PDA

View Full Version : Wide Trail Runners, Or Widening/Fitting Them

Rocketman
06-25-2008, 20:54
I halfway need wide trail runners. Because of a prior bunionette and surgery, my right foot is a tad wider than my left. Many normal width trail runners with synthetic uppers and lowers will never stretch enough to give comfort on that part of the right foot.

New Balance is one of the few brands that make Trail Runners in wide widths.

I have some old stock which are width 2E. Almost all the new stock wide New Balance Trail Runners are 4E (EEEE). One dealer told me that the wide widths from New Balance are exclusively 4E any longer.

The issues seem to be:

1) How to stretch the synthetic upper into a locally wider fit at the wide spots.

2) How to make the wide and extra wide widths fit the normal foot - extra socks, special inserts, .....

3) Hot to make the extra wide widths (4E) fit the wide foot (2E) - extra socks, special inserts, .....

1) Stretching - in theory, with some warm temperatures and some mechanical stretching forces, there should be some formability in the local width of the shoes.... a little stretching of sorts ought to be possible.

I overdid the heating (hot air gun) on my first try and that led me to hope that someone more careful and thoughtful had worked this type of thing out.

2) and 3) Doing something to make too wide trail runners fit the "normal" or only "wide" foot.

There are the classic inserts like "Superfeet" which will take up volume and help locate the heel.

I experimented with a Soft Comfort heat moldable insert from WalMart for about $10. It is orange on top with a black bottom.

The instructions call for:
trimming the insert to fit the shoe,
turning on the oven and preheating it to 225*F,
putting the insert(s) in the oven for two minutes,
removing the inserts and placing them into your shoes (without getting burnt),
With thin socks on your feet, putting them immediately into the shoes and standing still for a minute or so.

The foam in the Soft Comfort heat moldable insert take on a nice imprint of your foot. The sole is still somewhat thick and occupies volume in the (oversized) trail runner.

This foot imprint feels as if it helps lock in the location of the foot in the shoe, and there is less side to side movement.

NOT THE SOLUTION ??

I've only tried this with the old stock New Balance 2E trail runner, and both feet feel just fine, as if the shoes were well fitted. Bike riding, store walking and exercise at the "YMCA" are the limit of activities.

There may well be other ways to make extra wide shoes fit normal or merely wide feet - well, there almost certainly are. The problem isn't brand new.

So, if anyone has any experience in similar fitting situations, please speak up.

It may be that the options for lightweight hiking for people with merely wide feet could be hanpered by the New Balance EEEE or 4E width as the only option to the standard D width.

Jim

Before you put your foot in your mouth, check the width.

Camping Dave
06-25-2008, 21:54
Almost all the new stock wide New Balance Trail Runners are 4E (EEEE). One dealer told me that the wide widths from New Balance are exclusively 4E any longer.

I just checked 9 different trail runners on NB's web site, and 7 are available in 2E. Maybe you could try and online dealer or buy direct from NB.

hurryinghoosier
06-26-2008, 10:19
There is a new balance store here in indianapolis that will order me what ever shoe, size, and width that i desire. The first pair was too wide 4E. Sent them back and got a 2E. Fit fine. They are trail runners.

mudhead
06-26-2008, 12:03
Zappos.

Use the size search to see what you might be able to use. Other brands make 2E.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 12:26
Yes, you can get the NB in 2E. You might also consider going down a half-size. Also, have your foot measured by a good shoe salesman. Time of day matters sometimes.

Locutus
07-02-2008, 10:51
My Vasque Velocity's are 2E. (Though I had to have my local dealer special order them)

Rocketman
07-02-2008, 16:47
Sockliners, the thickest hiking socks you can find, and Ouch Pouches should help you make up the difference.

When I finally figured out what Ouch Pouches were, they appeared a likely step in the solution. I would have never thought of looking at Dancer's Foot Problems as a means of solutions.

Thanks.

I also encountered the "Jelly Tips" as a solution for toe pain that I still sometimes have.

So, thanks again.

Jim