PDA

View Full Version : SteriPen?

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 13:48
Has anyone used this before? If so how durable is it, and how well does the solar charger work?

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2008, 14:04
There is a weath of information on this product here, Not many folks use it, Some find it too delicate for the pack (It breaks) and others prefer to use iodine if they are not allergic, or like me I pump filter everything.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4145165

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 14:05
i was thinking about pump, but ive read that they dont take viruses out. What has been your experience with the pump? Because i'd rather get that.

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2008, 14:07
Well some pumps have an additional iodine attachment, I can't use that, but I never got sick pumping the water.

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 14:15
Well i guess ill get a pump then. I was worried about the steripen batteries because i counldnt buy more because they were some weird 123 things.

Boudin
07-02-2008, 14:15
I have about 800 miles on my SteriPen. I have not had any problems with it. I used it on the PCT. The only time that I have ever wished that I had a filter was when the only water source available to me had horse crap in it. I zapped it with my SteriPen and quickly drank 2 liters. I didn't get sick.

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2008, 14:25
123 is a very common battery used in cameras & all door & window wireless alarm systems. They are very available. They are designed for long life.

ChinMusic
07-02-2008, 14:34
Do a search on "Steripen" on White Blaze and you will find MANY previous threads. If you are interested in info, this would be your best strategy. Click on this link:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4145338

The unit is NOT any more fragile than a filter. But yes, if you "hit it with a hammer" it will break. If you choose the orig Steripen, batteries are not an issue. I am unsure as the availability of the batteries used in the Adventurer. The lithium batteries are light and last a LONG, LONG time for a sole hiker. Carrying an extra set is not an issue.

I have used the Steripen with success for two seasons without fail. I carry it on my belt and have a Gatorade bottle on my belt as well. I can stop, get water, treat water, and move on, all without even taking off my pack if I choose.

IMO the Steripen is the BEST solution for treating non-turbid water (as is mostly found on the AT).

A good back-up, whether you use a filter or the Steripen, would be some Micro Pur tablets.

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 14:43
123 is a very common battery used in cameras & all door & window wireless alarm systems. They are very available. They are designed for long life.
Oh, i had never heard of them before this product. I think I'll get one and My friend can get a filter so we can have a backup.

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 14:46
i was thinking about pump, but ive read that they dont take viruses out. What has been your experience with the pump? Because i'd rather get that.

Sweetwater has a purifier system that includes a filter to remove all but viruses and a dropper bottle of Chlorine for virus disinfection.

Many people don't worry too much about viruses in the remote sections and go with just the filter to remove bacteria and protazoans. Urban areas and areas with more people would be more likely sources of viruses. However, that's a personal choice.

The First Need Filter is the only purification filter. It removes bacteria, protazoans and virus, but it's heavy at 1 lb.

ChinMusic
07-02-2008, 14:48
I'll get one and My friend can get a filter so we can have a backup.
That is a good plan if hiking together. The Steripen is wonderful for reasonably clear water, but it is problematic when dealing with tubid (muddy) water.

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 14:54
The First Need Filter is the only purification filter. It removes bacteria, protazoans and virus, but it's heavy at 1 lb.
Hmm, 1 lb? I'm sure i can arrange some stuff differently to make up for that. I like the sound of that one though.

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 14:54

I use them in my MiOx system and while available they are VERY expensive (about $15-16 for 2 batteries). They do seem to last a long time in the MiOx.

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 14:57
Hmm, 1 lb? I'm sure i can arrange some stuff differently to make up for that. I like the sound of that one though.

I used it for years and still do occasionally. It backwashes well and also removes organics, because the filter is made of a carbon matrix. Since it does backwash the cartridge lasts a long time. I quit carrying it because of the weight. I hike solo a lot and it was tough to justify.

LovelyDay
07-02-2008, 14:59
7/2/2008
Why concern yourself with the charger while spare batteries may be purchased at WallMarts? I felt comfortable using a steripen through Central VA for the entire month of June. As a backup, I also carried a pump and only used that once or twice. I plan to leave the pump home and save the weight during future trips.

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 15:04
I used it for years and still do occasionally. It backwashes well and also removes organics, because the filter is made of a carbon matrix. Since it does backwash the cartridge lasts a long time. I quit carrying it because of the weight. I hike solo a lot and it was tough to justify.
I'm going to be hiking with 1 or 2 friends so we can alternate or something loke that.

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 15:15
I'm going to be hiking with 1 or 2 friends so we can alternate or something loke that.

Not as fast as some, but not slow. It screws directly onto a nalgene bottle for the output. Allows you to drink immediately of cold water and not have to wait for chemical treatment.

But, so does the steripen.

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 15:18
Not as fast as some, but not slow. It screws directly onto a nalgene bottle for the output. Allows you to drink immediately of cold water and not have to wait for chemical treatment.

But, so does the steripen.
I think i'm going to get both (so i have a backup). Have one friend carry the steri pen and one carry the first need, and just alternate every day.

ChinMusic
07-02-2008, 15:51
Oh, I would forget about the solar charger thing. IMO it is a royal PITA. Stick with Lithium batteries. DO NOT go with regular batteries as they are heavy and have to be changed MUCH more often.

Keith Z
07-02-2008, 16:05
Oh, I would forget about the solar charger thing. IMO it is a royal PITA. Stick with Lithium batteries. DO NOT go with regular batteries as they are heavy and have to be changed MUCH more often.
The website even said not to use the regular kind.

Hoop
07-02-2008, 16:48
The charger is a useless add-on.

MAD777
07-02-2008, 16:49
WATER TREATMENT METHOD

Parts:
1 liter soft-sided wide-mouth Nalgene canteen 2.0 oz
GSI coffee filter with threads to match canteen 1.7oz
6”x6” piece of noseeum mosquito netting 0.1oz
1 oz. charcoal (from Aquarium shop) 1.0oz
Steripen Adventurer (including batt. & case) 3.6 oz
2 CR123 batteries for Steripen 0.0 oz
Chlorine Dioxide tablets (for back-up) 0.2 oz

Total Weight (includes drink container) 8.6 oz

At home, sew a small bag from the noseeum netting about 1 cubic inch in size, to put the charcoal in.

In the field, screw the GSI coffee filter onto the wide-mouth canteen.
Place the net bag of charcoal in the filter.
Scoop up water.
Put your hand over the top and swish to increase contact with charcoal.
Remove GSI filter/charcoal.
Squeeze canteen to bring water to top rim of the mouth of the canteen.
Use Steripen Adventurer.

Note 1: if water source is turbid, place folded bandana over opening of the canteen when scooping water.

Note 2: If water source is opaque with tannins, etc. and will not filter out by means above, this method is not appropriate as UV light treatment relies on clear water.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 17:13
Oh, i had never heard of them before this product. I think I'll get one and My friend can get a filter so we can have a backup.Smart. Even if carrying a filter or Steripen it's a good idea to have a few iodine tablets or other method of purification as a back-up. You can also boil water if you can build a fire.

The nice thing about a filter such as the Katadyn is the quality and taste of the water. Once I pumped out of a turbid drainage ditch with oil sheen on it from road run-off because there was no other choice and got clean, good-tasting water out of it. Probably wasn't too good for the filter, though.

Also, use common sense when choosing water sources when possible. For instance, a stream downhill from a cow pasture is a poor choice.

4eyedbuzzard
07-02-2008, 17:34
The charger is a useless add-on.

The steripen(s) gets reasonably good reviews. The charger does not. Most reviews say it barely charges the batteries enough for a single use and it's awkward to attach to a pack. Add that much of the AT isn't the sunniest of places after the leaves bud.

I've been using the Adventurer model this spring on two short trips so far with no problems. I don't think breakage would be an issue with any reasonable care. CR123 batteries are easy to find but expensive. If you buy a box of 20 or more online you can save a lot of money. They're $4 to $5 each at a store but you can get them for $1.50 to $2.00 each online if you buy bulk and the shelf life on them is 5 to 10 years.

ChinMusic
07-02-2008, 17:55
As a side:

The Steripen is also handy at home for those times your area is under a "boil order".

It is also handy on foreign trips where the local water may not agree with our wimpy American defenses. This does not apply to Lone Wolf........;)

Press
07-02-2008, 22:45
I've used Steripen Adventurer and it works fine as far as: batteries stay charged, easy to use, durable, I haven't gotten sick so I guess it is working. However, I also have used iodine and when you put most any kind of powdered drink stuff in the iodine-treated water, it tastes great and is a lot less trouble than fooling with the Steripen. But again, on the other hand, you do have to wait a half hour before drinking the iodine-treated water. And as many others have noted here, if the water is dirty, you'll need to use a coffee filter or something combined with the Steripen. Finally, the Adventurer won't fit in a Gatorade bottle. If you like gadgets (I do), get one, otherwise, don't bother, is my suggestion.

Bob S
07-03-2008, 01:40
One nice thing about a filter is it improves the taste of water. The Steripen and boiling don’t.

As far as batteries. I try to have everything I buy run on AAA’s this makes it a lot easier to have a spare set to put into whatever device needs it.

GolfHiker
07-04-2008, 21:43
Chin ol buddy, I was just out, met some thrus using the Steri pen, and was certainly intrigued. Now that I know you are a steripen advocate, I'm sure to have one soon!

ChinMusic
07-04-2008, 22:34
Chin ol buddy, I was just out, met some thrus using the Steri pen, and was certainly intrigued. Now that I know you are a steripen advocate, I'm sure to have one soon!
I didn't know you posted here.....cool.

Yogisan (formally known as Jimmysan) has the Adventurer model. I might go that route if I were to buy again but the orig model fits so nicely on top of a Gatorade bottle, it would be tough to give up. The Steripen is not nearly as an attractive option given the less-than-clear water supplies we are used to in Indiana. For the AT it is the bomb.

I started a thread on blisters a week or so ago and thought of you when Injinji socks were mentioned. Hey, don't tell anyone on here that we carry the Sling-Light chairs for weekend trips. We might get teased..........:cool::D

GolfHiker
07-05-2008, 08:31
Chin: I would never tell anyone that you & I have Sling-lights... Oops, now they know. Chair envy is a horrible thing!
Take care....

ChinMusic
07-05-2008, 11:32
Chin: I would never tell anyone that you & I have Sling-lights... Oops, now they know. Chair envy is a horrible thing!
Take care....
In my avatar I'm sitting on mine, atop Triple Peak Pass, Glacier NP.

Tinker
07-05-2008, 12:10

I've used a First Need since 1987 and haven't had a problem with water borne illnesses since then. There are a lot of things I've done to get my base weight down, but I haven't even considered another water treatment solution - well, ok, I Did buy a Seychelle filter from Backpacking Light but never used it for hiking after realizing it couldn't do what my filter does (is there another filter out there that filters out food dye)? First Need recommends checking the condition of the filter by doing just that.
On durability: I dropped one from chest height onto my kitchen floor and broke the inside part once. It may be more fragile than some others.

Uncle Tom
07-05-2008, 13:18
It is awesome. I used it all the way on my thru-hike and folks I was hiking with sometimes used mine instead of their pumps, Aqua-Mira, etc. One set of batteries last me three weeks, with daily use. I bought the C123's at a discount from LLBean , $20 for a box of 12. I met two other folks who used them and they didn't break either. There is really nothing to break. It is a rugged unit. Has a good hard plastic cap plus a Cordura "holster". I'd suggests wrapping a strip of red duct tape around it so you don't lose it. it is black and yellow. They say it doesn't work in the winter, but I grab mine and slide it into my sleeping bag if is below freezing out to warm it up a bit in the AM and it worked fine. Like anything else, people have their mindsets about devices ike there, but this one is a keeper.