PDA

View Full Version : Gear list feedback wanted

loonyhiker
02-20-2004, 13:35
Just out of curiosity: are you saying you are wearing 2 sports bras?

Alligator
02-20-2004, 15:20
Just out of curiosity: are you saying you are wearing 2 sports bras?

Now that's a woman I'd like to meet! But seriously, my suggestions.
Consider dropping the Yaktrax.
You are probably set on the hammock, but a 10X10 tarp is plenty sufficient.
Lose the deodorant.
Lose the bug repellent until bugs become a problem.
I'm guessing that the mayo bottle is for nightly pee deposits. If you can, do without it. If it's glass switch to plastic jar like peanut butter.
Leatherman Micra's are about $18.00 at target and weigh 1.75 oz, may be an improvement over multitool.
Why esbit tabs and an alcohol stove?

papa john
02-20-2004, 15:50
Maybe I missed it, but what are you going to wear when it gets cold? And it will get cold. Very cold. Especially in camp. Otherwise the list looks pretty good to me. I am not familier with the sleeping bag, what is the rating on the bag? Have you tested the hammock setup in cold weather? It can get very cold still in GA during March and April.

John

Blue Jay
02-20-2004, 15:55
Only wear the Yaktrax when you absolutely have to as they are not very durable. they are made for sidewalk use. You might consider in step crampons but that won't help with your weight.

Grimace
02-20-2004, 16:24
I didn't notice any waterproof shell or pants? Is that the packa?

What's an exerband?

Not sure I'm a big fan of the ankle braces. I have bad ankles from years of competitive ultimate frisbee. Tons of sprains. I use braces when I play and considered them for the AT. In the end I went without... Braces do too much work for you. Stress meant for the ankles will instead get absorbed by the knees. Then you'll use knee braces which will send stress up to your hips. If you go slow in the beginning, your ankles will quickly build up strength and cease to be problem. At least that happened for me. If you're worried about your joints, I stongly recommend hiking sticks/poles. Instinctively as you start to come down wrong on your ankle, you jam your poles into the ground taking all the weight off.

How about a lighter instead of matches.

surprisingly the AT is not that sunny. You may want to reconsider sunglasses. The weight is neglible though

I don't wear glasses. Do other people hike in those conditions with contacts? I imagine the dirt, grime, dripping sweat maybe huge obstacles to using them for 5-6 months.

I'm guessing those silnylon booties might be a hindrance. It's gonna be cold. Your feet are going to sweat up a storm w/o being able to breath. You'll get blisters and get cold. Sealskins might be better.

smokymtnsteve
02-20-2004, 16:27
instead of the toothpaste and soap ...I just carry a little doc brooners peppermint soap and use that to wash and brush teeth.

Cedar Tree
02-20-2004, 17:23
That is an excellent gear list, if I may say so.
Your choice of rain gear is exceptionally smart.
Cedar Tree

loonyhiker
02-20-2004, 17:34
I'm sorry and I didn't mean to get personal. Of course, me being from the lesser endowed group, I thought it was a typo. I agree with getting rid of the deoderant and bug spray though.

Max2001
02-20-2004, 20:50
I don't wear glasses. Do other people hike in those conditions with contacts? I imagine the dirt, grime, dripping sweat maybe huge obstacles to using them for 5-6 months.

I used contacts on my hike and never had a problem. I actually had less trouble with them then I do at home. (no lint from towels messing them up) I always carried a back up pair and had extras in my bounce box. I only carried a small saline bottle and refilled that from a big bottle in my bounce box.

azchipka
02-21-2004, 02:31
Things to consider changing or removing
mechanics' gloves (go to something a bit lighter)

silnylon tarp 10 x 10 (unless rain fly is heavier)

Walmart pad (i dont use a sleeping pad in my hammock but thats me)

rope (how much what length, consider para cord instead)

Antigravitygear modified alcohol stove

spork (replace with titianum chop sticks)

empty mayo bottle (ummm whats this for)

coffee filters (what are these for, if coffee i find coffee singles are lighter)

hair scrunchies (how many u need? cut the hair it will grow back in the time your on trail)

sunscreen (this is just me but i dont use it, granted i end up with a light burn sometimes but only the first time then it goes to tan)

Lemon Eucalyptus bug repellant (there are many things you can adjust to avoid having to need this even when the bugs are bad)

AT Companion book pages/maps (shrunk down) -only bring needed pages between drop boxs

deodorant (everyone on the trail smells its a fact of the trail place in drop box

contact lense case + solutions (switch to extended wear keep small amount of soultion with you and extra set of contacts in bounce box)

ear plugs (dont sleep at shelters and these wont be needed)

sewing needle (planing on giving yourself stiches?)

camp multitool (Swiss Army, minus the pen) - replace with basic pocket knife

ATM card, credit card, (open a paypal.com account and attach your credit card to the account, if your paypal balance goes to zero it will use the cc for funds - get the paypal debit card and you have both cards in one. PayPla is free to open an account.)

health insurance card (not needed the hospital will perform all neccesary things on you if you enter the hositpal in a condition unable to speak for yourself. Just know who your carrier is they can look up your info. I work as a vol EMT when not running around in the woods, and i promise i will help you even if you dont have one.)

emergency info (place label on DL with contact info or stop at a army surplus store and get med alert dog tags "red ones" and include contact info and health insurance info)

I am basing these changes off the quick response gear i have with me when on patrol. I have a few other items that i wont bring with me on a quick response but would keep for a trip like this one. Granted my quick response gear is still about 20 lbs but thats cause we have other items we have to have.

Just my 2 cents

azchipka
02-21-2004, 05:19
What do you do to avoid needing bug repellant?

Im not sure why but i knew that question was going to be coming i almost even included it in my responce before.

Digital Rangers Magic Ways Of Avoiding Blood Sucking Bugs

1. Purchase a anti-sent product, can be found in many hunting stores or military surplus stores, it can be purchased online at www.uscav.com, and a number of other locations. Before leaving on your adventure add the product to the water in your washing machine. DO NOT ADD SOAP!!!!!! When you dry your clothes do not add fabric softner. Now go play in the woods, for a few hours, do not work up a sweat. Apply anti-sent to your clothes per directions on container, most of the time via spray on.

What does this do? Blood suckers, and other animals of nature are attracted to scents that are not normal, humans are the most common targets for blood suckers because we tend to use all kinds of scents to make us smell "good", yes you smell like a big dinner for all the little flying nasties out in the woods.

2. NO NOT USE DEODERANT, PERFUMES, SCENTED SHAMPOO / CONDITIONER, or anything of this nature.

What does this do? See Above

3. Increase your intake of garlic.

What does this do? Not only is garlic good for you, in many ways health wise. After a good amount of intake it will slighty alter the properties of your blood resulting in a "bad taste". When I am in the back country I have garlic with every dinner meal I have. I also eat roasted garlic cloves (this may not work for you as some people dont like the taste of strong garlic). Fresh garlic works the best but almost any form of garlic will work. In a number of foods you wont even taste the garlic you have added, once you have the knack for it down, either that or im just used to it. Be warned if you just eat roasted garlic cloves dont go trying to get love from anyone as your breath may be kinda stinky. This is also what caused the whole thing of vampires being allergic to garlic, just in case you want some camp fire knowledge, that is completely worthless in the real world.

4. Hike at night. With out the aid of a white light flash light (use blue or red lenses. Bugs are attracted to lights. If you have never hiked at night before I suggest you do it with someone who has. In addition attempt to the best of your ability to hike with out the aid of lights, other night hikers who hike with out lights will thank you for it.

How do i see if i dont bring us a light? Before setting off on your adventure in the dark head away from the shelter area or any areas with lights and just sit down and close your eyes. Keep them closed for about five minutes then slowy reopen them. Stay sitting for about another 15 or 20 minutes and just let your eyes adjust to the darkness. You will find the longer you spend in the darkness the more you can see around you. Look at the shadows, notice the ways different shadows look. Look at the trail you will find that a well traveled route is either darker or lighter then the surrounding shadows, depending on the type of wilderness your in at the time. Most importantly when night hiking dont let the sounds of nature scare you. Night hiking is a completely different experiance then day hiking so ease in to it. The first night just hike a hour or so and do it when the sky is clear and the moon is out. Also know where important items are in your pack, so you can get to them easy. Night hiking is also great when the weather starts getting really hot. A suggestion when dealing with other night hikers who have decided to use a white light (youll see them coming from a huge distance, well before they see you). Step off the trail, and cover your eyes. I personaly step far enough off the trail so they walk by un-noticed, not because im anti-socail but you will find people commonly shine the flashlight right in your eyes, even if they dont mean to. If you reallly wanna have some fun with them making some growling noises from in the brush, jump out and yell bear, or reach out and grab ones leg. You should be forwarned that in my experiance most people dont find this as funny as you do after it has happened. I would highly suggest not doing this to anyone you dont know.

4b. Hike in the rain. Wings dont work well in rain, I dont mean like light rain I mean rain, like the kind any sane person would stay in the shelter and wait out.

5. Do not hike right after the rain has stopped, this is even more important in swampy areas.

6. Try to time your hiking, around your special time of the month. Attempt to not be in swampy, boggy areas. High alt locations are the best spot for you. DO NOT USE SCENTED PRODUCTS.

7. Drink lots of water. Flying blood suckers are attracted by your salty sweat.

8. Let your bodies immunie system do its job. Your body will build up its own defense to being bitten, well not being bitten but reacting to the chemical that is in the stinger, which will result in you not having little itchy bumps all over you. You will get to a point where you dont even notice you have been bit at all.

9. At the beginning of each morning get out of your hammock jump up and down on one leg 5 times while clapping your hands :clap , and say {items in caps sould be yelled} "I CALL UPON THE MAGIC OF THE DIGITAL RANGER. Protect me from the flying blood suckers I can not see." At this time lightly bit your arm then bit the arm of a fellow hiker, if another hiker is not around bit your other arm.

How on earth does this help with the bugs? Well thats easy all day long you will be thinking about how stupid you must look doing this you wont think about the bugs that are bitting you.

This all may sound silly but really works. Well 9 only works for people who care what other people think. A perfect example is a night i sleep in a shelter with about 10 other people, the shelter was attacked by a band of vampire's. I got bitten a few times but what pissed me off the most was the constant sound of there buzzing and the smacks and swear words of others in the shelter. I awake the next morning with about 7 bites. During breakfast everyone was around the campfire comparing bits.I was the only person who managed to get through the night with out having a bit on almost every inch of there body. One girl even packed up her stuff and went home that morning, because of the bugs.

The important thing to remember is the more you smell like a tasty human the better target you make.

smokymtnsteve
02-21-2004, 09:36
yea sounds good ..but deet works!

Kozmic Zian
02-21-2004, 10:00
Yea.....Pack stuff. Tracy, Tracy. Too much stuff. Your list is very thoughful and conclusive, but it's just too much stuff. You need to lighten up, girl. Get rid of all the little extra stuff, that's what adds up, an oz. here, an oz. there. Stick to basic things, Sleeping gear, clothing, fowl weather gear, and food. Just remember, you're only going, at most on a weeks walk, before you find a town with whatever it is that you need. It's easy to get this thing (Hiking The AT) out of perspective. Most everything you need is in town. Start with enought gear and food to get you there. Think, I only have to go to Bla,Bla, ville.....to get that extra thingy I need. You'll be much happier, hiking with out all the little extras........Simplicity is The Key.....KZ@

2XL
02-21-2004, 21:02
Here's a link to Cabela's for scent eliminators:

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/subcategory/subcategory.jhtml?id=cat600347&navAction=push&navCount=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=category&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fcatego ry-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712

My brother uses scent eliminator for hunting, I never even considered it for hiking use.

statler
02-21-2004, 22:23
I just read this over and saw how long it is. Sorry! I think you've done a really good job! These are my thoughts on everything:

Clothing:
Except in the arctic, I only ever have three layers each for top & bottom:

wicking (worn)
fleece or primaloft midlayer (worn or in pack)
rain/wind shell (worn or in pack)

I keep extra layers in my bounce box or maildrops; for example I might start out with a long sleeve midweight wicking shirt, and swap it for a lightweight wicking tank top in June. So, I think carrying your silk base layer top AND the long sleeve wick shirt is overkill.

Many women resort to the 2 sportsbra thing. I've solved this problem by purchasing bras from http://www.title9sports.com/ Expensive, but well worth the weight savings & comfort level.

I've traded my watch in on a compass/thermometer/clock combo I found at Walmart for $9.

In Pack:
Are you using both trash compactor liners at once? If not, toss your back-up in the bounce box too.

Same with extra hair scrunchies. You can always use a bandana or rope in an emergency. Same with spare batteries for your light and camera, unless those items can't go a week on a single set. (If this is the case with your light, go buy a new light.)

Empty mayo bottle? Why? It's not glass is it?

Lose the deoorant. Replace the bio. soap with Purell. Add a back-up light source.

For your blister kit, I would use duct tape w/ Spenco second skin pads if things get really bad. Add a few band-aids and the neosporin for other injuries. Use a light powder if chafing is a problem. Carrying moleskin, liquid skin, gauze, body glide, duct tape, and everything else seems overkill again. Unless you have to take injections , skip the alcohol wipes. Clean a wound with water and then slobber on some neosporin.

I've given up the comb and just keep my hair in a braid until I hit town. It gets too nasty to want to comb it anyway.

Every woman I know who uses the Keeper has given up and switched to tampons after a few months on trail. It's just too hard to keep clean. You have to carry extra fuel to sterilize it and the weight savings may be negligible. YMMV.

Coffee Filters aren't needed. Toss cold water into the brew and the grounds drop to the bottom. Just pour off the top & enjoy. Once you master this, you'll have a skill that will serve you well forever. Or you could just use Folgers singles.

Sleep System:
I don't do the Hammock thing, so I'm just guessing, but don't the underquilt and Walmart pad accomplish the same thing?

Contacts are no problem on the trail, but when it gets cold at night make sure they and your saline are in your sleeping bag with you. (I'm not sure how much cold weather camping experience you have but I also keep cameras, batteries, and water bottles in my bag on cold nights.)

Boots:
I'm not sure of your foot system needs. I use a brace on my left ankle, but I bought regular ankle-high boots that fit around it. (I had my boots fit by a Phil Oren System outfitter.) I only need a liner sock and a smart wool sock, and I'm covered under all conditions. My feet are never wet, and I have traction on snow and ice.

Good pack list & I hope to see you on the trail.

Statler

azchipka
02-22-2004, 00:41
azchipka: I tried searching at that site but couldn't find what you described. Maybe I'm just tired today. Do you have a more specific URL for anti-sent?

I saw Bug Bands at that site, though. Those look promising if they're pesticide-free, anyone have experience with those?

Kozmic Zian: you're probably right. Could you post what you'd exclude?

Thanks. :)

The bug bands work ok from what I have been told, I used to keep one in my pack for really bad days, but i was never overly bothered anyways so I am not sure how much was due to braclet and how much as due to wrist band. REI also sells a pair of pants that are coated with the same material as the band you may want to look at that.

AS A FYI: The no scent will also help to keep animals and stuff out of your bag if used on your other equipment.

foodbag
02-26-2004, 10:52
That's a pretty comprehensive list. I agree with the commentary of getting rid of some of the little things. In 1999 I hiked for a while with a great guy whose "little things" bag weighed about 5 lbs. Seriously!

I would keep the sunblock though. March in the South can be very beautiful, sometimes in the high 70's and there won't be any leaves on the trees for a while. I know, I got fried on the back of my legs and thighs in March. :jump

The Scribe
02-26-2004, 12:29
Thanks TracyAM and everyone for their input on this thread. I am hoping to tackle the AT next year in some fashion and have taken a lot of this advice to heart. This year will be spent doing some serious hiking here in Maine. This give me a starting point on collecting gear. Thanks to all.