PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze Time Out Day

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 10:20
Vote here on whether you care to join me for a White Blaze Time Out Day on July 4th to celebrate our nation's independence. This should be easy for most as many are tied up with activities with family, friends, or, my goodness, maybe even hiking.

I was just thinking it might be a good day to get off the website to avoid any further acrimonious discussion about the same old stuff on such an important anniversary where Americans first declared their rights to be free. A day of silence, if you will, to remember that we are lucky to be free and to remember all that has transpired to maintain our freedom.

bloodmountainman
06-26-2008, 10:22
I'll participate. Count me "off" for the 4th. Good idea.

Mags
06-26-2008, 10:30
I was just thinking it might be a good day to get off the website to avoid any further acrimonious discussion about the same old stuff on such an important anniversary where Americans first declared their rights to be free.

Just about every weekend is non-WB (or e-mail for that matter). :)

With July 4th on a Friday, I hope everyone has a 3 day weekend that is full of much outdoor fun.

Kerosene
06-26-2008, 10:32
What's the point?

Red Hat
06-26-2008, 10:39
Yep, I'll not be on WB, as I'll be in the 100 mile wilderness on my SOBO!

Just noticed this is my 600th post. That is as good a time as any to say goodbye since I'll be catching a bus for Maine in the morning.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 10:41
What's the point?

No point other than taking time off computers and boards to celebrate our nation's freedom out in the real world, rather than the internet world, where people tend to be... less than nice. YMMV.

Sort of like national turn-off-the-TV week, but this time to celebrate an important day in history.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 10:42
Vote here on whether you care to join me for a White Blaze Time Out Day on July 4th to celebrate our nation's independence. This should be easy for most as many are tied up with activities with family, friends, or, my goodness, maybe even hiking.

I was just thinking it might be a good day to get off the website to avoid any further acrimonious discussion about the same old stuff on such an important anniversary where Americans first declared their rights to be free. A day of silence, if you will, to remember that we are lucky to be free and to remember all that has transpired to maintain our freedom.That's like a vegetarian giving up meat for Lent.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 10:44
That's like a vegetarian giving up meat for Lent.

Feel free to start early. Today even. ;)

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 10:45
Feel free to start early. Today even. ;)Sorry, I actually think it's a good idea to think about the meaning of Independence Day but like you pointed out, most people aren't going to be on the computer anyway. I would propose the same thing for Thanksgiving Day.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 10:50
Sorry, I actually think it's a good idea to think about the meaning of Independence Day but like you pointed out, most people aren't going to be on the computer anyway. I would propose the same thing for Thanksgiving Day.

The idea of having a timeout is more important than the timeout itself, therefore I made it easy by picking a day that should be celebrated elsewhere. I have a feeling, we may need a lot more timeouts before Thanksgiving though. ;)

Kerosene
06-26-2008, 10:51
Sorry, I didn't get the objective that this was intended as a way to recognize Independence Day, as much as a day away from WB. I expect that I will recognize Independence Day in a number of ways, as I usually do, but I'll likely also take advantage of my freedom to check the board if I get bored.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 10:51
The idea of having a timeout is more important than the timeout itself, therefore I made it easy by picking a day that should be celebrated elsewhere. I have a feeling, we may need a lot more timeouts before Thanksgiving though. ;)Now you sound like a politician!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2008, 10:56
I have family coming to stay for a week so I likely won't be on much anyway.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 12:44
Now you sound like a politician!

No need for insults. ;)

Dances with Mice
06-26-2008, 13:06
I'll be on the Duncan Ridge Trail thwacking weeds. If the spring is running I'll be able to clear all of my section. If it ain't I'll do whatever is whithin walking distance of my van.

generoll
06-26-2008, 14:09
surely you aren't suggesting that we go hiking or something.

Panzer1
06-26-2008, 14:11
This is dumb.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 14:18
This is dumb.

Panzer

hey we agree. most folks look at July 4th as just a day off, a cookout and fireworks

D'Artagnan
06-26-2008, 14:20
hey we agree. most folks look at July 4th as just a day off, a cookout and fireworks

Hey, is Damascus doing fireworks? I'm thinking of heading up that way.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 14:29
Hey, is Damascus doing fireworks? I'm thinking of heading up that way.

yes but on the 3rd. this friggin town is screwy

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 14:54
yes but on the 3rd. this friggin town is screwy

Cool. I'll come and watch with ya.

Bearpaw
06-26-2008, 17:23
My wife and I will definitely be offline, since we'll be hiking the AT in the Smokies........

So I'll just offer an early "Happy Independence Day!" to all our American members:clap:sun

And my condolences to my relatives in Great Britain ;)........

Silver Bear
06-26-2008, 18:41
I agree we need to recognize what & who has given us our FREEDOM.
Unfortunatly I will have to work on the 4th. That's retail. You may want to consider not shopping on the 4th. Than maybe I will get the holiday off. I am given a floating holiday I can take at another time.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2008, 18:43
I have family coming to stay for a week so I likely won't be on much anyway.Family just called and canceled - my granddaughter has her biggest client coming in and they won't deal with anyone but her. :( Guess I'm going to be around on the fourth.

Skidsteer
06-26-2008, 18:52
Easily done for me.

I'll be hiking(plus a few other things) for 10 days starting the 4th. Independence day baby.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 19:07
I have a busy week of hiking myself, mostly between the grill and the bar, serving family. The hike is short, but it is a fun time. :)

I am hoping to squeeze in an 18-hole hike as well. :cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2008, 19:18
Easily done for me.

I'll be hiking(plus a few other things) for 10 days starting the 4th. Independence day baby.Dear Skids,

I officially hate you and you sux.

Love,
The green with envy Dino

Odd Thomas
06-26-2008, 19:43

Yea, tax protesters.

RBoone
06-26-2008, 20:00
I have family coming to stay for a week so I likely won't be on much anyway.

12,000 posts in under three years. About 10 every single day, or about 1 post for every 1/5 an AT mile? And you're not going to be on much for a day? ;)

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 20:03
12,000 posts in under three years. About 10 every single day, or about 1 post for every 1/5 an AT mile? And you're not going to be on much for a day? ;)

She was a moderator for quite some time. Kept her busy, to say the least. Some moderators are quiet, FD participates. Say something nice now. :)

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 20:31
Unfortunatly I will have to work on the 4th. That's retail. You may want to consider not shopping on the 4th. Than maybe I will get the holiday off. I am given a floating holiday I can take at another time.

Interesting thought. Who and/or what has given us our freedom?

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 20:32
Interesting thought. Who and/or what has given us our freedom?

the indians. they had ****ty weapons. we kicked their ass. we rule for the time being

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 20:43
Great. We have alleged educators showing up here wondering who has given us our freedom. :rolleyes:

I don't have time for this right now.

I'll be spending 4 July cooking, and helping to feed around 100 members of the Class of '08 in Duncannon, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Won't miss the computer one bit.

I hope some of you out there can join us that weekend.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 20:45
Great. We have alleged educators showing up here wondering who has given us our freedom. :rolleyes:

I'll be spending 4 July cooking, and helping to feed around 100 members of the Class of '08 in Duncannon, and I'm really looking forward to it.

too bad the $$, energy and generosity of local merchants couldn't be given towards the truly needy, not hikers with pockets full of cash

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 20:58
too bad the $$, energy and generosity of local merchants couldn't be given towards the truly needy, not hikers with pockets full of cash

plus the poor hikers have been fed since springer. better have a rich simmons sweatin' to the oldies seminar or two :)

Odd Thomas
06-26-2008, 20:58

Who's wondering? Tax protesters. That's who signed the paper proclaiming our freedom, that's who fought and secured it, and that's how the issue started in the first place.

To celebrate, I'm not paying tax that day, except for sales tax, and the invisible inflation tax, and fuel tax and liquor tax, capitol gains tax, electronic communications tax oh screw it (sigh):p

oops56
06-26-2008, 21:00
I be on here some or watch a race on tv if no race i play with my stoves

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 21:06
Um, Wolf, I personally know some of these local people, and I have no doubt they contribute to all sorts of causes.

They've elected to contribute to the hiker weekend on and after 4 July.

That's their choice.

And if you don't want to take part, that's YOUR choice.

Oddly enough, I don't think you'll be missed. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:12
Um, Wolf, I personally know some of these local people, and I have no doubt they contribute to all sorts of causes.

They've elected to contribute to the hiker weekend on and after 4 July.

That's their choice.

And if you don't want to take part, that's YOUR choice.

oddly enuf, my feelings aren't hurt. feeding folks that don't need feeding is low on my list of things to do. maybe you could get the ATC license plate program to offset costs :rolleyes:

OregonHiker
06-26-2008, 21:23

Tarlin:

We would miss you, but you won't go away :cool:

warren doyle
06-26-2008, 21:24
Next stop after Duncannon - Port Clinton or Delaware Water Gap.

SteveJ
06-26-2008, 21:28
Who's wondering? Tax protesters. That's who signed the paper proclaiming our freedom, that's who fought and secured it, and that's how the issue started in the first place.

To celebrate, I'm not paying tax that day, except for sales tax, and the invisible inflation tax, and fuel tax and liquor tax, capitol gains tax, electronic communications tax oh screw it (sigh):p

I'll be at the lake all day - celebrating our freedom...will prolly pay the taxes OT lists above, in addition to a tobacco tax as I'll likely have a good stogie...unfortunately, will not necessarily be celebrating economic freedom :rolleyes: - according to one ranking, we're at best 5th on an index of overall economic freedom, and much lower in fiscal freedom....

http://www.heritage.org/Index/

quoting:

Fiscal Freedom - 68.3%
U.S. tax rates are burdensome. Both the top income tax rate and the top corporate tax rate are 35 percent. Other taxes include a property tax, an estate tax, and excise taxes. In the most recent year, overall tax revenue as a percentage of GDP was 26.8 percent.

www.fairtax.org (http://www.fairtax.org)

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 21:33
oddly enuf, my feelings aren't hurt. feeding folks that don't need feeding is low on my list of things to do. maybe you could get the ATC license plate program to offset costs :rolleyes:

That's interesting. I could have swore I read somewhere that you occasionally setup a grill or something at a local road crossing to feed hikers. Perhaps I am mistaken.

And who said it was high on Duncannon businesses' list anyway? Businesses where I come from donate to many charities, some more needy than others. Nothing wrong with that.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 21:36
That's interesting. I could have swore I read somewhere that you occasionally setup a grill or something at a local road crossing to feed hikers. Perhaps I am mistaken.

mistaken. i USED to help Ratpatrol at his feeds but got tired of unappreciative hikers

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 21:52
mistaken. i USED to help Ratpatrol at his feeds but got tired of unappreciative hikers

That sounds like what I would expect. Too many takers in this world. Then they complain.

modiyooch
06-26-2008, 22:38
I think that Tin Man will be away from his computer for the holiday, and doesn't want to read double time to catch up with the entries posted while he's gone. Since I will have off from work that day; I'll doubt that I will be off the internet that day.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 22:47
I think that Tin Man will be away from his computer for the holiday, and doesn't want to read double time to catch up with the entries posted while he's gone. Since I will have off from work that day; I'll doubt that I will be off the internet that day.

Catch up with what? It's the same drivel day in and day out. :)

Just thought keeping the drivel off the forums for a day might be cool, but 50% disagree. Do what you want, I don't really care. I posted this mostly out of curiosity about how people felt about a time-out and maybe give the mods a break in the process. Instead some prefer to keep the mods busy deleting posts and shutting down threads.

Happy to hear you have Independence day off.

Pedaling Fool
06-26-2008, 22:56
I promise to not log on for the first week of July, even if I pass a public library while biking the Great Allegheny Passage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Allegheny_Passage).:D

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 12:19
Happy Holiday everyone!

Enjoy your hikes, families, friends or White Blazing. :sun

Two Speed
06-27-2008, 12:29
I'll be on the Duncan Ridge Trail thwacking weeds. If the spring is running I'll be able to clear all of my section. If it ain't I'll do whatever is whithin walking distance of my van.Sooo, need any help keeping the DRT free of weeds?

Dances with Mice
06-27-2008, 12:59
Sooo, need any help keeping the DRT free of weeds?Yes indeed! The more the merrier.

My plans (...and you know well how loosely I use that term...) are to drive to Mulky Gap (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mulky+gap,+georgia&sll=34.201465,-84.249768&sspn=0.00772,0.00912&ie=UTF8&ll=34.797629,-84.03996&spn=0.01533,0.018239&z=15)on the 4th and walk north / west to Sarvis Gap. If the spring at Sarvis is more than a muddy ooze I'll make base camp and thwack to the BMT intersection, returning to Sarvis for the night. If Sarvis is dry I beat feet back to Mulky and ponder the situation.

kanga
06-27-2008, 13:09

it was a retorical question, brainiac. don't have time? great. we all need a break from the hate.

kanga
06-27-2008, 13:10

Tarlin:

We would miss you, but you won't go away :cool:
you people are friggin' hilarious today. i just snorted my coffee.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2008, 13:13
you people are friggin' hilarious today. i just snorted my coffee.

at least YOU have a sense of humor. wanna hear some off color jokes?

kanga
06-27-2008, 13:15
at least YOU have a sense of humor. wanna hear some off color jokes?

i'd love to!! bring 'em on!

Rain Man
06-27-2008, 14:42
Not a problem for me!

I'll be hiking with a group of WBers past Laurel Falls and Watauga Lake in TN on the 4th.

Anyone else want to join our group for the weekend?

Rain:sunMan

Gray Blazer
06-27-2008, 14:48
Celebrate my independence by being a sheeple? No, thanks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-27-2008, 14:58
We Dinos are looking at possibly being up that way - near Erwin - and rafting the river then retreating to solitude and a whirlpool for two - today is our anniversary.
Not a problem for me!

I'll be hiking with a group of WBers past Laurel Falls and Watauga Lake in TN on the 4th.

Gray Blazer
06-27-2008, 15:00
We Dinos are looking at possibly being up that way - near Erwin - and rafting the river then retreating to solitude and a whirlpool for two - today is our anniversary.

Happy Anniversary!!

kanga
06-27-2008, 15:17
Happy Anniversary!!!:sun

kanga
06-27-2008, 15:20
Not a problem for me!

it's beautiful there, isn't it? we'll be at the lake for the 4th and i hope to talk my friends into a day hike. maybe we'll cross paths at some point. happy hiking!

hammock engineer
06-27-2008, 15:45
Planning on hiking anyways. Good idea. Too many cyber hikers out there in WB land to get everyone to do it.

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-27-2008, 15:52
I'll be in Jefferson National Forest camping so no problem for me, but do hope to do some day hiking around the War Spur area of the AT.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-27-2008, 16:09
Happy Anniversary!!
Happy Anniversary!!!:sunThanks. It seems like only yesterday - and I still kinda like the He-Dino :D

Dances with Mice
06-27-2008, 16:16
Anybody else like to celebrate the Fourth doin' some weed? Rollin' some weed (off the trail), talkin' 'bout some good weed here and ... and it's really hard to make this sound fun ....

But I can always use a little help from my friends. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_MsrsKzMM) Or, as Joe put it, everybody get a loaf of my bread.

Two Speed
06-27-2008, 16:33
DWM, there's a very high probability I'll be a co-conspirator in your nefarious plan to free the DRT from weeds. Lemme check on one or two little items and I'll get back with you. In the meantime do some of that lean, mean detailed planning you're so famous for.

saimyoji
06-27-2008, 17:11
I plan to get wasted and post horrible non-PC garbage just to agitate all you suckers who can't control yourselves on a daily basis and need a "Day Off". :rolleyes: Grow up kids.

*****:D*****

Blissful
06-27-2008, 19:54
No WB for me - up visiting parents in NY next week and looking forward to hiking Slide Mtn which I haven't done since I was a kid.

To all our WB vets - thank you so much for your service to our country.

Tinker
06-27-2008, 20:17
White Blaze or no White Blaze, I'll be celebrating the independence of our country from the commercial oppression of Great Britain. Now, I don't believe that our country is in any sense "God's country" (those that use that phrase have only to look about themselves to see the lack of respect for God : "Christ" is most often viewed among the masses as a good name to use in vain, not the title of the Messiah of Israel), and drunkenness is the most celebrated activity, along with blowing one's hand off with crudely manufactured incendiary devices.
Nonetheless, I'm thankful for the men and women who valued their freedom enough to die for the less thankful of this country, and I will celebrate our independence with reverence to their sacrifice.
End of sermon.
Have a wonderful Fourth. Be thankful.

modiyooch
06-27-2008, 21:46
Catch up with what? It's the same drivel day in and day out. :)

Just thought keeping the drivel off the forums for a day might be cool, but 50% disagree. Do what you want, I don't really care. I posted this mostly out of curiosity about how people felt about a time-out and maybe give the mods a break in the process. Instead some prefer to keep the mods busy deleting posts and shutting down threads.

Happy to hear you have Independence day off. It's a very busy board. No way for me to catch up once I miss time. I just noticed your high number of posts. I have a novel idea. How about we just act civil with our postings so that a moderator doesn't have to babysit. Let's also eliminate drivel all together.

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 23:02
It's a very busy board. No way for me to catch up once I miss time. I just noticed your high number of posts. I have a novel idea. How about we just act civil with our postings so that a moderator doesn't have to babysit. Let's also eliminate drivel all together.

Careful with that. I tried to suggest happier posting and was crucified... by the drivelers. Can't beat them, join them. ;)

Actually, I learned to take the drivel as pure nonsense and have fun with it. Some folks are just too serious.

Watch 'em jump on me now for this post. :)

modiyooch
06-27-2008, 23:09
hey tm, off topic. I just hiked thru CT in May and enjoyed the area.

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2008, 23:18
Just wanted to take a minute and say I expect to be celebrating the 4th (and the 5th and 6th!) in Duncannon, cooking up a storm, feeding hikers, and spending time with lots of good folks, some of whom I first met, and haven't seen, since Georgia or North Carolina.

There won't be fireworks, this year, just a lot of good food and good people.

Sure hope some of you can join us.

angewrite
06-27-2008, 23:21
Just wanted to take a minute and say I expect to be celebrating the 4th (and the 5th and 6th!) in Duncannon, cooking up a storm, feeding hikers, and spending time with lots of good folks, some of whom I first met, and haven't seen, since Georgia or North Carolina.

Are you sure? Mary was just talking about the fireworks today...

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 23:22
hey tm, off topic. I just hiked thru CT in May and enjoyed the area.

It is a pretty state. It is nice to have the AT nearby where I can stretch my legs on occasion, but I prefer hiking the trail in VT and NH.

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 23:35

No fireworks? As in rockets or banter? :-?

Maybe another time. Holidays are busy around here. Enjoy! :cool:

camojack
06-27-2008, 23:42
As I've said before, I think that July 4th weekend is an inconvenient time for many who already have plans...which many do.
(Myself included; I'll be in Alaska this time, last year it was the Caribbean)

I think that's why so many Billville regulars won't even be at this particular Billville event.

In the future, I would respectfully suggest an alternate weekend...

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2008, 23:51
Um, truth be told, this isn't really a Billville event, as only a handful of folks will be there, most of us having made other plans long ago; or have other obligations; or are thousands of miles away.

No matter. It should be a good time anyway.

camojack
06-28-2008, 00:09
Um, truth be told, this isn't really a Billville event, as only a handful of folks will be there, most of us having made other plans long ago; or have other obligations; or are thousands of miles away.
No matter. It should be a good time anyway.
Well, it's being called the "Billville Feed & Fun '08 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37358)" event...as in the thread by that title (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37358). :-?

The fact that so many of us have other plans or obligations is why I suggested that it be on a different weekend in the future.

YMMV. Have a good time... :D

Jack Tarlin
06-28-2008, 00:13
The title is unfortunate, as there will only be about three Billville people actually there. :D

But it doesn't matter. A lot of work and effort has gone into making this a fun weekend, and anyway, it's not about the folks who are throwing the party or have thrown it in the past; it's about the good folks who'll honor us by showing up and joining us in Duncannon.

Hope to see lots of you there.

Ape 99
06-28-2008, 01:59
I'll be at work wasting time on a computer, probably stop by WB for a lurk or two.

saimyoji
06-28-2008, 10:17
I plan to get wasted and post horrible non-PC garbage just to agitate all you suckers who can't control yourselves on a daily basis and need a "Day Off". :rolleyes: Grow up kids.

*****:D*****

I take it back. There's been enough vitriol and rancor around here to last a lifetime. I'll be hiking. Or canoing. And burned meat and beer will be involved at some point.

mrc237
06-28-2008, 11:48
Hope the beer is cold. :D

dmax
06-28-2008, 12:12
Is there a way for the people who run this site, to disable the posting section for the weekend? This would give them a break and not have to moderate the forums. People would still be able to get on here and read old posts.
For those of us who are stuck in their house, myself due to injury, would still be able to enjoy the site.
Just a thought.

modiyooch
06-28-2008, 12:17
is that necessary? I can't post while I'm working. So if I decide to use my holiday to help plan my next outing, I cannot because of a few bad apples. Why not just block the people who tend to attack one another? I'm sure we know who they are? I'm not even on here that much, and I can name a few. They show up in every thread with cheap and unnecessary shots at each other.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-28-2008, 12:22
I'm going to put the whole board on ignore for independence day :D

Gray Blazer
06-28-2008, 15:39
Careful with that. I tried to suggest happier posting and was crucified... by the drivelers. Can't beat them, join them. ;)

Actually, I learned to take the drivel as pure nonsense and have fun with it. Some folks are just too serious.

Watch 'em jump on me now for this post. :)

How dare you!! (How was that?)

saimyoji
06-28-2008, 17:07
Hope the beer is cold. :D

Bet'yer azz it will be.

StarLyte
06-28-2008, 17:57
Is there a way for the people who run this site, to disable the posting section for the weekend? This would give them a break and not have to moderate the forums. People would still be able to get on here and read old posts.
For those of us who are stuck in their house, myself due to injury, would still be able to enjoy the site.
Just a thought.

That is a great idea. AND clever.

Sorry to hear about your injury tho...

oops56
06-28-2008, 18:06
That is a great idea. AND clever.

Sorry to hear about your injury tho...

Gee don't do that then i have to get off me butt and do something worth wile

TOW
06-29-2008, 04:11
I can't do it, I'm addicted.

I'm powerless over my addiction to Whiteblaze and my life is unmanageable.......

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2008, 05:23
IME, a power greater than yourself could restore you to sanity.

TOW
06-29-2008, 08:17
whats an IME?

Tin Man
06-29-2008, 08:18
whats an IME?

In My Exteme way of thinking. :D

Gray Blazer
06-29-2008, 08:20
In my estimation?

TOW
06-29-2008, 08:20
IME, a power greater than yourself could restore you to sanity.
you are missing the point FD, i will not let go of myself to let that power restore me to sanity.......

Tin Man
06-29-2008, 08:21
In my estimation?

In My Experience

kayak karl
06-29-2008, 09:09
you are missing the point FD, i will not let go of myself to let that power restore me to sanity.......
restore : To bring back to an original condition :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2008, 09:41
restore : To bring back to an original condition :-?Touche'

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 04:28

I was just thinking it might be a good day to get off the website to avoid any further acrimonious discussion about the same old stuff on such an important anniversary where Americans first declared their rights to be free. A day of silence, if you will, to remember that we are lucky to be free and to remember all that has transpired to maintain our freedom.

at least the politics forum is down. it needs time out. is it temporary or permanant? hope it's permanant. :)

Panzer1
07-02-2008, 04:36
well, it looks like you got your time out day a little sooner that you thought??:)
Welcome back WhiteBlaze. I'm supposed to be working. SHHHH.. Don't tell my boss. Really I,d rather be sleeping.

Panzer
(up at 4:30am... scheese)

Marta
07-02-2008, 05:59
Three-day weekend=time to go hiking

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2008, 06:14
at least the politics forum is down. it needs time out. is it temporary or permanent? hope it's permanent. :)Amen - I hope it is permanent as well.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/scared006.gif
Three-day weekend=time to go hikingWonderful - where are we going :D

Marta
07-02-2008, 06:28
Wonderful - where are we going :D

Haven't decided for sure yet. Still discussing with DH.

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 07:07
well, it looks like you got your time out day a little sooner that you thought??:)

Yeah, blame me. But don't curse me or you will be erased. :)

mrc237
07-02-2008, 07:32
at least the politics forum is down. it needs time out. is it temporary or permanant? hope it's permanant. :)

Me too! Will not donate next time around if its restored! Its a hiking site!!!:)

oldfivetango
07-02-2008, 07:33
Actually,haven'y we all just had a two day "time out" recently?
I need a "fix" for the outdoors everyday-this is where I get it
with all of you wonderful people-yeah,you have stooped to being
nothing more than my enablers.;)
Oldfivetango

See Bee
07-02-2008, 08:04
I'm off work, but my wife and kids have to work. I'll probably be here for some of the time and playing Texas Hold'Em online for the other, and hiking for a couple hours in the morning, and cooking hamburgers and hotdogs for the wife and kids, and shooting illegal fireworks later on, and drinking lots of beers to get myself in a patriotic frenzy!!

TOW
07-02-2008, 09:06
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

horicon
07-02-2008, 09:33
If I do not have to go to work, I am going hiking.

JAK
07-02-2008, 10:37
We already celebrated Canada Day by taking a break from White Blaze, so why not eh. :)

No fireworks last night here in Saint John though. Cancelled due to fog.
Made me kinda miss the fireworks on White Blaze. ;)

Dances with Mice
07-03-2008, 06:57
My favorite hiker buddy Barney can't come because his owner's sniffing out new territory.

On the 4th I'm off to Tray Mtn with a group to clear the wilderness back fom the Trail so if anyone wants to come out, commune with nature then beat it to pieces come on out! I hear our trained wild boars have already done much of our work for us.

On the 5th I'm moving to Mulky Gap on the DRT to head north on a weed whacking back packing trip. Here's an opportunity to hike the hardest portion of the DRT. It might be a very, very slow hike but you'll get to see the DRT up close and personal.

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 09:27
I'll be out kayaking and geocaching.

Jan LiteShoe
07-03-2008, 09:38
Off to the mountains of Independence, VA, perhaps the Highlands of Greyson

Squeamish
07-03-2008, 09:54
I will attend, because I will be in Mexico!!! But, I would have even if I wasn't in Mexico.

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 11:26
Off to the mountains of Independence, VA, perhaps the Highlands of Greyson

So is that how a hiker spends her honeymoon???? Congrats by the way.

Footslogger
07-03-2008, 11:31
We'll (BadAss Turtle and I) be in the mountains outside of Laramie. First trip since the heart attack. Can't wait to feel (and smell) that old backpack again !!

'Slogger

Heater
07-03-2008, 11:36
We'll (BadAss Turtle and I) be in the mountains outside of Laramie. First trip since the heart attack. Can't wait to feel (and smell) that old backpack again !!

'Slogger

Have fun and/but take it easy.

Footslogger
07-03-2008, 11:40
Have fun and/but take it easy.

==============================

Will do ...and nowadays I take it any way I can get it. Every day is a bonus after surviving the visit from the grim reaper !!

'Slogger

Sly
07-03-2008, 11:45
Me too! Will not donate next time around if its restored! Its a hiking site!!!:)

That's OK I'll donate double if it's restored. :D

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 11:45

Tin --

It is a wonderful idea, with which I disagree. I say this only as a different perspective, not to argue, since I sympathize with you and hope to see all of us here avoid acrimony.

But it seems to me that the Declaration of Independence is perhaps the most acrimonious piece of writing in American history; the original "flame", if you will, which called George III just about every name in the book, as well as his ministers. And it stands for the liberty to say things that are pointed, hostile (it was the defining document for a war!) and even treasonous. It started a war of words (and yes, more) that continues even today: Freedom, or silence?

So while I doubt I'll be on much - you're right, there are other, and mostly better, things to do - I probably will take a pass by here to enjoy reading about my favorite topic (backpacking, yeah, honest!) - and make sure this special place remains.

I hope you enjoy the day!

TW

dixicritter
07-03-2008, 12:16
I'll be working part of the day... then spending the rest with the boys while Rock is working. Won't be on WB though. Hardly have time to visit WB anymore as it is with my job now.

Footslogger
07-03-2008, 12:17
I'll be working part of the day... then spending the rest with the boys while Rock is working. Won't be on WB though. Hardly have time to visit WB anymore as it is with my job now.

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of really important stuff ??

'Slogger

dixicritter
07-03-2008, 12:18

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of really important stuff ??

'Slogger

You know it!!! :)

saimyoji
07-03-2008, 14:59
Beer is chilling...meat is marinating...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-03-2008, 15:59
I've spotted the elusive DixiCritter! You are missed more than you will ever know on this site.

leeki pole
07-03-2008, 16:13
as we say around here, in the cooler and on the grill......

Lone Wolf
07-03-2008, 16:14
tomorrow will be harley, golf, beer and meat and whiteblaze mixed in

Heater
07-03-2008, 16:20

Queso warming up...

:D

Heater
07-03-2008, 16:21
You know it!!! :)

Happy Holiday DixieCritter. :sun

Tin Man
07-03-2008, 20:10
tomorrow will be harley, golf, beer and meat and whiteblaze mixed in

Hit 'em straight. I did today... well mostly. :rolleyes:

The 19th hole is my best hole...plan to spend a lot of time on 19 tomorrow cooking meat... but no wb... y'all have fun now. :cool:

Lone Wolf
07-03-2008, 22:52
Hit 'em straight. I did today... well mostly. :rolleyes:

The 19th hole is my best hole...plan to spend a lot of time on 19 tomorrow cooking meat... but no wb... y'all have fun now. :cool:

shot a 44 for 9 earlier today. not bad for not playing since april

Tin Man
07-04-2008, 00:21
shot a 44 for 9 earlier today. not bad for not playing since april

Yes, not bad at all. Do you know the slope rating? The course I played today was rated 136 - tough bugger.

Tin Man
07-04-2008, 00:57
A lof of deleting going on in the new White Blaze. I think I may take more than the one day off. Y'all have fun now.

4eyedbuzzard
07-04-2008, 09:16
No, I won't be taking a "time out day" today. Didn't we all just get put in "time out" a couple of days ago anyway?

woodsy
07-04-2008, 09:24
No, I won't be taking a "time out day" today. Didn't we all just get put in "time out" a couple of days ago anyway?
Reminds me of military service, a few guys screw things up and the whole damn company pays :D

4eyedbuzzard
07-04-2008, 09:32
Reminds me of military service, a few guys screw things up and the whole damn company pays :D

Yeah, good ol' mass discipline. 'cept there's no way to throw a "virtual" blanket party to make it work if the FU's don't straighten out on their own.

I'm just hangin' today, little cookout later, maybe a fire out in the backyard.

See Bee
07-04-2008, 11:41
I see the time out is working well.

...Well, off to the store to buy stuff. Then I'll consume the stuff. Almost beer time!!

Sly
07-04-2008, 15:36
I think I may take more than the one day off.

Promises, promises... :p

kayak karl
07-04-2008, 15:43
Almost beer time!!
you must live in a different time zone:D
enjoy!

See Bee
07-04-2008, 16:20
you Must Live In A Different Time Zone:d
Enjoy!

Lol

:d

Jan LiteShoe
07-05-2008, 11:27
So is that how a hiker spends her honeymoon???? Congrats by the way.

Ah, yes. Thanks! Cool and misty up here today, about 70 degrees with a light breeze.
A good temp for snuggling.
:sun

Just Jack
07-05-2008, 22:06
Jan--is there any truth to the rumor about a baby shower?

Pedaling Fool
07-05-2008, 23:41
I've spotted the elusive DixiCritter! You are missed more than you will ever know on this site.
I've noticed Dixiecritter and Mr. Rock has been taking a lot of time-off lately, what's up with that? We need supervision;)

P.S. Sorry about the "Mr" stuff, but you're retired and can no longer play army.:sun

Pedaling Fool
07-05-2008, 23:43
Ah, yes. Thanks! Cool and misty up here today, about 70 degrees with a light breeze.
A good temp for snuggling.
:sun
I just got back from riding the Great Allegheny Passage and the temps were pretty cool, especially at night - I could've used some snuggling:)

dixicritter
07-06-2008, 00:01

Thank you Dino! Wish I had more time to help out, but there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore. :(

Jan LiteShoe
07-06-2008, 08:38
Jan--is there any truth to the rumor about a baby shower?

Ha, you ARE a pot-stirrer, Jack.
No shower, but if you want to keep bringing presents, that would be awesome.
:)

Cookerhiker
07-06-2008, 08:48
I "timed out" on July 4, wrapping up 3 days in the Dolly Sods Wilderness. (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/dolly_scenic.html)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-06-2008, 09:28
Ha, you ARE a pot-stirrer, Jack.
No shower, but if you want to keep bringing presents, that would be awesome.
:)Please let us know if pink or blue presents are in order on the AT-L list as well... I don't check in at WB all that often anymore.