PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Z pack

2Ply
02-20-2004, 14:19
Has anyone used the Z pack and how did it work out? I looked at the G pack but it was too small for my gear, I'm not an ultra lighter but geting by with less on each trip. The Z pack seems to be right for the gear I carry. I have a Go light Speed I can use during the summer but want a little more space for Spring and Fall.

Flippy
02-21-2004, 03:50
I tried the pack on at REI with 35 lbs of gear and food (5 days), and quite soon I felt discomfort in my shoulders. The staff adjusted the pack several times and I walked around the store for nearly an hour, but the hipbelt doesn’t seem to be substantial enough to bare the weight and keep it off your shoulders. :( I really like the features and design of the pack, but maybe with a lighter load (25 lbs) it would be okay .:-?

statler
02-21-2004, 05:00
I had a similar experience trying this pack at EMS yesterday. However, I didn't have my gear with me, so I was trying the pack using their stupid sandbag weights. It felt great at about ten pounds, but when I added the 15 lb sandbag I felt like I wasn't even using a hipbelt.

I am going to bring my gear in and try out the pack again next week. Hopefully having the weight properly distributed will help? I did notice that Grace (2004 NOBO) is using this pack with ~ 35 lb packweight. I sent her e-mail to find out how that was going. I'll keep you posted.

statler
02-21-2004, 20:10
My bad, Grace's pack weight is ~25 lbs. She said she had the same problem at first, but corrected it by fully tightening the shoulder support straps. She also suggested to take care that the hip belt is at or on the hip line. This bears with my experience with Gregory's which ride a little higher than other packs.

A good, comprehensive review of the Z is here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Gregory%20Z-Pack/Coy%20Starnes/Field%20Report/

This guy also notes that it's a great pack for 25 pounds, but breaks down a little at 35.

Statler

lowthesd
02-21-2004, 20:45
I had a Gregory G-pack and my second time out with it on a 3-day Mt Marcy hike, with 22lbs in it, the shoulder strap ripped off on my descent on the 2nd day. I used 5 safety pins (Luckily I brought my repair kit). I switched to the Osprey Aether 60 and that is a FAR superior pack. Just some info, take it how you wish.

statler
02-24-2004, 18:38
I've heard nothing but great things about the Osprey Aether 60/Ariel 60 (men's/women's version). That's the pack I tried first, but I just couldn't get the straps to stop pinching my neck. I always have that problem with Osprey packs.

Too bad, because everyone seems to rave about them.