PDA

View Full Version : Vestibules on the HH Rainbow?

Foyt20
06-29-2008, 22:47
Does anyone have pictures or a description of what the HH Rainbow (Not the Double, the Single) with the fly closed? I have looked at every picture of it i could find, and none of them have the doors closed (everyone must have Great luck with the weather all the time ;)). Or do you have a description of what the dimensions are ( cant find those either). Thanks for your help everyone :D

rafe
06-29-2008, 22:50
Does this help?

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0849_ann.jpg

Foyt20
06-29-2008, 22:56
It sure does. Its a better idea than i have gotten anywhere else :D

Foyt20
06-29-2008, 22:58
Actually, im a dummy sometimes. I just noticed the links to the cad drawings which gave a better previw than most of the pictures i have seen.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 09:55
There is also a photo on the tarptent website photo gallery page of a single Rainbow with the doors closed with a bicycle and cactuses in in Mexico, on the ninth row down. Next to it is a photo of the back side.

If you are wondering how big the vestibule is, I keep my shoes in it but there is plenty of room inside the tarptent to keep your pack at one end unless you are very tall and you could probably find room even then. There's no real "dead space" on the floor plan like there are with a lot of shelters because the sides are steep.

Foyt20
07-02-2008, 11:49
Im just trying to figure out which tent i should get that can fit my dog in with me (So we dont stay in a single shelter :D).

I am between the Rainbow and am looking at the REI Quarterdome T1, and putting her in the vestibule. I own a 2 person tent that has more than enough room for 2 people (ie, my fiancee and I) but it weighs 5+ lbs and is a bit much to carry for just me.

Anywhoo...

Thanks for the pictures and to Tater for the suggestion on the pictures at tarptent.com, i must have just looked that over and never read the captions (A.D.D. really is a bitch sometimes :D)

Any thoughts to compare the two (The rainbow and the Quarterdome T1)?

rafe
07-02-2008, 12:01
FWIW the Rainbow is the roomiest solo backpacking tent I've ever used. (Eureka Gossamer, Sierra Designs Lightyear, and now the Rainbow.) Large "floor plan" and steep sides so that it's all very useable.

LIhikers
07-02-2008, 12:22
Im just trying to figure out which tent i should get that can fit my dog in with me (So we dont stay in a single shelter :D). ...............................Any thoughts to compare the two (The rainbow and the Quarterdome T1)?

My wife and I have a one person Tarptent Rainbow.
When my wife hikes solo she takes our dog, an 80 pound shephard, along and they both fit fine inside the Rainbow.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 12:33
Yeah, I don't know what kind of dog you have or how you sleep together but the single Rainbow is bigger than your average single-person tent. Certainly in an emergency it could sleep two. A couple who spooned and zipped their bags together would be okay in it as well. I don't think the vestibule would fit a large dog though, and any dog big enough to fit in the vestibule would easily fit in the tent itself. Like terrapin said, pretty much the entire footprint is usable space.

Foyt20
07-02-2008, 22:26
well this tent would be for me solo, or me with the dog. She is a puppy still (4 months) so she is not up to the hiking time yet. Still working on Leash walking and the like.

We are expecting her to be about 70lbs or around there, so i guess the rainbow would work as a solo, and dog accompanied tent. Thanks for the info guys. I guess i just have to wait for my economic stimuli check to come in :D.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 23:16
I guess i just have to wait for my economic stimuli check to come in :D.Are you sure you're getting one? Mine was direct-deposited quite some time ago.

jaywalke
07-03-2008, 07:31
Are you sure you're getting one? Mine was direct-deposited quite some time ago.

They went out in waves, based on your SS#. I'm in the last group, too, and they are supposed to go out by July 11.

But my Rainbow will be here 3 days before that! Woo-hoo!

rpenczek
07-03-2008, 08:23
I like my room, so I use a double rainbow as a solo tent. You could easily put you, the better half and the dog in a double rainbow (for 2.5 lbs). Even with you all in the tent, gear can still go at the head or foot or in the vestibule.

Foyt20
07-03-2008, 10:29
I will look into that rpenczek. that may be another solution.

And Tater, The last 2 of my SS# is 93 so i am in the last group, and i forgot a check to direct deposit the payments so i have to wait for it to come by snail mail. Soon, very soon.

Appalachian Tater
07-03-2008, 11:00
And Tater, The last 2 of my SS# is 93 so i am in the last group, and i forgot a check to direct deposit the payments so i have to wait for it to come by snail mail. Soon, very soon.That's great, I just imagined you lying in bed at night staring at the ceiling, eagerly anticipating a check that would never come!

Foyt20
07-03-2008, 15:33
im rofl'ing in my office right now :D