PDA

View Full Version : BMT in winter

Biancap
06-24-2008, 19:42
So I have a month off school in December and am about 80% certain I'm going to do the BMT (the doubt is there in case I find a different trail that seems more interesting or enjoyable for that time of year). Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

halibut15
06-24-2008, 20:01
You can't go very wrong with the BMT, especially if you're looking at trails mainly in the South. It's got a little bit of everything packed into not much mileage: views, balds, major rivers, waterfalls, etc., etc. ...plus it's not nearly as crowded as the AT.

Then again, the AT won't be that crowded in December anyway.... :banana

hammock engineer
06-24-2008, 20:05
I was on the AT until Jan 20 this year. Definitly some cold nights. Not to mention long nights. Be ready for a lot of dark. Usually dark dark around 5:30pm. Being from FL you might want to carry extra cold weather gear than most. Definitly be ready for nights below 0 and cold rains. Having said all of that I loved hiking the AT in the cold months.

There is some great and not so good advice here on winter camping. I enjoy it. Fun and safe as long as you are prepared.

Basically prepare, practice, and if you feel ready go for it.

MOWGLI
06-24-2008, 20:12
Find a copy of the BMT databook if you can. It's quite helpful. Make sure you have the map for Tennessee. You'll need it.

Enjoy.

generoll
06-24-2008, 20:51
Sgt. Rock hiked the BMT during February. He probably saw as much cold as anyone on the BMT. Send him an email and get his impressions. December tends to be warmer, in my opinion then late January or early February.

Tennessee Viking
06-25-2008, 01:28
Just be sure you are backed up as you go along. There are not a whole lot of resupply points, especially once you enter Cohutta and the rest of the wilderness areas. The BMT Trail Guide from Springer to Ocoee is a good reference guide.

Most of the travel from Springer to Dyer Mountain will cross several country roads and highways. So you can get a pick up real easy. But once you hit the Frogs and Cohutta, you will have to hike out.

Because of last years drought we had a short winter. But usually southern weather throws you a curveball every so often. So I am expecting a big winter this year.

But going in winter, does seem to be wiser since most of the wildlife is starting to sleep for the season. And you will be totally alone.

Ramble~On
06-25-2008, 03:22
Because of last years drought we had a short winter. But usually southern weather throws you a curveball every so often. So I am expecting a big winter this year.

I am hoping for "big" winter too. The folks at NOAA disagree...especially for the SE but the link below offers some hope
http://www.triadweathercenter.com/longranger.html You can't argue with a Woolly Worm! Armstrong says we're gonna have snow so that's it. The persimmon seeds say lots of snow...forget what the experts are saying about La Nina and 2008/09 winter being the warmest on record for the SE...what do they know?

Lots of farmers that trust in the Farmer's Almanac agree. Guess I should buy my season lift tickets now and invest in the four season tent of my dreams.

I'd like a lot of snow to play in this year.

If I had a month off in December I'd likely hike the BMT...go for it.
-Commit to doing it, start planning now and enjoy it.
There's a 100% chance the weather will do what it's gonna do!
Prepare for that and you'll never have to worry about it.

Biancap
06-25-2008, 10:23
Wow... thanks for all the advice.. I'm getting excited and a little nervous. I'm not too worried about being alone (i've done a lot of traveling by myself and it never bothered me). As for the databook, they are out of stock and come back in sometime in fall (hopefully sooner so I can get familiar with it) but i'm trying to track down a used copy or something. If anyone can think of anything else let me know!!

jesse
06-25-2008, 10:53
I hiked most of the first 48 miles of the BMT over Memorial weekend. I found water to be in short supply in some places. It was pretty secluded even on a good weather holiday weekend. We saw 5 other hikers on the BMT. When we reached the AT at Three Forks, It seemed like there were hordes of people. A great trail. I look forward to finishing it some day.

MOWGLI
07-02-2008, 14:14
As for the databook, they are out of stock and come back in sometime in fall (hopefully sooner so I can get familiar with it) but i'm trying to track down a used copy or something. If anyone can think of anything else let me know!!

Send me a PM with your mailing address, and I will mail you my copy.

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 14:33
Wow... thanks for all the advice.. I'm getting excited and a little nervous. I'm not too worried about being alone (i've done a lot of traveling by myself and it never bothered me). As for the databook, they are out of stock and come back in sometime in fall (hopefully sooner so I can get familiar with it) but i'm trying to track down a used copy or something. If anyone can think of anything else let me know!!

An option for information: Sgt Rock has put together a databook that he shared with me. PM him and he will likely post a copy for you. His was similar to the BMTA book, with a little extra and since he thru-hiked it this past Feb. he probably has it dialed in.

Great trail and you'll enjoy it. If you have someone that can re-supply you it would be good. I prepared several food caches that I put in those green metal army surplus ammo boxes and stashed along the trail with supplies.

It was dry at higher elevations last Novemeber in the GA portion. Check here as it gets closer and you can get some good info. The BMTA website may have some info as well.

Big Sky
07-02-2008, 18:13
Oh what fun! I can't wait to go back to school so I can have weeks at a time off to go hiking. It will be really chilly in December as people here have said, but IMO not as bad as January or February. My boyfriend and I frequently do weekend hikes in the Cohuttas/Big Frog and it is so beautiful. Often when we go we do not see one other person. The last 3 times we have been, the only trace we found of other humans was a warm fire ring with about 1000 burnt cans of those little sausages and ramen noodles all over the place. That's why we always take an extra gal sized ziplock each -- to pack out this mess. You will have some solitude through that stretch especially and I find it quite enjoyable.

I have not ever read this particular book (http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Benton-Mackaye-Trail-Tennessees/dp/1561453110/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215036641&sr=8-7), but I have read two of his others and I not only enjoyed them, but was very pleased with the info provided. Maybe it will help you.

Have a wonderful trip should you decide to go!

take-a-knee
07-02-2008, 23:34
Oh what fun! I can't wait to go back to school so I can have weeks at a time off to go hiking. It will be really chilly in December as people here have said, but IMO not as bad as January or February. My boyfriend and I frequently do weekend hikes in the Cohuttas/Big Frog and it is so beautiful. Often when we go we do not see one other person. The last 3 times we have been, the only trace we found of other humans was a warm fire ring with about 1000 burnt cans of those little sausages and ramen noodles all over the place. That's why we always take an extra gal sized ziplock each -- to pack out this mess. You will have some solitude through that stretch especially and I find it quite enjoyable.

I have not ever read this particular book (http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Benton-Mackaye-Trail-Tennessees/dp/1561453110/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215036641&sr=8-7), but I have read two of his others and I not only enjoyed them, but was very pleased with the info provided. Maybe it will help you.

Tim Homan's BMT book you referenced is an excellent resource.

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 06:40

The book is OK. It's not something you'll want to carry, and it only helps with the southernmost third of the trail, so it is of limited usefulness to someone who wants to hike the entire thing.

generoll
07-03-2008, 07:22
I like all of Homans trail guides, but they do tend to be a bit thorough for hiking. There's lots of history, geology, and biology in his books which befits a high school science teacher. I like the books for planning purposes and armchair hiking, but I tend to just take a map when I actually transition from the recliner to boots.

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 07:32
... but I tend to just take a map when I actually transition from the recliner to boots.

For me, the map and the databook is all I need. Of course, the databook didn't exist in '03 when I walked from Springer to the Ocoee River. Maps and hiking with someone who had done that entire stretch helped. I found the databook to be most helpful in TN & NC, where the trail is often dual designated.

generoll
07-03-2008, 07:53
Correct. Should have added the databook to my list of bring alongs.

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 07:58
I'll add that the book isn't like the AT databook. It doesn't have every water source listed. It does have resupply, trail junction and campsite info though.

sbank03
07-09-2008, 16:16
Tim Homan's guide is out of date in several places. When he wrote it, the BMT was incomplete in many places. By now, the trail is complete and has been rerouted in some spots, most notably at Wallalah-Licklog Mtns. The Data Book is very useful on the trail. I prefer a set of maps from various sources, such as FS, Trails Illustrated, etc. Depends on who owns the land. This is one trail where GPS (along with real maps & compass) can be handy for the not-so-obvious parts of the trail.

Egads
07-09-2008, 18:21
I highly recomend taking the BMTA online guide with you for the GA sections.

SGT Rock
07-09-2008, 18:53
My guide was updated in about April, but there is more work to do. I now have a wheel and I am going to go do the measure withBill Ristom at some point. We are trying to cut all possible ties with the BMTA on this one and getting our own mileage data will be a part of that.

For those that are interested in being a field tester or editor I plan to set up a system similar to The Companion for local editors if I can find some.

And for those willing to walk the trail and add notes or let me know what you think, I am going to attach the latest verion of the PDF files here. The BMT Database is the on-line version to look at, the one with print in the title is my lay out for printing and binding.

Biancap
07-10-2008, 14:30
Thank you so much for the databook MOWGLI! Also, Thanks Sgt Rock for posting that and doing so much research on the trail! Now I can start planning my trip and set up a tentative schedule.

Biancap
11-14-2008, 23:13
Hey everyone... So I'm still thinking about doing this trail (and have been preparing and planning for it) but I am also debating doing a section of the AT instead. I was wondering if anyone has hiked any of the sections of the BMT recently and what condition they are in.

Phreak
11-14-2008, 23:25
My guide was updated in about April, but there is more work to do. I now have a wheel and I am going to go do the measure withBill Ristom at some point. We are trying to cut all possible ties with the BMTA on this one and getting our own mileage data will be a part of that.

For those that are interested in being a field tester or editor I plan to set up a system similar to The Companion for local editors if I can find some.

And for those willing to walk the trail and add notes or let me know what you think, I am going to attach the latest verion of the PDF files here. The BMT Database is the on-line version to look at, the one with print in the title is my lay out for printing and binding.
Excellent!

Egads
11-14-2008, 23:42
Love to hike the BMT from Watson Gap (Big Frog) North this winter. PM if anyone wants to hike together

generoll
11-14-2008, 23:47
I've got a week or so in December and will either add another section on the AT or pickup on the BMT at hwy 60 after the Toccoa bridge. What dates/sections are you all looking at?

Biancap
11-15-2008, 11:26
Sgt... thank you so much for the update your guide it's very helpful!! Also, thanks Phreak for posting your maps (they were also very helpful). As far as the exact dates and plans... I'm not sure as of yet but will determine it soon depending on if others decide to join me on the hike.