PDA

View Full Version : Tarp prices

Chance09
06-25-2008, 14:33
This is something i don't understand and was hoping someone could explain this to me? Why on earth are tarps for camping so incredibly expensive? The MSR Hubba Hubba (a whole tent) is listed on their site at $299.99. Both of their 2 person tarps (no poles, bug mesh or anything) the Missing Link and the Twing are $200 and $229.95.

How does this make any sense whatsoever? Is the material in a tarp just that much more expensive?

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 14:42
Because people will pay it.

I agree, it's absurd. I bought a used 8 x 10 Etowah silnylon tarp (Meadows model) with the added piece that lets it zip into a closed semi-pyramid. Paid $75 with six stakes. I can see 200 to 300 for a tent with the additional sewing and material involved. But a tarp?

phenimore
06-25-2008, 14:45
Probably sell a lot less of them so feel a need to charge more. Related is the idea i have that a lot of hikers who tarp just maker their own so people who buy them are willing to pay more

10-K
06-25-2008, 16:23
campmor.com has some silnylon tarps cheap. I got an 8x10 that weighs 13oz for around $65.

I ran into the same problem - Tarp=$$$$ - no idea why.

peter_pan
06-25-2008, 20:51
This is something i don't understand and was hoping someone could explain this to me? Why on earth are tarps for camping so incredibly expensive? The MSR Hubba Hubba (a whole tent) is listed on their site at $299.99. Both of their 2 person tarps (no poles, bug mesh or anything) the Missing Link and the Twing are $200 and $229.95.

How does this make any sense whatsoever? Is the material in a tarp just that much more expensive?

FWIW, All in all there is as much material in a tarp as many tents....And if you add all the seams there are comparable sewing requirements in a tarp as a tent.... Additionally no seeum is way, way, less costly as silnyl.

Pan