PDA

View Full Version : Cotton

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 12:03
So, with all this talk of how you shouldn't bring cotton clothes for the AT, how terrible is cotton really?

Has anyone ever worn almost all cotton for their AT?

I ask this because I've noticed that--personally--there's less chafing when I wear cotton than with synthetic materials.

Pedaling Fool
06-28-2008, 12:10
For shorts I wear swimming trunks, or similar fabric. However, my shirts are all cotton, but I do have a synthetic "long johns" top/bottoms for when I get to camp (winter time).

I've found that cotton doesn't stink as bad and is easier to wash and is really good when the weather is hot, douse the shirt and put on. (wish more females would do that – without bras).

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 12:12
For shorts I wear swimming trunks, or similar fabric. However, my shirts are all cotton, but I do have a synthetic "long johns" top/bottoms for when I get to camp (winter time).

I've found that cotton doesn't stink as bad and is easier to wash and is really good when the weather is hot, douse the shirt and put on. (wish more females would do that – without bras).

But, what about wearing cotton shorts?

Pedaling Fool
...(wish more females would do that – without bras).

Whoops! Sorry, I know no one will believe me, but that wasn't intended. I thought, well never mind...

rafe
So, with all this talk of how you shouldn't bring cotton clothes for the AT, how terrible is cotton really?

I ask this because I've noticed that--personally--there's less chafing when I wear cotton than with synthetic materials.

IMO, a cotton tee on a hot summer day is no problem. Dip it in a stream, wring it out and put it on wet. On the other hand, cotton sux for underwear and for socks, and it sux in winter or in cold rain.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 12:14
Whoops! Sorry, I know no one will believe me, but that wasn't intended. I thought, well never mind...

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what that meant. : )

dmax
06-28-2008, 12:16
Cotton shorts will work. Buy some undergarments that are not cotton. You can carry alittle Goldbond for any chaffing problems in a zip-lock bag.
Everybody used to do it in cotton before all the new stuff came out.

Blissful
06-28-2008, 12:19
I dislike cotton myself for hiking. Once it's damp from perspiration it stays damp and would think that could lead to even more chafing issues. But there were a couple of guys starting the trail last year in their jeans. You never know.

Odd Thomas

I don't get you boob-men. You've seen two, you've seen them all. Legs are where it's at. ;)

I use polyester athletic wear, I can carry two shirts at the same weight of 1 cotton shirt, and change when it stinks.

Blissful
Cotton shorts will work. Buy some undergarments that are not cotton. You can carry alittle Goldbond for any chaffing problems in a zip-lock bag.
Everybody used to do it in cotton before all the new stuff came out.

or use Body Glide for chafing.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 12:21
I dislike cotton myself for hiking. Once it's damp from perspiration it stays damp and would think that could lead to even more chafing issues. But there were a couple of guys starting the trail last year in their jeans. You never know.

But, couldn't you just keep up a cycle where one is drying while you wear the others?

4eyedbuzzard
06-28-2008, 12:29
I think the "cotton kills" mantra has been overplayed to a great dgree regarding summer hiking (below timberline anyway). Heavy when wet, a little colder for a while, yeah. Deadly? That would be pretty rare in summer.

That said, definitely a very poor choice for thru-hike clothing except maybe for sleepwear only. You want clothes that dry as quickly as possible.

4eyedbuzzard
06-28-2008, 12:31
But, couldn't you just keep up a cycle where one is drying while you wear the others?

NO. They simply won't dry. Especially when it's cold and it rains every day. And there will be times on a thru-hike you'll swear it's going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights.

Bearpaw88
06-28-2008, 12:32
Cotton has a bad rap for good reasons. Weight, cold weather, dampness. Though I still think cotton is great for hot weather. I think the reason more thru-hikers don't where cotton in the hot summer is because they already have synthetics from winter/spring and do not want to send them home and or buy new cotton garmets.
I recommend cotton dresses for woman in the summer heat. (no undergarments, but something with a built in bra) I heard of someone hiking in a sarong which sound amazingly comfortable. With all the new male hiking skirts I am sure there are plenty of guys who would wear one as well.:)

Cookerhiker
06-28-2008, 12:36
For long-distance backpacking, I don't even like cotton in the summer - the only advantage is that cotton shirts don't smell nearly as much as polypro. I know others have said on that soaking cotton shirts in a cold stream and wearing them on a hot day is refreshing but you can do that with polypro as well, and the washing will help lessen some - not all - of the smell.

rafe
06-28-2008, 12:40
BTW, in terms of suggestions... if you have a "uniform" store near you, buy a couple of surgical/medical scrub shirts (http://www.workngear.com/cgi-bin/frontrunner.cgi?ri=115&nid=1403&pid=380&flg=S&rc=WKNG&ro=T&rs=T&os=GOOG_WNG&ctc=3&os=GOOG_WNG) (like the one I'm wearing in my avatar.) They're loose-fitting, lightweight, and made of a cotton-poly mix -- great for summer hiking.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 13:17
BTW, in terms of suggestions... if you have a "uniform" store near you, buy a couple of surgical/medical scrub shirts (http://www.workngear.com/cgi-bin/frontrunner.cgi?ri=115&nid=1403&pid=380&flg=S&rc=WKNG&ro=T&rs=T&os=GOOG_WNG&ctc=3&os=GOOG_WNG) (like the one I'm wearing in my avatar.) They're loose-fitting, lightweight, and made of a cotton-poly mix -- great for summer hiking.

I guess I'm more worried about whether or not cotton shorts are all right to bring. Being overweight, my legs chafing is the biggest problem.

rafe
06-28-2008, 13:23
I guess I'm more worried about whether or not cotton shorts are all right to bring. Being overweight, my legs chafing is the biggest problem.

My summer hiking uniform is a pair of very thin nylon shorts and a pair of conforming boxers under that. For thigh chafe, try Body Glide or Gold Bond powder (but not both at once.)

seanb724
06-28-2008, 13:44
I really like Merino Wool Products for shirts and socks, instead of synthetics. They have all of the good qualities of cotton and synthetics combined -- they dry out fast, don't stink, keep you warm when it is cool and cool when it is warm.

Check out ice breaker for one of the better brands. But they are not cheap, and you may want to wait for a sale!

(But I've had synthetics that I can't get the stink out of after 5 or 6 washings and have had to throw away, and have had wool products for years, so in the end the cost is worth it!)

/Seanb724

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 14:01
I really like Merino Wool Products for shirts and socks, instead of synthetics. They have all of the good qualities of cotton and synthetics combined -- they dry out fast, don't stink, keep you warm when it is cool and cool when it is warm.

Check out ice breaker for one of the better brands. But they are not cheap, and you may want to wait for a sale!

(But I've had synthetics that I can't get the stink out of after 5 or 6 washings and have had to throw away, and have had wool products for years, so in the end the cost is worth it!)

/Seanb724

I'm thinking of alternating between synthetic shorts and cotton shorts. That way I have the option of seeing which ones work best for me.

Tennessee Viking
06-28-2008, 16:43
I do cotton during the winter as a single outer layer. But I always wear excercise shirts/jerseys next to the skin. They work better in wicking away sweat, more breathable, and don't retain heat.

Cotton will retain your body heat, and just get soaked as you sweat. If you hiking in the sun, you will feel the cotton to start to cook you.

saimyoji
06-28-2008, 16:55
I recommend cotton dresses for woman in the summer heat. (no undergarments, but something with a built in bra) I heard of someone hiking in a sarong which sound amazingly comfortable. With all the new male hiking skirts I am sure there are plenty of guys who would wear one as well.:)

How about a mumu?

take-a-knee
06-28-2008, 17:17
Cotton sucks unless you are welding. The only cotton in my kit is my handkerchief/potholder. It can and has killed people in the cold. You'll lose heaf faster wearing wet blue jeans than you will naked, or so says Natick Labs.

mountain squid
06-28-2008, 17:30
how terrible is cotton really?As already noted, cotton will not dry. Hypothermia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia) (scroll down to prevention) is a greater risk while wearing cotton clothing.

Concur with Blissful and _terrapin_ about Body Glide.

As for carrying extra shorts to determine which is better, 10 miles into the 100 Mile Wilderness, you'll probably wish you weren't carrying anything extra.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

River Runner
06-28-2008, 17:35

Believe me, you will chafe much worse with cotton shorts than with nylon or polyester. Case in point: a few years back I chaperoned a middle school trip to an amusement park. One of the girls had on jeans & got wet during a water ride. By the end of the day she could scarcely walk from the chafing.

If you are worried about chafing, and have heavier thighs, my suggestion would be to either wear light weight long pants or make sure your shorts are longish, so your skin will not rub together. Nylon seems to work better than polyester for me - I find polyester often 'rides up' when walking, causing it to bunch up and not be protective of bare skin.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 17:46

Thanks. Good idea.

Bob S
06-28-2008, 23:52
Cotton sucks unless you are welding. The only cotton in my kit is my handkerchief/potholder. It can and has killed people in the cold. You'll lose heaf faster wearing wet blue jeans than you will naked, or so says Natick Labs.

The reason it’s good for welding is that it’s a natural fabric. All natural fabrics burn if exposed to flame or high heat. All synthetic fibers melt if exposed to flame or high heat.

I clean carpet & furniture for a living, and this is the easiest way to confirm what a piece of furniture is made out (burn a small piece of it with a lighter) of to know how to clean it.

Wags
06-29-2008, 01:50
it's a scientific fact that cotton will give you swamp ass. wet cotton shorts/underware and walking may be one of the worst things ever

mudhead
06-29-2008, 08:27
Is that a southern term?

teachergal
06-29-2008, 09:55
2 stories higlighting the good and bad about cotton:

6 years ago Dad and I were hiking to Charlie's Bunion and I was so proud of all my new synthetic clothes and the speed with which they would dry I didn't feel the need to carry rain gear (it was July). I did not however, have synthetic underwear - all cotton - drawers and bra. We got caught in a torrential downpour between Ice Water Springs Shelter and the bunion. The trail turned into a rushing creek. I was soaked. My underwear alone made me miserable the whole rest of the hike down. The next day I was at Wal-Mart purchasing satin underwear (the only thing they had that wasn't cotton) and to this day I still wear my bright purple satin underwear when I hike!

4 years ago I was at Glacier NP, we'd hiked up to Grinell Glacier. They were having a rare heat wave in northern MT and above the tree line it was broiling. The trail crossed a small spring that had created a little creek. Everyone dipped their hats in to keep them cool. My hiking hat is an all cotton "fisherman's" type hat - like a bucket hat I think....anyway I got it good and soaked and it was still wet when I got to the bottom! Everyone else's synthetic hats were dry 5 mins after getting them wet!

teachergal
06-29-2008, 10:00
About chafing....
I too have thuder thighs and chafing is an issue. Most hiking shorts are too short for me - so I tend to wear pants. I have a pair, ex-offico brand I think - that I can roll up to make shorts - good because I roll them just past my knee and they are long enough. Looks dorky, but who cares.

Also, look in the lingere section at Kohls or someplace like that - I have a pair of shorts that look like biker shorts, they are lycra-spandex and they are called "barely there" I think they are supposed to act like a girddle and make you look skinny, but I wear them under skirts and dresses to keep my legs from rubbing together. Might be useful for hiking - wear as underwear and put short over (I don't know about you but I'd never want to be seen wear just spandex...I'd go naked 1st!

Lilred
06-29-2008, 14:40
What about wearing panty hose? cut off just below the knee. Never tried it but seems it would work.... Anyone ever try this?

Sir-P-Alot
06-29-2008, 14:48
What about wearing panty hose? cut off just below the knee. Never tried it but seems it would work.... Anyone ever try this?

I have tried it, but never for hiking.....

Cherokee Bill
06-29-2008, 17:18
IMO, a cotton tee on a hot summer day is no problem. Dip it in a stream, wring it out and put it on wet. On the other hand, cotton sux for underwear and for socks, and it sux in winter or in cold rain.

;) Terrapin is correct!

The first thing they taught us in Mtn Search & Rescue School is that in the winter....... "Cotton-kills".

Also I find I got blisters everytime I tried cotton socks during backpacking. Synthetic does develop an odor problem, but it wicks the best and dries the fastest.

For the most part, yes, cotton sux :D

teachergal
06-29-2008, 20:25
IMO panty hose make chaffing worse. Panty hose are like fingernails on a blackboard...makes my skin crawl to think about my legs rubbing together with pantyhose on! Besides, they wouldn't stand up to the trail....I can barely get them on without putting runs in them.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2008, 20:43

i used to wear it all the time. still do with t-shirts. good stuff

Chaco Taco
06-29-2008, 20:51
or use Body Glide for chafing.
or get a kilt. Had o e since Daleville, no more chaffing:D

Only thing I dont like about cotton in summer is that it streches out so much and gets really heavy.

Swiss Roll
07-02-2008, 14:44
[quote=Odd Thomas;655750]I don't get you boob-men. You've seen two, you've seen them all. Legs are where it's at. ;)

It would be more accurate to say, "Once you've seen two, you pretty much want to see them all.":p

Marta
07-02-2008, 15:48
About chafing....
I too have thunder thighs and chafing is an issue. Most hiking shorts are too short for me - so I tend to wear pants.

I second the idea of wearing something long. I had to try out a number of pairs of shorts to find some that keep down the chafing problem. For me, compression shorts tend to roll up and make tourniquets around the tops of my legs. Not good. In general, I prefer knit materials to woven, but there are some woven nylon water sports shorts that work for me. (Try Lands' End for reasonably-priced ones.) The water sports shorts often have good pockets.

In very sunny places, I wear long things to keep from getting sunburned. Pants and tights made for runners work for me.

In winter I like to wear tights--long underwear from silk weight to microfleece to heavyweight fleece, depending on temperature.

I'm not a fan of panty hose--I think they're a bit fragile, and the nylon panty part is often not breathable enough.

flemdawg1
07-03-2008, 10:15
I 2nd the reccomendation for Land's End Water Sport shorts. They're great.

Marta
07-03-2008, 10:24
I was leafing through a women's sports clothing catalog before pitching it and noticed something that might work--capris. I don't wear them myself, but they would definitely stay in place (not ride up) better than shorts, and there are lots of them available.

envirodiver
07-03-2008, 11:32
I wear cotton t shirts some in the summer, but they never seem to get dry with the high humidity. I perspire a lot so they stay soaked while wearing them. I've noticed that mildew smell on the shirts after only a day or so. So I prefer shirts and shorts that dry quicker so they don't have a chance to mildew.

Reagrding undergarments the best that I have found are compression shorts. Under armor, nike, adidias all make them. Lot's of sproting goods stores carry other brands that are less expensive. They are slick to reduce chafing and dry quick. A little body glide is also a good idea. Better safe than sorry in that respect.

take-a-knee
07-03-2008, 14:13
Visa Endurance is the best tee shirt fabric I've found, much better than Underarmor. Underarmor boxer briefs however are the best underwear I've found, they completely eliminate thigh chaffing for me. YMMV.

noname
07-03-2008, 15:21
I like cotton, too, and do wear it in the summer. But I always have a synthetic long-sleeved something, as well as synthetic layers. Don't rely, for example, on a cotton t-shirt, cotton sweatshirt, and jeans (not saying you were going to). This can get downright dangerous if it's wet, yes, even in the summer.

As far as cotton shorts, I see no problem in this as long as you have synthetic pants/some synthetic bottom layer to wear in case you get wet and cold. Wear what's comfortable, imo.

DavidNH
07-03-2008, 15:27
I would say that cotton is fine provided it is a warm or hot sunny day. It is only when the cotten shirt (or what ever garment) gets wet in a thunderstorm or something that there are problems. Dry cotton is fine. Wet cotton is nearly useless.

David