PDA

View Full Version : Baxter SP trail map(s)

WalkingStick75
06-28-2008, 21:16
I'm looking for a map of Baxter State Park that shows trails, mileage and roads. I do not need topo maps at this point only enough to do some basic pre-planning. I went on the BSP web site, they are not very specific as to what they cover. Does anyone know if one of these maps will do what I want or where I can locate?

orangebug
06-28-2008, 21:50
You might be better off to ask about specific trails on here.

From what I've seen of Katahdin (and didn't like it all that much), a good plan for a SOBO is to check in for a day and read your maps and enjoy the scenery. If you want a loop, consider Abol Trail up and Hunt Trail (AT) down. It shouldn't be too hard to check in and get a hitch to Abol trailhead.

Katahdin is deceptive, with only a 5.2 up and down by the map. The topos do nothing to really inform you of the challenges ahead. I suspect that NOBOs have it right by letting Katahdin summarize all the challenges of the AT in a short distance, after they have conquered them.

WalkingStick75
06-29-2008, 07:41
You might be better off to ask about specific trails on here.

From what I've seen of Katahdin (and didn't like it all that much), a good plan for a SOBO is to check in for a day and read your maps and enjoy the scenery. If you want a loop, consider Abol Trail up and Hunt Trail (AT) down. It shouldn't be too hard to check in and get a hitch to Abol trailhead.

Katahdin is deceptive, with only a 5.2 up and down by the map. The topos do nothing to really inform you of the challenges ahead. I suspect that NOBOs have it right by letting Katahdin summarize all the challenges of the AT in a short distance, after they have conquered them.

Thanks, I finished my thru hike last year, ending at Katahdin. Next year I'm looking at just hiking in the area spending a couple days in the park. Really surprised how non discriptive the on line BSP store is. I do have an e-mail to them too.

TJ aka Teej
06-29-2008, 07:52
Hey there WalkingStick,
Delorme has a fine one of the whole Park:
http://www.amazon.com/Baxter-State-Park-Katahdin-McNally/dp/0899331955
Trail descriptions on the backside.
If you can't find one near you, let me know and I'll send you one.

mudhead
06-29-2008, 08:01
ISBN 1-878239-79

Out of date, more than you need, but waterproof.

You really do want topo, as there are "goat trails" that go to some of the other bumps.

WalkingStick75
06-29-2008, 10:01
Thanks TJ and Mudhead, didn't think of checking amazon.... da

I also found http://www.katahdinoutdoors.com/bsp/trails.html (finally) which had basically what I was looking for, at least for now. I can pickup a topo a little closer to trip time.

Thanks