PDA

View Full Version : Multi Use Alcohol Stove??!?!? :-)

SunnyWalker
06-25-2008, 23:37
I just thought of a multi use for any alcohol stove. I have read comments about how one can dab some alcohol on a rag or something and rub your body in lieu of a shower or bath while on the trail. IF one was using an alcohol stove, you could do this as well as have a good stove. I guess I am dumb (no comments on that) I never put that together. Is there anyone doing this? Intentionally? Work ok? Thanks. :banana

Captain
06-25-2008, 23:40
im lost if you could do WHAT and as well have a good stove? would not recommend trying to pull alcohol from a lit stove to bathe with or rather try....that one time.. but dont send me the ER bill

Bob S
06-25-2008, 23:44
Use baby wipes to wash up; a travel pack of them doesn’t weigh much and is re-sealable. Stove fuel should be for cooking.

dmax
06-25-2008, 23:54
When denatured alcohol gets spilled on "my" hands, it seems to dry them out very bad. If you try this, I would try a few select areas on your body to try first.
If your down south and using moonshine for your stove, a splash or two and you'll smell like a couple of the locals in them there hills.

Wise Old Owl
06-26-2008, 00:07
Are you thinking about drying blisters? - I don't want the ER bill either.

4eyedbuzzard
06-26-2008, 00:26
Most alcohol burned in camping stoves is either methyl alcohol/methanol(yellow HEET gas line antifreeze) which is poisonous and not good for your skin either(it's a defatting agent), or Denatured alcohol, which is ethanol/ethyl alcohol(grain alcohol like you drink) with a poison added so that you can't consume it. Usually this added poison smells and tastes bad as well to discourage people from drinking it(it will make you violently ill and/or kill you).

Alcohol for use in washing one's body is usually called rubbing alcohol, which is usually 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. It will burn, but is sooty.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 00:32
Methanol is absorbed through the skin and it is poisonous and even if you don't die you can easily go blind. This is not an old moonshiner's tale. Do NOT use it on your body. Sounds like a good idea but it's not. Use only rubbing or drinking alcohol on your body.

http://www.google.com/search?q=methanol%20poison%20absorbed%20through%20 skin&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Homer&Marje
06-26-2008, 07:14
Just dont clean yourself. Problem solved.:eek:

kayak karl
06-26-2008, 07:28
I just thought of a multi use for any alcohol stove.
if you want multi use, burn Everclear. :D

4eyedbuzzard
06-26-2008, 08:04
if you want multi use, burn Everclear. :D

:eek: Blaspheme!

outsidethebox
06-26-2008, 08:53
Sunny, I'm guessing you read something about hygene concerning alcohol gel. It is a sanitizer and recommended by lots of folks. It does not burn well as stove fuel. It smells like perfume and leaves a white gummy residue. Does well as a fire starter. If your stove can burn rubbing alcohol and your skin can tolerate it, maybe that is what you are looking for. Cat can stoves are usually able to burn a variety of alcohol fuels. Of course the best burning ones are poisonous.

SunnyWalker
06-27-2008, 23:38
I think I read of this using alcohol that would not injure your. Isopropol? Of course now I realize that this particular type of alcohol is not what you folks are using in your "alcohol stoves" (obviously I do not use one). So, anyway, thanks for the comments. It was good for a laugh reading the replies.