PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty of Hightower Gap to Coopers Gap section?

simplysql
06-27-2008, 12:44
We are going tomorrow - I've read that this section - starting at Hightower is one of the hardest in GA. It looks like about 4 miles between these two - we were going to do the roundtrip, park at Hightower, hike to Coopers, then back to the car. I was considering a shuttle, which we've never done...or would that make more sense, then hike past Coopers to maybe Gooch Gap? Any suggestions from those with experience would definitely be appreciated. We are fairly new at this -

Lone Wolf
06-27-2008, 12:51
it's not that tough at all.

bigmac_in
06-27-2008, 12:57
Definitely not that difficult. The hardest part will be Sassafrass Mountain, which is a pretty good climb, but still not THAT difficult, especially since you are only talking about 3.5 miles total hike.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 13:00
Nothing in GA, with the possible exception of walking up Tray Mtn. is as difficult as what lies just north the the GA/NC line. Blood Mtn is a good hump, but it is no Mt Albert.

simplysql
06-27-2008, 13:00
do y'all think maybe go straight on to Gooch Gap? Thanks again for the advice - we're fairly new at this - I don't want to completely wear out my family - but I want it to be a good hike.

Thanks!!

simplysql
06-27-2008, 13:02
We did Blood from the parking lot about 3 weeks ago - it seemed fairly difficult, as we're just beginners - and actually did that one in our tennis shoes (now have better equipment). The view from the top made the pain getting there seem worthwhile!! Also, the folks at the Mountain Crossings Store were fabulous - they helped us map out a circular route, and were very encouraging.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 13:05
do y'all think maybe go straight on to Gooch Gap? Thanks again for the advice - we're fairly new at this - I don't want to completely wear out my family - but I want it to be a good hike.

Thanks!!

If you are taking kids that changes it a bit. Plan on a walking pace of not more that one MPH and budget your time accordingly.

MOWGLI
06-27-2008, 13:06
I donno. I swear I saw the attached trail sign on that section. :rolleyes:

simplysql
06-27-2008, 13:08
actually we slow my daughter (8) down. She has finished each section in front, cheering on her sagging and wilting parents :)

Dances with Mice
06-27-2008, 13:10
We are going tomorrow - I've read that this section - starting at Hightower is one of the hardest in GA. It looks like about 4 miles between these two - we were going to do the roundtrip, park at Hightower, hike to Coopers, then back to the car. I was considering a shuttle, which we've never done...or would that make more sense, then hike past Coopers to maybe Gooch Gap? Any suggestions from those with experience would definitely be appreciated. We are fairly new at this -Hightower to Gooch only has one significant climb, Sassafrass Mtn., and it's a lot easier (...and shadier...) than Blood. Most of the way you're just walking on a ridge just above, almost next to, a road. I'd shoot for Gooch if a shuttle is possible.

Berserker
06-27-2008, 13:45
I agree with the others in that it's not bad. Sassafrass Mtn is quite a huff though so be warned about that. As far as going on to Gooch Gap, there is another small, yet annoying climb mixed in there (Justis Mtn.), but once you get down the other side of that it is pretty smooth sailing.

Make sure to watch out for the poison ivy...it's freakin everywhere!

Berserker
06-27-2008, 13:50
Nothing in GA, with the possible exception of walking up Tray Mtn. is as difficult as what lies just north the the GA/NC line. Blood Mtn is a good hump, but it is no Mt Albert.

Really? I thought Tray wasn't bad at all. It's a nice consistent grade so one can get into a good groove going up it. The ones I thought were particularly hard were Wildcat and Rocky mountains. I do agree with the area just North of the border though, those two suckers were tough.

MOWGLI
06-27-2008, 14:32

Mt. Albert is short but steep. Blood Mountain from the south is a walk in the park. So is Standing Indian. Nothing in the south even compares to New England for difficulty. Nothing.

max patch
06-27-2008, 14:53
Only you know how many miles your daughter can make in a day and is what you have to make your decision on.

You can backtrack as you said and it is a 7 mile trip.

Or you can shuttle and go to Gooch Gap and its 8.3 miles.

If it was me -- and I thot my child could handle 8.3 miles -- I'd take 2 cars and self shuttle. Thats an easy section to shuttle; get on 42 and drop one car off at Gooch and then keep on going to Hightower.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2008, 14:59
make a loop using FS road 42. i walk it all the time

max patch
06-27-2008, 15:06
Thats not a bad option either if you don't mind road walking. 42 pretty much pararrels the trail from hightower to coopers so the distance is about the same.

MOWGLI
06-27-2008, 15:10
Mt. Albert is short but steep. Blood Mountain from the south is a walk in the park. So is Standing Indian. Nothing in the south even compares to New England for difficulty. Nothing.

Sorry Simplysql. I missed the part about this being a family hike. Disregard the above and enjoy yourselves!

Sly
06-27-2008, 17:17

Albert Mt. is only .3 mi and you get to use your hands! :cool:

rafe
06-27-2008, 17:33

Agree in general but MapMan (I think it was him) has some data in the Articles section that shows Georgia's vertical change-per-mile to be surprisingly high. IIRC, the real fun begins just north of NOC. And "New England" doesn't really get gnarly 'till you get to Glencliff.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 21:32

So I've heard, I hope to find out for myself one day.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 21:35
Really? I thought Tray wasn't bad at all. It's a nice consistent grade so one can get into a good groove going up it. The ones I thought were particularly hard were Wildcat and Rocky mountains. I do agree with the area just North of the border though, those two suckers were tough.

I think it matters a lot what time of day you hit some of these climbs, and what you did in the past day or two, and of course how much food and water you are hauling. Lighter is always better.

trailmomma4
06-27-2008, 23:47
Make sure you have enough water. There is no water until Justus Gap. Sassafras was difficult for me and my oldest son, however my 13-year-old did okay.

Bulldawg
06-27-2008, 23:53

I thought Tray was a breeze. In fact my 6 year old is begging to do supper at the shelter area on the north side of Tray Sunday. Not IN THE SHELTER mind you, but at the great views there close to the shelter. He actually asks to climb Tray regularly, he loves it!! Anyway, there are several climbs in Georgia that in my opinion are much worse than Tray. Can anyone say Kelly Knob at the end of a day???:eek::eek:

Bulldawg
06-27-2008, 23:55
make a loop using FS road 42. i walk it all the time

Really, you down here often. I'd like to hike with you sometime when you are in the area. I probably couldn't keep up, but you could always take a break waiting on me. That's my daughter does. She says if she hikes faster than me she gets to take longer breaks!:eek::eek:

simplysql
06-28-2008, 07:01
thanks for all the great comments - I think we will stick to Cooper Gap, maybe loop back via 42 - this is a great board. Thanks for sharing all of your experience with us. I will report back on Monday :)

notorius tic
06-28-2008, 08:43
I agree Tray is fun an Blood was a Bear but it was worth it AT the top (the Views an the tunnels were

simplysql
06-29-2008, 10:05
We did Hightower to Cooper - it was fantastic! I still think Blood Mountain was more difficult - but my wife would disagree! We ended up taking 42 back to our car at Hightower - about the same distance, but without the severe changes in elevation. Lots of fun - did not see any other hikers on this part of the trail - first time that has happened to us. Hopefully next weekend will be Cooper to Gooch...

Lyle
06-29-2008, 10:48
Just did my first hiking on the southern AT in May. I don't think anything in GA lived up to the hype regarding difficulty. Blood mountain from the south was not bad at all, would be much worse from the north. The approach trail wasn't all that bad either. I was surprised that NC was much more difficult in regard to routing, steepness and tread quality, starting with the never-ending climb from Bly Gap. Everything has to do with your expectations, time of day, and your physical/mental condition at the time. Take everyone's assessments with this in mind.

MoodyBluer
06-29-2008, 18:02
I thought Tray was a breeze. In fact my 6 year old is begging to do supper at the shelter area on the north side of Tray Sunday. Not IN THE SHELTER mind you, but at the great views there close to the shelter. He actually asks to climb Tray regularly, he loves it!! Anyway, there are several climbs in Georgia that in my opinion are much worse than Tray. Can anyone say Kelly Knob at the end of a day???:eek::eek:

I agree w/ you re: Kelly Knob...a lot of hikers approach it later in the day trying to get to Deep Gap Shelter and it is a real butt kicker from that perspective. I personally think that for newb's those climbs over Sassafras, Justus and Ramrock (as short as it is) is where quite a few of them make their decision to bail out (if they haven't already done so on the approach trail).

I don't understand folks who expound on Albert Mtn for toughness...it's only 3/10 of a mile and there is a short section of Stone Mtn here in the ATL that I think is just as hard. Albert iced over or on a really rainy day would be tough though.

Bulldawg
06-29-2008, 20:51
I agree w/ you re: Kelly Knob...a lot of hikers approach it later in the day trying to get to Deep Gap Shelter and it is a real butt kicker from that perspective. I personally think that for newb's those climbs over Sassafras, Justus and Ramrock (as short as it is) is where quite a few of them make their decision to bail out (if they haven't already done so on the approach trail).

I don't understand folks who expound on Albert Mtn for toughness...it's only 3/10 of a mile and there is a short section of Stone Mtn here in the ATL that I think is just as hard. Albert iced over or on a really rainy day would be tough though.

I am a map freak and no one had warned me about Kelly Knob prior to my section hike there. But I am one of those guys who will almost always pull out a map at every gap. I got to Sassafras Gap on my first afternoon and looked ahead to the next two climbs and decided to just stop right there. Georgia is pretty tough no doubt. I know some say it isn't, but there are some pretty good climbs here, that's why I love living within 20 miles of it here.