PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying Appalachian Trail Book

deadhorsejoe
06-27-2008, 23:57
Back in the late 60's/early 70's I read a book about a fellow that thru-hiked the AT. It is the book that first introduced me to the AT and I would like to try to find a copy and re read it. I could not put it down when I first read it as a teenager. If I remember correctly he had just gotten out of one of the branches of the service (I want to say paratrouper). It was written in diary style (again if memory serves. Its been 35 or 40 years). I know thats not a lot of info but was hoping it might ring a bell with someone. Thanks in advance for any help that you might give.

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2008, 23:59
It could well be the first (and best) thru-hiker memoir, that of proud World War II veteran Earl Shaffer, who was the first person to thru-hike the Trail, back in 1948.

The book is called Walking With Spring, and is still in print.

dmax
06-28-2008, 00:54
Is there a new book out, about Earl? I heard there might be a short one. If there is one, is it any good?

7Sisters
06-28-2008, 05:44
Dmax

It's called Ode to the Appalachian Trail and is about his 1998 thru hike. A very different read from Walking with Spring, but still good. I enjoyed it a lot.

A quick read as the entire book is 55 pages and full of interesting pictures.

I wrote a mini review on trailplace: http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478

Roland
06-28-2008, 05:53
Dmax

It's called Ode to the Appalachian Trail and is about his 1998 thru hike. A very different read from Walking with Spring, but still good. I enjoyed it a lot.

A quick read as the entire book is 55 pages and full of interesting pictures.

I wrote a mini review on trailplace: http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478

You might want to re-read the original post. He's looking for a book he read in the late 60s/early 70s.

7Sisters
06-28-2008, 05:57
You might want to re-read the original post. He's looking for a book he read in the late 60s/early 70s.

I was answering dmax's question, as Jack addressed the first one. That's why I started the post with Dmax.

Roland
06-28-2008, 06:01
I was answering dmax's question, as Jack addressed the first one. That's why I started the post with Dmax.

I missed that. My bad. :D

7Sisters
06-28-2008, 06:03
I missed that. My bad. :D

No worries - it's way to early - watching the fog lift from the trees!

deadhorsejoe
06-28-2008, 08:55
It could well be the first (and best) thru-hiker memoir, that of proud World War II veteran Earl Shaffer, who was the first person to thru-hike the Trail, back in 1948.

The book is called Walking With Spring, and is still in print.

Thanks Jack. I believe that is the book. I looked at an excerpt on amazon and I am almost certain. Got one on order. I remember when I read it as a teenager I felt as it I was walking along with him as I read the book. Hope its as good this time. Thanks again. Grayjoe

DapperD
06-28-2008, 20:13
I know you said it is a book you read, written in diary style. I just wanted to bring to light that I remember reading one of the thru-hike accounts in the set of 1975 Rodale Press books in which a soldier, maybe a paratrooper, believe had recently left the services and embarked on an AT thru-hike(possibly to set a speed record?) and wound up running into something like a Marine training exercise and being all disheveled(full beard) was sort of looked upon in an incredulous way until he explained what he was doing, and possibly who he was, and then he asked for and received a much needed pair of boots, or something like that. I read this thru-hike account in this book like 20 years ago, and when you brought up this question, it rang a bell. Maybe someone with these books who is familiar with this story can correct me if I am wrong.

deadhorsejoe
06-29-2008, 14:14
I know you said it is a book you read, written in diary style. I just wanted to bring to light that I remember reading one of the thru-hike accounts in the set of 1975 Rodale Press books in which a soldier, maybe a paratrooper, believe had recently left the services and embarked on an AT thru-hike(possibly to set a speed record?) and wound up running into something like a Marine training exercise and being all disheveled(full beard) was sort of looked upon in an incredulous way until he explained what he was doing, and possibly who he was, and then he asked for and received a much needed pair of boots, or something like that. I read this thru-hike account in this book like 20 years ago, and when you brought up this question, it rang a bell. Maybe someone with these books who is familiar with this story can correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks DapperD,

That is also a possibility now that you bring it to mind. I will look for that book as well. Thank you. Could certainly have been in the mid 70's when I was in college.

Grayjoe

Tennessee Viking
06-29-2008, 14:19
I have a National Geographic book by Ronald Fisher, The Appalachian Trail. Its not a thru-hike story. Its more of how the author drove along the trail doing small hikes, , meeting famous trail heroes, visiting all the trail towns, and then shooting off to other popular spots way off trail (Cherokee NC & Grandfather Mtn NC).