PDA

View Full Version : First an introduction, then some questions.

BCFishMan
06-29-2008, 19:49
Hello,

This is my first post on here. I had posted some questions on thebackpacker and was directed here.

First off. Hello. I am 26, live in FL and have a wife and an 8 month old beautiful daughter.

Secondly,

I am planning on doing a 5 day hike (Hiking days will be the 18th through the 22nd of October). I would like to do the GA, NC, TN area pending on suggestions.

There will probably be around 8 people in total. I would like to do at least 10 miles per day but maybe more if you experienced hikers think so. It will be mainly beginner hikers (in shape) that have only done day trips. We will stay in shelters and hopefully be able to carry all food with us.

I will add information as questions arise. I would like to do areas that have good scenery and good shelters.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

4eyedbuzzard
06-29-2008, 20:07
EDIT: Oh yeah, and :welcome to an informative and sometimes insanely opinionated place.

Are you bringing your young daughter? Logistics of hiking/carrying a 1 year old are difficult and could be problematic for both you and others.

I noted you're from Florida. 10 miles per day doesn't sound like a lot until you add in elevation changes - even for somebody in otherwise good "street shape". Large groups are only as fast as their slowest member. And the more people the more delays. 10 - 12 miles per day for a group of 8 would be pretty ambitious given none have prior overnight hiking experience. You might very well do less in steep terrain especially if there is any bad weather.

Very risky to rely on being able to find shelter space for a group of 8. The 18th to 22nd is over a weekend as well. If the weather is nice there will likely be fall hikers out. You ALWAYS need to carry your own shelter even if you don't use it. And you'll pretty much have no choice but to carry all your food with you. You might plan your hike around a 2nd or 3rd day resupply where the trail comes near a town, or set up your vehicles by shuttling so one of them is at a trailhead you'll cross and go for a resupply from there or use it for a food cache.

Lilred
06-29-2008, 20:21
If most of your hiking is in Florida, you're in for a very rude awakening. I wouldn't try for more than 8 miles a day. The steep terrain while carrying weight on your back will really slow you up.

I second the advice on carrying a shelter of some kind. Many shelters will only sleep six or eight, and if others are already there, and it's raining, well, you get the idea.

Summit
06-29-2008, 20:27
Why not start with the beginning of the AT (Springer Mt) and aim for Unicoi Gap (50.9 mi.) or Tray Mt. (54.3 - USFS 79). Tray Mt. and shelter has some great views as does Blood and Cowrock Mtns.

October brings lots of 'fall leaf worshipers' so you might have trouble getting the shelters to yourselves as a group. In fact, with a group that size you should not plan or expect to monopolize shelters. The rule is 'first come first served' and all it would take is for 3-4 people to already be there and some of your group might not fit. Heavy rain? Forget it! You don't want to have to beg people who got there first to give up their shelter space because no one in your group has a tent.

I highly suggest planning on tenting for the entire group. Tent camping is so much better than shelter camping anyway.

Cookerhiker
06-29-2008, 20:34
I also recommend bringing a tent. As for the pace - 8 vs. 10 vs 12 or more, you know best what shape you're in. I"ll presume you can achieve your 10 mpd in which case here are some suggested itineraries:

1. Rt. 75 Unicoi Gap, Georgia to Rt. 64 Winding Stair Gap, NC - about 57 miles. Lots of up and down. One reward is this stretch covers Standing Indian Mountain, the highest point south of the Smokies. Come to think of it, you may want to hike this stretch southbound - saving most of the ups and downs for the second half. An advantage is that Ron Haven, owner of Haven's Motel in Franklin and a WhiteBlaze member can shuttle you.

2. Hike to Erwin from either Hot Springs (68 miles) or Allen Gap (53 miles). This will take you over Big Bald and other fascinating vistas.

3. Hike from Davenport Gap (northern end of the Smokies) to Allen Gap mentioned above - 51 miles.

Note that I'm suggesting you skip the Smokies on this hike, not just because of the crowds and hassle of shelter reservations but you desire of 50 or so miles doesn't mesh with the with the road crossing unless you're willing to hike one of the side trails.

Bulldawg
06-29-2008, 20:44
I would also vote for Winding Stair Gap to Unicoi--Southbound. That would make for an awesome 5 day adventure. And what everyone else said about the shelters. Bring tents for the group, for all the reasons listed, and so you don't have to limit your daily progress to shelter locations. Good luck and keep us posted!!

BCFishMan
06-29-2008, 20:45
I will not be bringing my daughter with me.

Rather stringent exercise requirements will be part of going. Not only being in shape but a lot of vertical (stair style) exercise is a must. I would like to be able to do 10 miles but your points are very valid. How much weight would you be looking at carrying if planning for a 5 day hike? I now there is a wide range for this but an average maybe?

I was told on another forum not to park on the pull offs unless you want your vehicle torched. :mad: What other options are available.

The day hikes I have done have been in the appalachian mountains and some things in the adirondacks and one in Maine. Not restricted to trails in FL.

I am like a sponge right now absorbing all the information I can get.

Cookerhiker
06-29-2008, 20:49
Have you consulted the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn07.pdf)? Lots of good info.

Gray Blazer
06-29-2008, 21:18
Welcome to WB!! I'm from FL and I've lived here all my life. I'm old and out of shape, but I'm used to what the AT in NGA and NC can offer. You can do 10 or 12 mile days but you might want to shoot for 8 at first. Hopefully y'all are training on stairs or stadium steps or treadclimbers. That will make it a lot easier when you arrive. The climbs in GA are a lot easier for the most part. Mostly 500ft elevation gains over a mile or so. When you get to NC/TN you can gain several thousand feet over 4 or 5 miles. That can make for some long climbs. The grades are easy and you'll get used to the climbs. Stop at the many springs and camel up. I carry 72 oz of water when the two coke bottles and the one gator-aid bottle are filled. (I'll never be a real hiker because I can't afford the equipment.) Invest in some shelters (mine weighs 7.5 pounds, but I carry it anyway. You should be able to do better than that.) Have some lightweight sleeping bags rated to about 20 dgrees and thermal underware and wool sox and cap. Trust me, you're a floridian now and your blood is thinning. Study the hiking stove forums. Try to keep everything lightweight while still carrying enough to survive. And listen to what everyone else on this thread has told you. They have listed some very good sections. Have fun.

Summit
06-29-2008, 21:56
I was told on another forum not to park on the pull offs unless you want your vehicle torched. :mad: What other options are available.I don't know about torched, never have run across a burned out one at a road crossing! :D There are some places safer to park than others. Between the 8 or so of you, will you have two vehicles so as not to need a shuttle service?

The Winding Stair to Unicoi Gap is a good suggestion also - probably my favorite section. If you secure your vehicle and do not leave anything of value visible that goes a long way toward reducing vandalism likelihood.

You should be able to get to between 30-40 lbs with your packs (including tents - 1 per two people). Some here on WB get down toward 20 lbs. but starting out as a novice, I doubt you'll achieve that right out of the gate. If I were going with you I'd be around 35 lbs. (carrying a 2-person Sierra Designs Lightning tent) and I'm 58 years young, and would have no problem doing 10-12 miles per day.

George
06-29-2008, 22:06
I would try a loop or 2 in the smokies, the east end (catalochee area) is not very busy but shelters are not at every spot if you did other areas in the smokies it may be possible to get reservations at a shelter each night for group of 8 at least for 3-4 days

dmax
06-29-2008, 23:26
Plan on having a back up plan. If a snow storm hits the high elevations, you'll want want to stay farther south on the AT.

Jack Tarlin
06-29-2008, 23:38
If I had five days that time of year in the South, I'd consider going from Erwin TN to Rt 19.

This will bring you up and over Roan Mountain, and then up and over the Roan Highlands, a spectcular stretch. There are all sorts of great places to camp; some beautiful shelters (including Overmountain, perhaps the prettiest shelter on the Trail); and some of the best scenery in the South.

And five days would be perfect.

Anyway, welcome to Whiteblaze and good luck with your hike.

Bearpaw88
06-29-2008, 23:49
If you start at Amicalola Visitor Center and do the Approach Trail to Neel's Gap it's about a 4 day hike doing 8 miles a day. ( Not sure of exact mileage as I do not have the companion in front of me.) That section has some of the nicest shelters I saw on the AT. ( Except Woods Hole ) I agree with those who recommend everyone have a tent. In that section I'd also recommend 8 miles a day, and try to have the pack in the 30lb range. I am not sure if your light weight or ultralight. Just try not to have anything over 40. Some of the hikers I met with over 40lbs in that section looked miserable. I am not sure how the water is in this area right now. You might want to check it out I believe there were some drought vulnerable sources there. Happy Hiking:)

Bearpaw88
06-30-2008, 00:03
If I had five days that time of year in the South, I'd consider going from Erwin TN to Rt 19.

This will bring you up and over Roan Mountain, and then up and over the Roan Highlands, a spectcular stretch. There are all sorts of great places to camp; some beautiful shelters (including Overmountain, perhaps the prettiest shelter on the Trail); and some of the best scenery in the South.

Roan Highland is extremely beautiful and the scenery is much better than Amicalola to Neel's Gap. I thought both were great hikes though. The GA section was more difficult I thought, but maybe because I was just starting and not in the greatest shape.

Lilred
07-02-2008, 11:13

And five days would be perfect.

Anyway, welcome to Whiteblaze and good luck with your hike.

I agree with Jack. This is my favorite section of trail so far.

Cuffs
07-02-2008, 11:24
For a more gradual into to BPing, try the Pinhoti. Why?
Closer to FL (its in AL)
Rarely used.
Has some shelters, you will need tents/hammocks or whatever.
Good ups and downs, but not quite as much as the AT, would be a good primer coming from FL.
5 days on the northern end of the trail, water is good, scenic and quiet.
With 8+ people, the shelters could accomodate you, if you had to use them.

Feral Bill
07-02-2008, 19:11
As a rule of thumb for groups, think 1 mph including breaks.