PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stove

cavedive2
06-29-2008, 23:27
I have been playing around with an alcohol stove the (SODA CAN) kind and was wondering from those who use them what is the coldest temp you have ever used them. Although it's summer and very hot now I plan on useing this during the winter months and would like to know what I should expect to it in temp wise.

cavedive2

Bob S
06-29-2008, 23:34
They really aren’t winter stoves, they work but are slow. White gas is the performer in the winter.

Put it and the fuel in the freezer, let it sit over night and then try it out before it warms up to give you a feel for it in the cold.

Sleeping with the fuel bottle in your sleeping bag to keep it warm will help you cook faster. So will insulating the stove from the cold ground. And a wind screen is even more important in the winter.

Bob S
06-29-2008, 23:43
It uses more fuel and I’m sure some will say it’s dangerous (because it is), but dousing the outside of the stove with fuel and lighting it on fire will help bring it up to a better cooking temp quickly. But care must be taken as alcohol flames are very hard to see in the daylight.

I have done this with good results, but we all should decide how adventurous we want to be. I like to live and not cower away in a corner.

cavedive2
07-02-2008, 11:25
They really aren’t winter stoves, they work but are slow. White gas is the performer in the winter.

Put it and the fuel in the freezer, let it sit over night and then try it out before it warms up to give you a feel for it in the cold.

Sleeping with the fuel bottle in your sleeping bag to keep it warm will help you cook faster. So will insulating the stove from the cold ground. And a wind screen is even more important in the winter.

That is a good Idea I will do that I know that the pocket rocket does well in the winter and may be used if this alcohol stove is not going to work in the winter but I have been reading allot about them lately and thought that I might change over to alcohol.

Thanks for the info
cavedive2

Kirkman
07-02-2008, 12:34
I don't know about the soda can stoves. I have a Trangia and have used it winter camping down to 19 degrees and it worked fine. It does take 30 seconds to warm up. then cooks just like it does when it's hot out.

TFin04
07-02-2008, 12:53
I also use a Trangia and have used one years ago when the snow was falling. We added a bit of fuel to the lip that is on the sides of the jets (overpriming it basically) and it warmed up pretty quickly and worked just fine.

I like to put some foil down on the ground to direct heat back up into the system. Wrap your windscreen about as tight as you can without choking the system of air and it will stay nice and toasty under the pot to cook.

There is nothign better than your favorite warm trail meal after a long day of hiking in the cold.

sheepdog
07-02-2008, 18:48
I've started taking an alcohol stove with me in addition to my other stove. It adds just a little weight and gives me a chance to experiment with different stoves in different conditions.