PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape

Aussie922
06-27-2008, 22:16
I've read a lot of articles on how to get in shape to hike, but have realized that just about all of them are written by men. When getting (and staying) in shape, what do you do differently or the same as the guys? What are your fitness regimes like? What has helped and what would you do differently?

Freeleo
06-27-2008, 22:20
swimming is egalitarian and no stress or impact on the joints

i swim daily as part of my training...great aerobic and anaerobic:sun

Bearpaw88
06-27-2008, 22:48
I saw a sports medicine doctor before I left about some knee pain. He mentioned woman in general need to strengthen there hips more than men do. I did a month of it before I left for the AT this year and I know it helped. You can do a search on hip strengthening and you should fine some good work outs.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 22:48
swimming is egalitarian and no stress or impact on the joints

i swim daily as part of my training...great aerobic and anaerobic:sun

Not good training for carrying a pack, the SEALS found this out decades ago. Swimming doesn't load the skeleton like weight bearing exercise and can contribute to bone loss if weight training isn't done in addition.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 22:50
I've read a lot of articles on how to get in shape to hike, but have realized that just about all of them are written by men. When getting (and staying) in shape, what do you do differently or the same as the guys? What are your fitness regimes like? What has helped and what would you do differently?

Go here and check it out, lots of hard body women:

www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

Bearpaw88
06-27-2008, 22:59
A good site and info strengthening hips
http://www.strength-training-woman.com/hip-strength-training.html

Aussie922
06-27-2008, 23:04
I saw a sports medicine doctor before I left about some knee pain. He mentioned woman in general need to strengthen there hips more than men do. I did a month of it before I left for the AT this year and I know it helped. You can do a search on hip strengthening and you should fine some good work outs.

Did the knee pain come as a result of weak hips?

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 23:42
A good site and info strengthening hips
http://www.strength-training-woman.com/hip-strength-training.html

That article is BS, if you do barbell squats properly, with the bar on your back, chest, and extended overhead, you'll have strong hips, and lot of other strong muscles. Anytime some trainer tells you that you need to isolate muscles to train them properly you should know he is an ignoramus. We never, ever use our muscles in an isolated fashion in real life so why train that way? That is bodybuilding bunk.

modiyooch
06-28-2008, 00:18
As I scaled Old Speck and other areas, I was thankful that I had some rock climbing training.

Lucinda
07-02-2008, 11:53
I do a lot of endurance training (trail ultramarathons, 100-mile bike rides, etc.). I find that good cardio capacity helps when you're hiking for hours on end. You don't need to do as much as I do, but I think some running and cycling helps, especially if you train on hills and trails (mountain biking, trail running, etc). You get some strength and core conditioning as well.

I also do a couple of resistance training sessions and stretching each week. I have a rack of dumbells at home, but now I use resistance bands, medicine and stability balls more. There is a lot you can do with very simple equipment and there's no need to join a gym.

I think the key is to cross train and have resistance training and stretching in the mix. It gives you some interesting variety as well as strengthening your core and helping to prevent injuries.

I'm not sure that I do a lot differently from men, but I seem to have more endurance than they do, while they have more power and strength. That's why it's important for me to keep my pack weight down when hiking.

Hoop
07-02-2008, 12:30
As take-a-knee mentioned, it's hard to train for carrying a pack unless you strap one on. All kinds of regimens to get strong & improve endurance; you're good to go.

Bearpaw88
07-02-2008, 12:33
Did the knee pain come as a result of weak hips?

It was a combination of weak hips and over pronation of my feet. I got custom insoles for my shoes and did hip strengthening before I left. However, by Neel's Gap I needed to buy a pair of Cho Pat dual action knee straps and they saved the beginning of my hike. I wore them for 150 miles then I didn't need them anymore. I also had to learn to walk differently on trail. It sounds weird, but I had to walk with my legs farther apart, my toes pointed more inward, and my knees pulled out a bit. It took 100 or so miles to get used to, but after that I had absolutely no more knee pain!:)

Bearpaw88
07-02-2008, 12:36
That article is BS, if you do barbell squats properly, with the bar on your back, chest, and extended overhead, you'll have strong hips, and lot of other strong muscles. Anytime some trainer tells you that you need to isolate muscles to train them properly you should know he is an ignoramus. We never, ever use our muscles in an isolated fashion in real life so why train that way? That is bodybuilding bunk.

Thanks for the information and input. I don't claim to be an expert. All I know is that many of the exorcises on that site both my sports medicine Dr. and physical therapist advised me to use.

Marta
07-02-2008, 12:43
IMO, the best thing is to hike, especially taking weekend backpacking trips. During the week, walk at least an hour a day. If you do enough walking, your particular problems will start to surface before you set off on your long hike. You can seek advice to deal with those particular problems before they become critical. Weak knees? Bad feet? Sore back? Find out if it's your problem, then seek advice on dealing with it.

I got some useful pre-hike advice from a sports-oriented chiropractor, who has a PT guy in his office. They gave me an exercise routine that dealt with my particular weaknesses.

take-a-knee
07-02-2008, 12:51
Thanks for the information and input. I don't claim to be an expert. All I know is that many of the exorcises on that site both my sports medicine Dr. and physical therapist advised me to use.

I'm no expert either but I consider the crossfit trainers to be exactly that. The average MD is in horrible physical condition, they die younger than any other profession. The average Reg PT is much more likely to be fit. I'm not telling you to ignore the advice of either, just consider the source. Science hasn' offered much to the athletic community except steroids, most scientific endevour in the fitness realm has been to play catch up and try to explain the success of various innovative trainers. The empirical method rules.

take-a-knee
07-02-2008, 12:56
IMO, the best thing is to hike, especially taking weekend backpacking trips. During the week, walk at least an hour a day. If you do enough walking, your particular problems will start to surface before you set off on your long hike. You can seek advice to deal with those particular problems before they become critical. Weak knees? Bad feet? Sore back? Find out if it's your problem, then seek advice on dealing with it.

I got some useful pre-hike advice from a sports-oriented chiropractor, who has a PT guy in his office. They gave me an exercise routine that dealt with my particular weaknesses.

Sound advice, I would only add that strength training is mandatory, not optional. Walking (climbing?) down the south side of Mt Albert a couple of weeks ago drove the point home how essential STRONG hips, thighs and calves are to prevent injury or a catastrophic fall while carrying a pack. Running/cycling WILL NOT produce the strength required.

Marta
07-02-2008, 13:03
Sound advice, I would only add that strength training is mandatory, not optional. Walking (climbing?) down the south side of Mt Albert a couple of weeks ago drove the point home how essential STRONG hips, thighs and calves are to prevent injury or a catastrophic fall while carrying a pack. Running/cycling WILL NOT produce the strength required.

I agree that there's a huge difference between walking/running/cycling on pavement or smooth trails, and the unrelenting twisting that your feet/ankles/knees/hips get when hiking.

Bear Cables
07-07-2008, 19:39
As a physical educator, for what it's worth, I would suggest a variety of aerobic training such as bicycling long distance, elipital, stairmaster ( the kind that looks like an escalator cut short.) Core strenghtening such as pilates, reformer pilates is very good overall for flexibility, core and back strength. Strenght training with dumbells, resistance bands or weight machines. Most important to strengthen quads, flexiblility in hamstrings, strong core and upper back. Strong glutes and a wide range of motion in the hip flexors. Do this all year round as part of your lifestyle.

My personal workout is elipical or biking 3 times a week . 30-45 min on the elipical and at least an hour on bike. Reformer Pilates 2X week. Stairmaster when the hike gets closer.

Roots
07-07-2008, 20:20
When I did my Springer to Newfound Gap section in April, I was thanking GOD for all the hours of training I did. A lot of people just start hiking with no physical preparation. I DO NOT know how they can do it.

I go to the gym 5 days a week, unless I am able to hike, instead. I do 40 to 60 minute cardio and 2 to 3 days I do weight training. The best cardio, for me, is the eliptical. We also have a Summit climber, which is like a eliptical and stair climber all in one. I love that machine. The cardio training really helped my endurance level.

When I am not in the gym I am hiking with full pack weight--25 to 30 lbs. That, IMO, is the biggest trainer. I did A LOT of training this way before my hike and still do. It really helped me get up and down the mountains with a lot more ease.

Lucinda
07-07-2008, 21:09
This is a good article on training for backpacking: http://www.bodyresults.com/S2BWThiking.asp. It covers all the variables.

And lots of good articles here: http://www.bodyresults.com/e1articles.asp.

Something you may want to work on as well is balance. I find it helps to be nimble on some of the more technical trails (lots of rocks and roots). You can have fun with a wobble board that will help with balance as well as strengthening your ankles and lower legs. I've found that the skills I've learned in rock climbing have really helped me confidently handle the more technical trails.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of regular stretching sessions. I find that my hip flexors and piriformis tend to get very tight, which leads to IT band problems for me. Rolling my legs on a foam roller and using The Stick just before I go for a run or bike ride really seem to help. And, of course, massages always feel great!

Frau
07-07-2008, 21:31
I agree with Marta--to hike, I hike. I increase my speed and elevations, inclines, declines and pack weight. I also do some trail running. For fun I canoe and kayak, as well as motor- and bi-cycle.

Of course I am not a through hiker, but what I have done works for me.

Frau

Lillianp
07-08-2008, 09:17
I'm not thru-hiking until 2010, but I'm trying to start now getting in a good regimen. I haven't done much strength training as of yet, but I know that my knees are going to be a problem. Hopefully, by losing weight and doing some weight training focusing specifically on my legs that will help reduce the problems in my knees.
Right now, I go walking for several miles every day. Its on flat ground, but its the best I've got for now, so that's what I'm doing. It also helps-because I have less time to snack which is a really horrible habit I have. I'll be talking to the person at the gym at work and see what I can do about strengthening my hips alongside my knees. I'm taking the "Abs and Back" class here and I'm already noticing improvement in my core (I can go longer in the class without my muscles being like..no! No! I can't, no more!).

Mags
07-08-2008, 09:23
Excuse the Y chromosome for a bit, but the best article, IMO, for backpacking prep was written right here on WB:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425Worth checking out...

tenlots
07-12-2008, 21:38
I took 3 years to figure out that cardio is the best helper to breath and hike mountains at the same time. I did the stairmaster(or gauntlet) 1 hour and alternated with setting the treadmill at the max incline at 2 mph and don't hold on for 1 hour. you will sweat and take your time getting up to the hour. I alternated these 3 times per week and did weight training also. my knees were junk and cut short one hike after 30 miles. I had pt for my knees and these exercises strengthened my core muscles. If you want the particulars just email me. Hope this helps. I am still learning and reading what works for other people. tenlots

Frosty
07-12-2008, 22:41
I can't emphasize enough the importance of regular stretching sessions. I find that my hip flexors and piriformis tend to get very tight, which leads to IT band problems for me. Rolling my legs on a foam roller and using The Stick just before I go for a run or bike ride really seem to help.Not sure I can picture this. Can you describe your hip flexor stretching?

Lucinda
07-13-2008, 16:06
Not sure I can picture this. Can you describe your hip flexor stretching?

This is one exercise I do: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html

And another: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/LyingHipFlexor.html

For my piriformis: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipExternalRotators/LyingPiriformis.html

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipExternalRotators/LyingPiriformisMod.html

I do the pigeon pose as well, but I stand at the end of a table and fold my leg on top of the table while standing on the straight leg. Then I reach across the table: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/863

I do other stretching as well, but those are the main exercises.

I love the foam roller. If you can handle the pain/pressure, this is the best roller I've found: http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx?ID=4918&CategoryID=235&c1=Pricegrabber&source=Pricegrabber. It's really hard and not "squishy" like some rollers. I use the roller for working out my IT band and piriformis:

http://www.deskjockeyfitness.com/FeaturedExercises/0603PiriformisFoamRollerRelease.html

And IT band: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller_5.htm

A tennis ball is even better if you can handle the pain....