PDA

View Full Version : ? about mesh pack-backs and sweat

Auntie Mame
06-29-2008, 13:04
Anyone use a mesh-backed pack and have experience with how it compares to a solid back: sweat accumulation and odor? I am thinking about the Deuter airs, Gregoery Jade, Opsprey Atmos...
Theoretically, they should be lots drier, but I want to know how they really compare for long distance hiking. Thanks.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-02-2008, 06:14
Anyone use a mesh-backed pack and have experience with how it compares to a solid back: sweat accumulation and odor? I am thinking about the Deuter airs, Gregoery Jade, Opsprey Atmos...
Theoretically, they should be lots drier, but I want to know how they really compare for long distance hiking. Thanks.
I've used a Deuter Air contact pack for a fair amount of hiking in Virginia in the summer and it was plenty hot and very humid. The pack offered some reduction in sweat, but not as much as a traditional frame pack like a kelty super tioga.
Overall I'm happy with the deuter, it was professionally fitted (frame bending) and I've found it very comfortable and easy to adjust.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2008, 06:17
He-Dino uses a mesh daypack and a frame backpack. He much prefers the frame pack for sweat and odor management. When we have had something in the daypack that could absorb sweat, it has often gotten damp.