PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right sleeping pad

Arae
06-24-2008, 18:45
I'm looking for a sleeping pad that is lightweight and durable. I'm fairly tall for a woman at 5'11" and would need something a little longer than the average ladies sizes. I also am wondering which lasts longer, inflatable or closed cell pads? I do a lot of back packing and am looking for an upgrade, so any suggestions would be great!

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 18:46
I'm looking for a sleeping pad that is lightweight and durable. I'm fairly tall for a woman at 5'11" and would need something a little longer than the average ladies sizes. I also am wondering which lasts longer, inflatable or closed cell pads? I do a lot of back packing and am looking for an upgrade, so any suggestions would be great!

What are you upgrading from?

Wags
06-24-2008, 20:04
closed cell pads, much like styrophome will probably last much longer than you and i will :D

i use a BA insulated airmat and love it. was recommended by a lot here to me when i did my pad upgrade and i'm glad i took their advise

Tagless
06-24-2008, 20:09
Having tried several other options, I've come back again to the Big Agnes Insulated Core Pad. It provides my best night sleep! I haven't had a BA product failure yet, but will deal with it (i.e. patch it) for the comfort it provides.

Blissful
06-24-2008, 20:10
Ditto on Big Anges insulated mat. Love mine. But many also like the Thermarest prolite.

Summit
06-24-2008, 20:26
Big Agnes inflatable mattresses are 'king o' the hill' for comfort. No peers here. They come in three flavors (last I checked). Basically if you want more temperature insulation, it will cost you in $$ and weight.

But hey, we older folk gotta have cushion. You're 16! You can sleep comfortably on a sheet of tin foil! :D :p

dajawag
06-24-2008, 21:54
Check out ExPed - full length, 2.5" thick, down filled, and ~1.5 lb. Bit pricey but delivers a great nights sleep.

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 23:08
Ditto on Big Anges insulated mat. Love mine. But many also like the Thermarest prolite.

Thermarest prolite is epic.

Can be used as a raft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kUfyS2JIqI&feature=related

or a sled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asW2NgdTiTE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4vmDbDrPM&feature=related

and can even be made into a life preserver.

Wise Old Owl
06-24-2008, 23:14
Big Agnes inflatable mattresses are 'king o' the hill' for comfort. No peers here. They come in three flavors (last I checked). Basically if you want more temperature insulation, it will cost you in $$ and weight.

But hey, we older folk gotta have cushion. You're 16! You can sleep comfortably on a sheet of tin foil! :D :p

LOL - Man you are just not right ... Must be a Hiker!!!

bigcranky
06-25-2008, 08:44
Conventional wisdom says that inflating pads are more comfortable, and that closed cell foam pads are more durable and easier to use. Note, however, that a CCF pad can become permanently compressed after only a couple of years of use, while many hikers have had Thermarest self-inflators last for decades.

I bought a Thermarest Prolite 4 when it first came out, and it's been my faithful companion ever since. It's comfortable even for sleeping on my side, and I've never had a leak in five years or more of use. These are not cheap, nor are they ultralight, but they make it possible for me to get a good night's sleep in the backcountry.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 09:08
I think you realize that for full coverage you will need to go with a 72" pad, unless you don't mind your feet off the pad. That works for some people.

If you sleep on your side a lot, and want a self inflating pad, I'd recommend going a little thicker than a Prolite 3, say a Prolite 4.

Treated well a T-rest can last for many years. I have one that is 14 years old and it still gets used for car camping. I've never had one leak but it certainly happens that people get holes in them. I do have two that I've been using with the chair option for a number of years now and they still hold up.

Some of the really thick pads like Big Agnes could also be an option. They look quite comfy.

buz
06-25-2008, 09:20
I think you have got the best advise possible in the above posts. But figure out what you are looking for, first. Is weight the overriding feature, or comfort more important? If weight is, something closed cell or a shortie TR pad. How do you sleep, on your side? If so, I do, and I agree that the Prolite 4 is minimum thickness needed for side sleepers in the TR style mattress. FWIW, I have used a TR LE pad no longer made for many years that is just too heavy. Changed to the BA insulated model and really like it. Just not for any temps below 30, IMO. Anything above, its' my go to.

Mags
06-25-2008, 09:22
Lightweight, cheap and durable? CCF from XYZMArt..aka "Blue Foam Pad".
Comfort your over-riding concern? Thermarest
Want something in the middle? Get Z-lite (formerly known as a z-rest) or a Ridge Rest.

Personally, I use the "blue foam pad" as I prefer going light and tend to beat on my gear.

YMMV.

Arae
06-25-2008, 10:41
Thanks for all the help. I'm planning a thru hike for next summer the day after I graduate HS. And was looking for something that would carry me well over into then; comfort is not the issue weight is and becuase i sleep on my back anything would suffice.

10-K
06-25-2008, 10:45
Check out the Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4 length pad. Just right for your height. Weighs 8 oz, rolls up pretty tight. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_3_quarter.html

I like mine...

Summit
06-25-2008, 14:26
Just not for any temps below 30, IMO. Anything above, its' my go to.The BA Dual Core is rated to 0 degrees. Having one, I haven't been down to zero yet, but I have been in sub-freezing temps and I typically just drape my sleeping bag over me with my body right on the mattress. The Dual Core is incredibly warm against my skin at freezing temps! ;)

Summit
06-25-2008, 14:29
comfort is not the issue weight is and becuase i sleep on my back anything would suffice.Then mags' advice is for you:

Lightweight, cheap and durable? CCF from XYZMArt..aka "Blue Foam Pad".Translate that: "XYZMArt" = Wal-Mart! :)

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 14:32
Thanks for all the help. I'm planning a thru hike for next summer the day after I graduate HS. And was looking for something that would carry me well over into then; comfort is not the issue weight is and becuase i sleep on my back anything would suffice.

The Big Agnes works great. I did have a leak in mine once but was able to replace it. If comfort it not the biggest issue try a Thermarest. I am 5"10 and the Big Agnes was long enough for me, but I knew several others that used a Thermarest and were happy. If you really don't care about comfort try a foam pad but you might regret it.

Mags
06-25-2008, 16:02
Then mags' advice is for you:
Translate that: "XYZMArt" = Wal-Mart! :)

Or K-Mart, Target, Dick's sporting goods...

Anyplace that sells discount sporting goods. Curiously, Neptune Mountaineering (http://www.neptunemountaineering.com/neptune/) (here in Boulder), one of the best (if not THE best) mountaineering stores in the country also sells the blue foam pads...and army surplus wool liners. What works, works. Even it is the cheapest alternative. :)

Army surplus stores also sell a similar pad for a similar price. Comes in greenish-grey.

Cookerhiker
07-06-2008, 16:23
After more years than I can remember - at least 15 - my trusty Thermorest has apparently died. On my second night camping in Dolly Sods this week, I awoke around midnight realizing that my mattress had deflated. Blew it up again and didn't hear or feel a leak. Back to sleep, up again in 3 hours deflated again. Same story, up at 6 on a mostly-deflated pad.

So at home I blew it up and in 2 days (when I'm not lying on it), it's still about half-inflated. My leak is so slow & subtle that I'll never find it.

From reading this thread and others, it looks like the consensus is Thermorest is still the best when comfort is more important than insulation or weight. But I'll also check out the Big Agnes.

rafe
07-06-2008, 17:38
So at home I blew it up and in 2 days (when I'm not lying on it), it's still about half-inflated. My leak is so slow & subtle that I'll never find it.

Inflate it, and push it down into a tub of water and look for the bubbles. Barring that, apply soapy water with a sponge, and look for the bubbles.

I've been a fan of Thermarest ever since I became aware of these pads about 20 years ago. In that time, I've had one leak, which was easily patched in the field.

However, there's one thing you can do with a CCF pad (or Z-Rest) that I wouldn't do with a Thermarest, and that is to use it as a pad for sitting around on during breaks, while making dinner, etc. In general, I'm pretty careful about what surfaces I'll lay the Thermarest down on.

sbennett
07-10-2008, 01:07
have you tried blowing up the mattress and tossing it in a bath tub full of water? that worked for me when i couldn't find a leak...just watch for the bubbles!

Summit
07-10-2008, 06:58
From reading this thread and others, it looks like the consensus is Thermorest is still the best when comfort is more important than insulation or weight. But I'll also check out the Big Agnes.I see it exactly the opposite. ThermaRest wins the insulation contest while Big Agnes mattresses win the comfort contest hands down, no peers! ;)

Marta
07-10-2008, 07:39
Re: mattress length

I'm an inch taller than you are but I still use a women's regular Therm-A-Rest, when I want to be comfortable. (If I'm wanting to go as light as possible, I just take enough of a Z-Rest to go from my shoulders to my hips.) In normal conditions it's okay for your mat to be somewhat shorter than you are. You can put something (usually your pack) under your head and/or something under your feet to keep them off the ground.

For starting an AT hike, I'd recommend going with a section of cheap CCF pad. If, a month into the hike, you're finding that you're waking up because the ground is too hard, or you're aching in the morning from sleeping on the hard ground, buy a second, inflatable pad.

Philosophically, you can approach the adventure two ways:

1) I want to pamper myself

or

2) I want to expand my limits

There's no RIGHT answer--it's a personal decision. But it will help you if you have a clear idea of YOUR goals as you make the endless decisions about grooming products, kitchen and food choices, bedding, etc.

Marta
07-10-2008, 12:28
To amplify what some others have said...

CCF pads slowly lose their oomph, getting flatter and flatter over time.

Inflatables can last for years. Or not. People who are someone careless with their stuff may have a poorer track record than people who assiduously protect their mattresses from harm.

Another thing about inflatables, though, is that when they puncture, you don't have much. Especially if it's the more-comfortable-lots-of-air kinds, like the Big Agnes. Consider that before you make one your only defense against very cold ground. (BTW, IMO Big Agnes has the best possible customer service and their mattress is incredibly comfortable. OTOH, it's more work to inflate and deflate than some thinner mattresses, and if you puncture it, you don't have much.)

Last piece of advice is to try out whatever you decide on before your long hike. Since you said you do lots of backpacking, it sounds like you've got that covered.

Geo.
07-19-2008, 18:47
There's a new design pad being put out by Thermarest. I've posted info about it on this thread..http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39364
Won't be out until next April apparently, but being a Thermarest fan of many years I'll be keeping an eye out for its arrival!

Cookerhiker
07-19-2008, 20:35
My thermarest is in Seattle undergoing inspection and possible repair by the company so this week while base camping in SNP to work on my section, I dragged out my old closed-cell pad. The difference was palpable; it was wholly inadequate, especially the first night. I was sufficiently tired after the day's work that the second night was OK.

Can't wait 'till I get my thermarest back.

hopefulhiker
07-19-2008, 20:51
I agree with Marta on this, very well said, Personallly I took Both! a cut down ridgerest and a Big Agnes mummy insulated air core.. I am glad I did because the BA went down at the beginning of a long non stop trek thru the Smokies.

4whim
07-19-2008, 21:51
My only complaint when I did a segment for 8 days, was that I left me nice thick thermarest at home to save weight, as well as had a super lite sleeping bag. I am 5'10" female. I brought along a cheap, very light weight blue foam pad, and suffered with my shoulder and hip feeling like ground was beating against me. I will never skimp again on comfort for sleep time! I have just the 3/4 length now, and used my backpack and extras for padding for lower legs which I usually liked eleveated anyways.

Geo.
07-19-2008, 22:55
I brought along a cheap, very light weight blue foam pad, and suffered with my shoulder and hip feeling like ground was beating against me.

If you find yourself in that situation again, try scooping out a small shallow depression in the ground just in the position where your hip lies - can make things surprisingly comfortable. :)

Wags
07-20-2008, 00:05
i carry a full length pad. the weight difference is insignificant to me (4 oz compared to the short model). curious what those of you who use your pack as a leg/foot pad do if it's raining all day and your pack is soaked? mine's in the vestibule

Mags
07-20-2008, 16:17
you who use your pack as a leg/foot pad do if it's raining all day and your pack is soaked? mine's in the vestibule

Just tough it out. That's all I do. Having a small pack, it does dry out quickly.