people wring their hands and point fingers on who needs to do what to stop these senseless tragedies. Every year their is a plan, money is made available, and people make promises. Every year nothing changes and another 1 or 2 people lose their lives.

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 23:56

Caffeine can be a dangerous drug. :)

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 00:22

Okay, so you weren't referring to caffeine. I never met Jack, but I know enough about him that he speaks his mind in person, as well as online, regardless of whether he has just had his morning coffee or after an adult beverage late in the day. And why are you mad that he might have an adult beverage? Are you young, in recovery, what?

Um, did you notice Jack posts his real name here. He doesn't hide who he is, so why would he speak differently in person than he does here. He has nothing to hide. How about you?

And why do you have your underwear in a knot over what Jack has to say all the time? I just noticed your last 20 posts have been targeted at Jack. What's up with that? Did he wrong you in some way? Are you fighting some demons and need to take it out on someone? Why are you snivelling wherever Jack posts? Maybe its time for a new hobby? Perhaps you can chase different electron over in electronville?

Have a nice night. :)

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 05:31

whoopee! you're gonna call him a douche. :eek: how horrifying :rolleyes: i'll give ya .50 cents

mrc237
06-26-2008, 06:33
Okay, so you weren't referring to caffeine. I never met Jack, but I know enough about him that he speaks his mind in person, as well as online, regardless of whether he has just had his morning coffee or after an adult beverage late in the day. And why are you mad that he might have an adult beverage? Are you young, in recovery, what?

Um, did you notice Jack posts his real name here. He doesn't hide who he is, so why would he speak differently in person than he does here. He has nothing to hide. How about you?

And why do you have your underwear in a knot over what Jack has to say all the time? I just noticed your last 20 posts have been targeted at Jack. What's up with that? Did he wrong you in some way? Are you fighting some demons and need to take it out on someone? Why are you snivelling wherever Jack posts? Maybe its time for a new hobby? Perhaps you can chase different electron over in electronville?

Have a nice night. :)

Gunslinger mentality!!! :rolleyes:

kanga
06-26-2008, 07:03
Yes in other posts on the internet from news sources - he jumped into a underwater wood pile and forced himself into something he could not escape from.
oh my God, that's horrifying! that poor child. thanks for the update owl.

saimyoji
06-26-2008, 08:21

Wasn't there a matter of a missing shelter register that was going to be scanned and posted here for all to see? :-? I can't remember the details, it was so long ago, but wasn't there a bet involved? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 08:30
Hey Saim, why don't you come to the Gathering, too.

With one epithet, I can get a "two-fer". :D

saimyoji
06-26-2008, 08:34
Hey Saim, why don't you come to the Gathering, too.

With one epithet, I can get a "two-fer". :D

But would you have the courtesy to give me a reach-around? :D

(I already know I'm a douche)

How about that register entry?

rafe
06-26-2008, 08:36
Wasn't there a matter of a missing shelter register that was going to be scanned and posted here for all to see? :-? I can't remember the details, it was so long ago, but wasn't there a bet involved? :rolleyes:

Not to mention a detailed accounting of factual errors in "A Walk in the Woods." (And not another rehash of the business about the headmaster/West Point dude from Norwich.)

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 08:36
Um, you REALLY want to get back to that one?

Even Warren himself never denied it, cuz he KNOWS he put stuff like this in registers quite regularly.

That should tell you something. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 08:53
Practically this entire thread has turned into another Whiteblaze embarrassment. How sad, yet predictable.

mrc237
06-26-2008, 08:56
Practically this entire thread has turned into another Whiteblaze embarrassment. How sad, yet predictable.

Another into the 10%! ;)

mrc237
06-26-2008, 08:58

Actually could be said of 90% of the site! 10% useful info 90% BS and packsniffers!

DesertMTB
06-26-2008, 10:24
Also your obsession with Alligator's and my nether regions is perverse.

It's none of my business and I'm sure Kanga can take care of herself, but that remark would earn you a black eye in the real world buddy.

And since this is a small community, I would suggest you those remarks to yourself.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 10:28
It's none of my business and I'm sure Kanga can take care of herself, but that remark would earn you a black eye in the real world buddy.

And since this is a small community, I would suggest you those remarks to yourself.It's none of my business, either, but she did ask him what crawled out of his ass before he said that, so in context I don't see why it would merit a black eye "in the real world".

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 10:34

Precisely.

Thanks Wise Old Owl. An underwater woodpile. I'll check into that. Do you have links to the specific source(s) of this particular piece of info?

mudhead
06-26-2008, 11:56
On a practical note.

I was instructed as a rugrat to never jump into water that I had not swum around in to check for underwater stuff. Rocks, rebar, old cars, etc.

Especially important in old rock quarries. Can't always see the hugey snapping turtles that pop up while you are drying in the sun.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 12:05
On a practical note.

I was instructed as a rugrat to never jump into water that I had not swum around in to check for underwater stuff. Rocks, rebar, old cars, etc.

Especially important in old rock quarries. Can't always see the hugey snapping turtles that pop up while you are drying in the sun.

Yep, but even when it is "safe" below, it might not be safe if you are high enough and hit the water the wrong way.

Ever jump from a 10-meter platform? The first time I dove head-first, followed a lifeguard's advice and locked my arms straight and hands into a fist and smacked myself in the head when I made contact with the water. It nearly knocked the breath out of me, too. Next time I went feet first, I could feel the water separate my toes when I hit.

High diving is a stunt best left to thrill seekers. Haven't done it since I was a kid. If that is the kind of thrill you seek, fine. Just know there are risks regardless of whether it "looks safe" or not.

mudhead
06-26-2008, 12:10
Agreed.

I have not been off a rope, or high ledge in 25 years. I am happy now to get wet.

Works better if you learn from lower height, then move up in baby steps.

My point was to look around before you leap.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 12:34
Agreed.

I have not been off a rope, or high ledge in 25 years. I am happy now to get wet.

Works better if you learn from lower height, then move up in baby steps.

My point was to look around before you leap.

And confirm the height is safe.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 12:44
Any river presents a very dynamic situation. What was clear one day could be a problem the next as the current can move submerged logs into the path of unsuspecting thrill seekers.

Even when I was a kid, I was always pretty cautious, and would never be the first to jump. There was a bridge on Route 304 in New City (NY) over a tributary of Lake Deforest. That jump always scared the crap out of me, no matter how many times I did it.

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 13:30
This thread is starting to make sense finally.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 13:32
This thread is starting to make sense finally.This thread is about a dead young man who drowned after jumping off a bridge.

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 13:35
How can a dead young man jump off a bridge, let alone drown?

Alligator
06-26-2008, 13:43
This thread is starting to make sense finally.No, it still doesn't make sense why this young man's death inspires you to jump from the same bridge.

Alligator
06-26-2008, 13:59
...If I'm misunderstanding anything about this statement, I'm listening. Take the opportunity to explain it.

Roughin' It
06-26-2008, 14:03
I live 30 mintues away from that, and was just there last weekend. It is a beautiful spot and people are there all of the time during the summer. He must have jumped off of the wrong side, but nobody jumps off of that side because there are known to be some rocks there. I have never hit the bottom either, so I guess it was just a case of bad luck.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 15:26
No, it still doesn't make sense why this young man's death inspires you to jump from the same bridge.

Where did Warren say that this tragedy inspired him to want to jump off the bridge? There's a big difference between what he said and what you're suggesting he said.

Alligator
06-26-2008, 15:45
Where did Warren say that this tragedy inspired him to want to jump off the bridge? There's a big difference between what he said and what you're suggesting he said.Inspire
a. To stimulate to action; motivate: a sales force that was inspired by the prospect of a bonus.

He said he'd never jumped off that bridge before. He read about the drowning, then decided he'd make the jump.

In light of the events, do you think what he said was appropriate? Yes or No.

Bearpaw88
06-26-2008, 15:46
how Can A Dead Young Man Jump Off A Bridge, Let Alone Drown?

Woww........

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 15:47
He said he'd never jumped off that bridge before. He read about the drowning, then decided he'd make the jump.

Show me where he said that. Maybe I missed it.

Pedaling Fool
06-26-2008, 15:47
Woww........
Yeah, he's pathetic.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 15:56
Woww........

Yeah, he's pathetic.

See. No comments from JT needed. People can see for themselves. :)

The Old Fhart
06-26-2008, 15:58
The perceptive reptile is correct. MOWGLI, reading comprehension is a mere 12 steps away.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 16:03
I'm beginning to believe there is such as thing as Doyle Derangement Syndrome. Warren seems to invoke so much anger, that people start to read things that aren't actually there. Happens all the time.

Alligator
06-26-2008, 16:11
Show me where he said that. Maybe I missed it.I've quoted it a couple times now, but it's in bold below. I have added the boldface. Post #25.

The scorecard is now:

Kennebec = 1
James River = 1
Sunrise Mt. Pavilion = 1
Low Gap Shelter = 1
Tray Mt. Shelter = 1
Hurricane Gap = 1
Vanderventer Shelter = 1
Wapiti Shelter = 2
Bluff Mountain = 1
Big Meadows = 2
Keys Gap = 2
Wolfsville Rd = 2
Fox Gap = 1

The Old Fhart
06-26-2008, 16:12
MOWGLI-"I'm beginning to believe...."(Warren is a saint.;)) apologist

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 16:22
You two obviously have some reading comprehension issues. Your allowing your feeeeeelings about Warren to divine something out of Warren's post that simply isn't there. No where did he say (or infer) that this tragedy inspired him to want to jump off the bridge.

Alligator
06-26-2008, 16:32
apologistWarren's Chief Packsniffer:D.

You two obviously have some reading comprehension issues. Your allowing your feeeeeelings about Warren to divine something out of Warren's post that simply isn't there. No where did he say (or infer) that this tragedy inspired him to want to jump off the bridge.
I'm not going to diagram the sentence Chief. Event, new idea based on the event.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 16:34
I'm not going to diagram the sentence Chief. Event, new idea based on the event.

At least you don't pretend to be objective. I'll give you that much.

Alligator
06-26-2008, 16:41
At least you don't pretend to be objective. I'll give you that much.You are the only one in here defending his statement. Objective enough?

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 16:49
At least you don't pretend to be objective. I'll give you that much.

Warren never expands his words so that they are plain or worthy of further thought or dialogue. He says as little as possible to generate a reaction - yes, not a response, a reaction. Then gets all smug when people call him on it. He absolutely adores the attention of those who react. But, he ain't no revolutionary genius or whatever he wants people to believe about him. And he ain't even worth this note. But feel free to go ahead and defend him till the cows come home. Pity he can't speak plainly so that a defense is not needed.

Have a good one. :)

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 16:55
You are the only one in here defending his statement. Objective enough?

First of alll, I'm not defendiing his statement. You seem to be fully engulfed in Doyle Derangement Syndrome with that assumption.

Secondly, I'm just trying to keep you honest. That seems to be an impossible task. Warren does enough o generate legitimate criticism. No need to make stuff up.

Lastly, you and I have corresponded privately enough to know that I'm not Warren's packksniffer. far from it. Now maybe you're the one who should think about offering an apology.

Alligator
06-26-2008, 17:15
What do you call it when someone suddenly develops an idea based on something they heard. Inspiration. I gave the definition. Warren's free to come on and explain to me why that is incorrect. I reject your interpretation of my interpretation:D.

Your not defending his statement but you ducked out of answering whether it was an appropriate thing to say:-?. Answer the question and we could talk about your interpretation.

I didn't call you any names before you suggested I was suffering from derangement Mowgli. Nor did I initiate this current exchange. I didn't start with the jabs, you did. I'll offer you a truce, quit jumping on me in this thread and I'll quit responding. My disagreement is with Warren, he's fully capable of responding or not responding.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 17:25
What do you call it when someone suddenly develops an idea based on something they heard.

Tell me Carnac. How do you know where, when or how Warren "develops an idea"? :D

Your not defending his statement but you ducked out of answering whether it was an appropriate thing to say:-?. Answer the question and we could talk about your interpretation.

The comment was ill timed, at best. I agree.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 17:33
The comment was ill timed, at best. I agree.

And it certainly wasn't a coincendence. Of course, timing is one way WD looks to draw a reaction.

Maybe WD has Reaction Deficit Disorder. :D

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 18:59
Warren never expands his words so that they are plain or worthy of further thought or dialogue. He says as little as possible to generate a reaction - yes, not a response, a reaction. Then gets all smug when people call him on it. He absolutely adores the attention of those who react. But, he ain't no revolutionary genius or whatever he wants people to believe about him. And he ain't even worth this note. But feel free to go ahead and defend him till the cows come home. Pity he can't speak plainly so that a defense is not needed.

Have a good one. :)

you're a jacksniffer

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 19:00
And it certainly wasn't a coincendence. Of course, timing is one way WD looks to draw a reaction.

Maybe WD has Reaction Deficit Disorder. :D

you'll never put him on ignore

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 19:15
you'll never put him on ignore

Why should I? Some of his commentary on speed hikes and following Jennifer lately are interesting. I ain't against speed hikes like the person who you accuse me of sniffing. There may be some other things I like to hear from WD, I mean other than pure entertainment, but I can't think of any at the moment. :)

Alligator
06-26-2008, 20:24
Tell me Carnac. How do you know where, when or how Warren "develops an idea"? :DI knew you'd say that, I've got the envelope ready:banana.

The answer is:
Dependent.

And the question is (rips envelope),

What the chief is upon WD:eek:.

Oh wait, that's the answer to tomorrows show:p. The question is, Was Warren's post dependent or independent of the thread topic.

He either decided that day that all of sudden he was going to write about jumping off the bridge at the James River independent of this drowning and reading about it on WB or his statement was dependent upon reading about the drowning here. Hell of a coincidence if it was independent.

Carnac says the statement was dependent, and thus motivated/inspired by the thread topic. That's not psychic mumbo jumbo BTW, just pure and simple logic. He put the statement in the same thread:datz .

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 20:25
If I'm misunderstanding anything about this statement, I'm listening. Take the opportunity to explain it.

Finally, a reasonable post with a reasonable question (which deserves a response).

I have walked across the James River Foot Bridge about a dozen times since it was completed, always remembering Bill Foot for whom the bridge is dedicated to.

I have enjoyed jumping off of high places, only when it is safe to do so and from no more than 25' high, into deep water along the trails I've walked - Little Rock Pond; Gulf Hagas; Bluestone River Gorge; Brush Creek Falls; Eagle Creek; Clarendon Gorge; from the bridges into Hanover, NH and West Hartford, VT; Rattle River; Frye Brook; Monson quarry. I have wanted to jump off the James River Foot Bridge for several years now but the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet. Either the weather was too cold or it was at night or there were no local jumpers there to get tips from (if there are no locals around I usually check the depth of the water that I would be jumping into to make sure there is are no objects to hit underwater; i.e. rocks; tree trunks/branches; pylons/metal rods; abandoned vehicles).

I still hope to find out more detailed info about how this accident happened.
Was it indeed an underwater 'woodpile' that the young man got entrapped in?

No, this unfortunate accident did not 'inspire' me to jump off that bridge.
I never said that it did.
Once again, it is a reading comprehension thing ("we see only what we possess").

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 20:54
Finally, a reasonable post with a reasonable question (which deserves a response).

I have walked across the James River Foot Bridge about a dozen times since it was completed, always remembering Bill Foot for whom the bridge is dedicated to.

I still hope to find out more detailed info about how this accident happened.
Was it indeed an underwater 'woodpile' that the young man got entrapped in?

No, this unfortunate accident did not 'inspire' me to jump off that bridge.
I never said that it did.
Once again, it is a reading comprehension thing ("we see only what we possess").

Okay. I would like to pose a reasonable question.

I see jumping off bridges is your thing, which is fine as it sounds like you take precautions which is good for readers to understand.

I am not sure if it is illegal on some of the examples you mentioned in your unabridged answer. And I am not sure where the legalities rank versus say a speeding ticket, which I am sure most get at some point in their driving careers, so we can leave that be for the moment.

My question is: What are your thoughts on talking at someone's funeral about how you would have done it better than the unfortunate victim did? I mean, this is an open forum, and the kid's friends and family could very well be reading this as they put their loved one to rest. I am genuinely curious and would appreciate an answer. Thank you.

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 21:02
Mr. Doyle has just told us that he enjoys jumping off of high places when it's safe to do so.

He then listed a bunch of the places he's jumped from.

In the case of at least two of these places, (Hanover and West Hartford), people have been seriously injured and almost killed jumping from these places.

In another case (Clarendon Gorge), at least one drowning has taken place at or near the present bridge site.

In short, these aren't "safe" places, and for Mr. Doyle to pretend otherwise, and to tell people otherwise, is reckless and irresponsible.

Why is it Mr. Doyle seems to be about the only person who has trouble understanding this?

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:04
Mr. Doyle has just told us that he enjoys jumping off of high places when it's safe to do so.

In the case of at least two of these places, (Hanover and West Hartford), people have been seriously injured and almost killed jumping from these places.

In another case (Clarendon Gorge), at least one drowning has taken place at or near the present bridge site.

In short, these aren't "safe" places, and for Mr. Doyle to pretend otherwise, and to tell people otherwise, is reckless and irresponsible.

Why is it Mr. Doyle seems to be about the only person who has trouble understanding this?
in short, warren doesn't tell people to jump off anything. he just says what HE does. calm down, lose your hatred and READ :D

OregonHiker
06-26-2008, 21:04

I drive to work every day on roads where people have been killed in car accidents. I am not going to sell my car amd start walking.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 21:07
Doyle Derangement Syndrome is alive and well.

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 21:07
Okay. I would like to pose a reasonable question.

I see jumping off bridges is your thing, which is fine as it sounds like you take precautions which is good for readers to understand.

I am not sure if it is illegal on some of the examples you mentioned in your unabridged answer. And I am not sure where the legalities rank versus say a speeding ticket, which I am sure most get at some point in their driving careers, so we can leave that be for the moment.

My question is: What are your thoughts on talking at someone's funeral about how you would have done it better than the unfortunate victim did? I mean, this is an open forum, and the kid's friends and family could very well be reading this as they put their loved one to rest. I am genuinely curious and would appreciate an answer. Thank you.

Unusual question.
I do not consider my way 'better than'.
We all have different ways to reduce or manage risk.
I still don't know the exact circumstances that caused this drowning.
From what I gleaned, there were no drugs/alcohol involved, the young man had epilepsy, and there was supposedly an underwater 'woodpile' involved.
Where did he jump off the bridge? North end, south end, middle? Upriver, downriver?
If someone has more details, I would appreciate a link.

rafe
06-26-2008, 21:08
I drive to work every day on roads where people have been killed in car accidents. I am not going to sell my car amd start walking.

When gas is $25 a gallon, we'll all be walking and your car won't be worth diddly-squat. ;)

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 21:09
in short, warren doesn't tell people to jump off anything. he just says what HE does. calm down, lose your hatred and READ :D

Precisely.

Doyle Derangement Syndrome is alive and well.

Obviously.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 21:11
Warren, you've been living rent free in Jack & Old Phart's heads for about 6+ years. I think it's time to start charging market rates. :D

Odd Thomas
06-26-2008, 21:12

The list of things to do gets pretty short after awhile if you scratch off everything someone has died doing. :)

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:14
Warren, you've been living rent free in Jack & Old Phart's heads for about 6+ years.

and TJs, tater's and gator's

rickb
06-26-2008, 21:15

No one's at the funeral here.

Though if they were, I suspect lecturing those attending about the victim's irresponsible behavior might be seen as in poor form. Especially if you didn't know all the details surrounding the tragedy.

What do you think?

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 21:22
No one's at the funeral here.

Though if they were, I suspect lecturing those attending about the victim's irresponsible behavior might be seen as in poor form. Especially if you didn't know all the details surrounding the tragedy.

What do you think?

I think Warren's continued questions in an open forum (that friends and relatives may be reading) about the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate victim's death so he can make the jump safer for himself is in poor taste. That's what I think. Other's may think otherwise.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:24
I think Warren's continued questions in an open forum (that friends and relatives may be reading) about the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate victim's death so he can make the jump safer for himself is in poor taste. That's what I think. Other's may think otherwise.

you sound like jack more and more

Skidsteer
06-26-2008, 22:09
The Jack and Warren show rides again...

Find something else to talk about folks.