PDA

View Full Version : General question about Katahdin

Pepper Beard
06-29-2008, 00:11
Let's say you just show up at Baxter State Park via hitchhiking with no reservations wanting to climb Katahdin to start... expecting to go SOBO....

What are your options for starting here without doing stuff like illegally stealth camping...

Can you climb Katahdin from one side of the mountain w/o being on the AT, reach the top, then start the AT hike?

Thanks much, just curious....

rafe
06-29-2008, 00:22
I'm not an expert on Baxter's rules, though I've climbed Katahdin a few times. Baxter is a state park with limited access, particularly overnight access. All camping is at designated sites. As to your last question, the answer is, yes; there are numerous trails to the summit, the AT is just one of them.

TJ aka Teej
06-29-2008, 07:45
Since hitching to BSP will take you through Millinocket, stop at HQ and hope they have an open site for where and when you want. You can also call ahead, I think it's ten days in advance now, and try for reservations.

peakbagger
06-29-2008, 08:08
I will leave it to others to comment on illegally camping in the park. Just be aware that in order to get to the access points around the mountain, you will most likely be coming in from the Togue Pond gate and will be walking along park roads. If you catch a hitch outside of the park and get lucky that the people you are hitching with are driving to where you want to go (about a 50 50 chance) and you get lucky that they are day users rather than overnight users then you are part way. Hitching anywhere past the gate is not recomended as the roads are about 1.5 lanes wide and if a park worker sees you hitching with a full pack without reservations, questions will be asked.

The other option is to come in from the Abol bridge area off the golden road and hike into the park, but that cuts down your options for hiking up and over the mountain.

If you go to park headquarters mid week and try to get into a bunkhouse, you have a good chance and even getting tentsites are not out of question (but not cheap for one person)

As for hiking over the mountain, there are several great options all originating from Roaring brook Campground. Search this site for Helon Taylor/Knifes edge, Chimney Pond/cathedral, Chimney Pond/Saddle, Chimney Pond/Hamlin. There is also an incredible approach from the North from Russell Pond via the Northwest basin.

Jack Tarlin
06-29-2008, 08:12
You've received some very good advice so far.

For more info on the park, and specific info on camping, you might want to check out www.baxterstateparkauthority.com