PDA

View Full Version : 0 or 50 degrees.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 12:24
I'm trying to decide between a 0 degrees bag or a 50 degrees bag for my SOBO. The 50 is 1.5# lighter, but would it be a good idea to skimp on this?

Cookerhiker
06-28-2008, 12:31
I know you said when you're starting on another thread but I don't remember. So assuming you're starting a SOBO in July, your 50 degree bag should be fine until at least Ocotber 1 - maybe longer. If you add a liner, you may not need your zero bag until Damascus or pehaps Atkins before you enter Grayson Highlands and Mt. Rogers.

Blissful
06-28-2008, 12:32
I would not go with a 50 degree bag SOBO - you will encounter high mtn terrain and unpredictable weather in southern ME and the Whites of NH. I went with a marmot pounder plus, 25 degree when I went through NOBO but that was August. Even after you leave NH, 50 degree is pushing it. 40 degree might be better for the summer, then switch back in the fall.

Are you leaving now? Or is this next year?

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 12:38
I would not go with a 50 degree bag SOBO - you will encounter high mtn terrain and unpredictable weather in southern ME and the Whites of NH. I went with a marmot pounder plus, 25 degree when I went through NOBO but that was August. Even after you leave NH, 50 degree is pushing it. 40 degree might be better for the summer, then switch back in the fall.

I'm leaving in a few days. Are there any stores large enough on the way to add to winter gear as the year progresses?

Appalachian Tater
06-28-2008, 12:43
A 50 degree bag is very iffy north of Glencliff NH even in the summer.

There are plenty of outfitters along the trail. Any guidebook lists them, places like Manchester Center, Waynesboro, Harpers Ferry, Hot Springs, Damascus. If you don't have a guidebook you could use the ALDHA Online Companion, Google it.

And a sleeping bag is the last place to skimp because it and your shelter are your last line of defense against hypothermia. You will also find it very difficult to sleep and get rest if you are cold.

rafe
06-28-2008, 12:44
I'm leaving in a few days. Are there any stores large enough on the way to add to winter gear as the year progresses?

Take the light bag. Worry about the winter bag when the time comes. It's not like the AT is wilderness. There are all sorts of towns along the way; small ones near the trail, big ones not too far away.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2008, 12:44

The outfitter in Harpers Ferry is a good bet. I don't know your expected pace but it's a little more than half-way. So if you're taking 5 months, you're there close to October. Weather will still be mild in the mid-Atlantic but HF is a good time & place to restock.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 13:15
The outfitter in Harpers Ferry is a good bet. I don't know your expected pace but it's a little more than half-way. So if you're taking 5 months, you're there close to October. Weather will still be mild in the mid-Atlantic but HF is a good time & place to restock.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

JAK
06-28-2008, 13:56
I would say to go with the lighter bag also. I think it would be false economy to put unneccessary wear and tear on the 0 degree bag, which I presume is more expensive.

Sounds like a nice bag if its only 1.5 pounds heavier.
Are you really saying 0F vs 50F, and its only 1.5 pounds heavier?
Maybe your 50F bag isn't all that great. Is there an in between option?

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 13:59
I would say to go with the lighter bag also. I think it would be false economy to put unneccessary wear and tear on the 0 degree bag, which I presume is more expensive.

Sounds like a nice bag if its only 1.5 pounds heavier.
Are you really saying 0F vs 50F, and its only 1.5 pounds heavier?
Maybe your 50F bag isn't all that great. Is there an in between option?

No. There's no in-between. I didn't think to get a 30 degrees, and I will be leaving soon. The 0 degrees is 4.5# while the 50 degrees is 3#. Is that abnormal for a 0 degress to be 4.5 or a less warm bag to be 3#?

rafe
06-28-2008, 14:07
No. There's no in-between. I didn't think to get a 30 degrees, and I will be leaving soon. The 0 degrees is 4.5# while the 50 degrees is 3#. Is that abnormal for a 0 degress to be 4.5 or a less warm bag to be 3#?

Sorry, neither one will win any ultra-light awards. A 50 degree down bag needn't weigh more than a pound or so. But there's no doubt about it -- the good, light stuff costs more. Campmor has a line of down bags that give a good bang for the buck, check 'em out. You could order one today and probably have it by Monday, or Tuesday at the outside.

4eyedbuzzard
06-28-2008, 14:09
A 50 degree bag is very iffy north of Glencliff NH even in the summer...

A polite way of saying it isn't enough bag. A bag that will truly keep you warm(not just a rating) at 40 is pretty much an absolute minimum, but even then you should be prepared to wear your hat, base layer, etc in W ME, NH, and VT if needed.

JAK
06-28-2008, 15:52
No. There's no in-between. I didn't think to get a 30 degrees, and I will be leaving soon. The 0 degrees is 4.5# while the 50 degrees is 3#. Is that abnormal for a 0 degress to be 4.5 or a less warm bag to be 3#?I would think 4.5# is rather good for a true 0 deg F sleeping bag, but that 3# is rather heavy for a 50F rating. I think 30F is possible at 3# even in synthetic. I would say both are poor choices for the AT. The 4.5# not so much because it is heavy but because it would be a shame to abuse it. The 3# not so much because it is heavy either, but because of its temperature rating. Perhaps it has some redeeming qualities. Perhaps it is warmer than its rating, or very comfy and weatherproof yet breathable. I would take the lighter one to get you started, then go from there. I would save the heavy one for winter camping.

weary
06-28-2008, 16:22
I have had far more problems with a bag that is too warm, than with bags that are too cold. I hiked between Springer and Katahdin in 1993 with a 25-YEAR-OLD down sleeping bag liner. It weighed a bit less than two pounds.

I'm guessing it would probably rate at 50 degrees or higher. I augmented the bag with insulated underwear during the cold months, and never was seriously cold.

I would have roasted most nights on my walk had I carried a zero degree bag. Even my liner was too warm some nights.

I don't recommend that people go as light as I did. I think a 40 degree bag is probably a good compromise. Yes, there are occasionally chilly nights in August and September in Maine. But warm nights will dominate on a southbound walk well into October.

Weary

mountain squid
06-28-2008, 16:42
but would it be a good idea to skimp on this?Do not underestimate The Whites. See attached. Notice the date/time and temp/wind speed. It was sunny outside. Three hours later it was raining, sleeting, hailing...everything but actually snowing. And, yes it was still very windy...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

rafe
06-28-2008, 17:36
Do not underestimate The Whites. See attached. Notice the date/time and temp/wind speed. It was sunny outside. Three hours later it was raining, sleeting, hailing...everything but actually snowing. And, yes it was still very windy...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

All well and true -- but that doesn't necessarily relate to sleeping bag rating. It's unsafe and illegal to sleep on the open ridges in any case. In the Whites you'll either be in a hut or on a tent platform or a shelter well down from the ridge.

It does relate to the spare/emergency clothing you need to have in your pack.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 17:41
All well and true -- but that doesn't necessarily relate to sleeping bag rating. It's unsafe and illegal to sleep on the open ridges in any case. In the Whites you'll either be in a hut or on a tent platform or a shelter well down from the ridge.

It does relate to the spare/emergency clothing you need to have in your pack.

As far as spare/emergency gear, do y'all think a poncho would be effective as a liner? (I'm using my dad's very, very thick poncho from the Marine Corps.)

saimyoji
06-28-2008, 17:55
Having not noticed any of your other posts...

I hate to sound negative (believe me, I'm just looking out for your best interests), but are you otherwise prepared? Asking about one of the most important items of gear merely days before you leave sounds a little rushed. Is there anything else you might have questions/uncertainties about?

rafe
06-28-2008, 17:55
As far as spare/emergency gear, do y'all think a poncho would be effective as a liner? (I'm using my dad's very, very thick poncho from the Marine Corps.)

Poncho as a liner? A liner for what? :-? Some folks use ponchos. But it seems to me they might be tricky in high-wind situations.

River Runner
06-28-2008, 18:06

What Blissful said. A 40 degree bag can always be opened up like a quilt if it's too warm out to use it snugged down.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 18:08
Having not noticed any of your other posts...

I hate to sound negative (believe me, I'm just looking out for your best interests), but are you otherwise prepared? Asking about one of the most important items of gear merely days before you leave sounds a little rushed. Is there anything else you might have questions/uncertainties about?

No, sleeping bag was it. I had been planning to go NOBO earlier this year, but changed it to SOBO. I had prepared for NOBO, and now was trying to switch my gear around for a different type of weather.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 18:12
Poncho as a liner? A liner for what? :-? Some folks use ponchos. But it seems to me they might be tricky in high-wind situations.

Yeah, sorry that was confusing. I was referring to
If you add a liner, you may not need your zero bag until Damascus or pehaps Atkins before you enter Grayson Highlands and Mt. Rogers.

I was asking if anyone wrapped up in their poncho instead of using a liner. And if a poncho could be used as an insulator effectively.

rafe
06-28-2008, 18:19
I don't know about a poncho for a bag liner -- I'd be worried about condensation. What I'd suggest is a 2nd base layer, top and bottom, that's reserved for camp and for sleeping. That 2nd base layer, like the bag, needs to be kept dry at all costs. Silk is nice for summer, as it's nice and light. I presume you have a tent or tarp; that should add a few degrees of warmth also.

mudhead
06-28-2008, 18:25
Warmer bag.

The next two weeks will be warm and sticky at night, but once (if) the weather breaks it can get kind of crisp in the AM. (Please break soon!)

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 18:32
I don't know about a poncho for a bag liner -- I'd be worried about condensation. What I'd suggest is a 2nd base layer, top and bottom, that's reserved for camp and for sleeping. That 2nd base layer, like the bag, needs to be kept dry at all costs. Silk is nice for summer, as it's nice and light. I presume you have a tent or tarp; that should add a few degrees of warmth also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

rafe
06-28-2008, 18:35
Don't forget a hat and socks, for sleeping. Same deal as the 2nd base layer; needs to be kept dry.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 18:36
Don't forget a hat and socks, for sleeping. Same deal as the 2nd base layer; needs to be kept dry.

Will do. Thanks again. Should be starting out NOBO on the 1st.

saimyoji
06-28-2008, 18:57
As a policy (I rarely do otherwise, but sometimes I do) I wear long johns inside my bag. If its warm enough, unzip and use the bag as a quilt, or push it off to the side. When cooler, the longies help. Helps to regulate temp. as well as keep the bag cleaner longer.

Thermawool, polypro, and thicker for cold months work well. All relatively cheap.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2008, 19:39
Wow, this advice is all over the map. Hope you're not too confused.

My experience: I didn't thruhike but I hiked all of Maine one trip (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=113704) mid-Aug to mid-Sept. and was very glad I did not have the winter bag. But I did have a fleece pullover and rag wool hat which I wore a few nights in the bag. Someone else (Terrapin?) already suggested this - you want some warm stuff to wear in camp anyway so if you can stand wearing them in your bag, you need not worry IMO about a poncho liner or warmer bag.

Re the Whites, yes they can be winterlike even in early August when you arrive there but again I echo Terrapin - most of the effect is on your daily hiking, not where you camp - either at the huts or below treeline. I backpacked the Whites twice in the early 80s (both times in July) with my 3 season bag and had no problems. Didn't have fleece back then but a 100% wool shirt and my trusty rag wool hat.

I would add that having good clothing which dries easily i.e. no cotton is also critical here as well as making sure you keep your stuff in waterproof bags in your pack.

Hoop
06-28-2008, 20:42
Which way? First post, headed south; last post, north.

Wags
06-29-2008, 01:54
i'd also suggest just taking a warmer base layer and sticking w/ the 50+. a nice down vest or fleece can give you the few extra degrees you need, plus you can wear it when walking if it's chilly.

TRIP08
06-29-2008, 13:48
Which way? First post, headed south; last post, north.

Sorry, I meant SOBO.

River Runner
06-30-2008, 00:18
I backpacked the Whites twice in the early 80s (both times in July) with my 3 season bag and had no problems.

I think a 3 season bag would be great, but a 50 degree bag is more of a summer bag. It would leave a very narrow margin for error, even with extra clothing. Unless she takes hi-loft insulated clothing, the typical long johns would only add maybe 10 degrees I think?

saimyoji
07-02-2008, 08:28
I think she's already gone hiking. Hope she chose wisely. :cool:

gold bond
07-02-2008, 09:34

I carry a Seira Design 45 Deg down bag and my long johns. If I get to cold I just put on my rain suit. I carried it and the only problem I had was when it got down to about 35 Deg and my feet got cold...threw on a extra pair of socks and solved that!

DavidNH
07-02-2008, 10:27
Well..

A 50 degree bag is not warm enough and a 0 degree bag maybe too warm.

The ideal would be to get yourself a 20 degree bag and stick with that.

That said, NEVER skimp on your sleeping bag. Don't worry about cost. Better a bit warm than not warm enough.

i don't see how a 50 degree bag could be adequate for a south bound hike. I don't know when you are starting but I am going to guess July? If so you could shiver in New Hampshire (4000+ foot camp sites) and if you don't shiver there, you will definitely shiver when you get to the southern highlands of NC/TN. Don't even think about staying at the place at 6200 ft elevation in TN I think it is.

DavidNH

mountain squid
07-03-2008, 10:49
Don't even think about staying at the place at 6200 ft elevation in TN I think it is. That would be Roan High Knob Shelter (6285'), I reckon.

Sallie8998 is probably hiking already, so it is probably a moot point, but I spoke with Kincora on Tue. If I recall, he said it was about 44F there that morning (01 Jul).

See you on the trail,
mt squid