PDA

View Full Version : Journey's End Road Condition

Rough
06-25-2008, 17:43
Does anyone know what the road condition is for Journey's End Road in North Troy? Is it passable enough to reach the lower parking lot in an SUV? Thanks.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 18:19
Does anyone know what the road condition is for Journey's End Road in North Troy? Is it passable enough to reach the lower parking lot in an SUV? Thanks.

lower lot, yes.

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 19:22
If you're going to hike SOBO on the LT I would suggest (if possible) you have someone let you off where the LT crosses RT-105 and walk the 2.6 miles north to the border and then head south. It could be a lot easier and you might save a day.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 20:00
If you're going to hike SOBO on the LT I would suggest (if possible) you have someone let you off where the LT crosses RT-105 and walk the 2.6 miles north to the border and then head south. It could be a lot easier and you might save a day.

it's longer than that and there's no reason not to get dropped off a half mile before the beginning of the blue-blazed trail to the border

Cookerhiker
06-25-2008, 20:04

it's longer than that and there's no reason not to get dropped off a half mile before the beginning of the blue-blazed trail to the border

Per the most recent LT Guide, OF is correct on the mileage.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 20:12
Per the most recent LT Guide, OF is correct on the mileage.

from 105 to the border is more than 2.6 miles. don't care what the guide says. i lived on no. jay road for a bunch of winters. but whatever, there's no reason to get dumped off at 105

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 20:20
Lone Wolf-"from 105 to the border is more than 2.6 miles. don't care what the guide says." As usual you're wrong and aren't man enough to admit it.

You're just POed that you're getting trounced in the Kirby thread. Give it up.:D

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 21:06
As usual you're wrong and aren't man enough to admit it.

You're just POed that you're getting trounced in the Kirby thread. Give it up.:D

no kid. i lived there. measured the mileage. the book is wrong. kirby thread? dude, you're a dweeb :)

oruoja
06-25-2008, 21:50
I have done the section being debated about six times and even if the access road to the Journey's End trailhead is too rough for a vehicle, it is just 1.3 miles to hike in from N. Jay Rd jct plus another 1.3 miles to the border marker. From there it is in fact 2.6 miles on the LT to the Jct with Rte 105 and has been since at least 1979. Of course there is nothing wrong starting at Rte 105 hiking to the border and returning SB if you are coming into the area from the west on 105.

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 21:59
Lone Wolf-no kid. i lived there. measured the mileage. the book is wrong. kirby thread? dude, you're a dweeb"According to LW, all these guidebooks and posters are wrong and he is right.

1937 Long Trail Guidebook International boundary to highway 2.5 miles (before it was RT-105)
1977 Long Trail Guidebook post 592 to RT-105 2.6 miles
1990 Long Trail Guidebook post 592 to RT-105 2.6 miles
2007 Long Trail Guidebook post 592 to RT-105 2.6 miles

CookerHiker-"Per the most recent LT Guide, OF is correct on the mileage."

Oruoja-"I have done the section being debated about six times and even if the access road to the Journey's End trailhead is too rough for a vehicle, it is just 1.3 miles to hike in from N. Jay Rd jct plus another 1.3 miles to the border marker. From there it is in fact 2.6 miles on the LT to the Jct with Rte 105 and has been since at least 1979. Of course there is nothing wrong starting at Rte 105 hiking to the border and returning SB if you are coming into the area from the west on 105."
The difference is I checked before I posted the distance. how many people have to prove LW is FOS before he admits I'm right once again.:-?

Cookerhiker
06-25-2008, 22:03
I just checked the 1966 Guidebook: also 2.6 miles.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 22:03
If you're going to hike SOBO on the LT I would suggest (if possible) you have someone let you off where the LT crosses RT-105 and walk the 2.6 miles north to the border and then head south.

i stand corrected. i misread where the trail CROSSES 105.

The Old Fhart
06-25-2008, 22:06
Thank you Lone Wolf. That admission deserves this.:banana:banana

angewrite
06-27-2008, 16:28
I was just up there a few weeks ago, as long as you don't mind branches dragging across the side of your car (it's not that bad) you can go all the way up the road. I did it in my old beater car and didn't have a problem. Let me know if you have questions on how to get there. It's not difficult but it seems people from outside of the area tend to get confused easily.

Quoddy
06-27-2008, 16:49
Just drive as far up the road as you're comfortable doing. At the very worst it shouldn't be much more than a mile and a quarter walk. Last year I ended up walking out beyond that because my wife wouldn't drive her new Outback any further. My saying that there was a Camry almost a half mile further on didn't sway her decision.

Looks like I'll be doing a SOBO this year.

sylvan
06-27-2008, 17:01
Heh. I've driven a Camry up and down that road a few times.

My favorite road of all time is actually the twin lakes road in Baker National Forest in Washington state. I negotiated that road (nothing but ~grapefruit sized rocks and plenty of slide / drain areas) in a corolla. I got passed by some very surprised looking guys in an old ford 4WD truck at one point while negotiating a rather tricky ditch.

gravityman
06-27-2008, 17:16
I memory serves, it was a lot more up from Rt 105 to the border than from Journey's End. But it was only 1 time, so I can't claim repeats, and I never lived on the road.

I remember getting the advice to start at 105 and backtrack, but it never made sense. Plus you won't be able to see the fabulous shelter at Journey's end (whatever it was called, it was new in 2004).

Just don't miss the monument for the CA border there. It's easy to not see. You gotta look down off and a little left from the view point with the sign to find the monument if I remember right

Rough
07-02-2008, 16:12
Thanks all for the updates. My son and I were able to park in the upper area with no problem last Friday. We hiked north on the Long Trail from Hazen's Notch on VT 58 and were able to drive out on Journey's End Road Sunday night. The trail is rugged due to all the rain and mud.

Take VT 100 north to VT 101 north to VT 105 west, then after 1.8 miles on 105 turn north on N. Jay Road for 2 miles to reach the intersection with Journey's End Road.

angewrite
07-02-2008, 23:22
The trail is rugged due to all the rain and mud.

LOL that's just a typical VT dirt road ;)

A-Train
07-02-2008, 23:59
I hiked back SOUTH after finishing the LT to rt 105 for a pickup. Was logistically easier and less wear and tear on the car. It isn't too bad of a hike, since I did with no vision (glasses literally broke at the border!)

NorthCountryWoods
07-03-2008, 16:54
LOL that's just a typical VT dirt road ;)

Right? You guys should see mud season.

I pull subarus out of the mud on almost a daily basis.