PDA

View Full Version : Life is Good

modiyooch
06-28-2008, 23:07
Life is Good. I was at the beach yesterday and the mountains today. We ate dinner today at the highest restaurant in the eastern US. Later we hiked to a waterfall that I had never visited.

take-a-knee
06-28-2008, 23:36
Life is Good. I was at the beach yesterday and the mountains today. We ate dinner today at the highest restaurant in the eastern US. Later we hiked to a waterfall that I had never visited.

That sounds a lot nicer than Iraq.

modiyooch
06-28-2008, 23:47
well, my nephew is there, so please just cool it.

SteveJ
06-29-2008, 00:01
it is good....

all 3 of my sons have been home the last few weeks..oldest one home from his first year of college after spending a year in Europe after high school...middle one just finished high school - we were at the beach last week - 1st family beach trip since the oldest got home. Middle one bought stogies for all to enjoy on Father's Day...getting up in the morning at 5 to take him to NY to report to West Point...we're extremely proud of him, altho a bit tearful at times (we won't be seeing much of him the next 4 years - probably less after - the oldest is at UGA 35 miles down the road).....all in all, Life is good....

take-a-knee
06-29-2008, 09:05
well, my nephew is there, so please just cool it.

Cool it! I think not! Those people need to be remembered and appreciated, not forgotten about.

kayak karl
06-29-2008, 09:36
life is good. its nice to get out in nature and relax an think. i just like to take the kayak out. sometimes im surprised at what i see.

modiyooch
06-29-2008, 10:27
Cool it! I think not! Those people need to be remembered and appreciated, not forgotten about.
this is not the proper place for this argument. again, you are way off base with me and you need not comment especially in this thread. I love and pray for my newphew. He definately is not forgotten or trivialized. Again, take your argument elsewhere. Why don't you try and find the proper forum or thread so that you can express your views.

double d
06-29-2008, 10:43
Modiyooch, great post, life is good and we should celebrate that, the war in Iraq was not your intended post and if Take A Knee has a problem with that,then thats his issue. God bless your nephew, may he be safe at all times. Kayak Karl, wonderful pictures.

take-a-knee
06-29-2008, 11:22
this is not the proper place for this argument. again, you are way off base with me and you need not comment especially in this thread. I love and pray for my newphew. He definately is not forgotten or trivialized. Again, take your argument elsewhere. Why don't you try and find the proper forum or thread so that you can express your views.

Maybe you need to go do some deadlifts to vent your frustrations. They help with hormone levels and weight loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc

Darwin again
06-29-2008, 12:12
That sounds a lot nicer than Iraq.

Another post-traumatic stress non sequitur...

Cookerhiker
06-29-2008, 12:25
Yes, life is good for us Americans - not just for those who have good jobs, good health, health care, live in a clean environment, have loving families - but for most of us compared to much of the world.

I'm not sure life is so good for residents of Zimbabwe or the Congo (where ethnic strife is rampant if unreported) or Myannmar both before and after the cyclone or those in China left homeless with loved ones dead after the quake.

So while enjoying and appreciating what we have, let us not forget the larger world.

modiyooch
06-29-2008, 13:14
Yes, life is good for us Americans - not just for those who have good jobs, good health, health care, live in a clean environment, have loving families - but for most of us compared to much of the world.

I'm not sure life is so good for residents of Zimbabwe or the Congo (where ethnic strife is rampant if unreported) or Myannmar both before and after the cyclone or those in China left homeless with loved ones dead after the quake.

So while enjoying and appreciating what we have, let us not forget the larger world.I have supported a few children/families in Zambia over the past 30 years. The one thing that I noticed from All these families when they write is their strong faith and christian love. I don't ever hear them complain and I know they don't have good jobs, good health, clean water etc. IMO Life is Good is not based on the factors enumerated above. There is far more to it. We don't have to go to other countries to find both sides of the coin in support of this discussion.

modiyooch
06-29-2008, 13:16
Maybe you need to go do some deadlifts to vent your frustrations. They help with hormone levels and weight loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc nah, I just take a hike. I highly recommend it.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2008, 13:26
another thread gone to **** :D

take-a-knee
06-29-2008, 13:33
another thread gone to **** :D

No Wolf, it started out that way, I was only too glad to help.

jesse
06-29-2008, 14:57
Where/what is the highest elevation resturant in the Eastern US?

Cookerhiker
06-29-2008, 15:24
I have supported a few children/families in Zambia over the past 30 years. The one thing that I noticed from All these families when they write is their strong faith and christian love. I don't ever hear them complain and I know they don't have good jobs, good health, clean water etc. IMO Life is Good is not based on the factors enumerated above. There is far more to it. We don't have to go to other countries to find both sides of the coin in support of this discussion.

I agree and have a similar story. My daughter served 2 years in the Peace Corps living in a village in N*ger. I visited her, spending 3 days in the village and was pleased to meet eveyone from the village chief to the little children. These people have very little in the way of material possessions and deal with poor food/nutrition, higher infant mortality, extreme heat & drought, and abject poverty. And yet.... while I wouldn't term them "happy" or "content" at least in the way we Westerners conceive, they were not miserable or self-pitying (or self-absorbed for that matter) or long-faced. I suspect many were "happier" than many more-affluent Americans (including some here on WB).

Their faith helped sustain them and in contrast to your experience with Zambians, they were Muslim.

4eyedbuzzard
06-29-2008, 15:29

I'd think atop Mt. Washington.

Cookerhiker
06-29-2008, 15:35

I'd think atop Mt. Washington.

My guess was off the Blue Ridge Parkway but I looked it up on the NPS website and the highest restaurant (Pisgah Inn) is about 5,000' somewhat short of Mt Washington. Perhaps the difference is the Pisgah Inn is a sit-down whereas isn't Mt. Washington a self-service cafeteria? Haven't been there in 15 years.

ed bell
06-29-2008, 15:36
I'd think atop Mt. Washington.I'm not sure what elevation the restaurant is, but there is one somewhere near the top of Mt. Mitchell. That's the one I think modiyooch is referring to.

4eyedbuzzard
06-29-2008, 15:44
I'm not sure what elevation the restaurant is, but there is one somewhere near the top of Mt. Mitchell. That's the one I think modiyooch is referring to.

Didn't know that. Never been up there. Thanks for the info. :)

Tabasco
06-29-2008, 15:46
I'll be on Kaua'i in 5 weeks celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary. yes, life is good

modiyooch
06-29-2008, 16:18
yep. Mt Mitchell. Elevation 6684'. I took the slogan "highest restaurant" straight from the menu.

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 16:47
yep. Mt Mitchell. Elevation 6684'. I took the slogan "highest restaurant" straight from the menu.

Are you sure that quote refers to the elevation? :D

modiyooch
06-29-2008, 17:57
if you are referring to $$, it wasn't badly priced. Right down do the yummy homemade cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.

BTW: Blue Ridge Parkway is closed beyond Mt Mitchell. I believe the road caved in or washed out. Also, observation tower on top of Mt Mitchell is closed for repairs. We still made a good day out of the visit. Good views, good company, and good food. short hike. temperatures in high 60s/low 70s. Not like the 96 degrees at my house.

ed bell
06-29-2008, 18:06
if you are referring to $$, it wasn't badly priced. Right down do the yummy homemade cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.

BTW: Blue Ridge Parkway is closed beyond Mt Mitchell. I believe the road caved in or washed out. Also, observation tower on top of Mt Mitchell is closed for repairs. We still made a good day out of the visit. Good views, good company, and good food. short hike. temperatures in high 60s/low 70s. Not like the 96 degrees at my house. Are you referring to the Parkway going south towards Asheville? I think that is where there was a bad washout/ road cave- in.

modiyooch
06-29-2008, 18:17
yes. Milepost 367.6 to 355.3 – Asheville Area
A rockslide and roadway failure has closed the Parkway to all activities including foot traffic and bicycling between the entrance to Craggy Gardens Picnic Area and the entrance to Mt. Mitchell State Park. The picnic area is accessible driving north from the Asheville area and the state park is accessible via the NC Highway 80 entrance to the Parkway. This road closure will remain in effect until late spring 2009.

I'm not sure when the road collapsed.