PDA

View Full Version : What Pack?

ATBuddy
06-25-2008, 21:22
Which of these are the best size for thru hiking?

http://www.rei.com/product/757777 70 liters

http://www.rei.com/product/766116 80 liters

http://www.rei.com/product/766117 95 liters

Hoop
06-25-2008, 21:35
It depends on what's best for you, but most would opt for the smallest if they had to choose from what you listed.

rafe
06-25-2008, 21:41
None of the above. This (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.html) one. Or this (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html) one. Or even this (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/G4.html) one. Seriously, a big pack is simply an invitation to stuff it full of lots of stuff you don't need.

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 21:41
They're all big and heavy.

Think more like 60 liters or less and under 4 lbs.

The two favorites of many thru-hikers:

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AetherSeriesMens/Aether60/

ATBuddy
06-25-2008, 21:57
So how many days worth of stuff should I have packed for a through hike? Also if the above ones are big for through hiking then what are ones those sizes meant for?

rafe
06-25-2008, 22:02
So how many days worth of stuff should I have packed for a through hike? Also if the above ones are big for through hiking then what are ones those sizes meant for?

The "typical" AT through hike is a series of 3, 4, or 5-day sections. There are only one or two exceptions; the main one being the 100 mile section between Katahdin and Monson, ME. Possibly the Smokies, if you go from end to end without stopping.

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 22:12
If you go to the homepage here on Whiteblaze, on the left you'll see a block of links that says "Articles". There's a lot of good advice as to gear, food, resupply, clothing, etc. It's a great place to start figuring out what gear most thru-hikers have found works, what they sent back or ditched, etc.

The best recommendation is to read those and other articles and decide on the gear you actually need - not what you necessarily want(stuff that is nice but for which you lug around a lot of extra weight), and then find a pack to fit it all along with room for 3 to 5 days food.

Some people do thru-hike with larger heavier packs. If you're young and strong it may not be as big an issue as it is for many. But most find there's a big difference between carrying under 30 lbs vs 40 lbs. up all those hills. When it comes to selecting gear, ounces add up to pounds very quickly, and there seems to be a higher success rate of completing a hike when people learn to keep their pack weight down.

notorius tic
06-25-2008, 22:12
Ill go with terapin on # 2 I hiked with a Kellty 5500 an had a lot of stress on my back but Damn if I didnt lug that beast the hole way.. PS I could caryy a 12 pack in an out NO problem..<: Plus the down side was the mesh water whatever pokets on the side suck.. I got more dental floss holding them together than I have put in my mouth in a Life Time..

Blissful
06-25-2008, 22:14
Hi AT Buddy, Welcome to White Blaze.

If you do a search, esp in the gear forum, you'll get lots of info on packs other hikers have used and the cubic inches that have worked best.

notorius tic
06-25-2008, 22:17
Good reply Blissful an Sry (WELCOME) good info here on WB

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 23:40
It's true that most folks opt for smaller packs, but many are not that much smaller. And the Osprey Aether 70 is one of the most popular packs out there, for good reason.

Get the pack....and the size pack....that you're comfortable with and don't worry overmuch about what other people think. Ask 10 different people something like "What's the best backpack?" and you'll likely get 10 different answers.

Get the one that feels right for YOU.

ATBuddy
06-25-2008, 23:47
Thanks for all the help. Should I buy the other gear before I buy the pack?

take-a-knee
06-25-2008, 23:47
They all suck, my next pack will be a ULA Catalyst. Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap carries them.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 23:53
Sometimes, it helps to buy your other stuff before you purchase your pack. Then, when you're trying packs on in the outfitters (and you should try a bunch), you can actually pack your own stuff into each one to see how your stuff will pack, fit, and carry, as opposed to putting in sandbags, weights, or other stuff that the store might have for this purpose. You won't really know how a pack will carry on the Trail until you fill it up with the stuff that you're actually gonna be carrying and using on your trip, so sometimes it makes sense to get this other stuff first. This is also important if you plan to carry some stuff (tent, air mattress, whatever), OUTSIDE your pack. On some packs, stuff rides easily and well on the outside of a pack. In other cases, it just doesn't work. But if you bring your own stuff to the outfitters when you're pack shopping, you'll be able to try your stuff out on several different pack models, so you might end up with a better idea of which backpack is right for you.

ATBuddy
06-26-2008, 00:03
Thank you

rafe
06-26-2008, 00:18
Hello Jack. Here's an honest question for you. If one buys a pack and decides, after one or two short hikes, that it's not the right pack for them, what's the next step? Let's assume the pack is in like-new condition. Let's assume it was bought from an outfitter, and not a big outfit like Campmor or REI.

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 00:34
Good question.

Unfortunately, most small, independent outfitters simply can't afford to offer a 100% no questions, "forever" return policy like REI or L.L. Bean. So they really can't take back used gear like this.....they can't afford to simply refund the money, and 99.9% of these places don't deal in used stuff, so there's nothing they could do with a used pack, no matter how "gently" used. They'd be stuck with it and would lose money.

So there's no obligation for the outfitter to take the pack back, tho I guess some might. Other options would be for the outfitter to try and hook the guy up with the actual manufacturer, who might, repeat might offer a refund or credit for other merchandise. You see, some manufacturers don't mind having gently used stuff; they often offer this stuff to customers as "loaners" while the customers are having their "real" packs repaired. So that's a possible option.

Another option is to sell the pack on-line, like E-Bay.

But you asked a simple question: The store is certainly under no obligation to take the pack back, return the purchase price, or offer a credit. If the customer is unhappy, or if there's anything actually wrong with the pack, the proper step is for the customer to go to the manufacturer, and go thru their Customer Service/Warranty and Repair department. As a general rule, one can't return such things as shoes or boots if they've been worn outside the store and show any signs of use. Same holds true with any other gear, including packs, and unless the pack was absolutely pristine, i.e. visibly unused, I doubt that many stores would take it back, nor should they be expected to. Once something is "used", it usually can't go back unless it's provably defective. A guy who uses stuff and then returns it because he doesn't like it, well that probably isn't good enough. It's sort of expected that the customer makes this decision BEFORE using the stuff in the field. Once it's worn, dirty, stunk out, etc., I can't really see why the store is obligated to take it back, unless, of course, there's some sort of manufacturing defect, problem, or other malfunction.

But every store is different so nothing is written in stone.

Hope this answers your question. There are other folks out there (Redneck, etc. )who have extensive outdoor retail experience, and I hope other people address your question, cuz it's a good one.

rafe
06-26-2008, 00:54
Appreciate your comments. Here's the full story: the pack was a GG Vapor Trail, the store in question is the one you're currently working at. They offered me something like $70 for a return (purchase price $150 or so.) I figured at that price I'd just hold on to it and use it for weekend and day hikes. (One can never have too many packs.) The next pack was purchased via the Internet, and it turned out to be the ticket.

PPS: I dropped a bundle at your store when I passed through HF last August. Nice little place. The downstairs section was a cool little cave at the end of a long hot day (I'd walked in from Dahlgren.)

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 01:04
Just for the record: It's not "my" store. The shop is owned by friends of mine, and has been open for around 12 years. I'm only helping them out for a few days, as late June is about their busiest time of the year. Plus, I get to see folks I first ran into in Georgia and North Carolina, so it's kind of fun.

P.S. I think it was nice they offered you seventy bucks, tho I haven't the faintest idea what they'd have done with the pack afterwards, as they don't deal in used gear. Sounds to me like they were trying to help you out, tho in retrospect, your holding on to it was probably the best choice.

Mags
06-26-2008, 09:02
Ill go with terapin on # 2 I hiked with a Kellty 5500 an had a lot of stress on my back but Damn if I didnt lug that beast the hole way..

When I did the AT, I used a 5500 CI pack.

Because of carrying that pack, I switched to lightweight gear...

Never again will I hump 50 lbs on my pack for a thru-hike! (Ski Hut trip? Well wine and good food does come at a weight penalty.. ;)

pyroman53
06-26-2008, 11:01
I haven't done a long hike so I won't speak to what's good for a thru. I do know something about buying a pack...from my experience...

If you think you want to go with a lighter pack, (and I would recommend one less than 4 pounds), they are often (not always) smaller than the bombproof cavernous heavier packs. So, (and this is my point), if you plan to go light on the pack, and you plan to buy your other gear before you buy the pack, then look to gear that is light & COMPACT. For instance, I have a synthetic bag that doesn't weigh too much, but it doesn't fit all that great in my light pack. My down bag works just fine. Maybe buy a down jacket (cause it compacts better) rather than a synthetic one or a fleece. Just, when in doubt, keep it compact.

I find I can reduce weight pretty well in my gear, but I've found reducing volume fairly important as well. I often marvel at how some thru hikers can carry such small packs. I would really have to rework my gear to get there. For me, its tough to get my 5 days gear (30 pounds w/ food and water) into anything less than 3600 cu. in.

take-a-knee
06-26-2008, 11:17
I haven't done a long hike so I won't speak to what's good for a thru. I do know something about buying a pack...from my experience...

If you think you want to go with a lighter pack, (and I would recommend one less than 4 pounds), they are often (not always) smaller than the bombproof cavernous heavier packs. So, (and this is my point), if you plan to go light on the pack, and you plan to buy your other gear before you buy the pack, then look to gear that is light & COMPACT. For instance, I have a synthetic bag that doesn't weigh too much, but it doesn't fit all that great in my light pack. My down bag works just fine. Maybe buy a down jacket (cause it compacts better) rather than a synthetic one or a fleece. Just, when in doubt, keep it compact.

I find I can reduce weight pretty well in my gear, but I've found reducing volume fairly important as well. I often marvel at how some thru hikers can carry such small packs. I would really have to rework my gear to get there. For me, its tough to get my 5 days gear (30 pounds w/ food and water) into anything less than 3600 cu. in.

I agree, that is the size of a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and that is about the smallest pack I believe would work for a thru hiker, especially with an early start. The ULA Catalyst would likely be a better choice IMO.

ZEKE #2
06-26-2008, 14:59
I carried my heavy gear for the first four days to get to the point where I could emotionally part with it. Then at Neels Gap I went ultra-light. If you don't have a lot of experience, you just won't know until you spend some time, in the conditions, that you intend to use your equipment.

I researched my equipment as best I could and swapped much of it out after the first 4 days of my thru-hike attempt.

Odd Thomas
06-26-2008, 16:45

Way too heavy

bigcranky
06-27-2008, 13:44
Thanks for all the help. Should I buy the other gear before I buy the pack?

Yes, that's generally a good idea. However, it sounds like you don't have a lot of gear right now, or a lot of experience. Just be prepared to refine your system, and replace gear, as you gain that experience.

At the beginning, it's not a bad idea to try to keep your gear weight down as you make your purchases. Some aim points: keep the pack under 4 pounds, your tent under 3 pounds (assuming a solo tent), and your sleeping bag under 3 pounds. There are plenty of high-quality choices in that range that should last many years, and/or a thru-hike attempt.

ATBuddy
07-07-2008, 21:44
I ended up going with none of those packs because the gregorys didn't fit me well. I then found out about the Osprey Aether 85. Amazingly its 85 liters and around 5200 cubic inches and still in the 4 POUND range!:)

envirodiver
07-07-2008, 22:50
You'll be surprised how much room that you don't need, with a large pack. The Aether 70 should be plenty of room.

However, if you are going to carry heavy gear, then get a pack with a serious suspension system (read heavier pack) because it will support that weight better and be more comfortable.

4eyedbuzzard
07-07-2008, 23:05
Well, it's probably closer to or slightly over 5 lbs with a liner depending on size, but if what you got your heart set on is a big (85 liter) pack that can comfortably support a 50 lb+ load, it's a nice one. Just my personal opinion, but I gotta say I think you're nuts for wanting to carry so much gear that you need a 85 liter pack, especially on a thru-hike, but that's your choice.

drastic_quench
07-07-2008, 23:46
I ended up going with none of those packs because the gregorys didn't fit me well. I then found out about the Osprey Aether 85. Amazingly its 85 liters and around 5200 cubic inches and still in the 4 POUND range!:)
What are you planning on carrying that you need all that room for? If you like Osprey packs, check out the Atmos 65.

taildragger
07-08-2008, 01:00
I bought a large pack initially (90L) which worked for the stuff I had at the time. After a few trips with that gear, I decided that I could do better.

As of now, I can fit my 3 season gear with a bear vault BV500 inside of a 50L pack (Its stuffed to the gills, but it fits)

Long story short, buy your gear first then the pack. If you have really bulky gear, then yeah, you'll need a bigger pack, otherwise, get one of the smaller packs and learn how to deal with lighter loads.

That also being said, if you do plan to do extended winter trips and can only have one bag, then make sure that it has a good compression system. I'm selling my bag because I cannot get it to ride very well with my current equipment, that and a pack that is twice as large as I need....well that just doesn't seem right.

ATBuddy
07-08-2008, 09:53
What are you planning on carrying that you need all that room for? If you like Osprey packs, check out the Atmos 65.

I don't even know if im going to use this pack on a thru-hike. I now just bought it for backpacking. And I will be carrying dog supplies sometimes also. That's one reason I got a bigger pack.

ATBuddy
07-08-2008, 09:54
I don't even know if im going to use this pack on a thru-hike. I now just bought it for backpacking. And I will be carrying dog supplies sometimes also. That's one reason I got a bigger pack.

I also carry stuff for freinds sometimes because they don't have all the gear.

tucker0104
07-16-2008, 15:06
Osprey Atmos 50

JAK
07-27-2008, 10:35
The only hiking gear purchase I regret was a pack.
There is NO good reason for a pack to ever weigh over 3 pounds when empty.

They only make those 5 pound packs because people like me are willing to pay
more for them then they would for something lighter before they know better.

Don't do it.

A good pack should only weigh about 5% of what you want to carry in it.
Carry 50 pounds if you really want to, but not in a 5 or 6 pound backpack.

Yeah they last forever, in your closet.

JAK
07-27-2008, 10:39
Nothing wrong with a big pack though, as long as it ain't heavy.

SteveJ
07-27-2008, 10:40
I resemble this post! The Gregory Whitney I have hanging in my closet will last forever! At 7 lbs, I haven't carried it in 6 years.... It's a great pack for a 65 lb load, tho!

The only hiking gear purchase I regret was a pack.
There is NO good reason for a pack to ever weigh over 3 pounds when empty.

They only make those 5 pound packs because people like me are willing to pay
more for them then they would for something lighter before they know better.

Don't do it.

A good pack should only weigh about 5% of what you want to carry in it.
Carry 50 pounds if you really want to, but not in a 5 or 6 pound backpack.

Yeah they last forever, in your closet.

taildragger
07-27-2008, 10:54
Nothing wrong with a big pack though, as long as it ain't heavy.

I resemble this post! The Gregory Whitney I have hanging in my closet will last forever! At 7 lbs, I haven't carried it in 6 years.... It's a great pack for a 65 lb load, tho!

They're good packs, they just usually have a time and a place to be used, and thats not on most 4 season hiking trips.

I imagine a winter full out mountaineering assault could require enough gear to make it a better choice. But for hiking, its about 4lbs on the side of overkill

double j
07-27-2008, 13:09
i have the new gregory z55 .and it rides like a cadilac .

tucker0104
07-27-2008, 18:18
Is there a place on the AT 5 or 7 days in that you can buy new stuff if you aren't liking the old stuff?

double j
07-27-2008, 20:14
just a good shake down run..to see what works
Is there a place on the AT 5 or 7 days in that you can buy new stuff if you aren't liking the old stuff?

SteveJ
07-27-2008, 20:21

yep - Mountain Crossings at Walasi-Yi. Trail goes right "through" the building:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17782&catid=member&imageuser=6309

http://www.mountaincrossings.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY

trailfoot
07-27-2008, 22:38
I hiked this year and I'll give a little info about myself to help out.
Started Springer with 29 lbs with a Gregory vapor trail
Harpers Ferry the vapor was wearing thin and I started to look at the packs that people were wearing around me and started noticing a common denominator and that was the Osprey Atmos. I purchased the Atmos65 and have to say it was the best pack. Wish I had that from the start. Takes a little to get use to the curved back panel for packing. Suggestion ... two food bags.

Go with the smallest pack and you will stay lighter.

Analogman
08-05-2008, 13:39
None of the above. This (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.html) one. Or this (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html) one. Or even this (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/G4.html) one. Seriously, a big pack is simply an invitation to stuff it full of lots of stuff you don't need.

I've been thinking about getting a new pack. I'm comfortable with 40 lbs of gear, but REALLY don't want to carry any more. Have you used a Granite Gear? If so, what are your thoughts?

Analogman
08-05-2008, 13:41
Forgot to mention I am replacing a Gregory Triconi 60 that has seen better days.

taildragger
08-05-2008, 13:57
I've been thinking about getting a new pack. I'm comfortable with 40 lbs of gear, but REALLY don't want to carry any more. Have you used a Granite Gear? If so, what are your thoughts?

ULA catalyst.

I've had about 30lbs in the circuit and I forgot that I had a pack on most of the time. The catalyst usually gets rave reviews, and the material is a little more puncture resistant than the GG bags.

That being said, I don't think that I've ever heard people badmouth GG packs.

Feral Bill
08-05-2008, 21:33

I have an older model Granite Gear Cornice. It is very comfortable and sturdy. It would be my current choice for a long hike with careful packing.

Skidsteer
08-05-2008, 22:51
i have the new gregory z55 .and it rides like a cadilac .

What kind of mileage does it get? :D

Nearly Normal
08-06-2008, 01:22

Do you expect someone to tell you what to pack in it too?

HikerRanky
08-06-2008, 06:04
Good morning AT Buddy, and welcome to WhiteBlaze :welcome:welcome

Some very good advice in this thread, and as many people have stated, you should go over to the Articles section and read the prep guides and such.

I use a GoLite Pinnacle pack myself.... it's 4400 cubic inches in size, and holds up to 30 lbs of gear....

Again, welcome aboard!

Randy

Sailor (The other one)
08-06-2008, 08:23

Huh? Why not? That's one of the things this site is about. When I first got here I thought I knew a lot about backpacking, but my knowledge was about as old as I am and I got a great deal of help here learning what to put in my pack that has lightened it considerably.

The OP is 19 and just joined WB in June. If he is as new to thru-hiking as he is to this site then I hope lots of more experienced people here step up and tell him exactly what to put in it.

mudhead
08-06-2008, 12:37
Agreed. LW will set him straight.

ATBuddy
08-06-2008, 19:30
Huh? Why not? That's one of the things this site is about. When I first got here I thought I knew a lot about backpacking, but my knowledge was about as old as I am and I got a great deal of help here learning what to put in my pack that has lightened it considerably.

The OP is 19 and just joined WB in June. If he is as new to thru-hiking as he is to this site then I hope lots of more experienced people here step up and tell him exactly what to put in it.

yeah! what they said.:)

ATBuddy
08-06-2008, 19:34

yeah! what they said.:)

^Regarding Nearly Normal

Nearly Normal
08-07-2008, 11:48

If you don't know what your packing you can't buy the correct pack.
Go to the home page on this site, scroll down to the articles and look at packing list. That's a start.
Cut the list to what suits you.
Also try
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

Lone Wolf speaks for himself and the rest of you should also.

Nearly Normal
08-07-2008, 12:00

You going to tell him exactly how to hike his own hike too.

Nearly Normal
08-07-2008, 12:04

I think we should leave out the middle man. You set me straight.

Obiwan
08-07-2008, 12:40
Merely an observation

In this thread it appears that you are a nut if you use a pack that weighs an extra pound

But in another thread there is a line of people saying that an extra pound is worthwhile if it gives you a roomier tent

So the flexibility provided by more room in a tent is valuable.....but the flexibility of more space (and load carrying ability/comfort) is bad in a pack

Who woulda thunk it :-)

mudhead
08-07-2008, 17:19
I think we should leave out the middle man. You set me straight.

LW will set the OP straight. He gives pragmatic advice.

But I will set You straight. Lighten up. I figured you were posting loaded, and were snotty to the new kid on the block. Sorry if I misread your nastiness, but it did seem very curt.

Wilson
08-07-2008, 17:48
Merely an observation

In this thread it appears that you are a nut if you use a pack that weighs an extra pound

But in another thread there is a line of people saying that an extra pound is worthwhile if it gives you a roomier tent

So the flexibility provided by more room in a tent is valuable.....but the flexibility of more space (and load carrying ability/comfort) is bad in a pack

Who woulda thunk it :-)

Thats a good point.
A great suspension system in a pack is worth every ounce.

Sailor (The other one)
08-07-2008, 20:14
You going to tell him exactly how to hike his own hike too.
Sure, if he asks.
I've asked, been told, learned a lot.
And thanks to the friendly, helpful people on this and other sites, I've read a lot about how they hike their own hike, and learned from them more I could use to hike my own hike.
Absolutely I will, if he asks, and I'll know he'll do with it as he pleases and I will have lost nothing. :D

Nearly Normal
08-08-2008, 00:59
LW will set the OP straight. He gives pragmatic advice.

But I will set You straight. Lighten up. I figured you were posting loaded, and were snotty to the new kid on the block. Sorry if I misread your nastiness, but it did seem very curt.

You figured wrong all around.
For anyone to answer such a general question, more information is required.
You want better answers, ask better questions.

HikerRanky
08-08-2008, 01:48

Nearly Normal,

You had an opportunity to ask those questions of the OP, yet you chose to make a statement in the form of a question,

I would highly recommend that you take this opportunity to ask your questions that would give you the necessary information to make an educated and informed decision as to what your pack recommendation would be, some of your favorite items to put in your pack, and why.

Thank you,

Randy

Nearly Normal
08-08-2008, 05:40
Nearly Normal,

You had an opportunity to ask those questions of the OP, yet you chose to make a statement in the form of a question,

I would highly recommend that you take this opportunity to ask your questions that would give you the necessary information to make an educated and informed decision as to what your pack recommendation would be, some of your favorite items to put in your pack, and why.

Thank you,

Randy

I will not presume to tell anyone what gear choices to spend their money on. I will recommend you research each componet for function, durability and weight.
Too many play the "my gear is better than your gear game", and tell others how to and how far to hike. I could care less if someone chooses flip flops, a purple barney tent and hikes 2 or 22 miles a day. It's all about getting out there and doing it your way. Hike your own hike.:)
Backpacking gear, clothes, footwear and groceries are personal choices.
Most hikers, myself included, start out with gear they think they want only to change it as they gain experience, and as needed or desired.
My gear list as a 51 year old will probably not mirror someone 19.
As you collect gear take short shakedown trips to fine tune it to your needs and give you confidence in it.
One recommendation would be a camera. Photos will augment your memories. Take pictures of your fellow hikers, they are some of the best people around.
Put one foot in front of another and repeat.
Have big fun.:sun

mudhead
08-08-2008, 06:05

My apologies all around.

I still agree with the well written post above my "I agree."

I also agree that one will learn and modify gear choices.

Nearly Normal
08-08-2008, 06:51
I can be a bit gruff myself sometimes.
Other times just plain diarrea of the mouth.

mudhead
08-08-2008, 07:49
And then you go and...

Nearly Normal
08-08-2008, 13:06

GeoHiker
09-02-2008, 09:56
I am planning on using an Osprey Atmos 50. It is 3000 c.in. I take it on a round trip to the bottom of the grand canyon, carried 7 liters of water plus gear, so i know it holds weight well, but not sure if it is large enough to take me 2000+ miles. any thoughts are welcome.

dessertrat
09-02-2008, 10:14
My advice would be to buy a smaller pack and take more compressible gear. For example, a down sleeping bag and a down coat for camp rather than a bulky fleece and a synthetic sleeping bag. Use one small cooking pot, and strap your tent and sleeping pad outside the bag.

Remember this also: how you pack it makes a bigger difference than most people think. I would rather carry forty pounds right next to my back than twentyfive pounds a foot behind my back, if you get my meaning. Try to keep the heavy items close to your back. For example, ten pounds that is right next to your back will not stress you that much, but ten pounds that is a foot behind your back will mess up your center of gravity and exert real torque on your spine, due to its leverage.

This means that getting a smaller pack with a flatter profile can be an advantage in more ways than one.

Blissful
09-02-2008, 10:47
I am planning on using an Osprey Atmos 50. It is 3000 c.in. I take it on a round trip to the bottom of the grand canyon, carried 7 liters of water plus gear, so i know it holds weight well, but not sure if it is large enough to take me 2000+ miles. any thoughts are welcome.

That's an adequate good size for a thru and you're used to it which is the best thing. You will need gear that compresses though, like a down bag. Not sure on your shelter either, what you plan to carry. But Osprey is used a lot on the trail.

GeoHiker
09-02-2008, 11:01
I do have a down bag and am planning on getting a down jacket for the first part of the trek. Now i have a kelty gunnison 2 tent, (a buddy and I are splitting the weight). I was considering a hammock (I sleep in one on all my weekend trips) but know know if can do that for 5 months. I know i should start another thread on this topic, but any suggestions on shelter?

GeoHiker
09-02-2008, 11:02
thats suposed to read but dont know if i can do that for 5 months...sorry

dessertrat
09-02-2008, 11:19
I do have a down bag and am planning on getting a down jacket for the first part of the trek. Now i have a kelty gunnison 2 tent, (a buddy and I are splitting the weight). I was considering a hammock (I sleep in one on all my weekend trips) but know know if can do that for 5 months. I know i should start another thread on this topic, but any suggestions on shelter?

Seems as though splitting tent weight would not be the best way to do a thru. It sucks to share a tent for that long a time, and what if one of you needs to get off the trail, or just want your space?

max patch
09-02-2008, 11:38
Seems as though splitting tent weight would not be the best way to do a thru. It sucks to share a tent for that long a time, and what if one of you needs to get off the trail, or just want your space?

Good point. The ONLY person I would share any gear with at all would be my spouse. The odds of finding ANYONE that would hike at your same pace, same miles per day, same outlook on zero days in town, etc, etc, etc, are slim. Even if its your best friend that youv'e known your entire life. Plan on hiking together but each of you carry your own gear the each of you are self supporting.

GeoHiker
09-02-2008, 11:38
Good call, thanks for the advise

smaaax
09-03-2008, 15:34

I would carry completely separate gear. I know some hikers that started together and broke up early, and I know some other hikers that hiked at different speeds and were constantly waiting on each other to cook meals and filter water. I travelled with the same people for 1500 miles and we all had our own set of gear. Worked out great, and you have much more flexibility.