PDA

View Full Version : Fuel bottle size

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 12:34
So I just bought (haven't received yet) a Simmerlite (on sale at EMS for $80) for winter use, and I'm thinking about the fuel bottle. I typically don't do more than a night or three during the winter months, but have no problem going out when its real cold and precipitatious.

So my question: Should I go with the 11 oz or 22 oz fuel bottle? I know there are many factors affecting fuel consumption, but for cooking three meals a day, maybe melting snow for water, about how much fuel can I expect to use over a three day period?

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 12:36
Let me add that I have zero experience with a WG stove, haven't even lit one yet. ;)

Thanks.

Lyle
06-29-2008, 12:42
If you are planning cooking three meals a day, and melting snow for water for three days, I would start out with the larger, see where it gets you. If that was overkill, then you just don't fill it all the way next time.

On the other hand, for one night, the smaller would be plenty. Buy both.

Sly
06-29-2008, 13:14
I used a Whisperlite and an 11 oz bottle on both the AT and PCT without ever running out of fuel cooking breakfast and dinner. Longest resupplies were about a week.

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 13:41
From the website: 1 oz of fuel will boil 1.5 L of water. So using an 11 oz bottle, it will boil 16.5 L. Over three days, thats 5.5 L/day. Of course, thats only water boilage, but you'd think it'd be enough right? :-?

woodsy
06-29-2008, 16:22
I've got the whisperlite (simmers close cousin) . Have the 22oz. bottle, wishing I had the 11 for short outings. Was thinking about buying the 11 oz. recently until I saw the price.

rafe
06-29-2008, 19:06
Whisperlite with 11 oz bottle... if used conservatively (3 cups H20 boiled per day) should last a solo hiker at least three weeks, I'd say.

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 19:13
Whisperlite with 11 oz bottle... if used conservatively (3 cups H20 boiled per day) should last a solo hiker at least three weeks, I'd say.

Please to read and comprehend my original question. I do appreciate your input and experience, but much more so when it actually addresses my question. ;)

woodsy
06-29-2008, 19:50
Please to read and comprehend my original question. I do appreciate your input and experience, but much more so when it actually addresses my question. ;)
Well I confess to sidesteppin the question best I could:)
Wouldn't want to be responsible for you running out of fuel if I told you the 11 oz. bottle would last 3 days in freezing conditions.
Melting snow does consume a fair amount of fuel.;)

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 19:55
I'd never pass responsibility to someone else for my own lack of.....whateverness.....I do appreciate the feedback though. :)

woodsy
06-29-2008, 20:37
Theres only a couple ounces difference in weight between the 11 and 22 oz bottles according to MSR. (http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/fuelbottle.asp)
Their price for the 11 is about $7.00 cheaper than EMS too.

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 20:44
Theres only a couple ounces difference in weight between the 11 and 22 oz bottles according to MSR. (http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/fuelbottle.asp)
Their price for the 11 is about $7.00 cheaper than EMS too.

Well, not just the weight of the bottle, I'm more concerned about the total weight of the fuel + bottle, in addition to size.

What is the weight of 1 oz. of white gas?

woodsy
06-29-2008, 20:50
What is the weight of 1 oz. of white gas?
Is this a trick question? LOL

oops56
06-29-2008, 20:55
1 oz. weighs 1 oz. or = 30mil.:confused:

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 21:02
oz are used as measures of volume and weight. The weight of a fl oz of water is different from the same volume of beer (fuel, whatever). This is to what I refer. Do the numbers that MSR uses (11, 22, 33) refer to weight? I think they refer to volume. Anyone know?

woodsy
06-29-2008, 21:16
The weight of Coleman Fuel(white gas) is about 6 lbs. per gallon.
I think its safe to say its close to an ounce per fl ounce or if you do the math, .75 ozs. per fl. oz.

Do the numbers that MSR uses (11, 22, 33) refer to weight? I think they refer to volume. Anyone know?You are correct, those #s refer to volume.

LIhikers
06-29-2008, 22:04
Get the smallest metal bottle you can, I believe it's the 11 ounce.
If you figure you need extra white gas with you then you can carry it in a plastic bottle such as used for gatorade, soda, water, ect. I've stored white gas in those kinds of bottles for months without any leakage due to the plastic deteriorating. Just make sure you wrap the plastic fuel bottle with duct tape so you can tell it from a bottle with water, or other drinks, in it. You wouldn't want to take a drink of white gas by mistake. I've been told it tasted terrible! :eek:

rafe
06-29-2008, 22:30

Did the best I could, saim. ;)

Bob S
06-29-2008, 22:58
I agree, buy the small bottle and take some extra fuel in a small plastic bottle.

gaga
06-29-2008, 23:19
http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/simmerlite.asp

rpenczek
07-02-2008, 08:33
My crew (group of 12) uses 1 8qt pot on a Primus multi-fuel stove for preparing group meals. When boiling 1.5 gallons (rehydration of food and dish water at the same time) for dinner and about 3 qts for breakfast (coffee/coco, instant oatmeal and dish water) we use about 11oz of fuel per day in summer, of course, we use more in winter. We use so much fuel because of the size/volume of the pot. But, there are 12 of us.

When my son and I are out on our own, boiling enough water for the two of us in a 1.5 ltr pot, 11oz of fuel lasts more longer than our weekend trips (dinner, breakfast, dinner, breakfast).

sirbingo
07-02-2008, 09:52
Also, remember the more empty space you have in your fuel bottle, the more you have to pump.

saimyoji
07-02-2008, 10:13
I agree, buy the small bottle and take some extra fuel in a small plastic bottle.

Is that a good idea to do with whitegas?

Also, remember the more empty space you have in your fuel bottle, the more you have to pump.

Well, I hope to learn all the tricks when it arrives today. :)

rafe
07-02-2008, 10:23
So I just bought (haven't received yet) a Simmerlite (on sale at EMS for $80) for winter use, and I'm thinking about the fuel bottle. I typically don't do more than a night or three during the winter months, but have no problem going out when its real cold and precipitatious.

So my question: Should I go with the 11 oz or 22 oz fuel bottle? I know there are many factors affecting fuel consumption, but for cooking three meals a day, maybe melting snow for water, about how much fuel can I expect to use over a three day period?

Let me rephrase my answer and try again: I find it hard to imagine that a solo hiker could use more than 11 oz of fuel on a trip lasting "a night or three." Unless he/she were intending to melt a bunch of snow...

Alligator
07-02-2008, 10:25
In the winter on the three day trips I bring the 22 oz bottle. I usally come home with a few ounces. I boil a liter of water in the morning, dump this into a 3 liter platy and add cold water. This keeps the water from freezing and I end up tossing in Polar Pur. I drink several hot drinks a day, 2 cups tea, 2-3 cups of cider/hot chocolate. I may cook lunch, and generally always cook breakfast and 1.5 dinners. Melting snow daily would likely put me beyond the 22 oz, but I haven't had to do that regularly since I got the stove.

I used to bring the 11 oz bottle for the weekend in Spring-Fall, but I switched to an alky stove.

Lighting the stove in my opinion uses a bit of gas as you need to prime it. I like to food and a hot drink one after the other without letting the stove cool. You may be able to boil the drink's water with your meal's. However, I have read that the increase in total water creates a more than a linear increase in the need for fuel. In other words, it may be more efficient to boil 2 cups than 1 cup rather than 3 at once. A stovie could maybe point you in the right direction.

saimyoji
07-21-2008, 10:21
Are the Primus and SnowPeak bottles compatible with MSR pumps?

envirodiver
07-21-2008, 10:34
I would get the 22 oz bottle (you don't have to fill it each time and the difference in bottle weight is not really significant in the overall scheme of heavier winter pack weights). Then play with the stove a bit (which you'll do anyway since it is new and you want to get the hang of it prior to going out). Put a measured amount of fuel in the bottle, run it for about 30 min. (not sure how you will cook or what you will cook). Let it cool down. Then pour the remaining fuel back into the measuring cup. See the difference, record it and then you can extrapolate it out to the trip you are planning.

I always want to have extra fuel on winter trips in case you get stuck for an extra day or if you have to melt snow (which as someone else mentioned does take extra fuel cause you have to melt it slow to prevent burning it).

This is what I would do, but I'm pretty conservative in the winter.

saimyoji
07-21-2008, 10:41
I would get the 22 oz bottle (you don't have to fill it each time and the difference in bottle weight is not really significant in the overall scheme of heavier winter pack weights). Then play with the stove a bit (which you'll do anyway since it is new and you want to get the hang of it prior to going out). Put a measured amount of fuel in the bottle, run it for about 30 min. (not sure how you will cook or what you will cook). Let it cool down. Then pour the remaining fuel back into the measuring cup. See the difference, record it and then you can extrapolate it out to the trip you are planning.

Yep, my thinking exactly.