PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the Smokies w/ snow

Big Dawg
02-19-2004, 20:14
I'm planning a Smokies trip starting 2/28/04, & was told there is a 6 inch snow base now. I've never hiked 70+ miles in snow. My question is whether there are any areas on the AT in the smokies that are difficult to follow due to snow on the ground (ex. blaze on open rocks that are now covered by snow). I realize most area's will be easy to follow b/c most blazes are on tree's, & AT is a worn (dug out) footpath. Just looking for a heads up on any difficult areas to look out for. Thanks!!

MOWGLI
02-19-2004, 20:26
are any areas on the AT in the smokies that are difficult to follow due to snow on the ground

It shouldn't be much of a problem at all. The AT in the Smokies is a trench. Besides, the weather forecast calls for warmer weather for the next 10 days. There may be no snow at all when you get there. Then again, there could be 3' of snow. That's the probblem with weather in the mountains. It's unpredictable.

9 Mules
02-20-2004, 07:55
I'm up in the Park every day cause its in my backyard and alls well now. April is the month I fear cause of '93, but hey you just never know.

snowshoe
02-20-2004, 08:01
I'm up in the Park every day cause its in my backyard and alls well now. April is the month I fear cause of '93, but hey you just never know.

I have always wondered What are the smokies like on an average winter. Is there usually snow on the ground all winter like up here in the north or does it come and go. I have read average snowfall for the highest peaks is around 65 inches of snow for the season. That is how much we get here in High Point SP NJ but it stayes around all winter, never melts until march or April. Thanks

someday
02-20-2004, 09:35
If you're on the trail and you get a couple feet of snow, can you still find the trail? Doesn't the trench get buried? We were there last April when the road to Newfound Gap was closed for a couple of days due to snow and I wondered what hikers on AT do in conditions like that. Luckily we were backpacking on trails at a lower elevation.

9 Mules
02-21-2004, 10:01
Snow doesn't stay around long ( a day or 2) but for elevations above 3k and even then its not that bad. The trail is on a ridge most of the way, you can see down on both sides in places. North of Newfound Gap it can get a little tricky cause your dropping down to the Pigeon River/Interstate 40 @ about 1800 ft. I'm at 2200. Best to get out of the Park or get to a shelter asap before it gets bad and I'd drop to the Tennessee side, just remember that's on your left if your going North, cause its quicker getting back to humanity/rides/food/help etc. Highway 321 is close, it runs parallel with the Park. The only road up in the Park is at Newfound Gap that'll take you to HQ and Gatlinburg. We get alot of people lost even during the summer, so be carefull

Kozmic Zian
02-21-2004, 10:38
Yea.....Snow in Smokys. I was up there in early March '01, when there was a pretty good snow and ice storm. Well, I'll say this.....It was very slick in hard patches north of Charlie's Bunion. The Bunion itself, on the outside go around, was tretcherous, flat scarry where it drops off in that one spot. I had to jump and hope! No crampons or ice shoes. Going into Peck's Corner is a hell of a slick spot. Be very careful there . Because a spring saturates the trail there, and it glazes hard.

I would reccommend some kind of ice shoe/over to help with the slick spots. I tried it without those, and had disasterous results. Injured a knee. I guess you could do The Smokys in winter without crampons or ice/overs, but it's risky. KZ@

smokymtnsteve
02-21-2004, 11:05
Yea.....Snow in Smokys. Going into Tri-Corner Knob is a hell of a slick spot. Be very careful there . Because a spring saturates the trail there, and it glazes hard.

KZ@

yea..slick spots..spring saturates trail near Peaks Corner turnoff.

steve hiker
02-21-2004, 12:04
I was there in early January, and the snow was two feet deep from just past Cosby Knob (going southbound) to Peck's shelter. Was very slow and frustrating postholing in that stuff. Beyond Peck's to Newfound Gap it wasn't bad at all, and in fact was bare trail much of the time. There was more snow near Icewater, but wasn't as deep as before.

Regardless of some difficulty hiking in it, I love the mountains in snow. The beauty of winter is stunning.

Big Dawg
02-21-2004, 13:38
I agree, I can't wait, should get some great pictures, hope there's at least a little snow around. Anyway, as mentioned above, I will be using Yak Track crampons, never used before, but seem good enough.

Tn Bandit
02-21-2004, 15:19
We hike to Charlies Bunion from New Found Gap in January and it was a little tricky in areas that did get enough sun to melt away the snow completely. It’s not the snow that’s a problem as much as it is the snow that melts that turns into an ice glaze. We are hiking Mt Cammerer Sunday I will let you know how that section.

Capt Chaos
02-24-2004, 17:48
The Smokies are in my back yard as well and from what I can see, I dont see any snow. I normally look up there every day on the highway (Wishing I was up there) and havent seen any today. That also may change with the percip coming. Supposedly the weather is to warm up and look pretty nice in the next few days. It has actually been warm enough lately that I have been wearing sandals for the past three days. Good luck on your trip.

Over and Out,
Captain of The Chaos

papa john
02-24-2004, 19:17
Any idea as to the availablility of shelter reservations for the Smokies in March? I would maybe like to try to go through there before the onslaught of thru-hikers get that far. Anyone have any idea? I am going to call the registration # tomorrow.

GSMNP00
02-24-2004, 22:17
Hey James,
As someone that's section hiked the Smokies many times, at this time of year, the combination of altitude and lower than normal temperatures make what you're planning kind of dangerous. There is almost no way you can get lost, but you're walking on ridges, that have can have extreme winds, ice, and blowdowns. If things get tough, expect to go about 1/2 mile/hour (no kidding). Shelter space and firewood are scarce (water should be OK). Still, on a good day, this is probably one of the most awesome parts of the trail. Good luck!
John (I don't have a name)

I'm planning a Smokies trip starting 2/28/04, & was told there is a 6 inch snow base now. I've never hiked 70+ miles in snow. My question is whether there are any areas on the AT in the smokies that are difficult to follow due to snow on the ground (ex. blaze on open rocks that are now covered by snow). I realize most area's will be easy to follow b/c most blazes are on tree's, & AT is a worn (dug out) footpath. Just looking for a heads up on any difficult areas to look out for. Thanks!!

tombone
02-24-2004, 23:36
is piled up heavy and deep in shady and north facing areas above 4500 ft. right now - sunny side can be completely clear, though soggy - postholing especially later in the day on warm days will be the rule in spots up high - old, wet snow = wet feet; crampons for ice, but only in the bad places...

Big Dawg
02-25-2004, 00:01
Thanks all!! Great info!!!! Countdown to Saturday!!!:clap :clap

Papa John, there was available space for beginning of March when I sched. my trip a few wks ago. May have filled up by now??

snowshoe
02-25-2004, 08:10
For those smokey locals. How is the snowshoeing and XC skiing or is it not worth it since the snow does not last?

Big Dawg
02-26-2004, 00:39
Smoky neighbors, how's your back yard lookin??? :datzweather...

Capt Chaos
02-26-2004, 08:00
Smoky neighbors, how's your back yard lookin??? :datzweather...
****NEWS FLASH****
Severe Snow Storm in the Smoky Mountains. I am afraid that you will be doing a good amount of Postholing. I am watching the news now at 6:55 on Thursday Morning and they are expecting 6"-12" in the Smokies. That means a lot up top. I would probably even guess there may be a few drifts. This weather most definitly would not keep me from going but I dont know about you. It would be a lot of fun. Also, temperature should not be too bad. It isnt really that cold here now. Just enough for the snow. It is also supposed to warm up some in the next few days. So you may have nice pretty days with a nice layer of snow on the ground. That makes for a pleasant hike. Just keep your feet as dry as possible. When you get to camp, try to get a fire going to dry stuff or put your boots in a plastic bag and place them at the foot of your sleeping bag. Other than that, all I can wish you is happy trails.

Over and Out,
Captain of The Chaos

steve hiker
02-29-2004, 17:26
Just got back from doing a Newfound Gap to Fontana section. It snowed all day Thursday where I was hiking, between Siler's Bald shelter and Spence Field, but not very heavy. Just steady snow all day. There was only about 6" on the trail, not enough to slow you down. A lot of the past snow buildup had melted away.

On Wedsnesday evening I met a few NOBOs who were going by Clingman's Dome the next day, so they probably got it a little deeper. But even then it probably wasn't that bad. Not like in Janaury from just past Cosby to Peck's Corner, when the snow was a couple feet deep and fresh, meaning postholing all the way. This week's snow was just plain cool to be in.

Best part was standing atop Thunderhead mtn about an hour before dark, with the surrounding peaks shrouded by drifting clouds and the snow falling from the sky. Some of it landing around me or flying further on toward another peak. Nothing but the sound of wind and snowflakes tinkling into the surrounding rhododendrun. (The rhodos up there still have their leaves tightly folded and pointed straight down, in mid winter mode, while those down lower have their leaves out wide and buds forming.)

For those of us who love winter hiking, nothing beats hiking in the snow.