PDA

View Full Version : Tent platforms

The_Professor
06-26-2008, 11:36
I'll be sectioning through the White Mountains in a couple of weeks, and it will be my first experience with tent platforms. How does one go about setting up a non-freestanding tent on the things? Are there nails or hooks to use instead of stakes, or do you just wedge stakes between the planks? My tent is a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo.

-- The Professor

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 11:48
You can use rocks to weight down stakes that you attach your tent lines to. Winds can be incredible in that area.

fiddlehead
06-26-2008, 11:53
Or go buy 4 cup holders at a hardware store and carry them.
They may come in handy. (don't forget them in the morning)

mister krabs
06-26-2008, 11:55
Or go buy 4 cup holders at a hardware store and carry them.

Cup holders?

fiddlehead
06-26-2008, 12:02
Yeah, they are like eye hooks only open. Used for hanging coffee cups on the top of a shelf in your kitchen cupboard.

rafe
06-26-2008, 12:03
Yeah, there's always a way. Twigs jammed between the slats, or some such. Maybe carry some extra twine.

Blissful
06-26-2008, 12:03
I'd consider free standing, actually...
The winds can be very bad.
But there are usually eyelits to tie off (and bring some extras). Bring lots of rope.

spunky
06-26-2008, 12:22
I took a Lunar Solo on my recent AT trip and used it on the tent platform at the Shaker Campsite in MASS. The eyelets were broken off the side and I wondered how the heck I was going to get it up. My first thought was to put the stakes between the decking boards but they were spaced too far apart. There were not trees close enough to the platform to use either. I ended up hammering (with a rock) the stakes between the platform's skirt board and the decking boards. I didn't put it too far in; just far enough to be secure. I easily pulled it out the next morning.

I have used the platforms in the Whites with a semi freestanding tent that still needed staking out. I was able to tie the corners off to trees or rocks. The platforms did have metal eyelets all around the sides but they weren't always in the "correct" location for my tent.

Hope this helps! It can be done. You'll appreciate the weight savings of the Lunar Solo over a freestanding tent while you're hiking!

The_Professor
06-26-2008, 12:32
In the southern regions where I've already hiked, I've hammocked my way, but I decided that it would be a bit too chilly to try that in northern New England. I could do all the stuff that would increase the warmth of the hammock, but that would defeat the purpose of using it -- light weight. Hence the tent. And as you imply, I went with the Solo because of the weight savings over any of the freestanding tents.

rafe
06-26-2008, 13:01
Something like the guy on the left. The image is about 1/2 or 1/3 scale. Get 'em at any HW store.

http://www.bestnutsbolts.com/fitting7.jpg

The_Professor
06-26-2008, 13:26
Something like the guy on the left. The image is about 1/2 or 1/3 scale. Get 'em at any HW store.

http://www.bestnutsbolts.com/fitting7.jpg

A simple lightweight solution, and I'm pretty sure that I won't even have to puchase any of the thing -- I think I've got a pile of the things somewhere around the house.
Thanks!

sheepdog
06-26-2008, 14:54
A simple lightweight solution, and I'm pretty sure that I won't even have to puchase any of the thing -- I think I've got a pile of the things somewhere around the house.
Thanks!
Look under your cupboard, but don't let your wife catch you.;)

hopefulhiker
06-26-2008, 14:57
I just used rocks, guyed out to near by trees.. I would set up the Tarptent Squall right at the front of the platform and guy it out right down to the ground. It worked OK and I actually enjoyed the level,non rocky surface of the platform.

The_Professor
06-26-2008, 15:05
I just used rocks, guyed out to near by trees.. I would set up the Tarptent Squall right at the front of the platform and guy it out right down to the ground. It worked OK and I actually enjoyed the level,non rocky surface of the platform.

Understood -- I prefer tenting/hammocking to the shelters in less rocky areas because the ground is usually softer than shelter floors. I've tented on rock a time or two and found it a less than pleasant experience.

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2008, 08:59
Piling rocks on tent corners can damage the tent. I bring extra rope (usually parachute cord) and set out guy ropes, either four or six, depending on secure I want the tent-fly to be. It takes a little while, but it works great. If you expect to be doing this more than once on this trip, don't untie the ropes from your tent after your first night; that way, the next time you set up on a platform, you'll pretty much ready to go. Lastly, if you expect to do this, make sure you have a decent groundcloth between your tent and the platform, because if it rains while you're tenting on a platform, the bottom of your tent can soak thru very quickly.

rafe
06-27-2008, 09:09
Thinking out loud here: Stick a twig through the tent loop. Now tape down the twig with a couple of short pieces of duct tape. Or set flat rocks down on the twig. Repeat for each corner of the tent.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2008, 09:14
consider cowboy camping or stealthing. platforms suck worse than shelters. just a thought

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 09:16
All good advice. I was on a very large tent platform in NH last year. No problems tightening down the three corners that were near an edge of the platform. What to do with the forth that was a long way from anything to tie down? I tied one end of a line to the tent and one to a stick and dropped the stick between slats in the tent platform. Turned the stick so it was across the slats and snugged it down with a taut-line hitch. Worked like a champ.

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 09:19
consider cowboy camping or stealthing. platforms suck worse than shelters. just a thought

I don't know about worse. At least the rain washes away the dirt from the surface. And I haven't spotted any mice. The worst part is the hard surface on the back. I thought about moving last time I stayed on one, but it was windy and raining hard.

Appalachian Tater
06-27-2008, 11:33
Thinking out loud here: Stick a twig through the tent loop. Now tape down the twig with a couple of short pieces of duct tape. Or set flat rocks down on the twig. Repeat for each corner of the tent.Duct tape wouldn't cut it in wind unless you completely wrapped a board with it. A combo of twigs or stakes and rocks work better. Twigs can snap, stakes are better.

Lastly, if you expect to do this, make sure you have a decent groundcloth between your tent and the platform, because if it rains while you're tenting on a platform, the bottom of your tent can soak thru very quickly.I never actually had soak-through but have wondered on occasion why they put the platform decking close enough together to hold water. Maybe the platform was new and they were expecting a little shrinkage or maybe it was seasonal or weather-related.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-02-2008, 07:05
Thanks!
Just remember to pull them out when you leave. Someone setting up in the dark might not see them and tear his tent or flesh

Slo-go'en
07-02-2008, 20:05

Sorry LW, thats not a good idea. Tent platforms are there for a very good reason and are great. No rocks, no roots, no mud and usually (but not always) level. Tent platforms are a way of life up here in NE.

Camping anywhere else (near-by) is likely not practical and certinally not legal. (exception being hammacs) Bring some extra nylon cord and you'll be fine.

mrc237
07-03-2008, 08:35
I own a tarptent. I've ad alot of success using an 8"X8" piece of tyvek tied to the end of the guylines (sheetbend) when guyed out use a rock to cinch it.

mudcap
07-04-2008, 19:55
mrc237,that is a great idea. Thanks

Lone Wolf
07-04-2008, 20:06
Sorry LW, thats not a good idea. Tent platforms are there for a very good reason and are great. No rocks, no roots, no mud and usually (but not always) level. Tent platforms are a way of life up here in NE.

Camping anywhere else (near-by) is likely not practical and certinally not legal. (exception being hammacs) Bring some extra nylon cord and you'll be fine.

your opinion. i've camped for 20+ years in the north legally and comfortably within the rules. platforms are not a way of life

Tagless
07-05-2008, 12:21
Lots of great ideas here! Thanks to everyone that took time to share.