PDA

View Full Version : Best AA Batteries

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 09:56
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5398/aa-battery-test-test-results-page2.html

Great comparison of AA batteries with a tabular summary. The Energizer e2 Lithium came out on top for disposables, which hikers frequently use, and the Kodak Value Charger for rechargeables. The only problem with the tests is that batteries are frequently on sale, but it would still give an idea of longevity.

The lithium batteries aren't suited for certain headlamps, however, and the Duracell Coppertop came in 2nd to the lithium.

fiddlehead
06-26-2008, 11:28
Good to know, thanks App Tater. I bookmarked it for future reference.

I would like to say on here that Einloop (rechargeable) batteries (which i once praised on here) are not worth the big bucks they cost. I thought they were because the 1st time i used them and after the next 2 times i charged them, they were great. They held a charge a long time and seemed to go forever taking pics with my camera.
But, now that i've charged them 7 or 8 times, they are worse than the cheap rechargables. I wonder if anyone else here has tried the Einloop AAs?

wacbzz
06-26-2008, 11:30
If you are looking for rechargables, the best battery hands down IMHO is the Sony Eneloop. I'm not sure why PP didn't include them in their test...:-?

Fiddlehead: I've never encountered the problem that you have written about with these batteries. I have had the same six sets of Eneloops for just over a year. I have recharged them many times and used them in cameras, headlamps, flashlights, and an mp3 player. You may (and probably did) have just got a bad set of batteries. I cannot imagine how much money I have saved by not having to buy batteries again and again.

fiddlehead
06-26-2008, 11:34
You are correct in the spelling (i just looked at mine)
Mine are Sanyo and not Sony.

How many times have you recharged your's (Wacbzz) and are they still as good as when they were new? (i was thoroughly impressed at first but now feel like i wasted my money with my Eneloops.)

wacbzz
06-26-2008, 11:40
You are correct in the spelling (i just looked at mine)
Mine are Sanyo and not Sony.

How many times have you recharged your's (Wacbzz) and are they still as good as when they were new? (i was thoroughly impressed at first but now feel like i wasted my money with my Eneloops.)

Yeah, they are Sanyo. My bad. I have recharged them many many times. Honestly I can say that I have recharged them each at least 10-12 times. I use my flashlights all the time and my wife uses them in her C***n P&S constantly. We have more pictures of our dogs than I even care to think about! As to your question, yes, they perform just as good now as when I first got them. The rate of discharge on them is simply awesome.

You really should give them another try. Except this time, have somebody get them for you as say...a birthday present.:) Then no real cost to you at all!

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 11:44
Hey, if you have rechargables that aren't performing as advertised, return them. That's just not right.

fiddlehead
06-26-2008, 11:59
Yeah right! Ever shop in Thailand? Return them?
First of all, my Thai is pretty bad, but the girl who sold them to me's English is worse.

Second, Thai women are more into what they look like than talking and you would be lucky to get them away from their compact mirror.

Third, store policy is almost always: no returns! Even when you say: but they told me it was guaranteed. You may get the famous Thai smile then though.

4th Thais hate confrontation. There is absolutely no road rage here.

Maybe LL Bean would listen but I really can't imagine stores giving you money back on used batteries.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 12:24
Yeah right! Ever shop in Thailand? Return them?
First of all, my Thai is pretty bad, but the girl who sold them to me's English is worse.

Second, Thai women are more into what they look like than talking and you would be lucky to get them away from their compact mirror.

Third, store policy is almost always: no returns! Even when you say: but they told me it was guaranteed. You may get the famous Thai smile then though.

Maybe LL Bean would listen but I really can't imagine stores giving you money back on used batteries.Then contact the manufacturer directly!

ChinMusic
06-26-2008, 12:45

Maybe no road rage, but mine drives like a maniac.........:eek:

ki0eh
06-26-2008, 14:21
I seemed to have better luck with the Kirkland AA batteries from Costco than any others. I'm not a "member" there anymore but they still seem better than the Duracells I get from BJ's. I think Consumer Reports highly rated the Kirkland as well. Not included in this link.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 14:54
I seemed to have better luck with the Kirkland AA batteries from Costco than any others. I'm not a "member" there anymore but they still seem better than the Duracells I get from BJ's. I think Consumer Reports highly rated the Kirkland as well. Not included in this link.I wonder who makes them? Duracell? Maybe you could open up an old one and see what it says on the button batteries inside. I see they have them on Amazon.com.