PDA

View Full Version : shuttles

rainmaker
06-26-2008, 23:11
Madame and I are beginning to plan our fall section hike. We plan to start at DWG and end in either Dalton or Williamstown, Mass. We would like to leave our car in DWG and get a shuttle back when we finish. We are open to both public transportation and private shuttles. Does anyone have any ideas they woiuld like to share? Thanks.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 23:20
Have you checked bus options or the ATC shuttle list?

http://tinyurl.com/5kn9qy

Alligator
06-26-2008, 23:47
There is bus service at DWG, (PA side) and there is bus service to Pittsfield, MA, a few miles from Dalton. You probably would go through NYC.

Tin Man
06-26-2008, 23:51
There is bus service at DWG, (PA side) and there is bus service to Pittsfield, MA, a few miles from Dalton. You probably would go through NYC.

That would probably be cheapest way to do it, but long time I would think. Check the bus schedules on the link from the ATC link I provided.

rafe
06-27-2008, 00:04
I've done Port Authority to Lehigh Gap by bus a couple of times. Martz Trailways has frequent runs between Port Authority (in NYC) and DWG. From the Mass MoCa website I found this: Bonanza Bus Lines (800.556.3815) services Williamstown (from both Boston and NYC).

ATSeamstress
06-27-2008, 00:50
Try Greg Peters from the ATC list. He shuttled us recently.

Alligator
06-27-2008, 09:58
I didn't remember at first, but the DWG station is listed as Stroudsburg. (It's about 1-2 miles from the trail in DWG, I walked it once.) I ran that through Greyhound (but its a Trailways bus) and one option was an 8:00 am from Stroudsbrg to Pittsfield arrives 2:25 pm. That was for Monday 6/30. Saturday 6/28 for the same run was 8:40 to 4:45. It was $69 though, but I noticed from your age that you are just young enough to get the senior discount:sun.

You've got two people, so perhaps a car shuttle might be affordable, but it was a little over 200 miles to Pittsfield form DWG. That's 400 miles of driving for the shuttler. Unless something fortuitous turns up that might be expensive.

If you do decide on the bus, play around with bus schedules though as the runs change a lot and always call before leaving to make sure they haven't changed the schedule.

I don't know about Williamstown at all. I used Pittsfield because I recently decided to use that as an endpoint myself.

rafe
06-27-2008, 10:24
Gator -- there's a Martz bus station right in DWG; it's down the hill and partway back up, a five-minute stroll from the church hostel. There's a map on the Martz Trailways website showing the location of the bus stop in DWG.

Alligator
06-27-2008, 11:57
Gator -- there's a Martz bus station right in DWG; it's down the hill and partway back up, a five-minute stroll from the church hostel. There's a map on the Martz Trailways website showing the location of the bus stop in DWG.OK it's 4000 feet to the trail. Sorry, I walked across the bridge and back that day:p. It's easily walkable. Just realize DWG is not in the system, it's Stroudsburg (not the park and ride either).