PDA

View Full Version : 5 days to hike, which section?

IceAge
06-25-2008, 10:09
I've got 5 days around the 4th of July weekend to spend on the trail, (after catching YMSB at Summerfest) and I'm trying to decide what section to knock out.

I'm ruling out the Kettle Moraine areas, they are close enough to home and I have hiked most of them. Maybe the Chequamegon NF area segments? I plan on 10-15 mile days if that helps.

OutdoorsMan
06-25-2008, 13:02
I would hike North from Dmascus to Dickey's Gap (49.2 miles). The Virginia/Grayson Highlands are great.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 13:18
I would hike North from Dmascus to Dickey's Gap (49.2 miles). The Virginia/Grayson Highlands are great.

I think she is talking about the Ice Age Trail in WI.

I would hike the Chequamegon. It is gorgeous. I have never backpacked it but it seems like a great place to do it. Plus you can get away from all the flooding in the south.

mkmangold
06-25-2008, 13:21
I'm interested in the North Country Trail. That sucker runs all the way from New York to North Dakota. A part passes through extreme northern Wisconsin and according to my imprecise calculations, gets as close as 75 miles to the Ice Age Trail (IAT!).

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 13:32
I'm interested in the North Country Trail. That sucker runs all the way from New York to North Dakota. A part passes through extreme northern Wisconsin and according to my imprecise calculations, gets as close as 75 miles to the Ice Age Trail (IAT!).

The NCT does run through northern WI. I don't know much about the trail but I think it goes through Nichole National Forest then runs west and connects with the Superior Hiking Trail in MN.

IceAge
06-25-2008, 13:38
I was indeed talking about the Ice Age, but if I'm ever near Damascus again I will think about your suggestion OutdoorsMan,

Thanks for stopping in, Bearpaw (P.S. I'm a "he") I have moved the Cheq. to the top of my list.

IceAge
06-25-2008, 13:38
Hey Mike, quit polluting this forum with talk of those "other" trails! :D

mkmangold
06-25-2008, 14:04
Hey Mike, quit polluting this forum with talk of those "other" trails! :D

Just thinking what it would be like if ALL of the national scenic trails were connected. For example, we could enter the IAT here in Wisconsin, hike up to the NCT, east to the AT, south to whatever....:-?

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 14:07
Just thinking what it would be like if ALL of the national scenic trails were connected. For example, we could enter the IAT here in Wisconsin, hike up to the NCT, east to the AT, south to whatever....:-?

Aren't they working on that?

big_muddy
06-26-2008, 10:31
I've done the Ice age trail up by Minong, it is far from SE WI, and in my opinion not worth the trip. I would second doing a section of the other trail in the Nicolet portion of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. How far are you willing to drive? There is some good stuff over in Manistee in MI.

IceAge
06-26-2008, 14:20

Actually, if you take the Tuscobia trail north from the IANST through Sawyer County, I think you are less than 40 miles from the NCT, if they are going to connect, that would be the logical place.

I'm sorry that you're so down on the Ice Age trail, big_muddy, I'm not really looking to go all the way to the Nicolet, as I will be driving up the Superior Hiking Trail just a few short weeks later.

IceAge
07-03-2008, 11:25
Hey now, I'm getting in the car right now and driving north. See ya on the trail!

double d
07-03-2008, 22:12
Any suggestions for hiking the Ice Trail that winds its way through Kettle Moraine State Forest, its about 31 miles? Also, do I have to get a hikers pass? And any parking suggestions? Thanks in advance.

IceAge
07-07-2008, 09:23
Hey double d, I just did that hike about a month ago. You do not need a hiker's pass, but if you park your car at a trailhead parking lot, you will need a state park sticker. You can buy one at the parking lot.

No backcountry camping is allowed, you have to stay at the existing shelters, of which there are five. I have found that the best way to reserve the shelters is to call 1-888-947-2757, they seem to actually have a knowledgeable staff.

Any other questions,. I'll be happy to answer them!

double d
08-07-2008, 10:12
Thanks Iceage, I'm thinking of hiking the IAT again in December, maybe from Glenbealah parking lot (is it safe to leave my car there?) and hike for about 4 days. Any suggestions Iceage? Thanks in advance.

IceAge
08-08-2008, 20:10
Your car should be safe in Glenbeulah, but the world is getting crazier every day, so I obviously can't say it will be 100% safe. Another concern in December would be having 2' of snow fall on it while you are hiking.

If you'd like and if you're comfortable with it, you could park your car in my barn and I could shuttle you up to the trailhead. It would take a bit of scheduling, but if you're interested PM me and we'll figure it out. It would be less than 20 minutes up to the north end, and I live maybe 5 minutes from the south end of the N. Kettle Moraine segment. Depending on conditions, 4 days form the north end to the south might be just about right.

IceAge
12-29-2008, 13:10
Well I wasn't too far off in my guess of 2' of snow for Glenbeulah, looks like it got about 22" in December. Not great for hiking!