PDA

View Full Version : I Love this Place....

slamajama
07-02-2008, 08:20
I love WhiteBlaze. Its helped me get into hiking (slowly maybe..lol)the opinions and information have been invaluable. I was shocked to see that there was so much "drama" that the owner of this site felt the need to re-evaluate if it is still needed and to write additional guidelines for conduct.
I dont frequent here as much as most so I have no facts or opinions of what is going on (and believe me i dont want to know...) but i would have to agree, adults should act like adults young or old. I have other hobbies, one is that I keep a coral reef tank and am very active (im coming to a point soon) on that site, I find that spending too much time on a particular site makes peeps feel they have some type of vested ownership or responsibility to right wrongs or correct mistakes....let that go its a road that leads to un-needed stress.
I hope in the end cooler heads prevail and to shake peverbial hands and we can all continue to find WB as informative as it has always been.

I just recently heard a quote that i thought was a great...

"...with one drop of understanding, we can cure a sea of hate and mistrust."

be well all, and lets not screw the pooch...just my 2c,
mike

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2008, 08:24
Well said, Mike.

Hoop
07-02-2008, 08:37
I'm with ya'. KISS is my motto.

gold bond
07-02-2008, 08:55
I love WB!! I have gotten so much great advice and info that I could never repay all of you guys for what you have done for me. I've been gone for two weeks so I don't know what I missed but either way I will always be loyal to WB!!

TOW
07-02-2008, 09:01
I'll have to agree, WB is the best hiking site there is. And I agree with attroll's decisions to do what he thinks is best for HIS site.

Jason of the Woods
07-02-2008, 09:13
I'm not sure how people hiked before the internet. Follow paint on a tree every few feet.......tough stuff.:D

Fiddleback
07-02-2008, 09:27
This is the first 'camping' forum I found and visited regularly. I doubt I'll ever see the AT again but that's basically where I got my backpacking start decades ago...and White Blaze is where I began my return to bp'ing this decade. As I pointed out on another forum, I have a soft spot in my heart for this website.

But rules are rules. And there's two sides of 'em; obey and enforce. Enforce the rules and we won't (and wouldn't have...) any problems. I particularly like #2, 10 and 13.:D But the whole list (WhiteBlaze User Rules/Agreement) is quite well thought out. I truly appreciate those behind White Blaze and I know their continuing efforts will ensure WB is second to none.

If the political forums don't return I'm miss 'em. I really enjoyed what mature, i.e., rule-following:rolleyes:, discussions there were. But not everyone has the self-discipline, i.e., maturity, to obey the rules without adult supervision...

FB

notorius tic
07-02-2008, 10:12
The info here is the best site for anyone trying to gain Great info on any thing outside of your HOUSE.. Tent or Hammock.. Water situations ect.. I was Shocked when I went on Monday an the site was down the FLORIDA forum got me to find new friends to hike with in my neck of the Woods.. Dont shut the site down because of a few bad Apples the Orchard still has many that like to RIPE... TY ATROLL for keeping the SITE ALIVE Notorious Tic.. Peace an Safe Hikeing All

The Weasel
07-02-2008, 11:40
I'll have to agree, WB is the best hiking site there is. And I agree with attroll's decisions to do what he thinks is best for HIS site.

It is, I believe, not just his site, but that of both him and "Sgt Rock." Both play critical roles in this site and have since the day they saved it several years ago.

TW

Sly
07-02-2008, 12:28
It is, I believe, not just his site, but that of both him and "Sgt Rock." Both play critical roles in this site and have since the day they saved it several years ago.

TW

While they may own it, have controls and do as they please, it's also a "community of AT enthusiasts". That means everyone here.

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 12:47
I'm sure that ATTroll and Sgt. Rock will do what they think is best for the long and short term continuation of the site.

I enjoy meeting folks here, learning about new gear, getting info on trails, and I've found some new hiking partners.

Sly
07-02-2008, 13:29
What's the old saying? "You're only as good as your last hike". The trail changes. I don't often seek help from those that hiked a trail several years ago or more, but from current hikers. This, and last years hikers, have more to offer than "trail legends."

slamajama
07-02-2008, 16:00
im sorry, i just got home and started reading from the first reply, and how it just degraded...it threw me

mudcap
07-02-2008, 16:38
I am new here. Is it always this way?I hoped to learn about the AT for an upcoming trip. I have questions,but feel a little intimidated.I don't want to get hammered for asking a simple question.

Alligator
07-02-2008, 16:40
I am new here. Is it always this way?I hoped to learn about the AT for an upcoming trip. I have questions,but feel a little intimidated.I don't want to get hammered for asking a simple question.Ask away mudcap.

Survivor Dave
07-02-2008, 16:44
:welcome

Don't be intimidated. We hope you find WB to be a large source for Appalachian Trail hiking and Bacpacking information.

It is a really cool site.

SD

I am new here. Is it always this way?I hoped to learn about the AT for an upcoming trip. I have questions,but feel a little intimidated.I don't want to get hammered for asking a simple question.

bullseye
07-02-2008, 16:46

The site has had it's verbal fisticuffs at times, usually due to egos, but it looks like Atroll and Rock are heading in the direction of a kinder, gentler WB. I applaude their efforts, and hope that you find this site to be what you were looking for Mudcap.

Jason of the Woods
07-02-2008, 16:52
What is this all about? I just opened an account and am confused as to where I am. Do Thruhikers act like this nowadays?

Odd Thomas
07-02-2008, 17:03
What is this all about? I just opened an account and am confused as to where I am. Do Thruhikers act like this nowadays?

There are section hikers and day hikers here too, even an occasional speed runner.

doggiebag
07-02-2008, 17:11

Don't let the current postings turn you off. There are some real experienced people on this site that are active hikers and are more than willing to answer hiking related questions, organize excursions and share trip reports. What you are seeing today is fallout from recent flame wars between a few individuals based on petty personal differences and perceived slights. It will get better when folks settle down again.

River Runner
07-02-2008, 17:21

I think cyberhikers mainly. ;)

I'm glad to see Whiteblaze back. It really is a source of great information, and also a place that I feel I've made a lot of friends, even if some are just cyber-friends. Even better, I've met a couple of folks from this site in person, like Ron Haven and Lone Wolf. Both of whom I feel I can rely on for any help I might need when I hike in their area, and would consider a friend.

mudhead
07-02-2008, 17:28

the straight forward forum will insulate you from alot of that.

mudcap
07-02-2008, 17:37
Thanks all,I was worried. I just found this place before it went down. I noticed way to much bickering but also noticed a great deal of info. I was just wondering if the feuding would stop after the meltdown,glad to see it is going to be monitored. I look forward to participate.

mudcap
07-02-2008, 17:40
the straight forward forum will insulate you from alot of that.

Thanks Mudhead,I appreciate the info. I have not looked in there yet. BTW,funny how similar our usernames are. Mine comes from my favorite fishing hole as a kid.

Sailor (The other one)
WB is also my favorite site. I start and end each day with it. I was also shocked at first by the shut down, but I read a lot of posts about the reasons and became conviced it was sensible. I've read the new rules and agree with them. I think Rock and ATTroll have made a wise decision and I think WB will be better for it.

For the new folks, even when there was some nasty bickering, before this recent change, WB was just too good a resource to give up. Now, especially, you don't need to be intimidated. And if you need to wait around a bit before posting a question, try the search function. This site is so rich with information that it is likely your question has already been answered. I strongly suggest you go to the articles section. It s a small hikers' encylopedia.

funkcicle
This place is great.. I'm doing about 400 miles of section hiking this summer and can't imagine how much less prepared I'd be were it not for this site. Am registered at about 6 different hiking/outdoors sites and this is the only one I find worth checking every day, muchly glad it's here.