PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new forum!

IceAge
06-25-2008, 09:09
Welcome to the newest area of WhiteBlaze, the Ice Age Trail forum!

I look forward to a lot of information sharing on this incredible trail. Please post your questions, comments, experiences, trail reports, etc here!

:welcome

Official websites:

http://www.iceagetrail.org - The Ice Age park and Trail Foundation

http://www.nps.gov/iatr - National Park Service site

mkmangold
06-25-2008, 10:49
As Benny would say: "alwight!"

Lyle
06-25-2008, 10:49
I wish you luck. Haven't hiked the Ice Age yet. Maybe some day. Have worked with some of the Ice Age Trail folks on AHS Volunteer Vacations.

Most folks on this site are pretty concentrated on the AT, not a lot of discussion or interest in or about other trails. The big three or those connected to the AT get some attention. Wish more would broaden their horizons, but Whiteblaze serves it's intended purpose quite well for the AT.

As I said, best of luck with stimulating some discussion.

IceAge
06-25-2008, 10:57
Hey mkman, if nothing else at least you and I can discuss the trail here!

Thanks for the good wishes, Lyle. I have not found many IAT-specific fora on the web, so I am hoping that this one will draw in some folks that may not already be affiliated with WB.

I'm just getting started with volunteering for the trail, hadn't heard of the AHS Volunteer Vacations, thanks for the tip!

jlb2012
06-25-2008, 11:28
hummm IAT = Ice Age Trail here in this forum but elsewhere on Whiteblaze IAT = International Appalachian Trail - the trail that goes north from Katahdin to Cape Gaspe

this may be a little confusing

Lyle
06-25-2008, 11:32
hummm IAT = Ice Age Trail here in this forum but elsewhere on Whiteblaze IAT = International Appalachian Trail - the trail that goes north from Katahdin to Cape Gaspe

this may be a little confusing

Good Point.

Maybe use IANST for Ice Age? Not as simple, but less confusing.

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 11:36
Good Point.

Maybe use IANST for Ice Age? Not as simple, but less confusing.

Replacing TLA's with ETLA's always works. :D

TLA= three letter acronym
ETLA= extended three letter acronym

Lyle
06-25-2008, 11:39
replacing Tla's With Etla's Always Works. :d

Tla= Three Letter Acronym
Etla= extended Three Letter Acronym

Yep! :D:D

Shadowmoss
06-25-2008, 13:28
At the risk of sounding even more clueless than usual, where is the Ice Age Trail located, what is it like, more associated info requested.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 13:36
At the risk of sounding even more clueless than usual, where is the Ice Age Trail located, what is it like, more associated info requested.

The Ice Age Trail Runs through WI. Starting at the tip of the Eastern Peninsula and moves south, then north, then head west across the northern part of the state. The trail follows the glacial expansion of the last Ice Age. It is 1100 miles long, 600+ miles off road right now. It is beautiful check out www.iceagetrail.org

IceAge
06-25-2008, 13:43
Thanks BP, I stole your idea and added links in the first post of the thread.

Pretty amazing to think there is a trail slightly over half the length of the AT all right here in WI.

mkmangold
06-25-2008, 13:45
The more I hike the IAT, the more I like it. At each outing I discover new gems. The last was the segment between Holy Hill and Loew's Lake.

"LilRed" on Whiteblaze is also interested in the trail.

Two Speed
06-25-2008, 14:05
From the Ice Age FAQ page (http://www.iceagetrail.org/faqs.htm):

"Not entirely. The Appalachian Trail is about twice as long (about 2200 miles) and runs through 14 states. It seldom intersects a town or community. The Ice Age Trail is totally within Wisconsin. One of the virtues of the Ice Age Trail is its involvement with the diverse communities along its route. It was designed to connect communities, not avoid them. In fact, approximately 57% of Wisconsin residents live within 20 miles of the Trail. The Ice Age Trail was also designed very specifically to preserve and protect Wisconsin’s cultural and glacial heritage."

Sounds like resupply would be relatively easy. True? Any difference between resupply during the summer and winter, due to businesses being closed?

big_muddy
06-25-2008, 14:12

"Not entirely. The Appalachian Trail is about twice as long (about 2200 miles) and runs through 14 states. It seldom intersects a town or community. The Ice Age Trail is totally within Wisconsin. One of the virtues of the Ice Age Trail is its involvement with the diverse communities along its route. It was designed to connect communities, not avoid them. In fact, approximately 57% of Wisconsin residents live within 20 miles of the Trail. The Ice Age Trail was also designed very specifically to preserve and protect Wisconsin’s cultural and glacial heritage."

Sounds like resupply would be relatively easy. True? Any difference between resupply during the summer and winter, due to businesses being closed?

Have fun doing a lot of road walks, a lot of the trail does not exist yet. And walking through swamps.The trail that does exist (outside of Kettle Moraine Unit) goes through a lot of low land

Two Speed
06-25-2008, 14:18
Mm hmm. After looking around on the site I found a list of B&B's on the trail. Could be fun the right time of year. Prolly wanna miss mosquito season.

peanuts
06-25-2008, 19:57
ts, generally speaking businesses do not close in the midwest during this winter months. we are a hardy stock!!

Skidsteer
06-25-2008, 20:07

ts, generally speaking businesses do not close in the midwest during this winter months. we are a hardy stock!!

True. But hiking the IAT in Winter(in Wisconsin:eek:)would require extreme hardiness. Resupply or no.

peanuts
06-25-2008, 21:47
:rolleyes:i've done the sections that were there when i lived in chicago! in winter:rolleyes: as well as the kettle morrain in winter also:p!

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 22:04

We don't close business's in WI due to cold weather. Otherwise everyone would be broke!:D