PDA

View Full Version : Computer Access During the Thru-Hike...

TRIP08
06-24-2008, 22:54
About how often is there computer (w/ internet) in the towns along the trail? Every other week? Less?

Wise Old Owl
06-24-2008, 22:56
As LW probably would say "You are missing the point"

Sly
06-24-2008, 22:56
About how often is there computer (w/ internet) in the towns along the trail? Every other week? Less?

In nearly every town or hostel or once a week.

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 23:00

I bet LW doesn't filter his email. :p

TRIP08
06-24-2008, 23:04
Yeah, well, I'd rather not be on a computer, either. But, I have to sign up for college classes and take care of tuition during the time I'm on the trail.

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 23:05

Funny.

Maybe if Sallie could tell us how she plans to use the Internet on her hike, we could provide more helpful advice. Is it simply to send an email update to loved ones, journal, send pics, update myspace, what?

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 23:06
Yeah, well, I'd rather not be on a computer, either. But, I have to sign up for college classes and take care of tuition during the time I'm on the trail.

Aha. Glad to hear it is not to get a computer "fix". :)

TRIP08
06-24-2008, 23:06
Funny.

Maybe if Sallie could tell us how she plans to use the Internet on her hike, we could provide more helpful advice. Is it simply to send an email update to loved ones, journal, send pics, update myspace, what?

I wrote why in the e-mail above yours. I wouldn't stop just for myspace.

TRIP08
06-24-2008, 23:08
Aha. Glad to hear it is not to get a computer "fix". :)

Nah, I would love to go without the computer for a few months. Personally, that wouldn't be difficult for me. But, I would like to graduate next year, so I must. : (

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 23:12
Nah, I would love to go without the computer for a few months. Personally, that wouldn't be difficult for me. But, I would like to graduate next year, so I must. : (

Yeah, well can't live with them, can't live without them (these days)

Just signing in for classes and checking a tuition payment doesn't sound too bad though. Or is there more to it than that?

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 23:13
Sallie:

It'll be rare to go more than a week to ten days without easily finding a computer.

Along the Trail, they are most often found in hostels catering to hikers, and also in public libraries of larger Trail towns.

Also, some Trailside motels have computers for guests; there are also some restaurants and coffee-shops that do as well; even some Trail Outfitters might let you use their computer if it's not being used for store stuff.

In short, there's plenty of access; more than you might think.

TRIP08
06-24-2008, 23:14
Yeah, well can't live with them, can't live without them (these days)

Just signing in for classes and checking a tuition payment doesn't sound too bad though. Or is there more to it than that?

Yeah, well it's bad when one of the classes is a seminar and like an auction on ebay. Everyone's trying to jump in and win a spot before the time's up.

buff_jeff
06-25-2008, 10:06
Well, I'm on one right now. You can get one every week I'd say. I try not to use them that often but they're available at most hostels and hotels. Damascus has a public library that was pretty convenient as well.

WalkingStick75
06-25-2008, 10:22
I use to carry pre-stamped post cards so my family could track my progress. In a couple years everyone will carry I-Phones and all the mountian tops will be cleared with a paved road leading to the cell phone tower so coverage will no longer be a problem.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 10:27

once a week or less. don't hog a computer like most hikers do writing their damn journals

Slo-go'en
06-25-2008, 20:47
I carried a Pocket PC (h-p IPAQ 2498b) which has built in Wi-Fi and a SD slot. I had a camara which also used a SD card, so could transfer pictures to the Pocket PC with out cables. It was great to have along. Found free Wi-Fi access at nearly every town stop and many hostels between Springer and Damascuas. Many of the hostels had thier computers connected with Wi-Fi. Did my journal on the Pocket PC every night and when I found wireless internet access, could go directly to trailjournals and up load the data and pictures. No waiting for the public computer to free up. Could also go to the weather channel and see the radar, check my email, ect.

Oh, I also transcribed 1000 miles of the trail data book into a text file and scanned all the town maps as jpgs to view on the IPAQ, so didn't have to carry a trail book. When anyone wanted to give me thier contact info, it went right into the IPAQ.

I had a small solar charger, a small AC charger and spare battery to keep it alive. About 8-10 oz of weight all together. Stored the IPAQ in one of those small plastic waterproof gizzmo bags. I don't use cell phones, so this thing was very handy.

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2008, 20:53
just say no,that nasty computor will be there when you get home.

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2008, 21:16
no disrespect intended, have a gret hike