PDA

View Full Version : too late to start?

Roughin' It
06-26-2008, 13:57
Hello,

I am new to the forums and all that, and also somewhat new to the hiking world. I live and go to college in Virginia, and am seriously thinking about doing a thru-hike in 2009.
Since I am in college, my schooling wouldn't get out until about May 10-ish, and I was wondering if that is too late to start the thru-hike NOBO? or should i go SOBO? I hear most people start in March or April, but I would not be able to start until middle/late may. I won't be returning for the fall semester, so that is not an issue as far as getting done in a certain time, but I would like to avoid the more harsh weather if possible.

Comments/Suggestions/Input?

-mitch

Lone Wolf
06-26-2008, 14:04
Hello,

I am new to the forums and all that, and also somewhat new to the hiking world. I live and go to college in Virginia, and am seriously thinking about doing a thru-hike in 2009.
Since I am in college, my schooling wouldn't get out until about May 10-ish, and I was wondering if that is too late to start the thru-hike NOBO? or should i go SOBO? I hear most people start in March or April, but I would not be able to start until middle/late may. I won't be returning for the fall semester, so that is not an issue as far as getting done in a certain time, but I would like to avoid the more harsh weather if possible.

-mitch

start in georgia in may and hike to harpers ferry then catch a train, bus, plane to maine and hike back to HF

Blissful
06-26-2008, 15:05
Welcome!

Or start in Harpers Ferry, head north, then flip and go from HF to Springer in the fall. If you start in May down south it will be hot and humid in no time.

SawnieRobertson
06-26-2008, 15:15
I met a young woman in 2003 who had begun her hike after college graduation that May, going NOBO. It was still fairly early in her hike. I thought she'd never make it, but I was way wrong. She summitted Katahdin with the other mid-October people--without flipping or flopping, just by being a healthy, strong hiker with an amazing attitude.--Kinnickinic

Johnny Swank
06-26-2008, 15:24
Hello,

-mitch

Save yourself the stress of starting a northbound trip late, Go SOBO, leaving around mid-June thru mid-July. I started July 1, putzed around the whole time, and finished Jan 11. You could easily be done by Thanksgiving if you have more self-control than I did!

Here's my thru-hike journals if you're interested.

http://sourcetosea.net/category/appalachian-trail-thru-hike-journals/

camojack
06-26-2008, 18:18
As others have mentioned, you have options; SOBO, flip flop, etc.

I was hiking through Shenandoah N. P. in July when a guy who'd started at Springer in May got there.

It all depends upon your pace, which is affected by taking zero days or not, too.

If you want it enough, you'll figure out a way to do it...

Lilred
06-26-2008, 18:33
The first two people to ever do a thru hike both started in Mid May, and that was when the terminus was mt Ogelthorpe. Go for it.

rafe
06-26-2008, 18:42
May is doable, but you have to move snappy and minimize the zero days. You've got, say, 4.5 months = 135 days which means about 16 miles per day long term average to get to Katahdin in time. Well within the capabilities of a fit young 'un -- as long as you've got the discipline to keep at it, day after day.

fiddlehead
06-26-2008, 22:49
I started a NOBO thru in 1995 on May 9 and finished Oct 9.
Wasn't all that tough although i did some fairly big miles somewhere along the line. (I also had a knee problem that sent me home to recuperate for a week)

On the plus side, you won't have the crowds of people around although you will perhaps meet many of the type who say, "i'm here to have fun" and are partying their butts off. They might be a magnet to suck you into what they are doing.

I had to hitch up and back from the Smokies to catch trail days that year but it was worth it.
You won't need quite as much gear until you get to NH/ME as far as cold weather gear and a flashlight.
Not too late, have fun.

Pepper Beard
06-26-2008, 23:58
Go NOBO and you'll know by the time you reach Harpers Ferry if you need to flip-flop or not.

hammock engineer
06-27-2008, 09:10
You'll be fine. Look into southbound. There should be people in the same boat finishing or starting school around you.

Time To Fly 97
06-27-2008, 09:13
I completed my thru-hike on October 23rd. You can push the envelope a little. Hiking is fluid - you learn to not rely on itinerary but rather what feels good. Some days you will want to do big miles , some days you want to sleep in a little. Worry about flip flopping only if you need to - you'll know then better than you could ever guess now.

Happy hiking!

TTF

notorius tic
06-27-2008, 09:38
I Flip Flopped An got of the Trail due to Knee issues in PA Good thing I have alot of family there.. And caught a bus back to FL "after recouperating" Then flew to MAINE an hiked back.. Well worth the flip an the flop

Roughin' It
06-27-2008, 12:31
but if i decide to go SOBO, is May too early to start?
I don't like the idea of flip flopping at all, but if i have to do it I will.

rafe
06-27-2008, 13:11
but if i decide to go SOBO, is May too early to start?
I don't like the idea of flip flopping at all, but if i have to do it I will.

There will still be deep snow in May, in certain places. And as the snow melts, the streams will all be very high. And the ground will be soft... as in MUD. Spring is a tough time to be trekking in New England woods. And we haven't even talked about the insects yet.

buff_jeff
07-02-2008, 07:04
I started on May 10 and I only have until August 15 and I should be in New Jersey by then. You can certainly finish a thru.

A-Train
07-02-2008, 11:06
You've got plenty of time to go NOBO. Long, warm days at the start will breed miles.

Start with a light pack, resupply often (but leave town quick), limit zeros, be in good shape when you start, keep a positive attitude, forget about where the "herd" is, and you should be fine.

Have fun!

Scaper
07-03-2008, 01:27
If you don't mind warm weather mid May is a great time to start. In my opinion unless you llike winter weather Jan. Feb.and March is to early to start. I started my hike on May 5th and had plenty of time to finish on Oct. 9. You will also get to see the fall colors in Maine. Every year a number of hikers who start early bail out to town at the first sight of snow and end up spending money on motels and shutles.

Egads
07-03-2008, 06:20
It's never too late to start, maybe too late to finish. Go SOBO for increased odds

Heater
07-03-2008, 07:29
Hello,

-mitch

If you are in Lynchburg you are practically on the trail in Va. You could hike a big chunk of that state on days off school in the months leading up to a NOBO start in May. Especially if you have someone to shuttle cars with at the trailheads. It'd be like takin' a bunch of zeros early in the hike.

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 07:35
Took me 5.5 months to hike the trail at age 38. That was with something like 25 or 26 zero days. Any healthy and determined college student should have no trouble completing the trail in 5 months (or less).

Enjoy.