PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for a retirement hike??

chesnutx4
06-24-2008, 21:37
I will be retiring from the military mid Sept. and I want a 2 week vacation hike before I start a new job. I have hiked the VA Highlands, Shenandoah NP and north GA. I do not want to do either terminus (saving for a thru in the future). Looking for a challenge, but not an a_ _ kicker. Maybe 100 mile wilderness (if the biting flies are gone), just looking to reward myself for 26 years of hard work. I need to take advantage of this because who knows what the future will bring. Let me know my options. I have come to rely on my peers so I am posting this in hopes that I get some informative responses. Thanks for your help......

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 21:46
First of all congratulations on your retirement and thank you.

September is perfect for Maine.

Likewise, Vermont would be great, too.

Pretty much, you can't go wrong in Northern New England that time of year; just plan accordingly and bring some extra clothes.

Lastly, if New England is out, Hot Springs NC (just north of the Smokies) to the Virginia line would be a great couple of weeks that time of year, especially the area just North of Roan Mountain.

Best of luck, let us know how it works out.

yappy
06-24-2008, 21:50
Do you have to be on the East Coast ?.. and yeah, congrats !..:)

4eyedbuzzard
06-24-2008, 21:51
Well, the 100 mile wilderness pretty much is the northern terminus if you throw in climbing Katahdin. But it would also probably be really high on everyones list for the best September section hikes. I don't think it would ruin a future hike if you were to do it again.

chesnutx4
06-24-2008, 21:56
I just want to save Katahdin and Springer for the future. The east coast is not a lock, I love the Pacific Northwest, but if I choose that my wife will kill me because I am not taking the family (kids in school and she loves western WA state).

yappy
06-24-2008, 22:09
Oh, i don't want to mention the Wonderland trail then..:) that is a gorgeous hike but only 90 miles.. BUT could then go do the Timberline trail around Hood. that is a nice one too.. and would take about 2 weeks for both including travel time. i don't want to get in trouble with your wife though... pretend i never said this !

Christus Cowboy
06-24-2008, 22:44
The Benton McKaye trail through the Smoky Mountains is 96.2 miles you could start on the southwestend of the park and end up on the northeast end. I'm planning on doing that as some point in the future... probably when I retire in a couple of years....

fiddlehead
06-25-2008, 00:23
Gila in NM
Western end of CO trail
Glacier NP, MT
JMT, CA
Wind River Range, WY
Sawtooth's, WY
Bitteroot's, MT/ID
LT (possibly an ass kicker though)
GSMNP (or head south from Fontana for a nice 2 weeks although it could be a bit warm down there)
Wilderness in Maine shouldn't have too many bugs in Sept and a good choice if you want to stay on the AT.

If you want some good hikes outside of the US, PM me there's lots of great 2 week hikes out there.

Homer&Marje
06-25-2008, 20:32
You cannot go wrong with Franconia Ridge. If it's a two week hike you can incorporate Mt. Washington and then ascend down and do most of the presidential range. That was the first trip I ever did in the Whites and had a blast, quite challenging anytime of year, New England weather, especially near Franconia Ridge and Washington are notoriously bad and forever changing so go prepared for anything, anytime of year. But I quote someone somewhere that said Franconia Ridge is the best 5 miles of the AT.
Wherever you go Happy trails.

rafe
06-25-2008, 21:00
About Franconia Ridge: Agreed, when the weather's nice, the views are about as good as you'll get anywhere on the AT. That said: it's a crowded bit of trail, and there's really no choice but to follow AMC rules, and stay at AMC facilities. It doesn't have to be the huts -- there are tent platforms and a few shelters.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:48
There are plenty of comfortable, legal, and environmentally acceptable alternatives to AMC facilities near Franconia Ridge.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 22:58
Of the suggestions mentioned I can't speak for New England, but Hot Springs to Damascus is a great hike. Even Erwin to Damascus would be a great 2 week hike, and you could take your time in the Roan Highland which is one of the most gorgeous places I've seen on the trail. Best of luck and congrats on retirement.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 23:04
Just watch it if you go boating in Erwin.

I hear it can cost a fortune. :eek:

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 23:08
Just watch it if you go boating in Erwin.

I hear it can cost a fortune. :eek:

Yes, but I hear the Nolichucky River Campground is a great place to stay, or there is a Holiday Inn Express I also hear is very hiker friendly...Just can't think of anywhere else??

:D

rafe
06-25-2008, 23:09
Yes, but I hear the Nolichucky River Campground is a great place to stay, or there is a Holiday Inn Express I also hear is very hiker friendly...Just can't think of anywhere else??

:D

Used to be a place right on the river called Nolichucky Expeditions or something like that. They had a decent dorm. Way back when...

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 23:10
Yeah. Miss Janet's. But not for a few months......

It'll be a great hostel; the food will be first class; and you won't have to count your gold fillings when you leave.

The Class of '09 is in for a real treat.

Wise Old Owl
06-25-2008, 23:12
Volcanos National Park - Take the better half... True 2 week vacation.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 23:15
Yeah. Miss Janet's. But not for a few months......

It'll be a great hostel; the food will be first class; and you won't have to count your gold fillings when you leave.

The Class of '09 is in for a real treat.

Maybe I am behind on AT gossip but you say Miss Janet's will be back next year?? If so I'll have to make a stop before Damascus.

senache
06-26-2008, 13:47
I'd be thinking about someplace like Hawaii or Scotland - the occasion almost demands something out of the ordinary.

Blissful
06-26-2008, 15:13
Thank you so much for your service.

We were in the 100 mile wilderness in mid Sept. Very nice. Some good easy stretches and a few challenges mixed in for fun (Chairback range)

Pedaling Fool
06-26-2008, 15:38
I will be retiring from the military mid Sept. and I want a 2 week vacation hike before I start a new job. I have hiked the VA Highlands, Shenandoah NP and north GA. I do not want to do either terminus (saving for a thru in the future). Looking for a challenge, but not an a_ _ kicker. Maybe 100 mile wilderness (if the biting flies are gone), just looking to reward myself for 26 years of hard work. I need to take advantage of this because who knows what the future will bring. Let me know my options. I have come to rely on my peers so I am posting this in hopes that I get some informative responses. Thanks for your help......
I retired in 2005 and planned to thru-hike before finding another job. Long story short, still hiking/biking, but not sure when I'm going to start looking for another job, having too much fun. So I recommend ditching the job and having fun, two weeks is just too short a time, so go have some fun - you've earned it.

Homer&Marje
06-26-2008, 15:55
About Franconia Ridge: Agreed, when the weather's nice, the views are about as good as you'll get anywhere on the AT. That said: it's a crowded bit of trail, and there's really no choice but to follow AMC rules, and stay at AMC facilities. It doesn't have to be the huts -- there are tent platforms and a few shelters.

You are correct about the rules on the AT, but Franconia is in the Pemigawassett Wilderness and there are so many trails besides the AT, the Ridge itself needs to be done in 1 shot 1 afternoon to avoid going crazy with all the day hikers and their kids around, and the shelters do get somewhat crowded and noisy, but all the side trails are great too like 13 falls trail, Bondcliff trail, Three ponds Trail, you get the point... my motto is, if your not thru hiking the AT, dont restrict yourself to it, get a USGS map printout sent to you and go out and have fun for two weeks, retirement will be more fun without a plan, and if you were in the military you have had too much structure in your head already, get rid of it for a while.
Happy Trails

rafe
06-26-2008, 16:02
You are correct about the rules on the AT, but Franconia is in the Pemigawassett Wilderness and there are so many trails besides the AT, the Ridge itself needs to be done in 1 shot 1 afternoon to avoid going crazy with all the day hikers and their kids around, and the shelters do get somewhat crowded and noisy, but all the side trails are great too like 13 falls trail, Bondcliff trail, Three ponds Trail, you get the point... my motto is, if your not thru hiking the AT, dont restrict yourself to it, get a USGS map printout sent to you and go out and have fun for two weeks, retirement will be more fun without a plan, and if you were in the military you have had too much structure in your head already, get rid of it for a while.
Happy Trails

I couldn't agree more. The AT is just one trail among many. For better or for worse, the AT does cover most of the major beauty spots, and so it's also the most heavily-traveled of all the White Mountain trails.

(FWIW, I've traversed the Franconia Ridge at least 15-20 times in the last 30 years. Probably more. I've lost count.)

Nearly Normal
06-26-2008, 17:11
Foothills Trail is 76 miles.
Add a few more with the blue blazed spur trails.
Mountains, lots of water, deep woods, no shelters, great rivers.
This NC, SC, GA trail is a great wilderness area.
Little traffic.
Good guide and map available.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-26-2008, 17:34
Torres del Paine in Chilean Patagonia. Sept is Austral spring, the high season is December. Do one that should be on everyone's life list after 26 in the service set your sights higher, you deserve it
http://www.torresdelpaine.com/ingles/secciones/02/a/mapas.asp