PDA

View Full Version : Blisters: Thru Hiking

ChinMusic
06-28-2008, 21:58
I have not been on the trail for more than a week at a time. I am the typical weekend warrior so I have little/no experience regarding a long term hike.

No matter what shoes/socks-combination I tend to get blisters on the same two toes on days over 8 miles (shorter if real hot) unless I tape them first. If I tape them they are usually fine.

For those of you that have had similar experiences did your feet toughen up on a thru or did you fight blisters the whole way?

oops56
06-28-2008, 22:16
Cut the top of your shoes where your toes are make a window:D

ChinMusic
06-28-2008, 22:23
Cut the top of your shoes where your toes are make a window:D
Actually that wouldn't work in my case. The blisters form BETWEEN the toes.

Or I'd try it........:D

take-a-knee
06-28-2008, 23:10
I just finished an 11 day section and I had a couple of small blisters that went away after about five days but I still would get hot spots on my heels but that was also going away at the end of the hike. So, in my limited experience, it does get better, as long as your boots/socks fit properly in the first place. I can't say enough good things about Asolo FSN 85 boots.

sasquatch2014
06-28-2008, 23:13
I kept having blister issues and as a section hiker they never had the chance to really toughen up all that much. I finally just got new shoes. Not all boots work for all feet. We will see how these work out so far pretty happy with them. the old ones had almost 500 miles on them so i know that they were broken in so it was just the fit.

doggiebag
06-28-2008, 23:21
I kept having blister issues and as a section hiker they never had the chance to really toughen up all that much. I finally just got new shoes. Not all boots work for all feet. We will see how these work out so far pretty happy with them. the old ones had almost 500 miles on them so i know that they were broken in so it was just the fit.

If you'd stop dropping out after 2 days on a section ... maybe nature would toughen up that pink city-softened flesh of yours. :D

Summit
06-28-2008, 23:23
If you get the right shoes for your feet, and even the heavier high-top leather ones, if broken in correctly, can provide blister free hiking. What does not go away even after hundreds of miles is sore feet after a lot of miles. In my experience, feet just do not 'learn' to get over that! :eek:

rafe
06-28-2008, 23:23
If you'd stop dropping out after 2 days on a section ... maybe nature would toughen up that pink city-softened flesh of yours.

Well that sure was a helpful answer. :rolleyes:

Sir-P-Alot
06-28-2008, 23:51
I have never tried them but I have seen socks that fit over your toes like gloves fit over your fingers. They were made of a liner type material. You might want to try them instead of taping.

rafe
06-29-2008, 00:03
I have never tried them but I have seen socks that fit over your toes like gloves fit over your fingers. They were made of a liner type material. You might want to try them instead of taping.

They're made by Injinji. I used them for some of my walking last summer. Nothing terribly special, IMO.

ChinMusic
06-29-2008, 00:05
Those are Injinji socks. I have some of those. Still got blisters on those two toes.

doggiebag
06-29-2008, 00:12
I have not been on the trail for more than a week at a time. I am the typical weekend warrior so I have little/no experience regarding a long term hike.

No matter what shoes/socks-combination I tend to get blisters on the same two toes on days over 8 miles (shorter if real hot) unless I tape them first. If I tape them they are usually fine.

For those of you that have had similar experiences did your feet toughen up on a thru or did you fight blisters the whole way?

Blisters were a fact of life for me even after an extended hike. The important thing was recognizing any hot spots and treating them as you go along. You're doing everything right by taping up the problematic areas before they become debilitating. You're feet will toughen up after a few weeks - but there will always be a need for the occasional piece of ductape once in a while.

ChinMusic
06-29-2008, 00:37
The important thing was recognizing any hot spots and treating them as you go along.
We did a big day at Red River Gorge last weekend. Did the Rough and Swift Creek Camp trails in one day. Took a nice boot-off break on SCC and soaked my feet in the cool stream. Did the feet wonders.

Homer&Marje
06-29-2008, 02:08
When I was out in Kings Canyon California, Sierra Nevadas i'm pretty sure, i had blisters like you wouldn't believe, I have wonderful Asolo boots that have a lot of miles on them now, but the combo of the heat out there and a 70 mile out and back trail, 35 up hill, 35 downhill, no lie it was torture... only thing that got me through was a good combo of mole skin and duct tape...

My father says you can rebuild the world with duct tape and 100' of nylon rope. That's why they are always in my pack (and my car dont tell my wife she thinks we have a problem already with duct tape and nylon rope addiction and the last thing we need is that awkward intervention):D

HippieHiker
06-29-2008, 03:43
why dont u try to prevent the blisters from even forming? just put duct tape around the area where your toes are rubbing. red river gorge is where i hike! did you go up to half moon arc? that place is insane.

hopefulhiker
06-29-2008, 06:45
Your feet will toughen up, but if you switch shoes you might have new blisters.

You can use Gold Bond powder, change socks a lot, and one thing that helps is after hiking for a couple of hours or so, sit down take your shoes and socks off and let them air out for a few minutes.

Also take some mole skin, or liquid skin and some antibiotics. I had a blister that got infected and spread, had to go to the hospital and take about 10 days off the trail to let it heal.

MOWGLI
06-29-2008, 06:49
Those are Injinji socks. I have some of those. Still got blisters on those two toes.

Sounds like you need to just tape them then. Personally, losing liner socks stopped blisters for me. Sometimes I have problems if I forget to trim my toenails. I cut them before a backpacking trip. Especially the two small toes. I cut them very short.

mudhead
06-29-2008, 07:41
Actually that wouldn't work in my case. The blisters form BETWEEN the toes.

Or I'd try it........:D

I have had that. High quality sock that was just a tad too large. Fine when first put on, stretch enough after wearing. Could also be you digging in your toes, and scrunching up your foot as you walk. Or shoes.

rafe
06-29-2008, 09:24
I wish there were a magic cure. I've had long hikes with zero blisters... other hikes where the good luck ran out. Take care of "hot spots" as soon as you can. Heat means friction and friction, if left unattended, will lead to a blister. Walking in wet shoes and socks will do it too, but sometimes there's no other option.

bigcranky
06-29-2008, 10:14
Blisters between the toes are common. Try using Body Glide between the affected toes. You'll want to apply it a couple of times a day.

It feels slippery and sticky, but for some reason it doesn't gunk up my socks.

Lyle
06-29-2008, 10:35

Haven't done a thru of the AT yet, but have done months-long backpacking trips and many trips of 2 weeks or more. To answer your question above, Both.

On some trips, I've become expert at treating blisters. Other trips, not much of a problem. Sometimes I've had problems only at the beginning of a trip, other times only at the end. My last 2 week+ trip in May I had absolutely no hint of a blister (I'll be using this combination of socks, trail shoes and Orange Superfeet for my next trip too!!!)

I guess what I'm saying is, keep trying different combinations (within reason), lighten your load, reduce your daily miles, rest and dry your feet often (remove boots and socks at breaks), keep your socks clean (yeah, right!), and keep taping the known problem areas. It's cheap, easy alternative to some miserable hiking. Have fun.

yaduck9
06-29-2008, 10:55
I have had problems with blisters and also cramped feet until I bought a pair of boots from Campmoor. They had the boot I normaly wear in extra wide. I have always thought that foot problems were just a fact of like for a hiker, so I never gave it too much thought. The extra width has not solved everything but my toes have more room to spread out and I have less problems with blisters on the sides of my toes.

Perhaps someone on this thread may know of a good shop / salesperson to talk to.

just my two cents.

doggiebag
06-29-2008, 11:26
We did a big day at Red River Gorge last weekend. Did the Rough and Swift Creek Camp trails in one day. Took a nice boot-off break on SCC and soaked my feet in the cool stream. Did the feet wonders.

Dipping my feet in cool running water at the end of the day was great relief after a long day hiking. I’m not sure if it was the numbing effect of the cold but it was definitely something I indulged in as much as possible. After a couple of hundred miles of hiking – I really was not bothered by blisters too much (they just became a part of life) – you detect a hot spot … you covered it up until that area healed and developed a callus or just thickened up. The most pain I remember that annoyed me the most was a dull ache from the knees on down that usually started once I’m off my feet. It’s a weird dull ache that didn’t feel like it was caused by anything permanent … just the body telling me that it’s being pushed to the limits. Now that’s a pain I can do without.

With regards to something else that I’ve found effective for long range hikes is replacing the boot/shoe liner that comes with your foot wear with quality liners designed for backpacking (Superfeet – worked for me), and here’s a real world tip: doubling up on boot liners is a bad idea … it just hurts like heck. It took me a couple of hundred miles to realize this! Hiking solo sometimes has it’s detriments in which no one clubbed me over the head regarding that ill-conceived foot wear experiment.

middle to middle
06-29-2008, 11:27
In a pinch, use DUCT TAPE ! It works pretty well. I have just taped over blisters and made it painless. Just leave tape on till it wears off.

Home Fires
06-29-2008, 11:35
I have seen socks that fit over your toes like gloves fit over your fingers.
I saw shoes like that the other day.

Blissful
06-29-2008, 11:40
Your feet will toughen as you hike, like the rest of you. Takes time.

drastic_quench
06-29-2008, 12:48
I saw shoes like that the other day.
Those'd likely be Vibram Fivefingers:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/index.cfm
I've considered them for light camp shoes that I could still hike in a pinch.

sasquatch2014
06-29-2008, 13:43
If you'd stop dropping out after 2 days on a section ... maybe nature would toughen up that pink city-softened flesh of yours. :D

It would help if i wasn't always turning around to see if you were still behind me. I am sure its the truning motion that is creating the problem.:D

Home Fires
06-29-2008, 14:13
Those'd likely be Vibram Fivefingers
Yep, that's them. I'm a devoted barefoot gal, but my feet are so persnickety I can't even wear flip-flops ... my toes are cramping just thinking about those shoes. lol

Appalachian Tater
06-29-2008, 20:28
You need some of these. They make them for hikers but I don't know the brand or where you can get them.

http://etrade.daegu.go.kr/co/c/ciglove/img/oimg_GC00208412_CA00208413.jpg

ChinMusic
06-29-2008, 23:29
You need some of these. They make them for hikers but I don't know the brand or where you can get them.

Injinji socks have already been mentioned. Nearly every outfitter I have visited has them.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/6/Injinji-600971-rw-33661-19661.jpg

Appalachian Tater
06-29-2008, 23:30
Well, how did they work for you? They worked great for the person I know who used them. Their toe blisters healed quickly.

ChinMusic
06-29-2008, 23:35
Well, how did they work for you? They worked great for the person I know who used them. Their toe blisters healed quickly.
I didn't really find much of a difference between my regular Smartwool Adrenalins and the Injinjis.

Now that the weather is hot and the blisters are more of a problem I think I'll revist the Injinjis.

Those suckers are hard to put on. It reminds me of trying to put a sweater on a 2-yr-old that isn't cooperating........:D

Appalachian Tater
06-29-2008, 23:40
I didn't really find much of a difference between my regular Smartwool Adrenalins and the Injinjis.

Now that the weather is hot and the blisters are more of a problem I think I'll revist the Injinjis. If moisture is playing a big role which you make it sound like it is then try moisture wicking socks or none and wearing hiking sandals.

You might also consider trying a medical moisture barrier cream designed to protect skin from urine and feces, you can probably get it at a large pharmacy, if not a medical supply house.

doggiebag
06-30-2008, 00:07
I say stick with the duct tape unless your problems are beyond the scope of blister prevention ... if so take Tater's advice.

Plodderman
07-14-2008, 15:01
I use moleskin and and duct tape. Seems like on longer hikes like 75 miles or more that I have the same problem area and but the feet do toughen up and seem to not be a constant problem. I have gone to a larger shoe that keeps from rubbing.

Getting my feet wet does create a whole new set of problems with blisters. Seems like in that case moleskin and duct tape work best.

ChinMusic
07-14-2008, 16:42
I say stick with the duct tape unless your problems are beyond the scope of blister prevention ... if so take Tater's advice.
I like the 1/4 or 1/2-inch white tape for toes and duct tape for any other hot spot on the foot. I haven't had much of a need for duct tape in the last year. The Keens and Smartwool socks have been doing pretty good for me.

Boudin
07-14-2008, 16:46
Some people are always going to get blisters due to years of poorly fitted shoes. Some will always get blisters because of the shape of their feet and toes (genetics). There have been some good suggestions on this thread. I hope one of them works.

BobTheBuilder
07-14-2008, 16:56
I always read that liner socks were the holy grail. They were supposed to be absolutely necessary, and I always wore them, and I always got huge bisters on the bottoms of my feet from sliding around. Then I noticed that the serious hikers (thru's and former thru's) just had one pair of thick socks on. I tried that, and no more blisters. Maybe not for everyone, but it works for me. I also like it when a sacred cow bites the dust.

Del Q
07-14-2008, 20:03
Until my last hike, I would get HUGE blisters on both heels, last hike, better boots for my wide feet (Merrells) and about a 1/2 size bigger, laced them differently, wore panty hose (special forces trick so I am told) with a good amount of Gold Bond then nice socks on top. Changed them out and aired them out every few hours, not too many miles the first few days, ZERO BLISTERS. 150 Miles. I was happy.

P.S. Mention the panty hose outside of this thread and, well, you know!

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 20:38

http://etrade.daegu.go.kr/co/c/ciglove/img/oimg_GC00208412_CA00208413.jpg

Wow AT you are indeed so helpful......

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2008, 20:43

I walked barefoot on pavement, in the beginning I could only walk around the block, but eventually got up to a couple of miles. No problems with blisters, excpept on back of ankle, which was easily taken care of with duct tape.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 21:08
AT is trying so hard to help you this is really what he had in mind!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/MirkoDTFeet.jpg

Darwin again
07-22-2008, 10:51
For me, no boots = no blisters.
Thin socks & dry feet are key.

johnny quest
07-22-2008, 11:14
try taping the two toes together.

ChinMusic
07-22-2008, 14:42
try taping the two toes together.
I was thinking about trying that for a local hike, as a test. I might try that tonight. Thanks.

Quoddy
07-22-2008, 15:25
My one word solution to stopping blisters is Hydropel. A lot of hikers aren't convinced until they try it. Begin using it the day before a hike which gives it time to be absorbed, then daily after that. Whether your feet are dry or get wet, it makes no difference to this stuff. I use it all over my feet including between the toes.

ChinMusic
07-22-2008, 17:09
My one word solution to stopping blisters is Hydropel. A lot of hikers aren't convinced until they try it. Begin using it the day before a hike which gives it time to be absorbed, then daily after that. Whether your feet are dry or get wet, it makes no difference to this stuff. I use it all over my feet including between the toes.
How does Hydropel differ from Body Glide?

take-a-knee
07-22-2008, 17:20
On my last hike we stayed at the Hiawasse Inn, the Ingles supermarket up the road in town stocked a Bandaid product that is essentially bodyglide, and it comes in a much smaller stick than Body Glide (therefore lighter and easier to carry). The product works great.