PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs Tent in thundershower

bloodmountainman
06-29-2008, 20:59
I went out for an overnighter on the eastern slopes of Blood Mountain this weekend. My buddy George and I were exploring logging roads looking for access to Jarrard Gap. We decided to make a base camp and explore out from there.
We knew the forecast was calling for scattered thunder showers so we geared up with that in mind. George wanted to experiment with my cheap little hammock and tarp tent. I decided to carry my old reliable Marmot 4 season tent.
To make a long story short, George had a peaceful nights sleep in the hammock, during an all night rain, while I tossed and turned on a Theromrest that had leaked down. My old Marmot also leaked on me for the first time in seven years!
It me be time to give these hammocks another look! I was impressed with the the way it weatherered that storm.

Bulldawg
06-29-2008, 21:04
I will tell ya BMM, if you get a good taut pitch with a good tarp that is large enough, the hammock is the route. I can't really explain the physics as to why, but it works. Number one, you aren't lying on the wet ground that is being inundated with rain. Now, beyond the rain, I can tell you, I sleep like a rock in a hammock. I can sleep mostly all night long unless nature calls. No waking up with a rock you didn't see in your back. My wife thought I was crazy sleeping in a hammock until she got to nap in mine on a day hike a few weeks back. I didn't think I was going to be able to wake her up. I think I might sleep better in my hammock than I do in my bed.

bloodmountainman
06-29-2008, 21:10
I will tell ya BMM, if you get a good taut pitch with a good tarp that is large enough, the hammock is the route. I can't really explain the physics as to why, but it works. Number one, you aren't lying on the wet ground that is being inundated with rain. Now, beyond the rain, I can tell you, I sleep like a rock in a hammock. I can sleep mostly all night long unless nature calls. No waking up with a rock you didn't see in your back. My wife thought I was crazy sleeping in a hammock until she got to nap in mine on a day hike a few weeks back. I didn't think I was going to be able to wake her up. I think I might sleep better in my hammock than I do in my bed.
Yep! Time for an up-grade, no-doubt. I bought a little 40$ hammock with bug netting for summertime camping. I used it a couple of times and I have had to work out a few bugs, but the thing sleeps VERY comfortable! I wanted to go the cheap route first to seeif "hanging" was for me. After the BIG rain test, I;m sold. Might need some help in deciding what to buy.

Bulldawg
06-29-2008, 21:17
Honestly, I made mine, bought my daughter one of those cheap $40 models like you are talking about. I had my underquilt made, but would let you see it to get a pattern if you wanted to make one or put you in tough with who made mine. Then I just use a regular bag inside the hammock, bag depends on what season it is. The same person who made my quilt, made my tarp. So most of my stuff if homemade.

Oh yeah, think about this too, the tarp when winter pitched works as a wind break as well. Then the cold and wind that makes it around the tarp still has to get through your underquilt, your hammock, and your sleeping bag. And I also use a pad in the winter.

You remember how tight down my tarp was pulled that 25*F night up on Wildcat? I woke up at 3AM that night sweating. I also went to sleep with a snickers in my pocket in case I got hungry, the thing melted into mush overnight in my set up. So it is warm to boot with the right gear.

Shadowmoss
06-29-2008, 21:32
Come on over to HammockForums.net and ask questions there. Hammocks are adicting. I now own, uh, 6, and 3 large tarps, and 2 pads, and a Speer underquilt... But, in my defense, I've only been hammocking for about a year. I'm sure I'll catch up with some of the others as time goes on. :)

There are a lot of DIY directions and help over there, too.

Cuffs
06-29-2008, 21:47
I'll take a storm in my HH any day over my old tent. High and dry really does mean something! Besides, no dirt to splash up either!

Summit
06-29-2008, 22:03
They don't string between boulders too well above tree line on the JTM! :D :p

Bulldawg
06-29-2008, 22:04
They don't string between boulders too well above tree line on the JTM! :D :p

Although much harder to find than trees, find the right two boulders at the right distance, with the right shape to hold your rope, and you can hammock between two boulders.

Bob S
06-29-2008, 23:29
I don’t know that you can call an old tent reliable if it leaks. A new tent in good shape will be every bit as dry as any other portable shelter.

Foyt20
07-02-2008, 11:29
Yep! Time for an up-grade, no-doubt. I bought a little 40$ hammock with bug netting for summertime camping. I used it a couple of times and I have had to work out a few bugs, but the thing sleeps VERY comfortable! I wanted to go the cheap route first to seeif "hanging" was for me. After the BIG rain test, I;m sold. Might need some help in deciding what to buy.

where did you get the $40 Hammock from? that sounds like a good price to try out a hammock.

bloodmountainman
07-02-2008, 11:38
I don’t know that you can call an old tent reliable if it leaks. A new tent in good shape will be every bit as dry as any other portable shelter.

First time in seven years.... she's been through a-lot! I love that tent, but I have found a 4 season preforms the worst in summer. Besides, my partner had my tarp over that hammock!!
I'm keeping the tent for winter only and will probably be hanging the other seasons.

bloodmountainman
07-02-2008, 11:46
where did you get the $40 Hammock from? that sounds like a good price to try out a hammock.
The 40 buck hammock is the Byer Mosquitto. .

Cuffs
07-02-2008, 11:53
First time in seven years.... she's been through a-lot! I love that tent, but I have found a 4 season preforms the worst in summer. Besides, my partner had my tarp over that hammock!!
I'm keeping the tent for winter only and will probably be hanging the other seasons.

Unless you are snow-camping, do you really need a 4-season tent?

cavscout
07-02-2008, 12:22
My son and I were out in our tents this weekend also. In short, most of the tents in our group flooded. My son and I were "high and dry". All I used was a ccf pad and a blanket.

Even in boulders, find you a couple of cracks and just put a couple of these stoppers in.
http://www.rei.com/features/zoom.html?img440=/media/497114%26style=698028%26sku=6980280082&imageServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&productInfoServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&TB_iframe=true&height=513&width=700

Otherwise, set up like a bivvy under your trap as usual.

cavscout
07-02-2008, 12:24
Oops, pic didn't come thru. Here's a link
http://www.ehow.com/how_6978_place-stopper-rock.html

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2008, 12:30
Byer of Maine Moskito

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42505

bloodmountainman
07-02-2008, 13:29
Unless you are snow-camping, do you really need a 4-season tent?
Nope. But I still have it and will still put it to use.
I like the hammock for a number of reasons and will probably become a full time hanger.

bigcranky
07-02-2008, 19:08
My hiking partner and I were out last week, and got caught in several frog-stranglers. We were both hammocking -- his first time off the ground. We were both very happy to be above ground when the rain was pouring down. Plenty of good locations for a hammock, but not very many decent campsites in the area (central VA) -- and those all looked prone to flooding.

BTW my new Maccat Deluxe tarp (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm) was fantastic. Worth every penny -- and not all that expensive to begin with.

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 08:50
I love hanging and relaxing in my hammock in a rain storm. Packing up the next day on the dry ground under me with all dry stuff is great. The only wet item is the fly, which gets packed last if it is still raining.

peter_pan
07-03-2008, 09:04
Hammocks.....Truly a better way to live out doors..... have not been to ground in over 6 years.... looks like another convert coming.... get a hammock you won't look back...;)

Pan

c.coyle
07-03-2008, 13:01
I'm not a hammock zealot like some, but twice now I've been hanging in one, in a hellacious thunderstorm, raining coming at me in near-horizontal sheets, just waiting to get wet because I know that stock Hennessey fly can't possibly handle this kind of weather, cursing myself for not springing for a Mac Cat - and I've been dry as a bone both times.

Pretty impressive. I would have gotten damp at the very least in a tent.

Might check out the new bridge at Rausch Gap this weekend. Hope everybody has a dynamite Fourth.

Grinder
07-03-2008, 13:15
my only reservation re hanging is gear storage.

With a tent you have either enough space inside or a vestibule for your gear.

With my hammock, the gear has to sit on the wet ground (assuming you set up during the rain. the worst possible situation).

I know about gear hammocks. I know about a dedicated pad for "stuff".

I just kind of envy the tenters coming out of the tent with the pack loaded and ready to go.

Grinder
does this make me a bad hammocker?? HA!

Bulldawg
07-03-2008, 13:21

With my hammock, the gear has to sit on the wet ground (assuming you set up during the rain. the worst possible situation).

I just kind of envy the tenters coming out of the tent with the pack loaded and ready to go.

Grinder

If there is any chance for rain, I simply rig up two ropes between trees and tie my stuff to it. Even normally when I am not expecting rain everything except my pack goes on this rope. I just string up an extra for the pack. Otherwise the pack goes on the ground directly underneath me.

cavscout
07-03-2008, 13:55
What I found was that taking down the hammock first under the tarp, I had more dry room under my tarp to reload my pack. Basically a 10' x 7' canopy as high as I string my ridge line to work, and walk around, under. I also lay my pack on a separate tarp under the hammock so the water goes under the tarp if any puddles form under the roof tarp.

If I had been in my tent I'd have been having to roll back and forth while rolling up my sleeping bag, then the pad, changing places with my son, rubbing up against the roof, hunched over, on my knees....

Getting in and out of a tent and trying to keep everything somewhat dirt and leaf free has always been a peave of mine. Some how I'm the only person I know who seems to think about this so maybe the problem is me :) I don't care though. I like a clean place to sleep. Hammocks allow me that easier than a tent and I'm a lot more comfortable after lying in a hammock compared to on the ground.

gold bond
07-03-2008, 14:01
Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I lean my my pack against a tree and put a thick garbage bag over it and I've really not ever had any problems unless my bag had a small hole in it somewhere...knock on wood!

take-a-knee
07-03-2008, 14:03

Grinder

What other gear? Besides my hammock/quilts, there is nothing in my pack but a clothing bag and a cook kit, both of which are simply hung from the ridgeline. My food bag is of course hung PCT style from a tree. My boots are hung from a piece of cord that is suspended from the hennessy ridgeline and hangs down through the slit opening, they are easily accessible and out of the rain. My empty pack is hung by its fastex top closure over the ridgeline behind my head.

Bulldawg
07-03-2008, 14:07
What other gear? Besides my hammock/quilts, there is nothing in my pack but a clothing bag and a cook kit, both of which are simply hung from the ridgeline. My food bag is of course hung PCT style from a tree. My boots are hung from a piece of cord that is suspended from the hennessy ridgeline and hangs down through the slit opening, they are easily accessible and out of the rain. My empty pack is hung by its fastex top closure over the ridgeline behind my head.

Yeah, basically the way I was describing it, but much more eloquent.

tlbj6142
07-03-2008, 14:49
just waiting to get wet because I know that stock Hennessey fly can't possibly handle this kind of weather, cursing myself for not springing for a Mac Cat - and I've been dry as a bone both times.Agree. I just can't understand why you need/want a bigger fly on a HH. Add some sort of fly tensioner and you're done.

I will say that I don't always use my HH on trips. Some times due to location (too few, if any, trees. Trees too big/far apart) and sometimes due weight considerations. I can carry a single 2# tarptent (homemade) that can sleep 3.5 people (when I bring my kids), whereas my HH alone weighs 2# and takes up more space in my pack. Plus I don't have any real comfort issues sleeping on the ground. So, bugs are the primary reason why I use my HH. If they aren't going to be an issue, I take my tarp/bivy.

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 17:49

Grinder

Not really... they have to come out and take down the tent and then figure where to put the wet thing. A hammock tarp can easily fit in a small side pocket, weighn less then a wet tent. I put my pack on the ground even if wet, sometimes on top of my shoes. The back of my pack is soaked and stinky anyway. I also carry a small sheet of sil that I sometimes uses as a "tick-free" place to sit. I can always use that.

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 17:51
Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I lean my my pack against a tree and put a thick garbage bag over it and I've really not ever had any problems unless my bag had a small hole in it somewhere...knock on wood!

I've used this method as well without any mishaps.

bigcranky
07-03-2008, 19:36
Agree. I just can't understand why you need/want a bigger fly on a HH. Add some sort of fly tensioner and you're done..

Well, um, I got pretty wet once with the stock Hennessy fly. It was raining sideways, hard, and coming in diagonally under one corner. My own fault for choosing an unprotected site.

Let me add that the extra covered area under my Maccat provides enough room for cooking and hanging out under the tarp, not just to cover the hammock when I'm sleeping.

Homer&Marje
07-03-2008, 20:42
I am very interested in this hammock camping you all speak of... i've seen it, wanted it, but have a few problems... I hike with a wife that likes to for a lack of scientific term, cuddle, separate hammocks would never work for her. Do they make a double hammock?? Secondly, if i was to buy one for my own solo adventures there is still the problem that i weigh 230 lbs, and if i was in better shape i would actually weigh more by up to 20 lbs, most of the hammocks i have found only have 200 lb weight restrictions, are these accurate or should i try to make my own?? any suggestions

tlbj6142
07-03-2008, 21:07
My own fault for choosing an unprotected site. Same can be said for ground tarp and tent users as well.
Let me add that the extra covered area under my Maccat provides enough room for cooking and hanging out under the tarp, not just to cover the hammock when I'm sleeping.On my most recent trip (2w ago) it was raining very hard and my father and i had no problems cooking breakfast under my stock HH tarp. Just use trekking poles, sticks, etc. to open the tarp up and make it nearly flat. Works great. And FWIW, I have yet to experience horizontal rain when I take my hammock as most locations with trees provide almost too much cover and block strong winds. That is the primary reason why I don't like hiking in the East. You can hear the wind, but never feel it save for a short ridgeline or two.

Incahiker
07-03-2008, 21:36
Not really... they have to come out and take down the tent and then figure where to put the wet thing. A hammock tarp can easily fit in a small side pocket, weighn less then a wet tent. I put my pack on the ground even if wet, sometimes on top of my shoes. The back of my pack is soaked and stinky anyway. I also carry a small sheet of sil that I sometimes uses as a "tick-free" place to sit. I can always use that.

Doesn't this apply for a hammock also? Both systems use a "FLY" to keep the moisture off the person sleeping in said hammock/tent. So both flys will be equally wet in the rain, and equally heavy. With newer tents you can take down the tent without removing the fly and just stuff the tent in the pack, then take down the fly afterwords, same wetness, same gain in weight no matter the tarp you are using. My Big agnes SL1 comes in around the same weight as a Hennessy hammock.

Hammock Hanger
07-04-2008, 07:06
Doesn't this apply for a hammock also? Both systems use a "FLY" to keep the moisture off the person sleeping in said hammock/tent. So both flys will be equally wet in the rain, and equally heavy. With newer tents you can take down the tent without removing the fly and just stuff the tent in the pack, then take down the fly afterwords, same wetness, same gain in weight no matter the tarp you are using. My Big agnes SL1 comes in around the same weight as a Hennessy hammock.

I guess that is true... I am so use to hiking with people who use single wall tents or tents that can not come down until after the fly is off and most of those tents are still pretty wet when coming down. I am not familar with the BA although I have heard good things about it.

Dow
07-05-2008, 09:52
{clipped} ...access to Jarrard Gap.... {clipped}

Years ago, I asked my workpal, "What did he do this time?"
He said that he and other trail maintenance folks blocked access to Jarred Gap due to over use. That was one of my favorite place. I had the whole place to myself one night.

Dow

Tinker
07-05-2008, 11:19

I've never had a wet floor on my hammock (nor a muddy one, either). I've recently added stainless locking ovals to each end of my hanging rope, which has always had the prusik loops for attaching the fly (Hennessy or my poncho - poncho mostly lately). I tie each end of the hammock support line to the tree hugger straps looped around the tree trunks, hook the tarp or poncho to the prusik loops, stake out the side guylines, then, under a nice, dry tarp or poncho, hook the hammock loops (cut close to the hammock body) onto the locking ovals (carabiners would work as well, but are much more expensive). When there is a lull in the rain, I slip on my windshirt and retension the guylines.
Oh, I should add that I've never had any wet sidewalls on my hammock. The dry hammock goes into the pack and the last thing I pack is the wet fly, guylines, and hammock support ropes in an outside pocket.

cavedive2
07-05-2008, 12:14
I am very interested in this hammock camping you all speak of... i've seen it, wanted it, but have a few problems... I hike with a wife that likes to for a lack of scientific term, cuddle, separate hammocks would never work for her. Do they make a double hammock?? Secondly, if i was to buy one for my own solo adventures there is still the problem that i weigh 230 lbs, and if i was in better shape i would actually weigh more by up to 20 lbs, most of the hammocks i have found only have 200 lb weight restrictions, are these accurate or should i try to make my own?? any suggestions

http://www.hammockforums.net/?

River Runner
07-06-2008, 00:38

The advantage would be that the hammock fly is generally a lot smaller than a tent fly, and as some have pointed out, no wet floor with a hammock.

Also, only some newer tents allow the inner tent to be taken down before the fly. Even then, you still have to fool with tent poles and usually more stakes than the 2-4 a hammock fly uses.

From what I've seen of the SL1, it can let a lot of water in the door and on the floor of the tent if it is raining as the user enters and exits. With the hammock, you simply duck under the edge of the tarp and everything underneath is still dry.

I've only had some spray once using my Hennessy Hammock, while on a ridgetop in a rainstorm with a lot of gusting wind, and readjusting the fly tension solved that.

chazmo
07-08-2008, 09:09
I bring a light plastic groundcloth for somewhere to stand and put gear on if the ground it wet. I have never had any problems with rain blowing in under my tarp. The biggest problem I have had in heavy rains is water running down my hammock straps/tarp ridgeline cords--a sock tied around both to divert the water solves that problem.

It's great to wake up on a rainy morning and have all this wonderful dry area under the tarp to pack up in!

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2008, 10:44
Well the Mosquito arrived and I set it up and at a possible 215-230 pounds it is straining like a guitar string. Byers claims 250 pounds and I really doubt it. It appears you can sleep in it, here it is in the backyard, the first night was a failure as my dog kept barking, and the road noise at my house is nuts.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/200804.jpg

bloodmountainman
07-08-2008, 10:52
Nice set-up Owl! I've been playing around with my little Byer hammock, and I have become a convert. Really a nice option down here in the South!
Looking into different tarps and can't wait to get everything together for a camp-out.The wife has become interested in hammocking and might even get back to backpacking with me.

Incahiker
07-08-2008, 10:58
Glad you like it. It looks like a really tight fit for you. I have an ultralight hammock that I use for day trips for naps and lounging, but there is no way I can sleep in a hammock all night, too restricting. Glad for you that can though, its very easy to set up and VERY LIGHT!

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2008, 11:43
Well I haven't made it thru a night, I will try again tonight, I just have to "adjust" the dog. - Also rolling over really shakes a tree! no its not tight at all, there is quite some room, I just have trouble with the instructions telling you to sleep on a diagonal when the screen forces you to be lengthwise. I will work it out.

tlbj6142
07-08-2008, 12:17
The whole diagonal thing is quite a misnomer. I use to try to really sleep "diagonal" in my HH without much success, until I realized that "diagonal" just means feet on one side of the center line, head on the other side. Nothing more. And in a hammock as small as the one shown above, I doubt that is even possible.

RadioFreq
07-08-2008, 12:17

I have an HH Assym (not the Ultralite) that has seen a fair amount of use for the past 6 years. I too, weigh ~230 lb and mine is still going strong.

tlbj6142
07-08-2008, 12:20
I have an HH Assym (not the Ultralite) that has seen a fair amount of use for the past 6 years. I too, weigh ~230 lb and mine is still going strong.I have the HH ULA BP model, 200# listed capacity. I called Hennessy about that number, they told me they expect another 20-30# of gear to be in (or hanging on) the hammock above that number.

Cherokee Bill
07-08-2008, 17:22
:-?I'm thinking of... purchasing a "Jacks Are Better Bridge Hammock".. The thing allows you to sleep in a "flat-position". Will also use there XL-tarp. At 61-yo I want to try to get off the hard-ground:D

gold bond
07-08-2008, 19:52
I purchased a HH Deluxe Explorer A-sym hammock. I have had it set up in the backyard for a few days and have slept in it fine. It rained very hard the other night as we had a terrible storm. I purchased this hammock because the fly was the larger of all the others. I did not get any water in the hammock thank goodness. My problem is with the "diagonal" design of the fly itself. Is a longer more "square" design better? How hard is it to use a seperate fly by a differant manufacture with this hammock? I was looking at Ettewah Outfitters 10'X12', is that way to big? Any suggestions and/or advice will be appriciated.

take-a-knee
07-08-2008, 20:55
I purchased a HH Deluxe Explorer A-sym hammock. I have had it set up in the backyard for a few days and have slept in it fine. It rained very hard the other night as we had a terrible storm. I purchased this hammock because the fly was the larger of all the others. I did not get any water in the hammock thank goodness. My problem is with the "diagonal" design of the fly itself. Is a longer more "square" design better? How hard is it to use a seperate fly by a differant manufacture with this hammock? I was looking at Ettewah Outfitters 10'X12', is that way to big? Any suggestions and/or advice will be appriciated.

Some use and like the Etowah, JRB sells a good tarp, many like the Speer Winter Tarp from Speer Hammocks, but the "go to" hammock tarp is the OES Macat. I have the Deluxe model. All OES tarps are catenary cut (slightly scalloped edges) that dramatically reduce flapping in the wind.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/MacCat%20Standard%20Hammock%20Tarp/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/

gold bond
07-08-2008, 21:34
Some use and like the Etowah, JRB sells a good tarp, many like the Speer Winter Tarp from Speer Hammocks, but the "go to" hammock tarp is the OES Macat. I have the Deluxe model. All OES tarps are catenary cut (slightly scalloped edges) that dramatically reduce flapping in the wind.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/MacCat%20Standard%20Hammock%20Tarp/Owner%20Review%

20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/

This is soooo wierd! I had just googled and went to the OES website and had convinced myself that this was the tarp for me but I was still looking to make sure that it would work with the HH that I have. I am assuming that it will. Why did you buy the "deluxe" over the "ultra"? I know it is a personnel preferance but just wondering.I feel that after looking at the other tarps that the MacCat is the best tarp at the right price. Thanks for all your help. I am new to the hammock community and am working out the kinks on my set up so any advice is surely appriciated! Thanks!!

take-a-knee
07-08-2008, 23:03
This is soooo wierd! I had just googled and went to the OES website and had convinced myself that this was the tarp for me but I was still looking to make sure that it would work with the HH that I have. I am assuming that it will. Why did you buy the "deluxe" over the "ultra"? I know it is a personnel preferance but just wondering.I feel that after looking at the other tarps that the MacCat is the best tarp at the right price. Thanks for all your help. I am new to the hammock community and am working out the kinks on my set up so any advice is surely appriciated! Thanks!!

I use the regular length Hennessy so the OES Ultra would be TOO long, it could be longer than the space between the trees I wanted to hang my hammock between. If you have the longer hammock you might want the Ultra, it is new I believe, so I guess enough tall guys asked for it. A lot of gram counters use the Standard size but I went with the Deluxe and I'm glad I did. Having said that I'll likely buy a Speer Winter Tarp also. You can close the ends off to eliminate the wind tunnel effect when it gets too breezy in the cold.

gold bond
07-09-2008, 07:00
I use the regular length Hennessy so the OES Ultra would be TOO long, it could be longer than the space between the trees I wanted to hang my hammock between. If you have the longer hammock you might want the Ultra, it is new I believe, so I guess enough tall guys asked for it. A lot of gram counters use the Standard size but I went with the Deluxe and I'm glad I did. Having said that I'll likely buy a Speer Winter Tarp also. You can close the ends off to eliminate the wind tunnel effect when it gets too breezy in the cold.

THanks so much for your help. Will this hammock thing ever get any easier!!:eek:

bigcranky
07-09-2008, 08:18
This is soooo wierd! I had just googled and went to the OES website and had convinced myself that this was the tarp for me but I was still looking to make sure that it would work with the HH that I have. I am assuming that it will. Why did you buy the "deluxe" over the "ultra"?

The Deluxe is longer, and provides better coverage on the longer hammock. I just took my Maccat Deluxe on its maiden voyage last month, and it was great. Given how the Deluxe fits, I don't think the Standard tarp would be long enough for the 9-foot hammock.

Next up: separate the tarp from the hammock, so you can hang it by itself. That makes setting up and tearing down much easier in bad weather. I like the orange Spectra cord from www.gossamergear.com, and two of the small Figure-9 tighteners as the main lines for the tarp itself. I also use small triangular line tensioners on my four guy out lines with MSR Groundhog stakes. This lets me guy out the tarp fairly wide most nights, but bring it in close when the weather gets rough. I think I have some photos I could post.

I can hang my tarp, then drop my pack underneath out of the rain. Then I hang my hammock while staying mostly dry. (I have modified my hammock to use 1-inch poly webbing and carabiners for the hang.) In the morning, I can take down the hammock while still under the protection of the tarp. Finally, the tarp comes down and gets stuffed in an outside mesh pocket on my pack, and I can start walking.

All that said, my hiking partner was using his new Explorer Asym, with the stock fly and suspension, and took the same massive thunderstorms, and stayed dry. His fly sagged a lot, but still protected the hammock. So you don't really *need* an aftermarket tarp, but I'm sure happy with mine.

cornflake
07-09-2008, 09:21
Another advantage to a hammock is that you can sit in it. I always set it up first thing after I drop my pack and take a take a load off the dogs for a few minutes. Disadvantage: so comfortable that I often end up taking a snooze before I finish setting up camp. Oh well.

gold bond
07-09-2008, 10:20
Hey BC thanks for the info. I did order some of the line as I have been looking for a lightweight line to have in my pack anyway. I have had my rig set up for the past 3 days and have had some good storms and all in all things have stayed dry. I do however would like the "security" of a full fly if at all possible. Taking weight and space into mind, if I can allow for both it sure would be nice.As you know hear in the south east we get hammered at times! I have decided to go with the deluxe and will place my order today! Thanks for all your help and advice.

Bulldawg
07-09-2008, 10:22
Another advantage to a hammock is that you can sit in it. I always set it up first thing after I drop my pack and take a take a load off the dogs for a few minutes. Disadvantage: so comfortable that I often end up taking a snooze before I finish setting up camp. Oh well.

Exactly what I do. I always lay down in mine to test my hang, make sure all is secure and right, before continuing on with the camp set up. I usually end up snoozing a bit myself. But man ain't it nice to be able to do. I will sometimes even hang my hammock at lunch if I am feeling a little tired, take a small power nap in it after eating. That's something you can't do with a tent. I mean, you could I guess, but who would want to???:banana:banana

gold bond
07-09-2008, 10:58
At Philmont this year I got into a bad habit. When we would get to our campsite I would set up my tent. I did not want to get into it with my boots on so I would lay in it with my boots/feet hanging out just to make sure it was "level" and "flat"..... Somtimes I would find a nap in there and have to get it out! Everyone got to joking that when they seen my boots laying outside my tent with my feet still attached they new I was cleaning the inside of my tent out!

SteveJ
07-09-2008, 11:25
THanks so much for your help. Will this hammock thing ever get any easier!!:eek:

chuckle....for several years, I refused to do anything other than the stock tarp / setup on my HHULBPAsym...then started looking at taking it in January, and talked myself into the Speer Winter Tarp (Pic below)....then learned about "slapstraps" and went went them.....setup / tension adjustments are much easier.... My 12-y.o. and I both slept in the Winter Tarp on top of Shining Rock in January - me in my hammock, and he on the ground...don't think we could do it now, and have the tarp go to the ground as we did then, because he's grown....but it was toasty warm under that sil tarp with both of us in it!

gold bond
07-09-2008, 21:35
Well I think I almost got my answer as to how my hammock would work in a bad storm. As you all know I have had my hammock set up for the last 3-4 days as we were expecting rain everyday. Some good storms have gone thru and for the most part the set up did well....untill tonight. we got a doozie of a storm...I mean a real frog strangler! The lightning was ferocious and the rain was as hard as any I have seen in awhile and the lightning was relentless. The wind blew a good size limb, about 4-5 inches around, down and it fell across the front end of my rig....knocked the fly down and the wind caught it and flipped it across the hammock. I could not find the stake so I abandoned ship as the lightning was just to bad to be out there if I really didn't need to be. I went back out to check it all and didn't find any tears or damage so I think all will be alright except I got three inches of water in my hammock! I'm just glad the limb didn't hit me! On the trail is one thing but to get it in my own back yard would be crazy!

Bulldawg
07-09-2008, 21:42
Well I think I almost got my answer as to how my hammock would work in a bad storm. As you all know I have had my hammock set up for the last 3-4 days as we were expecting rain everyday. Some good storms have gone thru and for the most part the set up did well....untill tonight. we got a doozie of a storm...I mean a real frog strangler! The lightning was ferocious and the rain was as hard as any I have seen in awhile and the lightning was relentless. The wind blew a good size limb, about 4-5 inches around, down and it fell across the front end of my rig....knocked the fly down and the wind caught it and flipped it across the hammock. I could not find the stake so I abandoned ship as the lightning was just to bad to be out there if I really didn't need to be. I went back out to check it all and didn't find any tears or damage so I think all will be alright except I got three inches of water in my hammock! I'm just glad the limb didn't hit me! On the trail is one thing but to get it in my own back yard would be crazy!

Perfect opportunity to mention here that when some of your tent bound hiking companions are looking around the area you have all intended to camp for flat rock free spots to pitch a tent, you should be very careful to strain your neck making sure you are setting up under trees with the safest looking limbs. I try to always pick a few sets of trees and then check the area above them for broken or unhealthy looking limbs. While a "frog strangler" furious storm is apt to dislodge even the strongest, healthiest of limbs, being under the safest looking ones will increase your odds of riding out the storm in perfectly dry, safe conditions.

gold bond
07-10-2008, 08:10
Perfect opportunity to mention here that when some of your tent bound hiking companions are looking around the area you have all intended to camp for flat rock free spots to pitch a tent, you should be very careful to strain your neck making sure you are setting up under trees with the safest looking limbs. I try to always pick a few sets of trees and then check the area above them for broken or unhealthy looking limbs. While a "frog strangler" furious storm is apt to dislodge even the strongest, healthiest of limbs, being under the safest looking ones will increase your odds of riding out the storm in perfectly dry, safe conditions.

Good point, very valid point but these were good and healthy tree's though, all green. Last year we had all dead or damaged tree's removed from our backyard at a hefty price I might add. Still after watching news reports this morning it is believed we had a "mico-burst" and had winds in excess of 60-80 MPH so even though you think you've checked your spot thourouly it wouldn't hurt to recheck after you have set up just to be sure you did't miss anything. Lots of wind damage thru out the town and still alot of people without power. Like BD said you can't be to safe!

bigcranky
07-10-2008, 16:01
Wow, glad you are safe. A microburst is pretty close to the worst thing that can happen while sleeping in a hammock. It's in the top five, anyway.