PDA

View Full Version : Another Underwear Question

freidame
06-27-2008, 12:29
This may be a silly question but do you wash your underwear everyday or less often? Do you wash any other pieces of your clothes while on the trail or just at laundromats?

Blissful
06-27-2008, 14:39
I washed in town. I carried three pairs of underwear and another to wear at night. Since I used mini pads, the underwear lasted longer that way. :)

Bearpaw88
06-27-2008, 22:26
I rinsed them when need be on trail, but washed then in town. By the time the weather got into the 80's I only wore them at night as they chafed too much while hiking. It's not a silly question just practical.

angewrite
06-27-2008, 22:30
Didn't bother with underwear. I also hiked in a skirt. I always kept cottenelle wet wipes with me to help keep feeling clean and fresh :-)

Lillianp
07-02-2008, 15:32
angewrite, when hiking without underwear, how do you deal with your period? (I hope this isn't too personal!)
Em

Marta
07-02-2008, 15:34
It all depends. In hot weather, rinse out every day. In cold weather, not so much.

Big Sky
07-02-2008, 17:58
I skip the underwear. I've got two pair of patagonia boy shorts (super comfortable and fun colors!) that I just love, but I never really see the need for actually wearing them. One less thing to worry about IMHO.

Erin
07-02-2008, 22:03
Wicking undies work great. Whatever brand as long as they are the wicking ones. I wash them out in the evenings and they are dry in the AM. I took two pair for five days. One on and one clean. I had that monthly issue. I washed them out in a baggie away from the water source with a little campmore soap. Presto, clean. I have not seen the boy shorts in my size to go sans panties, but what a great idea too.

Lucinda
07-07-2008, 21:17
angewrite, when hiking without underwear, how do you deal with your period? (I hope this isn't too personal!)
Em

I've been using The Keeper for years: http://www.keeper.com/. I've gone all day with only emptying it once, with no adverse affects. And there is no leakage and I don't even know I've got it in.

Dancer
07-11-2008, 13:36
Em

The Depo Shot is great (but not for all women). I have no period at all. Start it well before a long hike though so you know if it's right for you. Some women I know have had frequent spotting with it. That is worse than a period!

Also if you are on the pill you can skip the placebo week and go right into the next pack. I've had my doctor ok that for special trips over the years. Would work if you are expecting your period on an upcoming weekend hike.

Have also heard good things about the Keeper and Diva Cup if you can't take the medical route.

Good luck and happy hiking.

Big Sky
07-11-2008, 20:02
Have also heard good things about the Keeper and Diva Cup if you can't take the medical route.

I, too, have heard really awesome things about the Diva cup. I only get 4 periods of year through the awesomeness of science, so I'll be trying it in about 2 months. 4 a year doesn't give you much time for testing such things but hey, I'm not gonna complain :D