PDA

View Full Version : Skittles and Recess on the CDT

Marta
07-02-2008, 06:26
I did indeed have a great time hiking with Skittles and Recess in Glacier. They started SOBO on June 15th. There were two hikers ahead of them, a British guy (Andy) and Hermes.

I just heard from Recess. She and Skittles made it to Lincoln, MT, yesterday.

Conditions in Glacier were...challenging, to say the least. A tremendous amount of snow. High water.

Of the CDT hikers who started around June 15th, four have made it to Lincoln. (Skittles, Recess, and two hikers from Colorado--Burke and Andrew.) One hiker was rescued and helicoptered to a hospital. Dad's Grin has gone home. Another hiker is taking a short injury-recovery rest break, and will resume hiking in a few days. Six hikers (including Andy and Hermes) rented cars and drove from East Glacier down to Wyoming, to hike where they hope there's less snow and water. A couple more spent a few days in East Glacier, and should be in the Bob right now.

It was definitely a fantastic learning experience for me. I had some snow and ice axe fun, and then yellow-blazed around the sections that seemed like way too much of a good thing. (Triple Divide Pass provided one guy with a self-arrest and another with a broken hand.)

I can't wait to read the update to Skittles' TJ.

Sly
07-08-2008, 18:04
Sounds like you had a great hike considering. June 15th is usually on the edge of being early due to snow. If you waited another week most of the "challenges" would have been less.

Marta
07-08-2008, 21:34
Sounds like you had a great hike considering. June 15th is usually on the edge of being early due to snow. If you waited another week most of the "challenges" would have been less.

Yeah, I know that when I go back to hike it for myself (without the yellow blazing), it will be a week or two or three later in the year.

Skittles said that it was probably the best single week of hiking he'd ever had.:rolleyes: I think he may have revised that a week later, after an even more brutal week between Marias Pass and Benchmark.

Recess emailed that they were leaving Helena yesterday.

rhjanes
07-08-2008, 23:42
I've been reading Skittles Trail Journals. The PHOTO's are wonderful...