PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing and Weight

Chance09
06-26-2008, 18:45
Random question, but how much weight does seam sealing generally add to a tent? Yes i realize this is a broad question because tent sizes vary as do the amount of seams. I was just wondering because most manufacturers list their tent weight before seam sealing.

Hoop
06-26-2008, 18:54
Tube of SilNet sealer net weight = 1.5 oz.

Pedaling Fool
06-26-2008, 18:55
I doubt anyone knows the answer to that, although there are some crazy gram-weenies out there, so I could be wrong.

You could do the following:
1. Measure the area of the seams.
2. Then weigh a sheet of paper.
3. Then apply a very exact amount of seam sealer to the paper let it dry.
4. Then weigh the paper again.
5. Then do the math.

Then weigh your tent, apply the seam sealer, allow to dry, then weigh your tent again. Then you can try to figure out where you made your math mistake.

I need to get a life:sun

rafe
06-26-2008, 18:57
An ounce or two. That's serious gram-weeny business.

Chance09
06-26-2008, 19:02
You ever not on here terrapin? Or do you get WB updates right to your cell phone?;)

Thanks for the answer.

PS I'm not a gram-weeny, just simply curious. (and to those who are no offense)

Wags
06-27-2008, 08:59
i've actually been thinking about putting down a few lines of this on my tent floor to help me from sliding downhill overnight :D

envirodiver
06-27-2008, 11:40
i've actually been thinking about putting down a few lines of this on my tent floor to help me from sliding downhill overnight :D

Once upon a time I tried sticking some of those rough flowers, like you put on the bottom of your bathtub, on my sleeping pad to hold my bag in place on it. Didn't work. The flowers kept coming off when I rolled the pad up.

Dirtygaiters
06-27-2008, 12:19
If you're worried about adding weight to a tent (though I thought all or most tents already came seam-sealed or seam taped from the factory), there's another way. As far as silicone seam sealer goes, you can thin it with mineral spirits, and then paint it on with something like a foam brush. That way, you have the same coating, but much thinner, and therefore lighter.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-27-2008, 12:19
Couple of dime sized dots on both sides of your pad works too