PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Hikes

geeselight
07-02-2008, 09:57
What is everybodys favorite overnight hike in the park?

Odd Thomas
07-02-2008, 10:00
What is everybodys favorite overnight hike in the park?

Raven Rock state park camping by the Cape Fear River/canoe camping, due to being transportationally challanged and/or cheap and close.

geeselight
07-02-2008, 14:23
Sorry. G.S.M.N.P

HikerRanky
07-02-2008, 16:56
This could be considered a day hike, but it makes a real relaxing overnight hike.

Drive up to Clingman's Dome, take the AT towards Double Spring Gap, get off at the Goshen Prong Trail. About halfway down Goshen Prong, you'll hit Campsite 23... Spend the night there...

Next morning keep going down Goshen Prong Trail, cross over Little River, and intersect with Little River Trail. Take Little River Trail down for about a mile or so, and then you can either stay on that trail next to the river, or you can take Cucumber Gap Trail... I like the Little River Trail best.

Both drop you out in the Elkmont area.

Of course, if you want a more challenging hike, reverse this.... The ascent from Goshen Prong up to the AT is about 1000'/mile for the last 3 miles...

Odd Thomas
07-02-2008, 16:57
Raven Rock state park camping by the Cape Fear River/canoe camping, due to being transportationally challanged and/or cheap and close.

sorry, someone squashed my glasses today :o

Ashepabst
07-02-2008, 17:13
The trip up to Gregory Bald, via the Gregory Ridge Trail is one of the best hikes in the park. Mt. Sterling using the Baxter Creek Trail is another winner. Also: ferry to or paddle to the Hazel Creek area.

Marta
07-02-2008, 18:21
For a fairly strenuous overnighter, I like to start at Big Creek Ranger Station, hike to campsite 38, and then go back the following day. There are several trails that can make that work, but it's essential to go over the top of Mt. Sterling. ;-)

Ashepabst
07-02-2008, 18:54
For a fairly strenuous overnighter, I like to start at Big Creek Ranger Station, hike to campsite 38, and then go back the following day. There are several trails that can make that work, but it's essential to go over the top of Mt. Sterling. ;-)

CS#38 is one of my favorites. a less strenuous, 2-day trip can incorporate sterling by coming up the big creek trail, staying at #36 or 37, and staying on the mountain the second night.

i did this route last labor day and was amazed by how lush everything was despite the dry(er) season and the drought.

Hikes in Rain
07-04-2008, 08:06
Big Creek Trail has always intrigued me, from 321 near Newfound Gap down to Bryson City. Follows the creek, several campsites to choose from.

geeselight
07-05-2008, 09:48
Thanks for the great advice everybody.

sliderule
07-15-2008, 00:12
A great two-night hike is Newfound Gap to Icewater Springs. Visit Charlies Bunion and the Jumpoff. Next day take the Boulevard Trail to Mt. Leconte. Last day take the Alum Cave Trail. Hands down the best two night hike in the park.

Shuttle the car before you start hiking. Thumbing a ride back up to Newfound Gap is usually very easy.

Christus Cowboy
07-15-2008, 08:39
I like the Ridge Trail at Cumberland Gap. Put in at the Ewing Trailhead hike up to the White Rocks take some pictures, then go to the Sand Cave and take some more pictures and resupply with water. From there go to Martin's Fork Campsite and setup camp. This campsite has a privy, reliable water, and bear cables for hanging food bags and packs. Next morning break camp and go see Hensley's Settlement take more pictures then take the Ridge Trail back to the Ewing Trailhead.

gollwoods
07-19-2008, 22:02
Hike up indian creek trail from deep creek campground and up the deeplow gap trail/thomas divide to newton bald and back on the sunkota ridge trail to the indian creek trail again or go down to deep creek trail to the campground. solitude hiking for the most part!!

Plodderman
07-19-2008, 22:52
Clingmans Dome to South to anyone of three Shelters or around Fontana Damn and Lake.

edtheshark
07-24-2008, 16:58
I agree with "HikerRanky" Goshen Prong is an awesome trail, I did it comming down off the AT in the winter time, but in the summer or when its warm there are places to swim and small cascades all over. And if you like wetter hikes there is suppose to be some cool trails out of Treemont, but I myself have not hiked them, yet.