PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Helen

MikeG
06-28-2008, 12:20
Thinking about running up to hogpen gap and hiking for this weekend, anyone know what the weathers going to be like? weather.com says iso thunderstorms. what do you locals say? stay in or go?

Blissful
06-28-2008, 12:23
I'm not a local but t-storms can vary so much and be over and done quickly, it shouldn't stop a hike. (unless you want no rain period). just be ready in case it does.

Bulldawg
06-28-2008, 12:24
I say go and bring a rain jacket. We had scattered storms here yesterday. Right now 15 miles southeast of Helen it is 93*F, cloudy skies, humid as all get out, probably will have those pop up storms after 3 or 4 oclock! My son and I are going to hike out to Tray Shelter and back tomorrow I think, we will have rain jackets.

Go for it!!

MikeG
06-28-2008, 12:25
sounds good, i dont think i would have really stayed home anyways haha.

Blissful
06-28-2008, 12:27
have a great time!!!

Bulldawg
06-28-2008, 12:29
Be sure and post a trip report for us "locals". WE can run up them at the drop of a hat and need to know trail conditions!!:D:D

MikeG
07-02-2008, 15:34
well i hiked for a bit then camped at whitley gap and a pretty nasty storm with hail rolled through. lots of cloud to ground lightning too. i wasnt too worried but my dog was not digging it haha.

Boudin
07-02-2008, 16:43
I live in Blairsville. The weather is strange right now. It can literally be pouring down rain on one side of the street and be sunny on the other. If you hike early the weather is great. Nice and cool. The thunderstorms have been popping up after lunch. Come on up and decide when you get to Hog Pen Gap. Bring rain gear even if it is sunny.

Bulldawg
07-02-2008, 16:53
well i hiked for a bit then camped at whitley gap and a pretty nasty storm with hail rolled through. lots of cloud to ground lightning too. i wasnt too worried but my dog was not digging it haha.

Other than that storm, how was it??

Hoop
07-02-2008, 17:42
And, how's the water supply for us problem drinkers? I'm hiking AFSP to the state line in a couple of weeks.

bloodmountainman
07-03-2008, 06:19
And, how's the water supply for us problem drinkers? I'm hiking AFSP to the state line in a couple of weeks.
We have had some great hiking and camping weather the last few weeks up here! The humidity has been low and we are seeing overnight lows in the 50's. Day times highs are in the mid-80's. Always with the chance of afternoon and evening thunder storms. Our local weatherman says this is about to change.... heat and humidity are on there way back!
The water is flowing in all or most springs and branches along the Trail.
Hooprat, let me know if I can be of any assitance to you during your Ga. section hike.